Author Topic: Pacific Rim Uprising  (Read 6931 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Pacific Rim Uprising
« on: 21 July 2017, 00:59:30 »
Well, the first bit has hit the net . . .

Its a interesting teaser with a different approach.  Honestly, part of it reminds me of the fake commercials used for Star Citizen's BMW-type spacecraft.

We will see how well it follows on the original . . . I hope it has the same feel but with a different team behind the movie I am just not sure.  I also want them to bring back the custom Jaeger bit so I can make one for my kid, too bad that site came down.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Pacific Rim Uprising
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2017, 01:15:49 »
I see nothing in that teaser comic-con trailer to make me interested..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2017, 01:39:46 »
Yeah, one of the comments I saw in other areas discussing the images presented vs Del Toro's Pacific Rising was the rust, mud and scrapes made the machines seem more real than the shiny objects in the teaser.

From what it says, its 10 years later and none of the original cast except for the profs are back?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2017, 02:12:18 »
I am a bit tired of teasers that are nothing more than in-universe commercials. Actually, I'm a bit tired of teasers in general.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2017, 02:47:30 »
But, general griping aside...I like some of the pseudo-advertising in this, though I suspect that thumbing their noses so hard at superhero movies is inviting disaster. The robots look far too agile, with none of the mass of the first movie's machines. One of the things I liked about Pacific Rim is that it took a Japanese trope - super robots vs. kaiju - and translated into the Western idiom, without disrespecting the source material or its audience. (Sound familiar, BattleTech fans?) But this line-up of sparkly-clean, streamlined, super-agile Jaegers is a bit worrying; they look like a superhero team.

The brief shot of the "dirty" skinned hero Jaeger shows more promise, but there's still not enough feeling of scale.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2017, 02:50:46 »
Yeah, leave the teasing to the women folk.

As for the teaser... Meh, watching it I kept thinking... Game? Anime? Cross between Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell? Robot Jox spinoff???

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2017, 05:04:31 »
Looks like they have single pilots to the jaegers now.  If that's true, I'm a bit disappointed...

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2017, 08:20:25 »
Considering that story wise they were originally single pilots....

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2017, 12:32:03 »
Considering that story wise they were originally single pilots....

Huh? The history bit that played in the first movie said they never got the single pilot Jaegers out of development. It wasn't until they figured out the Vulcan Mind Meld...err...Drifting that they were able to get the Jaegers to actually work. It was shockingly rare that you had a pilot who could handle a Jaeger by themselves without blowing out their frontal cortex.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2017, 13:21:06 »
Yeah, one of the comments I saw in other areas discussing the images presented vs Del Toro's Pacific Rising was the rust, mud and scrapes made the machines seem more real than the shiny objects in the teaser.

From what it says, its 10 years later and none of the original cast except for the profs are back?

Wa/  None of the original cast but those 2 duncy dimwits are returning?

But, general griping aside...I like some of the pseudo-advertising in this, though I suspect that thumbing their noses so hard at superhero movies is inviting disaster. The robots look far too agile, with none of the mass of the first movie's machines. One of the things I liked about Pacific Rim is that it took a Japanese trope - super robots vs. kaiju - and translated into the Western idiom, without disrespecting the source material or its audience. (Sound familiar, BattleTech fans?) But this line-up of sparkly-clean, streamlined, super-agile Jaegers is a bit worrying; they look like a superhero team.

That is a good chunk of why i was "Meh"..  They seem more like transformer run-offs setting up for a street fighter battle, with their poses, and agility..  Than big assssssss robots getting ready to duke it out with monsters..

Looks like they have single pilots to the jaegers now.  If that's true, I'm a bit disappointed...

Especially since in the first, they spent so much time focusing on the whole "you need 2 minds" angle of things..

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2017, 13:59:03 »
Wa/  None of the original cast but those 2 duncy dimwits are returning?

Rinko Kikuchi is coming back. It's tough to bring back a lot of the cast because, well, they're dead.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2017, 14:02:44 »
True . . . you had the 3 (4?) surviving pilots out of 9 or 10- I never could tell if the triplets all were in Crimson Typhoon at once or not.  But you also had the PPDC folks in the command center.
Colt Ward

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2017, 14:53:22 »
True . . . you had the 3 (4?) surviving pilots out of 9 or 10- I never could tell if the triplets all were in Crimson Typhoon at once or not.  But you also had the PPDC folks in the command center.

Five. Beckett, Mori, and the triplets survived. Hopefully the new film will explain why Choi is gone, I liked the character.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2017, 15:02:47 »
How did all 3 triplets survive?  At least two were crushed when Typhoon's head was around them.

