Author Topic: Steve's Dedicated Server Thread  (Read 152316 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Steve's Dedicated Server Thread
« on: 25 January 2011, 20:13:46 »
Current Server Status:

Server Address: mechadynamics.net OR 50.116.17.215
Ports:

47.11 = 2347

I've registered #Battletech on the Espernet IRC Network. If you need to reach me in a hurry about server issues, thats a good place to find me.
server: irc.esper.net ports 6667, 5555, 7000, or 6697 for ssl. #Battletech

Or, go here: http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=MechWarrior...&channels=Battletech&prompt=1

Alternately you can use this mibbit link: http://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23battletech&server=irc.esper.net
« Last Edit: 22 January 2023, 13:42:10 by Hammer »
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Steve's Dedicated Server Thread
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2011, 20:58:09 »
Also, Requesting stickification, as it was pre-wipe.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Noshoba

• Lieutenant
  • Vulgar Gryphons Commander
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 22:37:03 »
Well we all get to start over. I  hope I still have my avatar and signatures  changed computers.. Can't wait Steve.  I guess it will take time to get back to normal.
Hauptmann-Kommandant Rienhart von Kolnitz  senior commander of Erprobungskommando 19 "SturmWache"

Captain "Colonel" Chian Richatlan  commander of the mercenary  "Vulgar Gryphons " Special Opewrations Group

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 02:14:00 »
He he he, this actually came up over on the Intelser forums, where we highly appreciate your hosting ;)

I had to tell people. Hey, just cause the site's down doesn't mean the servers are :P Here's the last info I had on your servers. :P

SteveRestless:
Current Server Status:
Server URL/IP*: mechadynamics.net / 69.129.174.11
Ports:

34.9 = 2345
35.21 = 2346
35.19 = 2347
35.19 = 2348

(Somewhat Outdated) Map List: http://restless.mechadynamics.net/maplist.txt

* You can use either an alphanumeric URL OR an IP Address for the server address in MegaMek

Server Specifications:
[Ra]
Processor: Athlon 1.2ghz
Memory: 512mb
Hard Drive: 40gb
Operating System: Debian 4
Duties: Web, SFTP, Shell, Firewall/Router

[Cthulhu]
Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
Memory: 1gb
Harddrive: 60gb
Operating System: Debian Linux
Duties: Megamek

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 06:17:22 »
Also I did not use your service much recently, still, and again, you have my thanks.  :)
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 11:18:18 »
He he he, this actually came up over on the Intelser forums, where we highly appreciate your hosting ;)

I had to tell people. Hey, just cause the site's down doesn't mean the servers are :P Here's the last info I had on your servers. :P

Thanks! that saves me a little bit of work, but I do have to change a couple things, the forums went down right after I upgraded things to 35.21. Glad they're appreciated

Also I did not use your service much recently, still, and again, you have my thanks.  :)

You're quite welcome.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 11:55:01 »
Sticky  :D

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 16:32:15 »
Thanks! Looks like I need to map those server addresses again!

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2011, 18:09:33 »
2348 switched from 35.19 to 35.21

Had reports that that the 35.21 server is crashing and needing resets.  I STRONGLY URGE people to make sure they are connecting to the proper port with the proper version. Version Mismatch can cause instability and crashes. If the server crashes, please email restless@chaosgarden.net so I can reset it.

shattering22

« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2011, 11:16:47 »
i just wanted to say thank you for the use of your server, now me and my brother can play together, thanks a ton

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2011, 16:04:35 »
I always love to hear that people are using the server and appreciate it! Thanks :D

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2011, 17:29:36 »
Dear Steve,

with my friend we used your server to play a battle for our campaign. A few minutes ago during the battle his internet connection was lost. I used /localsave command to get "savegame.sav" file. He suggests finishing the fight tomorrow. Is any way how to resume the battle on your server in the moment we were interrupted?

Thanks for an answer

Martian

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2011, 20:33:07 »
Well, if you email me the save file, I can put it back on the server.

For Future Use, use /save instead of /localsave and then you can use /load to load the saved game.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2011, 00:33:15 »
All right, thank you very much. I will remember it next time. Now it's not necessary, he just sent me an e-mail in which he incorporated it into campaign.

But just for the interest, I tried /save command after that and nothing happened. So if we wished to resume the fight, I would typed /load and then selected the file savegame.sav? Could he join already, or should he join after the savegame was loaded?

