Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: DAD-** Daedalus  (Read 4382 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: DAD-** Daedalus
« on: 04 November 2011, 03:30:11 »
’Mech of the Week: DAD-** Daedalus

The 45-ton Daedalus is a formidable machine built for the Solaris arenas by Innovative Design Concepts. Named for the Greek mythological designer of the Labyrinth, the Daedalus can navigate the mazes of the arenas, as well as “fly” like its namesake. (And farther than the slightly lighter Icarus, named for the son who crashed and burned.)

It is also the only one of the Original Twelve Solaris Box Set BattleMechs not to have a mini yet. (Seriously, I need about four for the number of paint jobs I have in mind.)

IDC chose to base this design on the extremely popular PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk, and it compares well to some of that machine’s variants. The original DAD-3C variant uses an endo-steel skeleton and an extralight engine unlike its inspiration, but retains the jump jets. Eight tons of standard armor apportioned in a reasonably smart way. While the head can barely take a large laser hit without breaching, and the center and side rear torsos can take a large or a medium pulse respectively, the arms and legs can take a PPC shot, the side torso front a Gauss slug, and the center can withstand a Class-20 hit.

For offense, the right arm mounts a large pulse laser, a machine gun rests in the left arm, fed by a half ton of ammo, a 6-pack SRM in the left torso, with one ton of ammunition, twin 4-pack SRMs, one in each side torso, fed by one ton of ammo, and a small laser mounted in the right torso. All of the ammunition is in the CASEd left torso. Ten double heat sinks deals with some of the heat, but a couple successive alpha strikes while jumping brings the potential of shut down. (Aesthetically, I think the original model looks like Bobba Fett.)

According to my notes, Drago Alldredge piloted the original “noted” model from the Box Set. Called “Grimjet,” it appears to be an apocraphal variant, as Drago is said to have modified it by removing the missile racks, and installing lasers in their place. Said notes seem to indicate these lasers to be a medium pulse and two small pulses. The rest of the weight went to armor (to the arms and legs) and four heat sinks. “Grimjet” appears to have suffered its first loss in spectacular fashion against a modified Wolverine (though why the note in TRO: 3055 Upgrade calls that ’Mech an assault, I do not know).

I’m not sure I would have mentioned that variant, save that it appears to be the inspiration for the DAD-3D variant that is the featured variant in TRO: 3055 Upgrade. This variant retains the endo-steel skeleton, engine, and jump jets (though those are slightly redeployed) of the original. Armor has been increased to maximum, allowing the legs to take a blow from a Class-20 autocannon, and the arms can take two Clan mediums. One point of armor was repositioned from the center torso rear to the front. The large pulse was upgraded to an x-pulse version. The CASE, machine gun and missiles were removed for four extended-range mediums, two in the left arm, two centerline, and two extended-range smalls placed in the head. Room was made with the use of a small cockpit. All the weapons were tied into an advanced targeting computer, and triple-strength myomer was installed to better use the excess heat. You will need to choose carefully when firing, as a full-out jumping alpha will put you two-thirds of the way to auto shut down, even with the two additional heat sinks.

And then the designers decided there wasn’t enough experimental equipment. The DAD-4A loses one and a half tons of armor, dropping the legs to only being able to take a Gauss slug. One medium laser was moved to the right arm, and the head smalls were retained. All of the other lasers were removed, to allow for the installation of two 4-pack and one 6-pack Streak launcher, each with its own ton of ammunition. CASE was not installed. Finally, a supercharger was placed in the center torso, allowing for even higher bursts of speed. I must admit that I am unsure if active triple-strength myomer and the supercharger stack for top speed calculation, but then I’m not sure I like the bad luck possibility of turning the engine into scrap either.

The final variant is the DAD-4B, seemingly a compromise between the DAD-3D and DAD-4A. From the -3D, it removes one point of armor from the center torso front, as well as the triple-strength myomer. Three of the medium lasers were removed, and the fourth replaced the large x-pulse in the arm. A medium pulse was installed in each side torso, along with a 6-pack Streak launcher in the left. One ton of ammunition feeds the launcher from the unCASEd left torso. All of the lasers are tied to a targeting computer, placed in the right torso. A supercharger was installed in the center torso to allow for higher bursts of speed. The last ton of space is filled by an additional heat sink.

To use a Daedalus, you will probably want to start by emulating some of the closer-range variants of the Phoenix Hawk, like the PXH-3PL and -7S models. At least in my case, that is, jump from place to place, doing damage where you can, and making it as hard as possible for your opponent to hit you. Note that aside from the one weapon on the DAD-3D, your weapons are meant to be fired close-up. The -3D is also capable of delivering more powerful kicks than your weight would normally allow. While the -4A also has triple-strength, a jumping alpha only raises your heat by one each time you do so. And while on the subject of the -4A or -4B, use the supercharger only when absolutely necessary. Like when you have to run away from a group of Berserkers.

Fighting one depends on the toolbox you have. If you have similar jumpers, try and use any range advantage you can. The majority of designs that move faster or jump farther than a Daedalus are lighter machines, so use those on a case-by-case basis. A Spider may not be a good idea, but a Mercury II might work. As with most of my recent articles, Gauss rifles are always good. And if you do have a targeting computer with a skilled enough pilot, target the left torso. Three out of the four official variants have ammunition there, and all of them have that bane of Inner Sphere machines, the extralight engine.

And while I’m thinking about it, if you have plasma rifles, liberal use can be very effective against the -3C and -3D. The other two models have much better heat scales. As for the Supercharger designs, if you can force him to use it, you could put him out rather quickly. It has been my experience that my type of luck is the norm for most gamers. It is either ice cold or white hot. Though mine sometimes has the bad form to switch between my firing phase and my opponent’s.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
Re: ’Mech of the Week: DAD-** Daedalus
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2011, 04:16:12 »
Don't like the missile spammers, but i absolutely love the 3D. Its a Super-Pixie.
As long as you aren't fighting the Clans, X-Pulse + TC is one hell of a combination, especially when coupled with such mobility.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Re: ’Mech of the Week: DAD-** Daedalus
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2020, 06:46:34 »
I ran the 3C last night because I have a love of SRMs. I spent half a dozen turns evading due tp losing the initiative and watching missiles fly wide of the mark. Just when I thought I had better keep an eye on reloads I managef to hit with all three launchers and score good damage. After that the game turned and I pulled out the win.

Register