Author Topic: Will Smith Does Shadowrun?  (Read 2864 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Will Smith Does Shadowrun?
« on: 23 July 2017, 03:55:07 »
Why haven't I heard of this before?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOl4ygrkZT4

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Will Smith Does Shadowrun?
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2017, 04:38:51 »
That... actually looks pretty good. Does have a slight SR vibe to it.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2017, 06:11:15 »
Only thing missing are the Street Samurai, Riggers and Deckers.

Looking forward to watching it.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2017, 09:21:45 »
lol... My first thought was SR prequel.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2017, 10:36:58 »
I look forward to checking it out.

Worries me a little though.  If it tanks, it greatly reduces our chances of a real shadowrun movie because no studio will want to touch the idea for a long time.  If it's a hit, it could also hurt our chances because shadowrun would end up looking like it was just ripping off this one.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2017, 12:24:10 »
I do hope it's good. So far the go-to movies I've had for explaining Shadowrun are "Bladerunner and Johnny Mnemonic, with dragons and wizards too."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2017, 12:25:35 »
Yeah... "Bright with cybernetics" will be much simpler to explain if it catches on.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2017, 00:12:34 »
Smith is a cop in the movie.  If it were Shadowrun, he'd be a bad guy, not the main character.

Of course, this is a Netflix movie, so it's not going to have a theatrical release.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2017, 09:35:57 »
Why haven't I heard of this before?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOl4ygrkZT4

Because as mentioned above, it's a Netflix production.
The GF showed this to me the other night. Glad I wasn't the only one getting a 'wish this was Shadowrun' vibe there. But then again, I was also thinking 'Alien Nation, but fantasy' vibe too.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2017, 13:14:16 »
This could still work as a Shadowrun premise, make the cop a Lone Star operative that gets screwed over at the end and bam you got prequel material for the main set up next movie.

But then again, I was also thinking 'Alien Nation, but fantasy' vibe too.
I miss Alien Nation so much.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 13:15:47 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2017, 15:39:02 »
Will, doing a Netflix only movie?? Wow.  Never thought he would do that..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2017, 16:38:54 »

Looks like they weren't pinching pennies on the affects so I'm guessing they had the budget for it.   Also, not unheard of for an actor to take a role simply because they wanted to do it regardless of the payout.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2017, 16:41:56 »
Brad Pitt did a Netflix movie as well called War Machine

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2017, 16:52:56 »
There are plenty of big-name actors in straight-to-video movies. Netflix is a step or two above that, in my opinion.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2017, 23:55:26 »
The winds of entertainment are changing.
Years ago an actor would never consider some TV hour slots worth a career, until some big title finally broke that misconception.
Same for voicing and acting in video games, such a thing was a death sentence for your career.
Nowadays it is a decent revenue stream for those who can't perform the stuff they used to do on camera so many years ago.
The streaming platforms and contemporaries are the next "why I'd never..." plateau that will inevitably become standard platforms for exposure and fame.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2017, 00:03:23 »
It does seem that way.  Just look at the # of main big screen actors who've jumped into Tv shows..  From Kevin Spacey, to Terrance howard...  Though most sites i try to look up the current flock, all are from 2013 or 'older' (as in farther away from now)..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2017, 00:20:34 »
Well for some it really is a boon to their personal lives.
Though the example I'm going to use probably isn't the best, it is a decent one: Jeff Dunham.
Yeah the ventriloquist for a while was trying to get a spot in a FOX sports panel show, because it was close to home.
He could spend more time with his kids and less time on the road.
However it didn't go his way, but still it shows why some actors don't mind a TV spot.
If they shoot most episodes in a city near your home, you don't even have to travel that far. Your pay is probably more steady, plus a couple of seasons will probably last longer than one film and a sequel.

Either way when I see a celeb on something like Geek and Sundry, or even something more "mainstream" like HULU and Netflix all I can do is shrug and say "They're just looking out for a paycheck, we'd all do something similar if situations were reversed."

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2017, 11:41:39 »
Either way when I see a celeb on something like Geek and Sundry, or even something more "mainstream" like HULU and Netflix all I can do is shrug and say "They're just looking out for a paycheck, we'd all do something similar if situations were reversed."
My first thought usually is, "So he's a fan of the show and wrangled a guest spot, huh? That's cool." I mean, there are lots of reasons to guest star on a TV show, it can let celebrities control their image and keep them relevant in between big blockbusters or after massive flops, but I always try to remember that they are still human beings with likes and dislikes and if I were a big name I'd be asking my agent about guest spots on the shows that I like.

