Author Topic: Merc Contract Length?  (Read 1329 times)

gigobyte

• Sergeant
  • Rock'em Sock'em Robots that I don't get bored of.
Merc Contract Length?
« on: 09 December 2015, 14:40:36 »
The way I read in "A Time of War: Companion" I am interpreting that you get paid after the contract term length is up, even when it comes to contracts that shouldn't take that long. Like Assassination waiting the full length of the contract, even though you assassinated the guy in month one...can anyone shed some light on this?

Is this to make sure he is dead, or maybe it is just to justify killing someone (the extra money). Again this statement is just for example in the above assassination contract.

Others it makes sense, like "Riot Duty" working for the allotted contract length...

Vition2

• Lieutenant
Re: Merc Contract Length?
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2015, 15:59:56 »
When it comes to RPing, don't let the official rules stand in the way of logic and realism.  For an assassination job, allow the PCs to be paid as soon as verification or proof of death is shown.  In the BTU this could be as quickly as a few minutes after proof of death is shown and the employer is located on the same world or multiple months if the employer requires external (to the party) verification and exists on the other side of the sphere.  Also, considering an employer for assassination is not going to want anything leading back to him, they may just take the mercenary's word for it, and if it turns out the merc was lying, well, that merc is likely to be the next target.

idea weenie

• Major
Re: Merc Contract Length?
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2015, 16:04:23 »
When it comes to RPing, don't let the official rules stand in the way of logic and realism.  For an assassination job, allow the PCs to be paid as soon as verification or proof of death is shown.  In the BTU this could be as quickly as a few minutes after proof of death is shown and the employer is located on the same world or multiple months if the employer requires external (to the party) verification and exists on the other side of the sphere.  Also, considering an employer for assassination is not going to want anything leading back to him, they may just take the mercenary's word for it, and if it turns out the merc was lying, well, that merc is likely to be the next target.

The merc better be careful.  There is a phrase of "double cut-out".  In other words, the assassin gets killed along with the target.

But for Assassination contract length, I'd look at it where the hirer is wanting to pay X C-Bills to have a person assassinated, and if the target is still alive after Y amount of time, the contract is void.  So no spending 50 years of an assassination contract then take credit for the target dying of old age.