Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Manei Domini and Battle Armor  (Read 15536 times)

sillybrit

• Major
Manei Domini - Jihad Hot Spots 3072 cover

Although the 'Mech jockeys and their neurohelmets may say otherwise, I always considered Battle Armor to be the epitome of man-machine integration in the BattleTech universe, but then along came the Master and his horde of fanatics. Much to the joy of street sammie fans who've crossed over from Shadowrun, with the Manei Domini we finally got useful - and it must be said, powerful - cybernetics that enhance the performance of Mechwarriors down to infantrymen, including the saintly and studly Battle Armor troopers.

Simple rules for Manei Domini were first introduced in Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, granting every augmented Battle Armor trooper an extra point of "armor" and the ability to link to a C3I network. Those rules do not allow for any customization, nor do they add any BV cost, and so shouldn't really be used when Jihad Hot Spots 3072 is available to provide the full rules for Manei Domini.

I won't go into all the minutae of Manei Domini, instead this article will only consist of a general overview and discussion of the specific cyberware that can combine with Battle Armor, and for further detail you should read Jihad Hot Spots 3072. One issue to consider with Battle Armor is that not all the troopers in a unit need to be Manei Domini for the unit to enjoy the benefits of certain cyberware. In cases where the cyberware effects isn't tracked on an individual level or requires the entire unit to be equipped, only two-thirds of the troopers need have the required implants. Note that as a unit takes damage the effects of cyberware remain unchanged, so do not worry about tracking which troopers are killed.

As the saying goes there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and the cyberware can come with a hefty cost, with a multiplier applied to the Battle Armor unit's Battle Value. Every implant comes with a level to represent the complexity and effectiveness of the cyberware, and it is this level that is used to calculate the BV multiplier. The formula for the multiplier is 0.75 plus the highest implant level divided by 4, and with a maximum level of 5 this means that an appropriately equipped Battle Armor unit can double its BV cost, although a multiplier of 1.5 or 1.75 is more typical.

Not all Manei Domini are equal, and depending upon their experience rating there are limits as to how many implants they may have and the maximum level of those implants. Jihad Hot Spots 3072 associates each Manei Domini grade with a Word of Blake rank, such as those rated Omnicron being ranked as Precentor, but there are examples of Manei Domini with different ranks than their cyberware rating would imply. Only those Manei Domini rated as Omnicron may be implanted with level 5 cyberware, while level 4 requires the recipient to be at least a Tau rating, with Omega grade limited to level 3 or lower. All Manei Domini can be implanted with level 2 hardware, the minimum level that is effective in the BattleTech tactical game.

Manei Domini are also grouped into distinct classes, with each intended for a specific role. Technically any class can be a Battle Armor trooper provided that they have the required skills and physical characteristics, but many will be from the Banshee or Zombie classes, intended primarily for defense and assault respectively.

The various types of cyberware that can effect Battle Armor usage in the BattleTech tactical game will now be described, starting with the only implant that requires the entire unit to be so equipped, that somewhat ironically is perhaps the least useful for the majority of scenarios.

Filtration Lung Implants (Level 3): As the name suggests, these implants filter the air the trooper breathes, thus protecting the trooper from the effects of Tainted and Toxic atmospheres (see Tactical Operations p56) and chemical weapons. Given that most Battle Armor are environmentally sealed, this implant is only of any use when the trooper is wearing unsealed Exoskeletons or when damage is taken in Toxic atmospheres. For unsealed suits, the extra damage from Tainted/Poisonous atmospheres and the effects of non-lethal gas weapons such as tear gas (see Tactical Operations p372) can be ignored. Only half damage is suffered from Caustic, Radioactive or Flammable Tainted atmospheres and Toxic atmospheres are treated as if they're only Tainted, while lethal chemical attacks are treated as a Tainted/Poisonous atmosphere. While useful in the right circumstances, those circumstances are unlikely to be encountered in the majority of scenarios, so this in an implant that you can usually safely forget about.

Maelwys: This is kind of an interesting implant, even in sealed Battle Armor. The Filtration Implant lets you act as if the Toxic atmosphere is only Tainted, and the majority of Tainted atmospheres don't have penalties for sealed BA. So while your opponent is rolling for to see if a suit dies each time he takes a hit, you're acting as if everything is normal.

