Author Topic: Ravens without a keeper - AU with Thanks Story  (Read 2657 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Ravens without a keeper - AU with Thanks Story
« on: 06 August 2017, 06:27:45 »
This is a spin off from my AU it'll specifically follow the crew of the Sceptre a Snow Raven Cruiser which has gone rogue.

Cargo Bay, Sceptre
Uninhabited System, Raven Alliance
Periphery
3rd April 3110

With most of the crew present Star Captain Gerry Harper stood in front of the remaining crew of the Sceptre.  The vessel had taken minor damage in the New Samarkand system but it was damage they couldn’t replace, as would every loss from now on.  “The Raven Khan has declared us rogue for our actions in the New Samarkand system.”

“Your actions in the system” Pilot warrior Richard stated angrily.

“Yes, my actions and the actions of this crew, we failed to prepare Sceptre for battle, you all followed my orders and failed to challenge my leadership.” He said bluntly he knew his failings he had seen the damage wrought by Sceptre’s weapons on the surface of New Samarkand.

“You surrender to the Ravens we could be accepted back into the Clan” another suggested.

“Neg, the Raven Khan has cast us out, the Raven Khan!”  Security Chief Elemental Quinn Shu said looking around the room.  She was seated in a corner looking at the floor she was in her thirties like Harper and heading towards the end of her career but she knew Raven rules as well as anyone.  “They will fire first and ask questions a far second.”

“So what are we supposed to do?”  Weapons officer Paige Cooper asked her bloodname now only a mark on an ended career and life something they were all now feeling.

“Miraposa” Harper said looking around the room seeing the sense of loss among them turn into anger.

“That’s a Dark Caste hole!” One shouted angrily

“They are nothing better than pirates!”

“Neither are we” another countered.

“Hear out the Captain” another voice said.

“Quieten the hell down!”  Quinn Shu shouted gaining their attention as she rose to her feet standing beside Harper because of his Elemental blood he stood just as tall and as broad shouldered as her.  “Choose your words carefully” she said glancing at him.

“The people of Miraposa are former Clansmen” Harper explained “we are unfortunately former Clansmen.  We will invite people to trial for positions on this crew” he saw their disappointed faces “we will only take those who are capable of contributing.  We will trial or trade for the supplies and food we need to keep this ship and this crew operational.”  He said they didn’t look entirely convinced but none of them argued.  “Now get back to work!”  He said taking command.  As the crew Harper was aware of Shu had remained close to him.

“I would keep a weapon near your person at all times, one that can penetrate Elemental armour.”

“You do not think you can control your people quineg?”

“Who said anything about my people?”  She said smirking looking at her Captain “we are old warriors Captain Harper.  This was my last mission as an Elemental commander on board a WarShip I would have been reduced to a JumpShip or a Solahma unit.  Now perhaps I can die as a Warrior on board a WarShip that could regain its pride and honour see us right, Captain, or watch your back.”  She said walking off leaving him in the cargo bay he would keep his crew together and ensure they all wanted to serve on the ship he would make this work and the Raven Khan could be damned.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Ravens without a keeper - AU with Thanks Story
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2017, 06:35:36 »
This is interesting! These are the adventures of the WarShip, Sceptre!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2017, 09:31:14 »
Love how this is beginning.  Lots of thumbs up.  ;D

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2017, 23:08:30 »
Excellent stuff and off to a great start! :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2017, 09:16:09 »
Market Place, Junction C Settlement
Mariposa, Independent World
Periphery
15th April 3110

A show of force flown by the aerospace fighter pilots of the Sceptre was all it had taken to get Star Captain Gerry Harper a place in the centre of Junction C the largest settlement on Mariposa.  Now he was surrounded by several hundred civilians “I am Star Captain Gerry Harper” he said identifying himself to the crowd surrounding his position was an entire star of Elemental warriors in full Battle Armour each with the Snow Raven insignia crossed out on their suits.  “I am the commander of the Strike Cruiser Sceptre we have broken from Clan Snow Raven and I invite you to join us.  I have positions for naval trained crewmen, aerospace pilots, Elementals and technicians.  This is a WarShip I will not be taking passengers everyone must pull their weight and prove they can join my crew.”  He said seeing many who looked interested and many others who looked angry.

