Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week-Trajan Assault Infantry Fighting Vehicle  (Read 12276 times)

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
Re: Vehicle of the Week-Trajan Assault Infantry Fighting Vehicle
« Reply #30 on: 02 February 2011, 01:15:36 »
Uncle Blake wants you!

Well, I do think Shadow Division paint schemes are rather dapper... but I meant more along the lines of finally justifying a RAF company or two once some more info about their organization is released.
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #31 on: 02 February 2011, 03:32:42 »
Couple of points GWA:

1.  regular MG range (ie 3 hexes) /is/ close in.

2.  Badly-written fluff aside, there's absolutely nothing odd about the bay size, it's the correct size to carry a squad of Assault-class BA. 

-Jackmc

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 02 February 2011, 05:01:06 »
The core problem is you should not have so many infantry in one vehicle-- that sort of transport is for a battle taxi that unloads the infantry well short of the combat zone. Actual combat vehicles should have smaller numbers of infantry and larger numbers of vehicles, to avoid losing all your eggs when one basket gets blown sky high.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 02 February 2011, 05:57:54 »
But when looked at as a BA transport, it looks more attractive than as a regular PBI transport.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #34 on: 02 February 2011, 07:37:20 »
2.  Badly-written fluff aside, there's absolutely nothing odd about the bay size, it's the correct size to carry a squad of Assault-class BA. 

Just to note, that's only under the optional rule in TacOps (which, admittedly, I favor myself over the regular BA cargo footprint of 1 ton to a suit).

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 02 February 2011, 16:55:30 »
Just a note- Game Mechanics are a little strange when it comes to interior space. Sometimes you have to hand wave.

The Trajan was intended to carry assault/heavy infantry, so only 2 standard platoons max (converted to WoB formations).
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 02 February 2011, 18:31:06 »
And when you compare 3/5/0 to 1/1/0 it looks more attractive. Especially when you consider the permissiveness of the environment. In order for a Maxim or Karnov to be more appropriate you have to be reasonably assured that it either 1. won't be the primary target (unlikely considering the bag of goodies they're carrying), or 2. they won't be hit. The only way to guarantee the latter is to deliver infantry on target before the enemy is in range (no mean feat if the map board size is proportional to the force). What happens if they are in range? Well a few rotor hits or skirt strikes later you either have your infantry spread across the countryside like jam on toast or they're in a box on the ground waiting for the turn of consolidated fires that will turn them into cinders.

Will the Trajan attract fire? Probably. Is it a more attractive target than a Karnov? Dunno, depends on how much you like seeing whirlybird birds take tumbles. But it provides some infantry fire support, can deliver two squads of BA to the field, and has enough armor to take the odd hit or two (compared to the Karnov which can't).