Author Topic: Legatus Heavy Tank  (Read 2060 times)

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
Legatus Heavy Tank
« on: 23 August 2017, 17:17:27 »
Extract from “Soldier of Fortune”, Issue XXXXVII, January 3066

Legatus Heavy Tank

Mass: 75 Tons
Movement Type: Tracked
Power Plant: FBF 225 Fuel Cell
Cruising Speed:  32 kph
Flank Speed: 54 kph
Armor: FBF Lorica Ferrea w/”Kyrie Eleison” CASE
Armament:
              2 Marian Arms Devastator Gauss Rifles
              2 FBF “Pomegranatum” Vehicular Grenade Launchers
Manufacturer: Fray Beltran Foundries
   Primary Factory: Benevolentia
Communications System: Garret T10-B
Targeting and Tracking System: O/P 911

Overview

Following the design lines of Aldis Industries`s Zhukov, the Legatus is the answer to the need that both the front line and provincial Legions of conventional assault units made in the Hegemony.

Capabilities

In the same line as the Miles, a Fuel Cell engine gives the Legatus a flank speed of 54 kph, and gives power to two powerful Marian Arms Devastator Gauss Rifles in its turret, while two FBF “Pomegranatum”  Vehicular Grenade Launchers give a limited anti-infantry support. While this can be considered a flaw in the design, it is to note that this tanks never have to left friendly infantry support behind, as its main targets are other heavy tanks or mechs. Twelve tons of standard armor plus the

Deployment

As the tank`s original idea born from the provincial Legio`s Cohorts that defended Benevolentia and FBF main installations, those same units were the first in receiving the first tank maniples, and enjoy the more comfortable and spacious internal installations, another lesson learned after the Miles development. Currently the design is being distributed among the provincial Legions of the New Venice Province, and some already been seen in parades in Alphard.

Variants

The tank is still too new to have variants, but already from the design bureaus a sketch of an urban defense variant with heavy automatic cannon and improved inti-infantry protection is being made.

Notable Crews

Miles Probatus Zenón Eustaquio García

An anomaly among the mainly Caucasian and/or Afrikaans population of the province, the Miles Probatus García is another marik exile, this time from the Trinity Worlds, were is wanted by SAFE for revolutionary activities, attacks against federal buildings, and according to some sources, by getting the daughter of a very important officer from the 5Th Oriente Hussars pregnant. Despite his lack of manners, he is a very efficient soldier, appreciated by his crew members, and that usually surprise his fellow commonly English and Latin speaking soldiers with the “Chinga tu Madre!” shout each time he fires its Gauss Rifles.

Legatus Heavy Tank
IS experimental
75 tons 
BV: 1,472
Cost: 3,141,250 C-bills

Movement: 3/5 (Tracked)
Engine: 225 Fuel Cell

Internal: 40
Armor: 200
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Front                       8       50
Right                       8       40
Left                        8       40
Rear                        8       30
Turret                      8       40

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Gauss Rifle                     TU     1
Gauss Rifle                     TU     1
Vehicular Grenade Launcher      TU     1
Vehicular Grenade Launcher      TU     1

Ammo                           Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
Gauss Ammo                      BD     8
VGL Fragmentation Grenade      None     1
VGL Fragmentation Grenade      None     1

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
CASE                            BD

*Image is from the fan-made TRO 3063. I simply modified it a little. The original is a product of the Zhukov MK II artist.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Legatus Heavy Tank
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2017, 22:07:58 »

Big, cheap, dangerous, fuel cell tank... nice concept.

The use of the VGLs is nice touch.

I'd make a variant on the same chassis employing dual LB 10-X ACs and either SRMs or LRMs with the spare tonnage.  (The Zhukov eventually evolves into a couple similar variants about a decade later.)  Run the Legatus with its variant in complementary hole-punching/critting pairs.

And cool art.

Solid work.  Keep it up.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2017, 22:14:48 »
Big, cheap, dangerous, fuel cell tank... nice concept.

The use of the VGLs is nice touch.

I'd make a variant on the same chassis employing dual LB 10-X ACs and either SRMs or LRMs with the spare tonnage.  (The Zhukov eventually evolves into a couple similar variants about a decade later.)  Run the Legatus with its variant in complementary hole-punching/critting pairs.

And cool art.

Solid work.  Keep it up.

I like the idea of dual LB-10X. I was thinking of a urban version with dual AC/20 and MGs. And maybe a 1tn troop transport like the Merkava.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2017, 22:17:50 »
Very nice . Great Defensive militia unit . A bit slow for use in an offensive but firepower and armor is not lacking.