Author Topic: ISP3 and Total Chaos worthwhile?  (Read 2178 times)

Porkins

• Master Sergeant
ISP3 and Total Chaos worthwhile?
« on: 25 July 2017, 23:17:06 »
Hello all.

I was thinking of picking up one or both of these pdf's as they are currently on sale. I am looking at them for game ideas in my Amaris Civil War AU and was thinking they might have some.  My questions are:

1) Is ISP3 in the odd format of ISP1&2 with like journal excerpts, testimony, etc. rather than some sort of coherent set of facts like the non-Jihad books?  If so, is there at least a modest amount of facts provided or is it mostly "conjecture"?

2) Assuming that the Total Chaos tracks can be imported into a different setting with some minor tweaks, are the italicized tracks in the index new ones not in the other JHS books?  This one looks like it would be great for mission ideas - is it or are the details too tied to the Jhad setting? 

Thanks.

Praise the Sea, but keep on Land.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Re: ISP3 and Total Chaos worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2017, 06:55:11 »
I really can only speak to the first question, so here goes.

I think you'd find ISP3 useful. It's a series of reports submitted to Interstellar Expeditions HQ by IE employees. I'd say it's presented in the same style as the first ISP books, but the information isn't rumors, etc., but are in fact coherent reports.

There are also several Periphery realms that were founded by expatriates escaping the Amaris Civil War, so there's that.

DriveThruRPG has a preview so you can get an idea of what you'd be getting. (Plus it's 25% off at the moment.)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2017, 07:10:44 »
The missions in Total Chaos are driven by the underlying narrative of the Jihad and its chaos but it doesn't look too hard to file the serial numbers off of them and repurpose them if that's what you're interested in doing with them.  I haven't actually tried doing that, though.

For what you're trying to do, you may find Campaign Operations a better fit.  It's designed around the same system but is much more generic.  There's also some other material about different approaches in there.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2017, 07:16:49 »
As player who used Total Chaos and it's early version in Jihad Hot Spots books, I completely endorse it.

Total Chaos is akin to a scenario book with 3 different starting points (in form of merc units you can swap out for yourself) and choice tree chose your fate based on success or failure.  TC does have some bad threads that not completely fixed.  However despite that, I totally support using chaos campaign system (look for the errant version on the website) and Warchest system that it's partnered with it.

Like Moonsword said, Campaign Operations is ultimate destination for the rules themselves and other campaign options aside from using Chaos/Warchest system.  Total Chaos is good for when you don't have good ideas for campaign and want little more story to it.

IS3 is great adventure book, which you can marry chaos system to do scenariors for your mercenary unit or house unit.  Only thing is there going be limited support for units operating in the Periphery.  Not a lot factories pumping out spare parts for mechs.  If your doing as for a roleplaying setting its very good thing to have.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2017, 09:00:34 »
Total Chaos:
My index doesn't have italicized Tracks listed.
The Missions on pages 30-38 are intentionally generic, and can be easily adopted in any campaign.
Beyond that, I have the position that any Chaos Track can be remodeled to suit with a little creativity.

Picking 3 random tracks:
Golden Goose p61
0 changes needed, beyond maybe picking different RATs to roll from. Also, ECMs can be useful in this one, so you'll have to decide whether that's an issue. (victory condition goes from 5 turns to 3 turns with ECM)

Spark, p118
0 changes needed.

Bridge to Oblivion p176
0 changes needed.

Doesn't guarantee all Tracks require (near) 0 changes, but it's an indication at least.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2017, 09:34:15 »
ISP 3 is a GREAT sourcebook for advancing the setting, in that it describes a lot of cool places outside of the usual players.   Frankly it is one of my favorite gaming books ever.  Well written too, the reports work a bit better in this context and there's some better order because they're more like little vignettes about different locations.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2017, 09:39:50 »
a lot of the rumors in ISP3 are in boxes clearly marked RUMOR. The gamemaster notes at the end of sections also do an adequate job of separating fact from fiction/conjecture

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2017, 10:11:48 »
a lot of the rumors in ISP3 are in boxes clearly marked RUMOR. The gamemaster notes at the end of sections also do an adequate job of separating fact from fiction/conjecture

Just remember... 'rumor' and 'untrue' aren't necessarily the same thing.  >:D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2017, 14:22:31 »
Just remember... 'rumor' and 'untrue' aren't necessarily the same thing.  >:D

Schrodinger's sourcebook

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2017, 14:40:13 »
Schrodinger's sourcebook

"The Nova Cat is neither alive nor dead, but either way has been Abjured."
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Porkins

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2017, 20:01:21 »
Thanks for the responses everyone.  The responses have really helped.

And yes I actually do already have Campaign Operations but it's great that everyone was thoughtful and advised me of it. 

Praise the Sea, but keep on Land.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2017, 23:14:10 »
I have abused my copy of Total Chaos to the point that I might have to buy a fresh copy. Just visit the errata thread, as there is some material that requires either hands-on corrections or just 'Judgment Calls' and since it's unlike the product itself will be reprinted with corrections, you will still need to think about things. But as is, it's a WONDERFUL product.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2017, 23:42:26 »
or buy the PDF and print as needed ;) Can't ruin a PDF now can you :P

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2017, 03:48:12 »
1) Is ISP3 in the odd format of ISP1&2 with like journal excerpts, testimony, etc. rather than some sort of coherent set of facts like the non-Jihad books?  If so, is there at least a modest amount of facts provided or is it mostly "conjecture"?

Mainly reports from Interstellar Expeditions teams back to their HQ about stuff they have seen/encountered in the field.

Its basically just a briefing on the Deep Periphery, very little rumor and conjecture. Though, there is some conjecture... but its mainly in the "We, Interstellar Expeditions, don't actually know how [Event] happened, so here is [theory #1], [theory #2] and [Theory #3]" mold, IIRC.

Register