The next two implants provide bonuses on a per suit basis, requiring neither the two-thirds threshold nor that all troopers be so equipped. Both are considered full-body modifications and require at least a Tau-rated senior grade Adept, which can be considered among the elite of the already elite Manei Domini. Interestingly, Jihad Hot Spots 3072 mentions that these implants are also used by "special field operatives in certain Inner Sphere intelligence agencies", which means that there could be Rabid Foxes sneaking around in Infiltrator Mk IIs or Death Commandos in Fa Shihs, for example, that also enjoy the benefits of this hardware.

Myomer Full-Body Implants/Dermal Myomer Armor (Level 4): This is a simple enhancement that allows the trooper to withstand an extra point of damage before dying. Dermal Myomer Armor can be incredibly useful for many Battle Armor designs, enabling them to survive weapons that would otherwise destroy the suit and its trooper. For example, if a Manei Domini with the armor implant happened to be using an IS Standard, they would be able to survive a PPC hit that would normally be a killing shot. To track which troopers in a unit are effected by Dermal Myomer Armor just mark the record sheet in some way to highlight the appropriate suits.

Myomer Full-Body Implants/Triple-Strength Myomers (Level 4): A more offensive-minded implant, this one inflicts +1 damage point per suit at range 0, including Anti-'Mech and anti-infantry attacks. So a unit with three Triple-Strength Myomer implanted troopers will get a three point damage boost. Given that the implant rules don't say anything to the contrary it should be assumed that the suit must still capable of the appropriate attack when enhancing melee attacks, so only Medium or lighter suits with the appropriate manipulators can make Anti-'Mech attacks, while only those with Vibro-Claws can make anti-infantry attacks. Any damage boost is nice, but given that Anti-'Mech attacks primarily rely upon the critical hit check that they generate, some players may prefer to select another enhancement if having to chose between the Triple-Strength Myomers and another.

All the remaining implants require that at least two-thirds of the unit are equipped with the implant for there to be any effect.

Pain Shunt (Level 2): Another simple implant, units with enough Pain Shunts suffer only half damage from fire-based weapons. Although not explicitly stated, this presumably means that it would require six Infernos to kill a suit rather than the standard three.

Multi-Modal Cybernetic Eye or Ear Implants (Level 3): To provide any benefit for Battle Armor units, these implants have to be combined with one of the Vehicular Direct Neural Interface implants and/or either the standard and Boosted Transmitter, Receiver or Communications Implants noted below. When combined with VDNI, this gives the unit the equivilant of a 2-hex Active Probe and in the case of suits already equipped with an Active Probe, the range is increased by one hex. The effect when combined with standard and Boosted Transmitter, Receiver or Communications Implants is detailed below.

Enhanced Multi-Modal Cybernetic Eye or Ear Implants (Level 5): These have an identical effect as the Multi-Modal Cybernetic Eye or Ear Implants noted above, except that if the Battle Armor is already equipped with an Active Probe, the range is increased by two hexes.

Transmitter, Receiver or Communications Implants (Level 2): When the trooper is also equipped with at least one standard or Enhanced Multi-Modal Cybernetic Eye or Ear Implant, the combination provides a one-time +1 Initiative bonus. This bonus doesn't stack, so even if the Manei Domini force has multiple units with this cyberware effect only a single bonus applies.

Boosted Transmitter, Receiver or Communications Implants (Level 4): These are enhanced versions of the above communication implants, and not only provide the same Initiative bonus when combined with a sensory implant, but also act as a C3I node.

Vehicular Direct Neural Interface (Level 3): This implant provides a -1 modifier to Gunnery and Piloting rolls, with the Piloting skill the equivilant of the Anti-'Mech skill. Because Battle Armor have no "internal structure" as such, normally any hit that penetrates the armor kills the trooper, so the negative effects of VDNI do not need to be considered. Arguably, an exception to this is when the VDNI is combined with Dermal Myomer Armor, which effectively adds a second point of "internal structure". Assuming you use this interpretation, then in this case even a single point of damage penetrating the Battle Armor can still kill the trooper on a 8+ unless also implanted with a Pain Shunt, but it's best to make sure all players at the table are going to accept that.

Buffered Vehicular Direct Neural Interface (Level 5): Although an enhanced version of the the basic VDNI system, this implant is somewhat less effective for Battle Armor, providing only a Gunnery modifier, although it does avoid the need of a Pain Shunt to avoid the damage effect noted under the basic VDNI entry.

Once a Manei Domini reaches Tau rating, they can be implanted with five systems up to Level 4, which presents a slightly tricky dilemma given that there are six worthwhile implants available, and for the Wraith (infiltration) and Zombie (assault) classes they must have an implant that's not among those six. Assuming one of the other Manei Domini classes, I would suggest that the sensor and Boosted communication implants should always be chosen given that you receive multiple benefits from the synergy of the two implants. The skill boost provided by VDNI is so useful that it's also all but mandatory in my opinion, even without the Active Probe effect provided by combining it with the sensors, so arguably the only question is which pair to take between the Pain Shunt and the two Myomer Full-Body Implants. Personally, I'd opt for the Pain Shunt and Dermal Myomer Armor, preferring the extra survivability over inflicting more damage at point blank range.

At the heady heights of Delta-rated Manei Domini this issue is no longer a problem for the Semi-Precentors who achieve this seniority. Able to implant up to seven cybernetic systems, even Wraiths and Zombies can get all the worthwhile upgrades, missing out only on the somewhat dubious value of the Filtration Lung Implants, while the other classes could also squeeze the filters in alongside the more useful hardware.

Despite all the abilities of these impressive implants, the effectiveness of Manei Domini Battle Armor units still depends heavily upon the suits themselves. The cyberware is just a force multiplier rather than being a dominant factor by itself, and while powerful, it's perhaps lucky for the Inner Sphere that ultimately they're still just Battle Armor and thus of limited strength when compared to other battlefield units.

Next up:
  • Shedu
  • Tengu
  • Nephilim
  • Se'irim

ADDENDUM: My apologies for a very much delayed return to Battle Armor of the Week; unfortunately my laptop died plus I had a family emergency. For the Demon series of articles, we have a guest reviewer to assist me alongside jymset, with Maelwys providing his much appreciated experience and observations regarding the Blakists and Manei Domini with respect to Battle Armor operations. This week's articles are slightly different from what I'd originally intended to post, but I lost those originals when my hard drive crashed, so my apologies to jymset and Maelwys if my reconstructions don't cover every comment they raised.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Manei Domini and Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2012, 19:04:51 »
The Lung implants may not ever be needed and are likely over priced, TacOps. pg 272 in the Tear Gas SRM rules, third dot point say that you can state that infantry (Conventional or BA) start the game air supply or filters

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2012, 06:09:17 »
Its possible we're looking at legacy rule as well. I think the MD rules from 3072 were published before TacOps, so the filters may not have been around yet.

Still, if all that's needed to get the same result is saying "My unit is equipped with filters" then that might move the lung filtration system more towards an RPG choice than a TW choice.

And I think that sort of sums up the potential issue with the rules for Manei Domini in JHS3072. There are so many ways to equip a MD that their effect on the battlefield may be completely different, yet they're going to have the same BV modifier. Good for keeping things simple perhaps, not so good if you're paying out the nose for a minor upgrade.

Vehicular Direct Neural Interface (Level 3): This implant provides a -1 modifier to Gunnery and Piloting rolls, with the Piloting skill the equivilant of the Anti-'Mech skill. Because Battle Armor have no "internal structure" as such, normally any hit that penetrates the armor kills the trooper, so the negative effects of VDNI do not need to be considered. Arguably, an exception to this is when the VDNI is combined with Dermal Myomer Armor, which effectively adds a second point of "internal structure". Assuming you use this interpretation, then in this case even a single point of damage penetrating the Battle Armor can still kill the trooper on a 8+ unless also implanted with a Pain Shunt, but it's best to make sure all players at the table are going to accept that.

I'm not really sold on this interpretation. I've never seen the pilot inside referred to as "Internal structure" whereas vehicles and `Mechs have clearly defined Internal Structure. I think its a bit of a stretch to include them as such, but talking it out with your opponent when you let them know you're using MD is rarely a bad thing.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2012, 10:41:14 »
Maybe the MD rules will get an update in IO.
While the levels could be applicable to 3072, in the mid- or late-Jihad some higher levels would be dispersed to the lower ranks, making Dermal armor etc. equipped (MD)BA troopers more numerous.

IMHO the point system for MD enhancements was too simplified and do not count for several upgrades. Four level 2 upgrades are cheaper than one level 3.
A simple table with some BV modifiers, to be summed up, would be more usable. E.g. VDNI w/ Pain Shunt (+45%), VDNI w/o Pain Shunt (+30%), Dermal Armor (25% per unit or +5 per trooper) and so on.

BTW, nice write-up!  O0
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2012, 14:14:44 »
I think that would've been a little too complicated :) But I do understand the point. A MD with VDNI is going to cost the same as a MD with VDNI and a Pain Shunt, despite performing differently. Its an okay system, but players should be aware of the potential drawbacks when building forces.

The Jihad Secret rules are much simpler and apply evenly across all units of the same type. +1 armor (basically) and a c3i link are nice. You don't get the nifty things like a VDNI (which I'm pretty sure gets you +1 to your Anti-Mech skill) and the active probe, but atleast you know what to expect (even if the c3i linkage is questionable later on in the Jihad).

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2012, 03:58:21 »
I think that would've been a little too complicated :)
Hm, a table with four colums (mech/ASF w/ small cockpit, mech/ASF/vehicle, BA, infantry).
Cost me only a few hours of finetunig, but is more dependable as the (too) simplified system.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2012, 10:35:58 »
GhostBear mentioned on his blog that updated cybernetics rules were written for Total Chaos, but they decided to put them in Interstellar Operations instead. I have now gone from total indifference to IO to joining the "Is it out yet? Is it out yet?" crowd.  :))

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2012, 12:55:03 »
I think a big part of the rational is that Manei Domini aren't really meant as regular use, pick up game "ballanced force" type units, but rather as specal ocasion, scare your pants off, over the top, unballanced super units.  BA with C3i links, that can take and do more damage, that miss less often, that can survive a lot of the nasty specal tricks that they them selves can and will be pulling on you?  Best just to trust the players or the GMs to eye ball it, and "ballance" as appropreate for the senerio.

But, on the whole, especaly given that even the basic MD suits are pretty nice just with frails in them, its definatly a nasty thing to have to put down, if they're used with a bit of skill and cleverness.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2012, 13:37:19 »
I think a big part of the rational is that Manei Domini aren't really meant as regular use, pick up game "ballanced force" type units, but rather as specal ocasion, scare your pants off, over the top, unballanced super units.

Well, I think that particular genie is out of the bottle now. The MD are out there -- to the extent that we have rules for them --, and now players will of course shamelessly use and abuse them in their own games in any way they see fit...without even so much as asking for Catalyst Games's official approval first!

What a shocker. :D

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2012, 16:11:17 »
I think a big part of the rational is that Manei Domini aren't really meant as regular use, pick up game "ballanced force" type units, but rather as specal ocasion, scare your pants off, over the top, unballanced super units.  BA with C3i links, that can take and do more damage, that miss less often, that can survive a lot of the nasty specal tricks that they them selves can and will be pulling on you?  Best just to trust the players or the GMs to eye ball it, and "ballance" as appropreate for the senerio.
The same thing was probably said about the Clans twenty-two years ago.

Hah, the more things change...

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2012, 10:35:55 »
Maybe.  But, Clan tech is Clan tech, and its comperitively stright forward relitive to MD tech.  They all have it, and it all works the same way.  That makes it relitively easy to ballance ("its twice as good ton for ton" or "its 12/5ths as good").  The Clans also had a strict code of honor that helped ballance things, in contrast to the MD's strict code of honor, that inspires them to comit atrocities in the name of purifying the galaxy and helps to further unballance them.

I'd say they're more akin to nukes, or orbital bombardment, or other such things in that as with thouse, while they exist in universe and there are rules for them, again arn't really ballanced.  They just get used when they get used.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2012, 13:45:59 »
But now that they've got in-game rules, they need to have good, proper points cost balancing their use by players who want to play them. After all, not everyone likes to play the heroes struggling against all odds; some people want to play cybered-up monsters who want nothing more than to watch the world burn.

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2012, 10:18:15 »
But now that they've got in-game rules, they need to have good, proper points cost balancing their use by players who want to play them. After all, not everyone likes to play the heroes struggling against all odds; some people want to play cybered-up monsters who want nothing more than to watch the world burn.

That would be me!  >:D

Though for the new Battletech campaign I'm trying to start with a friend, I'm considering just playing with pilots with strong Piloting skills (to overcome the small cockpit penalty for Celestials) and skipping the rest of the cybernetics stuff until Interstellar Operations comes out.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2012, 04:23:44 »
Why the hell did it take me four weeks to find this topic?
I've been looking everyday, must have hit a total blindspot.