Beckett, More, Hanson and maybe a trip.
Colt Ward

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2017, 15:39:35 »
Eh, if it's been a full decade after the events of the first flick, I expect the few surviving pilots to have retired from active service. That doesn't bother me.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2017, 15:44:30 »
I soooooooooooooooooooo want that awesome Jaeger's spinning grinder/blender/mace-fist thing in Battletech !!! Can't wait to see THAT wee beastie in action.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2017, 16:20:30 »

Exactly.  There were plenty of those in the command center who survived, plus the oriental chick and the pilot of the Jager that blew up.. Since both ejected..

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2017, 18:02:37 »
Five. Beckett, Mori, and the triplets survived. Hopefully the new film will explain why Choi is gone, I liked the character.

Sadly, the triplets DIDN'T survive. If you watch carefully, their cockpit/control pod gets crushed in.

Beckett, Mori, and the injured Herc Hansen were the last remaining pilots, and the new back-story has Beckett having finally really retired and moved on and no indication about Hansen's fate. Stacker Pentecost's son is supposed to be the lead character now, with a new era of pilots backing him.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2017, 18:09:07 by Black_Knyght »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2017, 18:38:35 »
i'm curious to find out why there are still jeagers.. i mean, the breach was sealed and the facility on the otherside destroyed. so there shouldn't be any more kaiju coming through. so the main reason the jeagers existed shouldn't apply any more.

so if they still have them, even developing a whole new generation of them.. they gotta be using them for something

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 21 July 2017, 18:52:50 »
John Bojaeger! (ba dum tss)

I dunno, its been a while since I saw any in-universe teasers... brings me all the way back to Verhoeven's Troopers in fact. I'm eager to see lots of Jaegers duking it out with whatever cuz lets face it chaps, this is the closest we'll get to Battletech live-action for a while...

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2017, 20:08:47 »
Of the surviving characters from the first movie, we have Raleigh and Mako, and then Herc.  Raleigh exuded "done with this shit" for half the movie thick enough to spread via butter knife, Mako was in it for revenge on aliens, and Herc was already near retirement age ranger or not.  Then there was the Ops Guy, the scientists, and Ron Perlman.

Everyone else of note is dead.

For what I hope are obvious reasons, I don't mind that they're not coming back.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Black_Knyght

• Captain

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2017, 23:39:56 »
Interesting info there. Jeez, why didn't I think to check Wikipedia? I had thought del Toro was out completely.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 22 July 2017, 01:04:58 »
So when the wiki says "the oceans have been still but restless".  Does that mean the Kaiju are coming back through some how?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 22 July 2017, 01:36:51 »
So when the wiki says "the oceans have been still but restless".
Does that seem oxymoronic to anybody? Oh, and anyone remember "Something Has Survived"? :P

I'm curious to see how they'll spin it - a 2nd rift or pockets of surviving kaiju hidden away or mutated terrestrial life from all the Kaiju Blue spilled in the ocean.

I wouldn't have minded a prequel set at the height of the Jaeger era...

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 22 July 2017, 15:47:46 »
How did all 3 triplets survive?  At least two were crushed when Typhoon's head was around them.

Because bad memory on my part?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #26 on: 22 July 2017, 15:58:28 »
I believe all three were supposed to be in the cockpit, but the set itself (which, remember, was a massive practical effect) could only support two actors. I rewatched Pac Rim 1 last night, and the interior shots of Crimson Typhoon were busier and briefer than the other three Jagers. I think del Toro was trying to imply three pilots at once without having to build another entire cockpit set, and didn't quite pull it off.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 22 July 2017, 17:03:17 »
Does that seem oxymoronic to anybody? Oh, and anyone remember "Something Has Survived"? :P

I'm curious to see how they'll spin it - a 2nd rift or pockets of surviving kaiju hidden away or mutated terrestrial life from all the Kaiju Blue spilled in the ocean.

I wouldn't have minded a prequel set at the height of the Jaeger era...

And since they popped off a nuke UNDERWATER, i can also see that helping the 'mutation' of life cause of that blood..

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #28 on: 22 July 2017, 18:08:25 »
I wonder if they are still using the two pilot system? Because I have a feeling they figured out how to do it with one pilot now. As for why more Jaegers. Its simple, the wall was supposed to be there replacement and it failed, catastrophically. And even with the breach being destroyed there was no hint that was a permanent thing so it would make sense to restart Development and new construction of at least a small unit of Jaegers as a 'just in case' option.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2017, 18:48:03 »
There has been nothing to suggest a single-pilot system.

Register