Author Topic: Old calculators  (Read 2296 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Old calculators
« on: 15 January 2018, 12:11:34 »
The Millionaire
Friden EC-132

Fascinating stuff I have to say.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: Old calculators
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2018, 14:39:52 »
Man...  those were interesting vids.
And seeing the electronic calc with all those discrete components... Makes me feel old.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2018, 17:16:21 »
Oh, mechanical calculators. That's some interesting stuff. I got engrossed in mechanical computing a while back and wanted to buy a Curta calculator off eBay, but those calculators look a bit more available.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2018, 15:47:50 »
I hit the transition from slide-rules to calculators when I was in high school.  My sophomore chemistry teacher taught us how to use a slide-rule, and by the time I was a senior they were letting us use calculators in class.  I still have the slide-rule my dad bought for me to use in school, and several more that he used at work before he retired.  Fascinating things.
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2018, 16:28:28 »
On the note of transitions...

In high school, my math classes required the use of a TI-81 calculator. You had the option of borrowing it from the school (most students borrowed it permanently after graduating) or paying it off installments, something like $77 total. It was a great tool - my pre-calc and calculus courses revolved around it, and I got to learn not just the value of graphing but also programming to solve math problems.

But at the same time, when we hit logarithms they broke out the slide rules and taught us those. Those were fun.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

ShinEva

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2021, 17:23:00 »
Oh man, those things are so amazing, especially the Millionaire Machine, it is just .... incredible! That thing weighs like a piano, however, it does not do anything more than just some calculations, ain't that incredible! I mean, what are we doing nowadays using a tiny plastic thing, or our mobile phones, back in the day you actually needed such a giant thing for that! Nowadays you even have various calculators and unit converters online which is also amazing, like that we actually see the development and progress that we have been going through.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2021, 12:03:44 by ShinEva »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2021, 22:27:19 »
In a similar vein, check out the Curta.  A mechanical calculator developed in the 1930s, that fit in the palm of your hand.  Very few were returned due to damage, most were returned in pieces due to the owners deciding to take them apart and put them back together.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2021, 00:21:53 »
i remember seeing a mechanical hand calculator that looked like a pepper shaker/grinder
but most impressive thing i had seen was the babbage engine...
that reminds me there was a group that was supposed to build one and compete it...never found out if it was completed
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2021, 16:28:59 »
i remember seeing a mechanical hand calculator that looked like a pepper shaker/grinder

That sounds like the Curta that idea weenie mentions.

but most impressive thing i had seen was the babbage engine...
that reminds me there was a group that was supposed to build one and compete it...never found out if it was completed

The London Science Museum has a recreation of Babbage's Difference Engine, the big calculator, and there's a second one in the US. (The Science Museum also has a recreation of the printer that Babbage designed to go with it!)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2021, 18:00:23 »
That sounds like the Curta that idea weenie mentions.
*snip*
Concur!

And the Seattle Science Center at least used to have a very nice illustration of what a "normal" distribution looked like demonstrated with little balls falling through a huge array of pins.