“What happened to the Scopuli?”  One called out naming an Invader-class JumpShip which had been coming to the system.

“The Scopuli was intercepted by my aerospace fighters.  We are transferring food, fuel and supplies from the vessel.”

“WE NEED THAT FOOD HERE!”  Another shouted angrily raising his arm in anger this time the Elementals surrounding Harper raised their arm mounted weapons, they were moments from a bloodbath, Haper could see the trouble building.

“There will be more food; more supplies for you my WarShip needed those supplies now.”  Harper said firmly “listen to me carefully we do not wish to bring further harm to you but we will defend ourselves if necessary.”

“You’re acting like a Clansmen Harper too honourable for your own good.  That won’t last.”  A man said he stood off to the side at least forty years old he wore a leather jacket over a red shirt with dark jeans and very clearly wore two sidearms.  He seemed to take pleasure in using contractions to irritate the Clansmen.  “You didn’t land in a DropShip which indicates to me you don’t have BattleMechs you won’t get far without BattleMechs.”

“I could level this settlement and every other on this planet without BattleMechs” Harper pointed out at the man.

“Aye, you could do just that but then you wouldn’t get the supplies or the people you want.  BattleMechs could get those for you.”  He said the crowd seemed to be looking back and fourth between the two men.

“I can only use what I have got” Harper said

“You could have so much more” he said “without harming these people.  In fact you could help them.”  He said making his way through the crowd.  One of the Elementals glanced in Harper’s direction and and stepped aside allowing him to approach “I am Stefan Banacek I will attach my DropShip and my unit to your vessel if you will take us away from the Ravens.”  He said in front of the crowd before stepping forwards and continuing in a low voice “in exchange you will provide this settlement with two small craft which they can use to transfer food and supplies between settlements lessening the impact of your raid.”

“What do you owe these people?”

“They took us in when the Serpents fell we have fought with them and they have fought with us.”

“So why abandon them?”  Harper asked keeping his voice low.

“You offer a chance to move on and perhaps allow us to link up with other elements that moved through the atmosphere.  Also we’ve raided the Alliance recently and the Ravens do not give up on their debts.”

“The Ravens are after us as well” Harper pointed out thinking about what Banacek had said about other units out there that could also join them.  “I accept your offer Stefan Banacek” he said in a louder voice and I will not leave the people of this world high and dry.  I will leave two small craft which you can use to move supplies and people to make Mariposa a more effective colony world.”  He said several hours later Banacek’s Overlord C-class DropShip rose to orbit to join the Sceptre.

-------------------------------

As the Sceptre began to turn away from the planet of Mariposa there were several jump signatures registered as the Karl Devalis, an Anna Rosse-class Battle-cruiser and several JumpShips arrived in the star system.

“They didn’t take long” Harper noted looking at the screens the Anna Rosse-class vessel was bigger and carried a heavier armament than the Sceptre it also carried more secondary craft and DropShips with those carried by the JumpShips also factored in they were heavily outgunned.  “Have the Konstantin remain close to us and turn us deeper into the system.”

“Query from Konstantin we are heading into the system?”  Tech Lewis asked as the WarShip began to turn.

“Confirm it we will jump by a pirate point, if Konstantin maintains our pace we will collect them at the pirate point.”  He said watching as the Overlord maintained its acceleration moving with the WarShip the additional crew on the vessel, and from the ground forces, would be a drain on resources but they’d also hopefully provide his vessel with far more options with dealing with threats.  “Helm, the Ravens are days away we need to maintain course for that point we have to hope the Ravens are unable to complete an inter-system jump.”

“The Anna Rosse design is more than fifty years old she was not built with a Mark II LF Battery.”  Amanda Lankenau commented from the helm position of all the bridge officers she would probably be his biggest threat in the future experienced she was also very capable having also won her bloodname so far she had not said much about their current path but time would reveal all.

