Author Topic: The MRBC and the St. Ives Compact  (Read 2076 times)

Frabby

• Major
The MRBC and the St. Ives Compact
« on: 01 August 2017, 13:40:18 »
When the Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission was set up in 3052 to replace ComStar's MRB, following the overall loss of trust in ComStar because of Operation Scorpion, the St. Ives Compact was one of the signatory parties to the MRBC accords (curiously signed only in 3054).

Has it ever been spelled out what happened to the St. Ives seat on the board when the Compact was reabsorbed into the Capellan Confederation?
Did they just cease to exist and lost their seat?
Did the CapCon get an extra seat?
Did a third power get the vacant seat?

Come to think of it, do the Ghost Bears have a representative sitting on the MRBC board following the merger of the Free Rasalhague Republic (signatory party) with the Ghost Bear Dominion?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: The MRBC and the St. Ives Compact
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2017, 08:05:00 »
My best bet is that the SIC seat was simply removed, as they no longer existed. I can't imagine who would have been offered it otherwise, given Jamie Wolf's obvious hatred of the Word.

While not explicitly stated, I can't imagine that the Rasalhauge Dominion has a seat on the MRBC. Given the Clan ban on hiring mercs (And the Bears' own intense hatred of them) I can't see any situation in which they would be interested in the MRBC. And besides, I've never heard of the RasDom hiring mercs either.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2017, 02:26:16 »
From a legal standpoint, there must be some successor to the contractual rights and obligations of the StIC. They didn't just vanish. I also have a hard time believing the CapCon wouldn't try to get some leverage or extra influence over the MRBC out of it.

But I take it there is no published canonical information pertaining to the issue?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2017, 19:50:39 »
As far as I know, there is none.

I assume that when the SIC formally surrendered and was re integrated into the Cap Con, the remaining merchandise contracts were either cancelled or transferred.

I can imagine that he Capps tried to claim the SIC for their own , but given Wolf's generally belegant attitude towards them, that would not have gone over well
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2017, 22:15:01 »
I would say it follows the sort of contract law for a company that goes bankrupt.  Assets the MRBC has control of that were the SIC's are liquidated to pay out the final contractual obligations.

I think the other interesting side of that . . . were all the merc units under contract to the SIC at the time counted as having failed in their contracts?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2017, 14:07:56 »
There's a small sidebar in FM:CapCon that talks briefly about St Ives mercs. IIRC Rubinsky's was contracted directly to Candace Liao so that remained in place.

Given that the CapCon was of the attitude that St Ives was never a truly independent realm, they likely wouldn't maintain anything resembling separate representation at the international level.

Register