Author Topic: Any way to get cyanoacrylate off the Ral Partha blue resin?  (Read 1792 times)

abou

• Captain
Topic speaks for itself.  When I was younger, I bought one of the lance packs that was made of blue resin.  The damn stuff would never really hold together and I think I've got more glue on the Marauder than there is Marauder.  Acetone would melt the miniature and I'm at a loss for what else to do.

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
Re: Any way to get cyanoacrylate off the Ral Partha blue resin?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2011, 17:10:43 »
Try Simple Green or Pine Sol. It should not affect the resin. Leave it there for a day or so and brush with an old toothbrush afterward and it should be all good. I know this works with the pewter minis very well. I don't see it being a problem with the resins. ( I have been known to be wrong before! )
Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2011, 17:45:00 »
Oven cleaner will make the CA brittle, without damaging the resin. Then (carefully) snap off the part, and use a sharp point to pick off the CA crust.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2011, 19:14:38 »
I know that acetone will take off super glue, I don't know what it will do to the resin. Fingernail polish remover is acetone.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2011, 17:33:22 »
Most strategies for removing paint involve some sort of de-greaser: Pine Sol, Simple Green, Purple Power (for car engines), oven cleaner, etc. fall into this general category. De-greasers all tend to make cyanoacrylate brittle after some soaking time.

Register