Author Topic: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??  (Read 42847 times)

Garner

• Sergeant
Re: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??
« Reply #60 on: 13 July 2013, 15:32:21 »
Saw it, expecting a 'love story to japanese monster movies', and got exactly what I hoped for. It was my first time seeing a film in 3-D since they became a 'thing' again, and on the whole it worked quite well.

Also, I'd need to see it again to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I saw an outline of a valkyrie on a blueprint on someone's wall at one point.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 13 July 2013, 16:08:36 »
Come to think of it, I wonder if that's what Striker Eureka carried? It did have missiles that seemed reasonalby effective vs kaiju.

Those looked more like a short-ranged missile, from their length:width (about 5:1, from when they were being reloaded).  I'd see them as super-sized SRMs instead of Arrow IV.

Frankly, I'd be terrified of any bacterium tough enough to survive in a Kaiju's system(to say nothing of surviving what would likely have to be a very violent delivery system), and lethal enough to kill one of those monsters in the short period of time between crossing the breach and getting put down by more conventional means.

Ah, I meant something to clean up the blue sludge from the Kaiju attacks, not an quick-kill critter/nerve agent.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #62 on: 13 July 2013, 18:01:21 »
Yeah, I laughed at that comment!

So they switched back to using analog systems briefly just for giant robots and then switched back?

Ah well.  Super robot is all about the passion and pagentry anyway.  It's not like the whole movie wasn't playing more fast and loose with physics than a Disney film.

Possible stupid in-universe explanation:  the early kaiju were only stopped by nuclear weaponry.  perhaps early design doctrine  (up through those Mark III's) was to make the jaegers less vulnerable to EMP?
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 13 July 2013, 18:14:30 »
Possible stupid in-universe explanation:  the early kaiju were only stopped by nuclear weaponry.  perhaps early design doctrine  (up through those Mark III's) was to make the jaegers less vulnerable to EMP?

I have wonder about that giving they were creating a wall and I saw gun emplacement and the first batch were kill with regular weaponary if part of the strategy was to close off the pacific and just nuke it till it glow

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #64 on: 13 July 2013, 18:55:20 »
I saw it today too. I was Hoping it would be the movie four year old me has been waiting for since I saw my first Godzilla movie - I wasn't disappointed. Saw it in 2D and it was still awesome, but I may try and catch it in IMAX too. It has been a long time since seeing a summer blockbuster really felt like an event, but PacRim lived up to iT.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #65 on: 13 July 2013, 18:58:39 »
"More "Transformers" than "Cloverfield."
More like "Let's take the 2000 Godzilla, Transformers, Cloverfield, and Independence Day. Now strip out about 80% of the stuff that sucked in all of those, now I want more robots. No... MORE ROBOTS, better."

Where is the terror?

The first few seconds where the Golden Gate bit it. Granted my inner geek squealed thinking "FINALLY A GODZILLA FILM!" But then I realized if that happened in real life I would be shocked and scared.

Where is the suspense?
Fighting these things and all the little surprises.

Where is the beauty? The majesty? The sense of loss?"
To answer these in order: The Gypsy Danger and also the female lead, Gypsy Danger, and Gypsy Danger

This one is going into the DVD library when it releases.  O0
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #66 on: 13 July 2013, 19:52:28 »
  What do you get when you take three pairs of internet game/movie reviewers and make them the Jaeger pilots in an officially-sanctioned Pacific Rim fan-film?

This.  Watch for the cameos.  ;D

In the words of one Spacebattler:

...That was wonderful. It was so campy and delightful and stupid and great. And of course TB and Husky are the first of the three to be even remotely competent.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: 13 July 2013, 20:17:21 »
I had to go IMAX for this. Made me feel like I was ten again. Everything I wanted from the movie, it delivered in spades.  The soundtrack and props all contributed to that old school Heavy Metal Mayhem feel. The 3D was cool, but not a deal breaker. Just the only way they showed it on the big IMAX screen. Time to go hunt down the heroclix models for my N-scale games. >:D

I'm also surprised nobody has been making "waiting for the shoe to drop" jokes about the reception here yet.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #68 on: 13 July 2013, 20:31:02 »
Dodger!
Grumps!
Yay!  ;D
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 13 July 2013, 20:41:39 »
I had to go IMAX for this. Made me feel like I was ten again. Everything I wanted from the movie, it delivered in spades.  The soundtrack and props all contributed to that old school Heavy Metal Mayhem feel. The 3D was cool, but not a deal breaker. Just the only way they showed it on the big IMAX screen. Time to go hunt down the heroclix models for my N-scale games. >:D

I'm also surprised nobody has been making "waiting for the shoe to drop" jokes about the reception here yet.

if you notice most of us like this movie so much we are being very careful on not spoiling it.  we are actually taking extra care on what we say so no one be spoil cause we do want this movie to do well

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 13 July 2013, 20:42:09 »
I have wonder about that giving they were creating a wall and I saw gun emplacement and the first batch were kill with regular weaponary if part of the strategy was to close off the pacific and just nuke it till it glow

http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Pacific_Rim:_Tales_From_Year_Zero

Per the Pacific Rim Year Zero comic, apparently the first few kaiju rampages required nuclear intervention to be stopped.

There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #71 on: 13 July 2013, 22:18:11 »
This is a soundtrack album I am looking forward to saving up for and buying.

don't forget the best songs from the soundtrack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FfB09Wie6yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tj-edq36_gk
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #72 on: 13 July 2013, 23:06:44 »
I had a lot of fun at this movie. Not as much fun as iron sky but it was still a great movie. I was very much having fun when some of the best deaths by both sites.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #73 on: 13 July 2013, 23:34:18 »
don't forget the best songs from the soundtrack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FfB09Wie6yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tj-edq36_gk
I give it two days before someone mashes up Gurren lagann to this film.
*looks in Youtube*
Wow they work fast.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #74 on: 13 July 2013, 23:42:19 »
I didn't see the Gurren lagann one.

though I concede the second one and it's tie in caught me off guard this soon.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #75 on: 13 July 2013, 23:52:29 »
I didn't see the Gurren lagann one.

though I concede the second one and it's tie in caught me off guard this soon.
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tybE7UYL3eo
It is one of the better attempts on the trailer from what I currently see.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #76 on: 14 July 2013, 00:02:41 »
What a cornball movie.

. . .

It was awesome!!

I noticed that Gypsy Danger pulled off a foghorn/Inception noise every time she wound up a huge punch. Also, finally a kickass girl co-star! She was freakin awesome! The score was really repetitive but somehow it worked.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 14 July 2013, 00:31:05 »
This was everything I wanted in an homage to the big giant robots of the 80s. Thank you, Guillermo del Toro!

Saw it in a theatre with 20 of my friends... yeah, twenty of us. They were laughing and screaming with an otherwise shocked crowd. Saw it in Ultra AVX 3D and had a blast.

Didn't have popcorn or drinks since I didn't wanna miss a minute of this.

Need to see it again.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 14 July 2013, 05:50:11 »
I'm going to completely beat my skull in now, because they're making REALLY esoteric references with the comic (thank you for the link, by the way) to stuff I thought was looooong buried. "Doctor Lightcap" is one of the scientists in the comic...does anyone remember the ancient G-Force dub of Gatchaman?  The one starring...DOCTOR BRIGHTHEAD.

Well played, you sly ********.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #79 on: 14 July 2013, 15:34:05 »
Saw it yesterday, absolutely great popcorn movie . . . I will go see it again, probably Tuesday.  Loved the soundtrack as well and it had all the right touches for what it was . . . the two hotshots fighting was right one que.

Reducing the scale a bit, it is exactly what I pictured a mechbay being like for BT.  The PPDC Eagle also has a nice look I want to use, and the Jager pilot suits are just how I would picture a BA bodysuit, minus the hard plates.  I thought it was interesting they were basically controlled the same way the protomechs would.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 14 July 2013, 15:41:22 »

I noticed that Gypsy Danger pulled off a foghorn/Inception noise every time she wound up a huge punch. Also, finally a kickass girl co-star! She was freakin awesome! The score was really repetitive but somehow it worked.

I'm sure you also noticed who was the voice of the Jaeger A.I....

-- William S. Burroughs

punpusher

• Corporal
« Reply #81 on: 14 July 2013, 17:16:08 »
Is it just, or could they have pulled off the Jaegers with just swords and plasma cannons? The slugging and some of the ranged weapons seemed rather ineffective, but when they started pulling out the swords, the kaiju seemed to drop like flies.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #82 on: 14 July 2013, 18:01:30 »
Well . . . the only one to have a sword was Gypsy, and it had been rebuilt.

I think the punching was to get it to hold still enough for the charging plasma cannons to fire.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #83 on: 14 July 2013, 19:37:19 »
I'm sure you also noticed who was the voice of the Jaeger A.I....

Of course! :)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #84 on: 14 July 2013, 19:54:44 »
The score was really repetitive but somehow it worked.

The "gearing up" music at the beginning when they're suiting up (Amazon tells me the track is just called 'Pacific Rim') had me so pumped it was ridiculous. I felt like such a kid.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #85 on: 14 July 2013, 20:23:45 »
Is it just, or could they have pulled off the Jaegers with just swords and plasma cannons? The slugging and some of the ranged weapons seemed rather ineffective, but when they started pulling out the swords, the kaiju seemed to drop like flies.

Didn't one of the swords shatter after being deployed from a lateral kaiju "fist" strike?  My assumption would be that they are fragile.....

....Or that this is a super robot movie, and Super Robots have to use their FISTS!   ;D

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #86 on: 14 July 2013, 20:33:04 »
When I went and saw it  I was wearing a Battletech TShirt!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 14 July 2013, 20:50:04 »
Didn't one of the swords shatter after being deployed from a lateral kaiju "fist" strike?  My assumption would be that they are fragile.....

....Or that this is a super robot movie, and Super Robots have to use their FISTS!   ;D

I think it got torn free from its mounting.

-- William S. Burroughs

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #88 on: 14 July 2013, 21:44:42 »
Yeah, Gypsy had something that looked like a chainsaw and snapped into place.  Eureka had retractable blades, which only appeared when it was cornered.
Colt Ward

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #89 on: 14 July 2013, 22:11:05 »
Yeah, Gypsy had something that looked like a chainsaw and snapped into place.  Eureka had retractable blades, which only appeared when it was cornered.

Gipsy's weapons were Prog Blades (from Evangelion).

Register