Author Topic: Washes: before or after highlights?  (Read 1793 times)

abou

• Captain
Washes: before or after highlights?
« on: 19 August 2011, 16:36:53 »
So I've seen both of processes done, but I get various results when I try it.  What do you guys do?

I suppose depending on the thinness of the wash, I kind of thought that maybe a wash would help blend colors together but maybe an ink is better for that?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
Re: Washes: before or after highlights?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2011, 21:45:41 »
It depends on what you are trying to do, actually.

I have some where I highlighted them, then did the wash, because the wash diffused the lines
of the panelling effects. For my House Ma Tsu Kai, I do the wash before the highlighting, because
I want the darker undercoat to make the panelling stand out more.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
Re: Washes: before or after highlights?
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2011, 22:53:49 »
It all depends on the way you paint....

If you paint with a base coat 3 or 4 shades less that what you want the final to be you can then wash first and darken it up or do the highlights and wash to darken up...

Using a wash of the same color or a few shades darker is the best way blend the lines so to speak but there is another trick for that and that is transparent inks or glazes.

You can also just do a targeted wash where you just wash the panel lines not the entire mech.

No way is right or wrong and you will just have to experiment to get the look you want.
There would be less humans if they were tastier....