I mean, do you think that Steven Colbert fought for a less than 5 second cameo in the Hobbit movies because he thought they'd be good and they paid him a ton of money, or because he's a massive Tolkien nerd? And look at all the scifi that Will Smith has done to date - he wouldn't ask for roles in them unless he was a serious fan of the genre. Hell, one interview he compared seeing Star Wars for the first time as better than having sex for the first time!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2017, 12:27:11 »
My first thought usually is, "So he's a fan of the show and wrangled a guest spot, huh? That's cool." I mean, there are lots of reasons to guest star on a TV show, it can let celebrities control their image and keep them relevant in between big blockbusters or after massive flops, but I always try to remember that they are still human beings with likes and dislikes and if I were a big name I'd be asking my agent about guest spots on the shows that I like.

I mean, do you think that Steven Colbert fought for a less than 5 second cameo in the Hobbit movies because he thought they'd be good and they paid him a ton of money, or because he's a massive Tolkien nerd? And look at all the scifi that Will Smith has done to date - he wouldn't ask for roles in them unless he was a serious fan of the genre. Hell, one interview he compared seeing Star Wars for the first time as better than having sex for the first time!

Don't forget folks like Daniel Craig as a stormtrooper in The Force Awakens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7bxkqWC2M

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3382960/Daniel-Craig-s-role-stormtrooper-Star-Wars-confirmed-revealed-four-line-dialogue-Force-Awakens-movie.html
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2017, 18:27:31 »

If you believe Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, straight to streaming is the future for all big budget movies.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2017, 21:28:02 »
Don't forget folks like Daniel Craig as a stormtrooper in The Force Awakens

Some actors have done bit parts in movies just because they love the franchise even if the part paid less than peanuts.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2017, 21:35:23 »
Holy **** I think I found the lowest grossing money ever!

Slater's project Playback costarring Mark Metcalf was the lowest grossing film of 2012, taking in just 264 dollars at the box office.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2017, 23:59:55 »
IMDb lists it a $252.

That's the kind of gross you get when your movie gets a single showing at a single theater.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 26 July 2017, 00:19:09 »
Maybe the 264 included a couple international tickets?? In any event seems like that movie bombed no matter how few showings it had.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #24 on: 31 July 2017, 11:15:52 »
Hell, one interview he compared seeing Star Wars for the first time as better than having sex for the first time!
I'm not discounting the nerd/fan angle either. Don't assume that.
I'm just saying that if the money is good, they'd do it.
If they love whatever the subject is and the pay wasn't good, they'd probably still do it.
Bpth are solid and logical motivators, but I'd probably assume the former as the first motivator just by reflex if I don't know the performer's personal life.

Vin Diesel is a D&D fan, even has his character's name tattooed on him. If they offered him a shot to star in a good D&D film I know he'd say hell yes.
Even so, if I didn't know this about him I'd still suspect they paid him well enough to keep him on camera.

You can love something and still be motivated by pay, plus you can forgo said big dollars if a project means something near and dear to you.

Even so, cameos and small inserts into films don't really equate to where I was going when you are the featured person in a show.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 11:21:20 by Atlas3060 »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #25 on: 31 July 2017, 15:57:14 »
I'm not discounting the nerd/fan angle either. Don't assume that.
I'm just saying that if the money is good, they'd do it.
If they love whatever the subject is and the pay wasn't good, they'd probably still do it.
Bpth are solid and logical motivators, but I'd probably assume the former as the first motivator just by reflex if I don't know the performer's personal life.

Vin Diesel is a D&D fan, even has his character's name tattooed on him. If they offered him a shot to star in a good D&D film I know he'd say hell yes.
Even so, if I didn't know this about him I'd still suspect they paid him well enough to keep him on camera.

You can love something and still be motivated by pay, plus you can forgo said big dollars if a project means something near and dear to you.

Even so, cameos and small inserts into films don't really equate to where I was going when you are the featured person in a show.

No that usually goes to the Indie scene, and lots of movies there a rife with Big Name actors in one can only assume low paying roles for I would have to assume little money because they believed in it.

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada