Author Topic: Dirty cheating proxy army...  (Read 1737 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Dirty cheating proxy army...
« on: 18 September 2017, 17:02:32 »
Here are some WIP pics of my Davion 7th CL company I call "The Doppelgangers". Made with 100% non-Battletech dirty cheating proxy minis! 😁 I have since finished the unit but haven't taken pics yet. I play mostly Alpha Strike so I decided to use the round bases instead of hexes with these guys.
The big'n is a Reaper CAV pretending to be a Marauder 2 (his dorsal gun has also recently been upgraded to a stupidly big cannon for reasons...), the Unseen are of course Robotech plastics (the Archers are a custom load out with the LRMs downgraded to 15s, 2 med lasers removed, and a single lrg laser and some HSs added), the others are EM4 robots, the humanoid ones are fake Enforcers and the chicken-leg mechs are slightly less ugly wannabe Blitzkriegs.
Well, there is my "random crap from the bits bins" mech company. 😁
« Last Edit: 25 August 2020, 18:39:31 by Major Headcase »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Dirty cheating proxy army...
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2017, 17:47:53 »
I love'em! Especially what you've done with the EM4 minis.

Question 1 - how did you find the RTT minis for assembly? I've been deterred by warnings about their fiddly nature & complexity. They look great here.

Question 2 - could I tempt you into experimenting with one and a light brown ink wash? Or possibly even a light green ink wash? Your painting is excellent, but the wash helps bring out the panelling & details. Happy to talk more via PM if you're interested.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2017, 18:10:21 »
Assembly isn't very difficult,  I did test fittings on my first couple of tries for the Valks and set the parts aside together to keep them separate.  I think there might be online guides now too.

Question 1 - how did you find the RTT minis for assembly? I've been deterred by warnings about their fiddly nature & complexity. They look great here.

Question 2 - could I tempt you into experimenting with one and a light brown ink wash? Or possibly even a light green ink wash? Your painting is excellent, but the wash helps bring out the panelling & details. Happy to talk more via PM if you're interested.

W.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2017, 18:14:52 »
 Magnetizing the arms is easy too for the Spartan to change loadouts. 

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2017, 19:18:40 »

W.

The RRT veritechs are a bit fiddly to build but the Destroids are a snap. Much easier to assemble. I built 8 Destroids in the time it took to build a single set of 3 modes veritech minis...

Also theses pics are a little behind, this company has been finished, complete with highlights, panels work, weathering, and wash. 😁 I will take pics tomorrow of the finished work and post them. I use Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone, thinned with mineral spirits and brushed on as my final detail wash just before dullcoat, so the panels stand out pretty well.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2017, 19:19:52 »
Cool!

(Note, Army Dip is varnish. Standard is teak, strong is walnut. I just cut out the middleman and buy little tins of varnish direct ;) )
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2017, 19:31:37 »
I got these cans years ago and thinning and brushing instead of dipping and shaking doesn't waste the stuff so they have lasted me a long long time. I'm happy with them. I'd love to try Flory wash but I don't know how well it would work on these tiny details and hard-to-rub shapes.
My paint skills used to be much better, but hands and eyes are getting older and I just don't obsess over the details like I used to. I paint to a level I'm satisfied with for table top now. 😊

Sentinel4

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2017, 21:25:07 »
Those look great!  Looking forward to seeing them done.  It motivates me to get going on mine too!
"Woe to the man that tries to remember, for it is his doom to always forget."

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2017, 09:34:29 »
Two thumbs up for nice work there!  8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2017, 11:06:38 »
Cool!
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2017, 11:46:45 »
Sweet!

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2017, 23:04:48 »
Not the best pic, my lighting was atrocious... but here is the finished Dirty Cheating Proxy 7th CL company.
(After I snapped the pic, I realized I never gloss coated the black canopies after I did the dullcoat spray...  ::) )
« Last Edit: 25 August 2020, 18:39:43 by Major Headcase »

Register