Caturix

• Sergeant
  • Ex Astris, Scientia.
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2011, 15:17:33 »
Looks like your servers are down (France time : 21h15 on the 18/02/11); on 35.19 and 35.21 (both).
"The Mechwarrior formerly known as Stenka"

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2011, 17:53:11 »
Windy conditions here in wisconsin have been causing power outages all over the city. [strike]Server will be back up shortly.[/strike]

Edit: Servers are back up as of 4:56 pm central time
« Last Edit: 18 February 2011, 17:57:07 by SteveRestless »

Caturix

• Sergeant
  • Ex Astris, Scientia.
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2011, 06:27:24 »
Thanks a lot :D !!
"The Mechwarrior formerly known as Stenka"

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 03 March 2011, 18:50:13 »
PROVISIONAL 35.22 server is running on port 2349

NOTE: This server is currently for testing purposes only. If it crashes, it crashes. I will not be reloading any autosaves from it, and from what I hear, .22 may have some issues that make it less reliable than .21, so if you're playing a game of any importance, I suggest using .21 or .19 instead. If the server is crashed, let me know and I'll restart it, but this instance is a provisional instance, and is a support non-priority.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 09 March 2011, 17:24:29 »
Server Updated. 35.22 upgraded from provisional status to full status. running on 2346 and 2349.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2011, 16:11:52 »
Servers are down because the router machine died, and we're in emergency operations mode. we'll be trying to re-establish a proper configuration late this evening. Sorry for the inconvenience.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2011, 11:51:50 »
Server is Back Up.

It was the weirdest thing. I've been preparing a server upgrade for awhile now, and just hours after I migrated the last of the data from my old Main Server Ra, the harddrive died in it. Just after the IRC network where I'm staff performed an upgrade to a new ircd. So, I had to rapidly get my new setup going, but the router wasn't behaving quite the way I had hoped it would, and no one could load pages. So I had to put a temporary router up.  Then, after hours when I had a chance to get ahold of my Guru, got the server working the way it was supposed to.

New Setup:

Anpu:
Pentium4 2.8ghz
256mb Ram
40gb HD
Debian Linux 6.0
Routing and Firewall duties.

Ghostwheel:
Pentium4 3.0ghz
2gb Ram
1tb HD
Debian Linux (Host) Debian Linux (GhostMain VM)
Virtual Server Host

Cthulhu:
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
1gb Ram
60gb HD
Debian Linux
Megamek, IRC Bot duties.

Libertadkrieger

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 24 April 2011, 22:18:22 »
Just curious, because I'm running a persistent merc campaign using your servers (Which I, being a technical dumb-dumb, appreciate more than I could ever describe) is there any way to load custom units on to the server for use?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 25 April 2011, 17:27:55 »
Custom Units are local to the client.

Custom Maps are Local to the Server (but to preview them, you need to have them in the client too)

Custom Camoflauge files are local to the client.

What I do, is i put my files, my camos, my maps, and my mechs into a megamek install, zip it back up, and put it up for my friends to grab, so that they have the same camos I do, and access to my custom mechs.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2011, 18:12:30 »
Hey Steve, thanks for the gamehost! Had a great game with Neko_Bijin the other night thanks to you.

Question, I just tried to log in to the same gameserver (2345) as I used 2 nights ago, and it lets me in (I can even see the ghosts from our last game session) but it immediately kicks me off. Wondering if we did something wrong when we were done? We just sorta closed out....
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2011, 17:02:16 »
No, I'll cycle that one. Thanks for the heads up.

[edit]
Cycled.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 17:04:16 by SteveRestless »

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2011, 20:39:18 »
Thanks! Is there a way I can tell it to cycle when I leave? I'm all about being a responsible community member.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2011, 23:27:13 »
if you'd like, you can /reset which will clear the board, and put it back to the lobby. but for a full cycle, you'd need command line access to the server.

There are certain errors that build up over time from bad connections and such, and its good to kill the server and start it back up now and then. I've been thinking of finding a way to automate that. I'm glad to see the servers are still getting used, too.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2011, 00:14:12 »
My internet access is my Evo4g and WiFi tether. There's no way to set up port forwarding for WiFi Tether, that I know of, and not all of my friends know how to monkey with their routers. So yeah, you're a lifesaver, and thanks! O0

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2011, 00:54:21 »
Yeah, that'd be a pain. Glad its helpful for you. if it ever needs a reset and is totally stuck, email me at restless [a t] chaosgarden.net

RogueK

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 01 June 2011, 13:19:56 »
So... Any word on when we'll get a server for 35.23?

I use your servers pretty much exclusivly as due to our setups most of the people I play with (and me) seem to have serious problems acting as servers ourselves, yours are a godsend really. Thanks.

For that matter... Anyone clue where I can find the maps on this server megamek doesn't have by default? They seem to be eluding me.

Register