Author Topic: How common is EI in the 3140's?  (Read 3369 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
How common is EI in the 3140's?
« on: 15 November 2017, 17:59:24 »
XTRO Republic 3 mentions both Wolves and Hell's Horses deploying mechs using Interface Cockpits.

How common is EI in touman's of the era?  During the Clan Invasion, I seem to recall maybe 1 in 5 warriors would have EI, although they would often be grouped together to ease logistical concerns.

Interestingly, VDNI/bVDNI seems generally superior to Clan EI, for a change. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Maelwys

• Major
Re: How common is EI in the 3140's?
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2017, 00:10:46 »
Unknown really. And CGL isn't likely to give generalized numbers I'd think.

I could see its use being on the increase however. First, its not a new technology, so it stands to reason more people might be using it.

And second, with the somewhat limited units that everyone had for a while, Warriors might be willing to go that extra mile to make sure they're better than their competitors. Less so as production ramps up of course, but early on it might have appeared as a good idea (minus the time of recovery of course)

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2017, 02:32:30 »
You would think that after nearly a century, the Clanner would at least make EI users live longer so they can fight without going nut when they didn't expire before the mental sickness kicks in
On behalf of the Berserker,
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Salvage Dog AU SI Fanfic Thread
Salvage Dog AU Tech Compilation Thread
Salvage Dog AU Battlemech Thread

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2017, 02:42:19 »
You would think that after nearly a century, the Clanner would at least make EI users live longer so they can fight without going nut when they didn't expire before the mental sickness kicks in

Why do that? There's always new warriors to replace them when they fail.  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2017, 04:13:52 »
Rasalhague Dominion and Clan Sea Fox?  Few users given how well they integrated into the Inner Sphere.
Clan Wolf?  Decreased due to logistical strain and the shift away from their ultra-Crusader/aggressive roots under Khan Vlad Ward.  There didn't see to be as much ongoing conflict during the Republic Era between the Wolves and the Lyrans compared to the Falcon-Lyran relations.  Overall decrease due to integration of the large number of freebirth Spheroids.
Clan Jade Falcon?  Increased usage as the influence of Mongol Doctrine in the Falcon touman grew and likely even faster after Malvina Hazen seized power.
Clan Hell's Horses?  As the originators of the Mongrol Doctrine the usage of EI likely increased as the influence of the Mongol Doctrine increased like with the Falcons.
Clan Snow Raven?  Usage likely decreased a little after their integration with the Outworlds Alliance and increased a little as they became more aggressive towards their neighbors not to mention increased use of ProtoMechs.  However with much of their touman concentrated in the aerospace fields and ProtoMechs, the usage likely didn't increase to any significant degree than already existed.
Clan Nova Cats and their offshoot Spirit Cat brethren?  Likely limited given their unClanlike long-term views.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2017, 04:18:31 »
Unknown really. And CGL isn't likely to give generalized numbers I'd think.

I could see its use being on the increase however. First, its not a new technology, so it stands to reason more people might be using it.

And second, with the somewhat limited units that everyone had for a while, Warriors might be willing to go that extra mile to make sure they're better than their competitors. Less so as production ramps up of course, but early on it might have appeared as a good idea (minus the time of recovery of course)

i think that for most clans it has just shifted from being a mechwarrior thing to being a protowarrior thing.. though i suspect the jade Falcons still use it a lot for mechwarriors.

odds are that use of it will be on the rise post-3150.. not only are protomechs still around, but the Clan Interface cockpits require it, and with how much more effective they make mechs, those cockpits are probably going to catch n fast and propagate around.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2017, 05:08:34 »
I'd say that Interface Cockpits, depending on how widespread they become will largely render standard EI work obsolete or a 'cheap' option.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2017, 09:09:24 »
The Clans has a reputation Stigma for warriors living to old age . So the use of a self destructive cockpit sometime between the ages of 41-51 would make sense as age degrades the Dex and Reflexes the use of a special cockpit to off set physical degradation due to age . Giving an 18 year old mech warrior would reduce the warrior productive life it should be anathema to them . Not dying young in battle is embarrassing . Failing that die in a blaze of glory at middle age is the next best.

Demiurge

• Sergeant
  • What matters is it catches mice
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2017, 15:32:37 »

One gaming group I played with came up with an interesting explanation for the fairly strange lack of progress in this area.  Obviously, this is fanon, but particularly elegant as an explanation.

The scientist castes of the Homeworld clans did come up with a therapy to mitigate the effects of EI in the late 3080s after the had a chance to compare and contrast some of the Blakist implants.  They learned a lot from the toaster-worshipper tech, and figured out a thereputic regimen that would slow down and even reverse the degenerative effects of EI.

Problem was, the therapy requires several consecutive months of downtime outside of the cockpit of a mech in order for the neuroprotective therapy to work its magic.  The tempo of a clan warrior's training regimen is such that this basically never happens.  Maintaining proficiency is more important to them than not going insane.  So, while they do take the drug cocktails the scientists cooked up to offset the problems, it makes very little difference if they never take a break.  The technology does exist, but its limitations clash with clan culture so severely that it rarely helps anyone.

Anyway, that's what we came up with.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2017, 18:01:13 »
I'd say that Interface Cockpits, depending on how widespread they become will largely render standard EI work obsolete or a 'cheap' option.
I'm not sure I follow.  EI is required for Clan Interface cockpits.  There is no distinction between "standard" battlemech EI,  proto EI, and Interface cockpit EI.

Idle question... It seems fairly intuitive that using EI to drive a mech or proto is the cause of the "Integration addiction," as alluded in TW, pg 182.  However I'm unclear if it is the use of EI that causes neurological degeneration or is it simply having the hardware?   Aside from the nasty withdrawl effects, could someone simply stop using their EI and suffer no further disability?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2017, 18:48:32 »
The writeups in the ATOW books seem to indicate that the issue is the implantation of the devices, rather than the usage. "Each year after implementation" rather than "Each year of use after implementation."

