Author Topic: Lapsed Battletech Player returning to the fold.  (Read 1133 times)

Cptmachine

• Recruit
    • Captain Machine Channel
Lapsed Battletech Player returning to the fold.
« on: 24 July 2017, 08:52:39 »
Hi guys with the release of the new video game my interest has peaked in the game but the core rule books I saw a few years back all appear to be hard to get hold of (none of my FLGS sell them) and the lack of a boxset I can get my hand on. (I have the old one but would like another) this is compounded by two new books now I'm confused.

1. Will the box set ever come back?

2. Are the core rules still avaible to buy, I'm after Time of War and Tech Manual?

3. If the new rule books the start of a new set of core rules?

4. Are there any missing mechs from the new technical readouts because I don't want an incomplete product.

5. Basically what is the future of the product line?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Lapsed Battletech Player returning to the fold.
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2017, 09:05:10 »
Logically the core set should be coming back. There was talk about the box set getting renamed with new iteration and a smaller introductory set being introduced, along with potential for re-print of the previous box set. That was last... December, i think, and there has been no news since then (presumably due to "nothing to tell"). Perhaps we'll get news from GenCon.

Tech Manual you can get as PDF but finding a physical copy is apparently nigh impossible.

The new BattleMech Manual is not a new core rulebook per se. Rather it is a compilation of various 'Mech rules from Total Warfare and Tactical Operations and Interstellar Operations along with errata. There has been no indications it starts a new rulebook series.

Define "missing 'Mech". TRO SW covers stuff from Age of War to late Succession Wars, yet it does not have every single 'Mech for those eras. Don't think it is intended to be "definitive" TRO either way.

IlClan got delayed but there's no indications BattleTech is dead, just slow.

Cptmachine

• Recruit
    • Captain Machine Channel
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2017, 10:43:35 »
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on Gen Con for any news as your right that is the time we would normally hear something.

As field my missing mech comment. I had heard that some of the classic mechs were missing like the marauder and Warhammer. While I understand your have to use the update artwork to show them I can't understand if they would be missing. If so i@"" just pick up 3039 instead.

Also any news about the core rules being reprinted? I'd like a copy and of some of the books including the RPG.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2017, 11:02:07 »
No word about core rulebooks being reprinted.
I'd rank that as "unlikely for now". Again, if we hear anything, it will be at GenCon likely.

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2017, 11:17:33 »
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on Gen Con for any news as your right that is the time we would normally hear something.

As field my missing mech comment. I had heard that some of the classic mechs were missing like the marauder and Warhammer. While I understand your have to use the update artwork to show them I can't understand if they would be missing. If so i@"" just pick up 3039 instead.

Also any news about the core rules being reprinted? I'd like a copy and of some of the books including the RPG.

If you prefer those mechs in 3039 to the ones that are now included from other TROs then that is a good choice. But then TRO 3039 would be missing some 3039 designs.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2017, 17:38:45 »

Good news -bad news time:

Bad news: You-know-who has just thrown another hissy fit over the attempts to redo the Unseen, and so the Classics versions of the Stinger, Wasp, Phawk, Marauder, Valkyrie, Archer, Rifleman and Warhammer are tentatively Unseen :(

However, Good news: Unlike last time, they cannot touch anything that isn't already in their grubby claws, and so the Classics Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Griffin, Thunderbolt, BattleMaster, Locust, (possibly) the OST-mechs, the Scorpion and the Goliath are still fair game, very much SEEN-seen  ;D and (at least the first 6) are present and ready for duty in the new TRO :)
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 17:42:09 by Pat Payne »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2017, 06:30:58 »
Hi guys with the release of the new video game my interest has peaked in the game but the core rule books I saw a few years back all appear to be hard to get hold of (none of my FLGS sell them) and the lack of a boxset I can get my hand on. (I have the old one but would like another) this is compounded by two new books now I'm confused.

I hope and assume so, but I have no information regarding this.

2. Are the core rules still avaible to buy, I'm after Time of War and Tech Manual?

You can get them as PDFs from the Catalyst Store or DriveThruRPG. Each store may have hardcopies too, I haven't checked so I can't say for sure.

3. If the new rule books the start of a new set of core rules?

God I hope not. ;) Seriously the new BattleMech Manual is a product focusing on BattleMech combat. Only BattleMech combat. No tanks, infantry, battle armor, etc. Just pure stompy robot goodness. It also has some tips and tricks for faster play as well as clarification of rules that are often misinterpreted.

4. Are there any missing mechs from the new technical readouts because I don't want an incomplete product.

TRO:Succession Wars comes with these 'Mechs: Flea, Locust, Mercury, Thorn, Commando, Mongoose, Falcon, Firefly, Hermes, Hussar, Javelin, Spider, UrbanMech, Firebee, Firestarter, Jenner, Night Hawk, Ostscout, Panther, Raven, Spector, Talon, Wolfhound, Assassin, Cicada, Clint, Hermes II, Sentinel, Vulcan, Whitworth, Blackjack, Hatchetman, Kyudo, Vindicator, Centurion, Chameleon, Crab, Enforcer, Galahad, Hunchback, Phoenix, Talos, Trebuchet, Dervish, Gladiator, Griffin, Hoplite, Kintaro, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Dragon, Lancelot, Merlin, Quickdraw, Bombardier, Catapult, Exterminator, Jagermech, Thunderbolt, Battleaxe, Cataphract, Excalibur, Grasshopper, Guillotine, Shootist, Black Knight, Flashman, Hammerhands, Orion, Awesome, Charger, Hatamoto-Chi, Thug, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Crockett, Rampage, Shogun, Stalker, Cyclops, Emperor, Highlander, Ymir, Banshee, Nightstar, Atlas, Devastator, King Crab, Mackie, Pillager, Thunder Hawk.

Note that only the Flea, Galahad, and Banshee are new. The rest are reprints from other TROs.

5. Basically what is the future of the product line?

Great question. I'm waiting to find out.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2017, 07:56:20 »

The last time new box set(s) were mentioned was on Origin (a month ago). Found a video due discussion in another thread (https://youtu.be/h9UojL2Tmgs?t=28m55s)
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL