Author Topic: Mech of the Week: PNT-** Panther  (Read 30027 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Mech of the Week: PNT-** Panther
« Reply #60 on: 13 August 2017, 18:20:00 »
There are some unusual designations in BTU. Take the Marauder and Marauder II, both of which use MAD though neither shares second part of the designation. And there are few 'Mechs that are identical but have two designations (eg Victor 9D/K) due to production place/nation. And finally, there are some with messed up designations due to IRL causes, for example Griffin 2N2 (PPC) predating 2N (ERPPC) (in this case, the non-ERPPC version was added afterwards).
But i don't think there are any canonical cases of two different variants sharing one designation.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 13 August 2017, 18:40:04 »
Which is somewhat weird, because the writeups mention "Star League pilots discovered early on that the Panther was well-suited for the dirty tactics required in city fighting The 'Mech can move easily through the more restricted spaces of the city while its PPC gives it the chance of disabling all but...."

So unless you take "Star League pilots" to mean "Kurita Star League-era pilots" then the Star League pilots were using the PPC version...

I used to think that the Panther was a Star League design, and it became a Kurita design simply because they inherited the factories, now it seems like the DC liked the design alot even before they took the factories.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 14 August 2017, 00:22:41 »
FM SLDF gives the PNT-8Z a line in Regular Division RATs, and mentions it in use by recon and skitmish units and by one unit as an infantry support Mech. The 8Z's shortcomings were highlighted in the Hidden Wars prior to the Amaris conflict, especially in 1 action on the LA-DC border. The PNT-9R quickly supplanted the 8Z thereafter, and the Panther is mentioned in Field Report 2765 DC as a common Mech with both models getting 1 RAT line each. So it is likely to have seen significant use in SLDF and DCMS units' hands during the Star League civil war.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #63 on: 14 August 2017, 00:40:08 »
The master unit list gives the 8Z panther to the Lyrans, Capellans, Taurians, Hegemony, and Rim Worlds in addition to the Star League and Combine during the Star League era. It got around.

The 9R is Combine exclusive until the succession wars.

Another hypothetical way to possibly merge our disparate accounts of Star League panthers might be that the PPC armed Star League panther suffered from delays like scope creep, engineering problems, or bureaucratic  snafus that kept it from reaching production before the periphery uprising and Amaris Coup changed priorities.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #64 on: 14 August 2017, 01:17:47 »
... makes me wounder if we should have gotten a Panther IIC vs the Great Wyrm :P
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 14 August 2017, 06:52:34 »
Is anyone else surprised we never had a Heavy PPC Panther? Especially with the WoB refits, that seems like something that would have been experimented with at some point some time. It probably wouldn't have been great though.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 14 August 2017, 08:11:50 »
Is anyone else surprised we never had a Heavy PPC Panther? Especially with the WoB refits, that seems like something that would have been experimented with at some point some time. It probably wouldn't have been great though.
Its called the Wight :/

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 14 August 2017, 09:31:08 »

Pretty much.  It's got the same position on the Panther lineage as the Dragon II does on the Dragon family tree.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #68 on: 14 August 2017, 10:33:33 »
I know that, but still a Panther in name and with the more common 4/6 speed.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #69 on: 14 August 2017, 10:38:10 »
I know that, but still a Panther in name and with the more common 4/6 speed.
I think the Wight was correcting a wrong.  The improving speed.  It is still related to the machine.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #70 on: 14 August 2017, 14:29:08 »
The thing I don't get on the Wight is that, while the torso very much looks like a Panther torso, its head no longer does, and its limbs have just gotten utterly weird.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #71 on: 14 August 2017, 15:02:56 »
I think the Wight stuff is all fluff to be honest. It could completely be redesigned with different components and we'd never know.
Anyways, it was a joint-project with the Lyrans, so why taint a storied BattleMech design like Panther by having one made by Frienemies the Lyrans?
« Last Edit: 23 October 2017, 14:02:52 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 14 August 2017, 15:12:09 »
The thing I don't get on the Wight is that, while the torso very much looks like a Panther torso, its head no longer does, and its limbs have just gotten utterly weird.

Yeah, well, there are many 'Mechs in BT that are supposedly based on others yet lack any kind of connection visually. Guess chassis are flexible...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #73 on: 14 August 2017, 23:12:00 »
The torso defiantly has some resemblance to the Panther, the limbs and head is partly why it's called the Wight and not the Panther II.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Valtech

• Private
« Reply #74 on: 19 August 2017, 23:21:32 »
Someone else beat me to the Russian T-34 tank analogy and I think its a good one for the PNT-9R Panther in DCMS service.
You have enough inventory to use these things by the lance...quantity makes up for the slower speed and any armament
issues. You can accept attrition with these units because you have MORE of these units available... 

I liked the look of the Plastech Panthers (cheep enough to buy two boxes !) and used them in Lance strength units whenever
possible. Its the way of the Dragon...8)
« Last Edit: 19 August 2017, 23:26:55 by Valtech »

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #75 on: 23 August 2017, 23:14:28 »
I have always loved the PNT-9R just a good little backup for something heavier that goes 4/6/x.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 23 October 2017, 02:09:24 »
That lineage chart is superb addition.

I'll second that!
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #77 on: 03 November 2017, 01:43:04 »
Just building an Order Lance of Panthers for a Civil-War era Legion of Vega unit, and I came across the MWO PNT-10P version.

Short form, built on a PNT-10K chassis, it trades the PPC & SRM-4 for two AC-2s and an SRM-2. 10 DHS, and a 175-rated engine. With 5/8/5 move, three tons of ammo (two for the ACs), it's ... pretty aenemic. I can build it under TM rules, but with only one ton of AC ammo.

But it'll be a fun conversion. If the LAG version ever gets stats, though, pick it ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 03 November 2017, 02:22:54 »
Wow, that does sound pretty anemic.

Just played the PNT-14S for the first time this week, and OMG did I love it.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 03 November 2017, 02:58:17 »
Just played the PNT-14S for the first time this week, and OMG did I love it.
How was it like?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 03 November 2017, 03:09:59 »
How was it like?

Jumpy. Seriously jumpy.  Single heat sinks hurt it not at all, and a decent enough pilot offsets the small cockpit.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 03 November 2017, 03:12:43 »
Jumpy. Seriously jumpy.  Single heat sinks hurt it not at all, and a decent enough pilot offsets the small cockpit.
A mere 10-point sting (discounting the rockets), even if it is a Snubby, doesn't charm me much. Its like IJJ-variants were deliberately nerfed... oh wait  ::)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 03 November 2017, 03:20:59 »
A mere 10-point sting (discounting the rockets), even if it is a Snubby, doesn't charm me much. Its like IJJ-variants were deliberately nerfed... oh wait  ::)

It's the 10-hex short range that makes the weapon.  Between that and a six-hex jump, it makes for a really fun 'Mech.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 03 November 2017, 03:38:53 »
It's the 10-hex short range that makes the weapon.  Between that and a six-hex jump, it makes for a really fun 'Mech.
would it really have been too much to ask for double heat sinks and a couple of Medium X-pulse lasers...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 03 November 2017, 13:47:35 »
would it really have been too much to ask for double heat sinks and a couple of Medium X-pulse lasers...

Probably. The 14S (Why that designation?) seems to be a refit of 10Ks rather than something that's built from scratch, even if its kind of pushing the boundaries (no clue what swapping jump jets and cockpit would be in terms of refit levels). And I also suspect that it would be too effective if it was reduced to 10 DHS.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #85 on: 11 November 2017, 21:56:03 »
Honestly its a bit small for one.
Better an option for the Grand Dragon.
Now that said, since its known as a city fighter, I feel like a Plasma Rifle version would have been great for handling pesky conventional units.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #86 on: 12 November 2017, 13:36:48 »
The 13K has a plasma rifle.  Only 1 ton of ammo though.  Easy fix if you take off one of the IJJs for additional ammo.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 23 April 2020, 11:03:40 »
OP had a cool Panther lineage chart that I wanted to take a look at, and now I don't quite see it.  Does anyone know where it went?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 23 April 2020, 11:27:27 »
Unless Kidd will rehost and repost the chart, it's gone. Suggest PMing Kidd about the chart.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 23 April 2020, 14:20:56 »
Unless Kidd will rehost and repost the chart, it's gone. Suggest PMing Kidd about the chart.

Thanks for the suggestion, I should have thought of that.  Done.

Register