But it doesn't directly spell it out.

dragonkid11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2017, 21:01:02 »
So essentially, improve the implant, and the lifespan of the user will improve too.
On behalf of the Berserker,

Salvage Dog AU SI Fanfic Thread
Salvage Dog AU Tech Compilation Thread
Salvage Dog AU Battlemech Thread

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2017, 21:26:34 »
Typically used by warriors who aren't concerned about lifespan though.

I bet Spirit Cat purifiers use them. Those cats are crazy.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2017, 21:28:04 »
"Improving the Implant" is probably trickier than it might sound.

The brain doesn't react well to having foreign objects stuck in it. It tends to become inflamed and wall them off with scar tissue. Also, your brain is kinda free floating and even a little bit of wiggling of the implants in your brain matter will gradually cause brain damage.

Also there's apparently a lot of juice going through the thing, enough that an individual suffers physical harm from damage to his battlemech (above and beyond that you experience with a normal neurohelmet).

I mean, there might be room to improve things, buffered VDNI seems a better technology. But it seems less of a question of making a better implant and more of a question of needing a better brain. Which appears to be beyond the capabilities of the clans.

That said, aeropilot phenotypes tolerate EI better (according to the early stuff about protomechs). So there might be another avenue to try for our hypothetical researchers. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2017, 21:46:59 »
I mean, there might be room to improve things, buffered VDNI seems a better technology. But it seems less of a question of making a better implant and more of a question of needing a better brain. Which appears to be beyond the capabilities of the clans.

Users of stock VDNI last about 10 years, bVDNI last about 15.  Both are a far cry from the 1-3 years for Clanners.
The VDNI seems to be better on the table too.

So it looks like we already have our "better implant"

BTW, does VDNI look like anything? Does it connect to the vehicle wirelessly?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2017, 21:50:06 »
I thought the interface suit was the better “implant” instead of needing EI the whole suit acted as a conduit to translate the pilots movements and balance to the BattleMech
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2017, 22:09:34 »
interface cockpits require either VDNI (blakist model) or EI (clan model). the PA is a part of it, but brain to machine interfaces are a key part of how it works, and probably one of the reasons it doesn't need a gyro if it has the interface cockpit.

in a sense, the clan interface cockpit is like a ultraheavy protomech cockpit adapted to full sized mechs. it uses both EI and a PALsuit forcefeedback control rig working together to control the vehicle directly.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2017, 23:04:07 »
So it looks like we already have our "better implant"

Not necessarily. VDNI may allow the user to survive longer, but EI is much more integrated into the unit, and provides additional bonuses over what VDNI does. For instance, you can ignore the modifiers for darkness, and you reduce the to-hit penalties for woods and smoke by 1 per hex (to a minimum of 1 per hex). You also get an active probe with a range of 1 hex.

So yeah. EI perhaps knocks the Warrior out sooner, but it also provides additional benefits.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2017, 23:49:10 »
Prototype DNI provided terrifying levels of bonuses, but it drove its first and only test subject insane immediately (even with medications) and was so sensitive even hits against armor caused pilot damage. There's a clear tradeoff between what the system does for you and how quickly it destroys you.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2017, 09:34:33 »
It's kinda hard to say.  The fluff isn't something that effects normal game.  I'd imagine it's elite pilots would be ones who are the ones doing it or the ones who on their last legs.  Remember, by 3132, Clan Tourmans shrunk to go along with Devlin Stone's imposed military drawdowns. So out that bloodname pool, there must be barely handful by then.

So I would think EI are likely alot more rarer. With Warriors doing the EI assigned to the Science Caste.

I remembered that Era Report: 3145 has a entry for the Elstars, but we don't have alot info on them. Their suppose to be genitally engineered super Trueborns vs someone with a El emplant. They did mentioned in Heretic's Faith, at least mentioned them with the Nova Cats during the invasion of the Republic. I don't know if they were using the EI  emplats.

Rules wise; Units like Ryoken III-XP / Skinwalker - is Experimental. Thus it's stupidly rare. One out of Cluster possibly? It depends on how much additional rules they want deal with i guess. 
« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 21:26:15 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2017, 20:46:20 »

Rules wise; Units like Ryoken III-XP / Skinwalker - is Experimental. Thus it's stupidly rare. One out of Cluster possibly? It depends on how much additional rules they want deal with i guess.

True but most clans seem to have a robust protomech program.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2017, 23:17:51 »
Part of the problem I think would be having to cross train the pilots really. Sure, you can do it one or two off as something experimental, but if you start issuing the Machina Domini tech on a wider scale...

massey

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2017, 00:06:31 »
EI would probably be used by the super-aggressive young pilots who want to make a name for themselves quickly, and hope to die before they burn out.  During a long period of relative peace, there aren't that many opportunities for glory.  But with a new invasion on the horizon (ilClan book?), every 18 year old who passes the test for warrior status would have to seriously consider getting an implant.

It's like steroids in baseball.  There are major health issues, but it makes you an ass-kicker during your prime.  Do you want to be a mechwarrior?  Or do you want to start as a Star Captain and go up from there?

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2017, 02:00:25 »
In canon I can't recall them being mentioned in any of the Dark Ages (or beyond) novels or sourcebooks. I can see it's used on the rise, at least among the "Mongol" Jade Falcons. We also don't know anything about the Homeworld's Clans, they may have improved it for all we know.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2017, 02:33:18 »
The only person I've heard mentioned that uses EI is Sadia Wolf, the Catapult pilot from the Dark Ages set.

Register