Author Topic: (Answered) Maintenance, mothballs, and tech experience teams  (Read 3015 times)

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
I finally broke down and bought SO, really enjoying it thus far. I do have some questions I am not sure I understand properly...
=================
So it takes regular maintenance to keep up equipment in operational shape, I assume to keep laser focusing disks in alignment, magnetic coils from wobbling out of alignment, myomer bundles from breaking down, etc... so if you kept a mech or a PPC in a storage warehouse you would still need maintenance as normal, unless you went through the process of mothballing it, quaiff?
=================
Salvage is automatically the lowest grade of equipment "quality", but does this mean if I OSK a clan Dire Wolf's head, the undamaged salvage I get (weapons, heat-sinks, etc) will suddenly be considered Salvage quality? On this I am confused.
=================
Someone can refurbish a part to attempt to increase it's quality level by one level. This includes replacing old parts of the item, ranging from power cables to feed belts to bolts and screws. Someone can do this up to F quality.

Does this mean that I can take a junked 3rd SS-War era SRM-2, disassemble it and refurbish it to a higher quality, then take it apart and put it back together again another time to raise it yet hire, etc until it is F-class?

Or, as seems more sensible to me, I can take it apart and rebuild the worn out parts, then roll on my technician skill to see what level the reassembled part falls into?

I recognize that it may cost more to refurbish all the parts compared to buying a new factory SRM-2, but I am thinking of doing so for the experience factor... one of my Gaming fantasies basically involves a big Astech school/training ground where the junkiest of scrapped machines and equipment is brought, torn down and rebuilt by students... either to the point of melting down or refurbishing for Militia use. I'm trying to see how to integrate this idea into the rules set.
================
Do maintenance rules, degradation, mothballing, etc apply to ammunition stores? Is a case of Streak-SRMs found in a lostech cache useable, do they need to be refurbished first, or are they only good for taking apart and trying to reverse-engineer them?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 01 October 2012, 22:02:29 by Xotl »
Freeborn and proud~

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Researching) Maintenance, mothballs, and tech experience teams
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2012, 22:01:28 »
So it takes regular maintenance to keep up equipment in operational shape, I assume to keep laser focusing disks in alignment, magnetic coils from wobbling out of alignment, myomer bundles from breaking down, etc... so if you kept a mech or a PPC in a storage warehouse you would still need maintenance as normal, unless you went through the process of mothballing it, quaiff?

Yes.

Salvage is automatically the lowest grade of equipment "quality", but does this mean if I OSK a clan Dire Wolf's head, the undamaged salvage I get (weapons, heat-sinks, etc) will suddenly be considered Salvage quality? On this I am confused.

Yes.  The systems were still designed for and fitted to another mech, and were still subjected to whatever was fried when the cockpit was capped.

Someone can refurbish a part to attempt to increase it's quality level by one level. This includes replacing old parts of the item, ranging from power cables to feed belts to bolts and screws. Someone can do this up to F quality.

Does this mean that I can take a junked 3rd SS-War era SRM-2, disassemble it and refurbish it to a higher quality, then take it apart and put it back together again another time to raise it yet hire, etc until it is F-class?

Or, as seems more sensible to me, I can take it apart and rebuild the worn out parts, then roll on my technician skill to see what level the reassembled part falls into?

Only one refurbishment, moving the unit up one Quality Rating.  I'll make sure a clarifying note is added explaining this.

Do maintenance rules, degradation, mothballing, etc apply to ammunition stores? Is a case of Streak-SRMs found in a lostech cache useable, do they need to be refurbished first, or are they only good for taking apart and trying to reverse-engineer them?

Whatever works for your game (a GM might decide that ammo pulled from an ancient Star League cache might need it, or it just might be of a lower quality), but officially, no, ammo does not require maintenance.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0