Author Topic: Alternative ASF miniatures?  (Read 1249 times)

Sentinel4

• Private
Alternative ASF miniatures?
« on: 17 September 2017, 11:59:13 »
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has any Squadron Commander 3600 miniatures out there and how they compare in scale to the IWM Aerospace miniatures?

As a side note, I am looking for an alternative APC miniature that is larger in scale than what IWM provides.  Any ideas in that direction would be appreciated as well.

Thanks! 

Edit:  Please disregard the question regarding the APC's.  I think I have found what I am looking for.  Possibly the Dropzone Commander 10mm Bear, or the 15mm Ground Zero Games APC.  I believe Khurasan offers something in 15mm too. 

I have no problem with a 3 - 4 man crew sitting/fitting in the tanks that IWM and others offer, but I just can't get my head around a 28 man or 4 point BA platoon filing out of an IWM Maxim, hehe.   I wish I could find the DA clix Maxim still.  That might have been a good fit.

I know, I know....scale is already all over the place when it comes to BT, so why should I care.  Color me crazy.   ::)
« Last Edit: 17 September 2017, 12:44:33 by Sentinel4 »
"Woe to the man that tries to remember, for it is his doom to always forget."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Alternative ASF miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2017, 17:52:13 »
On the APC front, there are many DA options.

- the Fox scout hover, trimmed of turret & dish, is a good heavy hover APC, with a nice big hatch at the back. I often trim the tailfins, and sometimes the cockpits, to make it look a little different.
- Saxon hover APCs make great Saxons, or you can remove the turret for more heavy hover APXs.
- Giggins, with or without turret, are ideal as wheeled heavy APCs
- the Aesir, sans turret, is great too - I've headcannoned it as a "heavier APC", with 8-9 tons capacity, filling the Maxim hole, for a short company, or 2 lances of BA.

The ultimate tracked APC is the W40K epic Rhino. They've got that M-113 vibe with attitude. Stick one on a hexbase with some free-standing infantry, and you've got your mechanised platoon.

While not Squadron minis, I did pick up a couple of packs of 1:300 USN fighters. Most will be converted into BT conventionals, but the Vikings will become Planetlifters ;)

Then, you can always make conventionals out of balsa & styrene ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sentinel4

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2017, 09:29:55 »
Worktroll,

Good call.  I went hog wild on a bunch of MW:DA goodness. 

I picked up 4 Fox Armored cars, 6 R10's, a couple Aesirs, a Saxon, a couple Anats, plus 4 Winstons I hope to modify into IFVs.  Looks like these vehicles will be big too, which is where I wanted to go for my troop carriers.

In addition, I got some combat engineers and combat technicians for my Mech Hangar bays I'm building and some towed gauss's and AC's for good measure.

I was actually looking at the Dropzone Commander Bear APCs and Ground Zero APCs, but I can make these work for much less investment.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the 8 metal Maxims I have, hehe.  Maybe just 'head canon' them as squad carriers.  Regardless, it's a problem a person wants to have.

I guess no one knows the scale of the Squadron Commander 3600 minis.  I might just have to bite and see how they compare in scale to the IWM fighters.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
"Woe to the man that tries to remember, for it is his doom to always forget."

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2017, 11:10:20 »
Really diggin those!  :)
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

Register