“Aff, we should be able to jump clear but the Ravens will not give up easily.”  He said nearly sixteen hours later the Sceptre took back on board the Konstantin and jumped clear from the star system.  They did not see the Ravens arrival at Mariposa where they brutally put down the Dark Caste there as they added the world to the Raven Alliance, days later the nearby independent world of Argo was also added to the Raven’s domain.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2017, 23:38:14 »
Interesting
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2017, 13:36:40 »
I keep thinking were going get into a battle where the old Star Trek II battle music going be played while their fighting in a nebula like cloud in a solar system.  8)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2017, 14:15:22 »
I'm thinking the music from the OST episode 'Amok Time'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCamCYip2t4
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2017, 19:38:06 »

Nadir Point, WarShip Sceptre
Actium, Independent World
Periphery
12th May 3110

Missiles, lasers and autocannon fire filed the space around the Sceptre as it emerged at the Nadir point of the Actium system they had expected an empty star system perhaps somewhere they could gain more food but not fight a battle.  “Detach the Konstantin, Lewis, have them head directly away from the fighting we will cover!”  Star Captain Gerry Harper commanded as the Sceptre was rocked by enemy fire “helm as soon as they are clear I want military thrust available immediately” he commanded Amanda Lankeneau as he looked at the sensors the Sceptre had jumped into the unclaimed system of Actium and found a Nova Cat supply convoy waiting at the jump point.  The five JumpShips were already fast charging their jump drives to escape while the two Carrack-class Military Tansport ships were turning to attack the far larger Sceptre her respected their dedication and bravery but the former-Raven Strike Cruiser was a more capable vessel than the two transport WarShips.  “Weapons target and destroy Chatham but disable Small Chance we need intelligence and hopefully some supplies.”  He ordered the Sceptre moved between the two Nova Cat WarShips and fired a pair of broadsides the salvo directed on Chatham did not hold back instead it ravaged the small transport vessel penetrating the armour from multiple actions shredding the vessel.  By comparison the assault on the Small Chance burned through the aft sections of the vessel destroying the engineering sections.

“The last JumpShip has cleared the system” Kimi reported from the sensor station “Catham is dead in space.  Small Chance is showing heavy damage to its engineering section.”

“Amanda bring us into their aft arc and have our Elementals prepare for boarding action.”

“Konstantin, reports they are ready to earn their keep” Lewis reported from the other side of the bridge as Nova Cat and Sceptre aerospace fighters continued to duel between the two WarShips.

“There are still active weapons arrays on that ship” Harper noted but even as he spoke the Konstantin was in motion rolling over the Carrack opening its main cargo bay door as it went deploying BattleMechs and Battle Armour units directly onto the hull.  The Konstantin took several laser and missile hits but none of the Small Chance’s capital guns struck the Overlord C as it dived away past the rear of the WarShip.

On the hull of the Carrack the Star of BattleMechs went to work quickly targeting the active weapons arrays near them before Battle Armour troops breached the hull from two entry points.  “Pass to Stefan Banacek that we need survivors to interrogate.” Harper said glancing at Lewis as he watched the displays of the efficient boarding action Banacek’s personnel showing they were an asset to the Sceptre; a dangerous one.

----------------

Nearly three hours later the thirty-two Nova Cat survivors from the two WarShips and their aerospace fighters had been interrogated by the Sceptre’s crew.  It was very clear that the Raven Khan had cast them completely out of Clan society and that even being captured by another Clan would not repair the damage.  The Nova Cats also had more than thirty active WarShips operating inside their territory not to mention space habitats and individual aerospace fighter units.

“We cannot traverse the Nova Cat’s Den” Gerry Harper said looking over the data, he looked between Stefan Banacek and Quinn Shu neither seemed to disagree.  “Our only other options are we try to move through the periphery avoiding Clan Nova Cat’s claimed space and hope to find the supplies that will keep us operating.  Or we attempt to pass through the Federated Suns periphery region using uninhabited systems to avoid their navy.”

“We cannot live in hope in the periphery this crew would turn against itself.”  Shu noted

“We cannot hope to avoid the Federated Suns military for long it is extensive” Banakek noted “even using the battery we’ll encounter them eventually.”

“Clansmen don’t run from a fight” Harper noted looking at the former Adder bloodnamed warrior he wondered how much of Banacek’s fight had been taken with the fall of the Adders and the Serpents.

“Aff, but we are technically no longer Clansmen.  We cannot look at ourselves as such nor can we expect our enemies to treat us that way.  We are dark caste little more.”  He said glancing between the two Ravens “now my people can assist in gaining us supplies the Federated Suns periphery region but we need to pick our targets properly and we need to act like the pirates that they will see us as.”

“We still don’t have a final target.  This crew deserve to know where they are going.” Shu noted Harper glanced at her for her use of contractions wondering how quickly this crew would succumb to the dark caste’s ways.

“We need to supply the Sceptre with parts; fuel and food for this crew even with what we have taken here it will only go so far.  For now we allow the need to supply drive this crew.”

“That will only go so far” Banacek said producing a small memory drive from within his jacket “this is a list of the former Clan units I know are operational.”  He said seeing Harper’s surprise at this new revelation and wondering where the information had come from.  Banacek it seemed had already picked up on Harper’s curiosity “there are back doors into the Sea Fox Chatterweb you just need to know how to access them.  The dark caste in the homeworlds used them for years it didn’t take long for that to pass to the OZs the same practices continue under the Clan’s noses everyday.  Even as the Watch gets more effective so do we.”  He explained handing over the drive to Harper “perhaps we can find a group this crew will be comfortable with joining.”

“Why didn’t you DropShip attempt to make such an alliance?”  Shu asked looking from the drive back towards Banacek.   

“Because I didn’t have a seven hundred thousand ton WarShip at my back” Banacek admitted “you do not place your trust in anyone but those on your own crew.”

“Then why trust us?”  Harper asked

“Sometimes you have to take a chance at making a better future.”

“Aff” Harper agreed “then we are going to take a chance and pass through the Federated Suns we will rely on our guns and our skill to see us through to one of these groups and forge an alliance that will see us prosper.”  He said raising the drive up a little they were placing their future in the data it contained and trusting that they had enough firepower to overwhelm anyone who disagreed with them.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2017, 00:21:54 »
Minette New Service, HPG Broadcast
Minette PDZ, Crucis March
Federated Suns
4th July 3110

“In conclusion is there an unidentified WarShip moving through the Crucis March?  We do not know.  So far all we can confirm that JumpShips have seen shadows and radiation surges in places there should be nothing.  Neither MIIO or the Federated Suns Naval Command are willing to comment on rumours nor are they willing to confirm deployments of naval craft in the territories of the Federated Suns however everyone is advised to be wary and report anyting that they believe to be suspicious to the relevant authorities.”  The broadcaster said as the transmission ended Stefan Banacek glanced over at Star Captain Gerry Harper.

“See what I said to you this ship has not even engaged an AFFS unit and already there are rumours.”

“How are we supposed to avoid being cornered by them if already they talk about us?”  Harper wondered beginning to wonder if attempting to run through the periphery instead of the Federated Suns.

“This ship is like a technitians multi-tool” Banacek suggested but Harper didn’t seem to grasp the idea “you need to stop thinking like a Star Captain of Clan Snow Raven.  You need to think like a pirate” he said seeing Harper’s disgust “your ship is a jump capable tool which is able to travel through multiple systems with a full battery charge you don’t need to travel close to stars.”

“We still will need to engage JumpShips, DropShips or land on planets to gather resources to keep this WarShip operational.”

“Aff, but the Sceptre does not need to approach a system we could send land teams…”

“And again we need to rely on your forces?”  He asked irritated at the man over the last week twice Banacek had suggested his unit be used in action while the Sceptre remained out of contact with their enemies.

“Neg, given the AFFS interest in our whereabouts the appearance of an Overlord C-class DropShip on any planet will gain attention.”  He suggested to which Harper nodded “instead I suggest we jump into the outer reaches of a system and deploy small teams on small craft.  They head into a star system and land on a planet there they make small trades and act like traders while we remain silent in the outer reaches of the system.”  He said “that way we can gather intelligence without the AFFS knowing of our position or plans.”

“That can only go so far, we will have to engage them.”

“Aff, but at our time and our choosing.”

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2017, 01:51:39 »
Supply Raid
Dothan, Point Barrow Combat Theatre
Crucis March, Federated Suns
2nd September 3110

After two months of cloak and dagger operations sending small teams to gather intelligence on systems of the Federated Suns periphery the Sceptre had reached the point where it needed to raid a planetary system of the Federated Suns.  With the intelligence they had already gathered the system of Dothan had been picked by Star Captain Gerry Harper, Quinn Shu and Stefan Banacek as a likely target where they could gather the food and supplies required to keep the Sceptre and its crew operational.  Stefan Banacek’s Blood Asp OmniMech stood watching as Elementals from his unit loaded cargo trailers with crates of food and barrels of water.  Two days before he had landed on the planet and defeated the planetary militia now his unit was in control of the spaceport and the local population.  So far resistance had been minimal.

“Control to Sierra One!”  Came an almost panicked reply he knew that it could not go so easily for long.

“Go ahead” he replied calmly long ago learning that losing ones temper was not the best way to deal with a combat situation.

“Sceptre has sent a burst transmission their long range sensors detected a Federated Suns Davion III-class Destroyer at the Nadir Point and DropShips making a run for the planet.”  Control explained neither was of great concern the Davion III was no threat to the Sceptre, which was currently hidden in deep space, and the DropShips would take several days to get to the planet.

“Why the urgency?”

“Additional ground forces have been detected approaching from the south, at least a combined-arms Battalion.”

“You could have started with that!”  Banacek snapped “command trinary move out we will fight a rearguard action to buy time to load the supplies we need into the DropShips.”  As well as their own vessel the Konstantin Banacek’s team had captured an old Leopard-class DropShip from the spaceport although it was barely spaceworthy with a little work the vessel could prove useful in the future.

------------

An hour later Stefan Banacek turned his Blood Asp to the right targeting a Shadow Hawk BattleMech with his arm mounted lasers.  The opal coloured beams of the heavy lasers burning through the BattleMech’s right torso and arm armour.  Moments later a tightly packed group of six short range missiles tore into the BattleMech knocking it to the ground.  Stefan glanced at his OmniMech’s stores he was out of gauss rifle ammunition and down to his last half dozen reloads of his short range missile system but they had succeeded in their mission his trinary of BattleMechs, vehicles and Battle Armour had successfully turned back attacks from an enemy that had superior numbers and they had bought the DropShips enough time to load up the supplies they needed.  “Sierra One to Control” he called out

“Go ahead Sierra”

“Bring in the cargo haulers I want to strip the wreckage of any useful technology and ammunition.  It may be a while before we are able to do this again.”  He commanded turning to survey the battle moments later his OmniMech was struck by a flight of long range missiles which punched holes in his torso armour but fortunately did no lasting damage.  Ahead he saw the last four BattleMechs approaching three were medium class designs while the fourth was a sixty ton Merlin BattleMech.  “This is Stefan Banacek stand down or we will destroy your force.”  He said his enemy must have known they were outmatched but continued to approach a particle cannon shot flying high over the Blood Asp.  “As you wish” he said keying in his entire unit but leaving the general frequency also open “all units the last of the defenders are approaching they may expect us to show them honour as Clan warriors are known for.  But what these people need to learn and what all of the Federated Suns need to learn we are not Clansmen!”  He said as further fire from the approaching four Mechs was fired at his unit still no-one fired maintaining their discipline “which is why I now command… FIRE!”  He said in one clear command the entire unit fired as one in a terrifying display of concentrated fire from the combined arms unit all four BattleMechs were torn to pieces, two of the MechWarriors successfully ejected from the hail of fire which was falling on them but none of the BattleMechs remained standing following the engagement.

With the defenders destroyed and their cargo loaded Stefan Banacek’s unit quickly extracted itself from the planet and headed to their rendezvous with the Sceptre which waited ready to leave the system.  By the time the AFFS reinforcements and their destroyer escort arrived at Dothan the rogue Strike Cruiser had already jumped from the system.  Days later across Dothan and from there across the Federated Suns gun camera footage of Banacek’s forces tearing apart the final lance of defenders on Dothan was repeatedly broadcast by news agencies leading to demands of immediate action in response as worlds cried out for additional defences.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2017, 01:53:42 by Dragon Cat »