Author Topic: former forum posts from forums gone by  (Read 1145 times)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
former forum posts from forums gone by
« on: 12 January 2018, 16:12:26 »
i know its wistful thinking that some of the designers here would dust off their old designs from old and dead forums of battletech .it is such a shame that none were properly archived against the event those forums rolled over and died . i have managed to run down a very few , but they are all to few . so how about it guys you've most likely still have them in your files . i know i would really enjoy them , out dated or not . also pretty sure some of your designs would put some fire into the loins of all the young folks that cruise this forum .
the original old salty sea dog

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
Re: former forum posts from forums gone by
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2018, 17:31:07 »
I peruse the lost boards on wayback.   and contacted many of said posters here and many have been lost as they lost the designs to hard drive crashes.   some posted in other sites such as lords of the battlefield, battletech universe and Heavy Metal.    i saved many as i can from wayback and two such were reposted here on the fourms.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
Star Captain James Sword

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2018, 22:36:05 »
thanks wolfcanon for the update . i also go over to lotb and scan what they've got . only thing is a lot of the really old posts  are in a stats format i'm not used to . so it's a little hard to decipher just what is there . there are also a lot of good stuff  over at the hm forum from some of the current members of this forum . it has really helped me fill out my periphery au i'm working on . thanks again .

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2018, 14:30:20 »
One older design I posted on solaris7 (can't figure out their current design) was a semi-mobile field gun style.  Essentially a wheeled or treaded vehicle with a Gauss Rifle in the Forward mount.  No turret, sides and rear had ~10 pts of armor each, the front had ~200 pts.  If you try to engage from the front in a slugging match, hope for crits.

Another design they had on Solaris7 was the Obsidian Idol.  100 ton Clan Omni with every Mech tech it could tossed on (Endo-steel, DHS, XL engine, and FF too IIRC).  One of the designs had four Gauss Rifles on it, and a comment read, 'Dear god, the Clanners hired a Lyran'.

One fun set of rules I had there was population estimates in the periphery.  IIRC is was like:
Start:
Table 1:
1 - 1000 adults
2-6 - roll on table 2

Table 2:
1-2 - 10,000 people
3-6 - Roll on Table 3
Repeat that until you get the last table where only rolling a 6 gave you the max base population (100 million people).

You then multiplied the base population by:
1 - 1
2 - 1.45
3 - 2.15
4 - 3.15
5 - 4.65
6 - 6.8

My theory was that you would need at least 500 couples to keep enough genetic variation to avoid long-term inbreeding, and the multiplication formed a nice curve to increase to the next order of magnitude.  Children are not included, allowing the GM to have a nice story.  There were other die roll modifiers so you could allow for proximity to other high-population worlds, and similar.  Lost a lot of stuff when that site went down
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 18:21:55 by idea weenie »

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2018, 05:16:31 »
Solaris7 is rebuilding.
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile