Author Topic: Combined Arms Battalion, 7th Crucis Lancers - with the Sword of Whap!  (Read 4502 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
The 7th Crucis Lancers - famously the "Broken Wheel Charioteers" - is a storied elite Davion RCT. Present at the invasion of Tikonov, the unit fought the combine's best in the War of 3039, before rotating to bring order to the Periphery. The beginning of the FedCom Civil war saw the unit split into three detachments; this combined-arms force operated against the 9th Lyran Regulars on Inarcs.

The battalion's First Company is a medium and maneuverable unit:

The Command Lance - also capable of acting as a Medium Battle or Probe lance - consists of a Griffin GRF-6S, Enforcer III ENF-6T, Griffin GRF-3M, and Hatchetman HCT-5S.

The Fire/Fire Support Lance is made up of a Shadowhawk SHD-5M, Catapult CPLT-C4C, Trebuchet TPT-7M, and JagerMech HM-6AIV - a JM-6DG which replaced its gauss rifles with Arrow IV launchers. This not only provides the unit with artillery or anti-air capacity, it prolongs the life of the JagerMech's pilot by keeping them back from combat.

And finally the Recon Lance (aka Pribe, Pursuit, Light Striker, or Medium Battle lance at need) consists of a Phoenix Hawk PHX-3L, Chimera CMA-1S, Nightsky SGS-6T, and Talon TLN-5W.

The Armour Company from the RCT's armoured regiment:

Myrmydons provide the armoured punch:

Glaives provide powerful direct and indirect fire support:

While a lance of plucky Savannah Masters are the eyes of the unit:

Lastly, the Infantry Company: two platoons of Motorised MG infantry on motorbikes, a platoon of "waddles" - Infiltrator Mk I battle armour for recon, and a platoon of Cavaliers for combat.

Finally, the unit's epynomous command 'Mech, the "Sword of Whap", seen here in conference with lance commanders. The "Whap", originally an Axman AXM-2N, was severely damaged during a Periphery campaign, where it came up against a pirate Banshee wielding an oversized sword. Defeating the pirate cost the "Whap"'s MechWarrior most of his armour, structure and weapons, leading the pilot to request - and get - a comprehensive refit/rebuild.

The new configuration features the pirate's hand and sword assemblies on the right arm, an Ultra-AC 10 on the left, and a small grouping of medium lasers. SRMs replace the LRM-15s, and the 'Mech has been fitted with triple strength myomers. While difficult to manage, the design has been intimidating in action. The battalion's CO does not have a fixed position, instead attaching herself to whichever formation needs her attention at the time.

So, backstory. Over a decade ago - I was still using acrylics back then - I painted the 13 'Mechs featured here in a stab at a generic camo scheme. A few years ago I based them, and gave them a wash with brown ink. As I work on my "master plan", for battalions for major factions in major time periods, I was looking at the gap for a Davion unit in the FCCW period, and thought "surely I can work with this?"

So I got the vehicles and infantry, and did what I could to colour match. Not a perfect match, I admit, but I think it's good enough for Davion work ;) The vehicles got a faded olive drab base, camo slashes in light tan and dark green, and a couple of washes with a light brown ink until the shades began to match.

The "Sword of Whap" concept belongs to (IIRC) Atlas3060, and when I had an Axman with no right hand, and a bunch of fantasy figure spare parts, the match was made in heaven. The UAC-10 comes from a Steel Warrior arm, plus some extra gunbarrels.

A few other points:
- Gauss Enforcer III gets a hand, because, why not? It should have a hook?
- I love the look of the Myrmidons. Unpainted they looked bland; painted, they've got a real Sherman Tank vibe.
- JagerArrow ftw! Face it - converting the Jagers into things which have punch, and which allow them to hang back, should have been mandatory.
- Had to replace the Shadowhawk's AC, and I figured using a cannon captured from DCMS salvage was a good fit ;)

Comments as always welcomed, if not actively sought!

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Combined Arms Battalion, 7th Crucis Lancers - with the Sword of Whap!
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2017, 21:03:45 »
Noice!

I think the unit mix does fit well the the charioteers, though most RCTs could accept the unit reasonably well.

I originally adopted the unit from reading my Battleforce rulebook and the on again off again history they had to that point. Also having my favorite combined arms piece of art (bestest Atlas evarr!) on the box didn't hurt either.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2017, 12:07:24 »
Great looking Unit you have there!  O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2017, 12:27:02 »
I really like the subdued nature of the regimental color markings.
Hayden

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2017, 13:59:31 »
Nicely done, especially the sword! O0

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2017, 15:01:18 »
They all look good Worktroll!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2017, 17:05:38 »
Very nice. Just need some dirty Capellans to fight!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2017, 17:18:11 »
They're more likely to end up fighting Lyrans ;)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2017, 17:27:18 »
They're more likely to end up fighting Lyrans ;)

But you don;t get Green on Green action that way ;)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2017, 17:42:07 »
My FCCW Capellans are currently slated for arctic camo with bronze trim ;)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2017, 17:45:19 »
My FCCW Capellans are currently slated for arctic camo with bronze trim ;)

Now that sounds interesting to see

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2017, 17:55:24 »
Aiming at MERDC Snow, Temperate, with Shrubs. This - at this point - is looking like a white base, then applying the browns, then a brown wash, then drybrushing the white bits back to white. Which could look really good, or could drive me insane, or both.

I'll post a proof of concept at some point.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2017, 21:10:27 »
Nicely done!

I have to say I really like that Jagermech, and the choice of arms for it!

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2017, 11:48:49 »
Very Sweet!!!

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2017, 12:25:33 »
They look awesome man.

This is the second unit you have done that I also did a lance for. LOL

Keep up the awesome work.
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2017, 14:38:57 »
I'm loving your sword choice on the custom Axeman. 😁 I chose a similarly understated blade for my Kurita Kamikaze Charger refit. 😂