What will be the actual chances of finding some of that stuff on the black market?
There must be a few dead guys lying around...
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2012, 05:05:26 »
None, nobody dumb enough to try and sell it, plus didn't you hear, the Regulans carpet bombed every planet hosting MD they could find with nukes

The Canopians still have cyber troops, but I don't think they export

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2012, 07:26:39 »
On the black market, not too likely. Manei Domini implants are equipped with self-destruct mechanisms that can be triggered in a variety of ways, including death of the operative. Finding one whose implants failed to go off, and whose implants were in working condition after whatever killed the MD, is going to be tough.

Of course, since its a game, anything's possible.

You also have other options. Only a few of the implants were MD specific, such as the VDNI and BVDNI. The various armor implants were available to the Capellans and Canopians for example, so you might be able to find implants from those nations on the black market. I really hate to suggest to anyone that they open the book "Guide to Covert Ops" but inside you can find implants that would be more commonly available to the other factions.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2012, 04:18:55 »
Thats actually a good hint, in a way. I might pick that up.
Though what I personally would like, and am sure it doesn't exist yet in battletech, would be an internal armor system.
Like, reinforced structure for troopers, with blood sluices to just dispose of damaged limbs.
Just like I would build my mechs.^^ Though I guess there's no room for psychological warfare in the TT.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Shigure

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2015, 12:52:26 »

Bit of a thread necro but what with IO Beta out I felt I needed to see what people thought about the change in augmented trooper costs included within. These can be found on pg.192 of the beta document.
"As far as tactics are concerned, in situations like this, I personally recommend cheating." - M.Wright paraphrasing Capellan Combat Tactic #1

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2015, 13:54:42 »
Bit of a thread necro but what with IO Beta out I felt I needed to see what people thought about the change in augmented trooper costs included within. These can be found on pg.192 of the beta document.
Well I hope someone picks up the phone, because look who has two thumbs and ****** CALLED IT! This guy!

...In all seriousness and desire to contribute, I must admit that I can't find the beta chapter in question. I found several chapters, but that one eludes me. Am I just derpin'?

Shigure

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2015, 14:12:53 »

...In all seriousness and desire to contribute, I must admit that I can't find the beta chapter in question. I found several chapters, but that one eludes me. Am I just derpin'?

Augmented Warriors (all eras) is what you're looking for along with the BV modifiers on pg 192
"As far as tactics are concerned, in situations like this, I personally recommend cheating." - M.Wright paraphrasing Capellan Combat Tactic #1

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2015, 15:41:32 »
Quick Question: How much of this stuff should the Society have access to? I mean they where big on using stuff the Warrior's refused, so it makes sense they'd experiment with cyberware

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2015, 17:19:23 »
Well, we know Clans have access to cybernetics. The main issue would be if they have access to combat cybernetics. They're probably not going to have acesss to the exotic stuff developed in the 3050's and 60's, unless the Clan's intelligence agencies are much better than they've been given credit for.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 24 December 2015, 18:20:38 »
According to IOps, pg 116, Hells Horses started R&D in 3082.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 27 December 2015, 19:38:05 »
So it was either thru salvage of a WoB data base they came across or the Watch found it. 

I don't think the Society ever salvaged/developed anything like that, never mind had any direct connection with the Manei Domini.  They or anything Clan were target number 1 by the WoB anyways.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 27 December 2015, 19:50:27 »
I think you're forgetting that the Clans themselves were the first to experiment with Interface tech - it made its first debut in the 3050s with Protomechs from the Smoke Jaguars, using EI.

I'm reasonably sure that the Word's advances in VDNI were a direct result of studying captured Smoke Jaguar Protos after Bulldog and Serpent.  The Hell's Horses' pursuit of the subject follows easily from applying Protomech design concepts to larger 'Mechs, but would be of particular interest to their QuadVee program.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 28 December 2015, 00:36:19 »
Here's the timeline as I know it.

Pre Invasion: Clan Enhanced Imaging

Unbound (Apx 3053): DNI

Unknown: MD VDNI

Apx 3060: Protomech Enhanced Imaging

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 28 December 2015, 12:22:07 »
The Jaguars were destroyed 3059-3060, and fielded Protomechs before their destruction (which requires Enhanced Imaging).  The Harpy, the first Protomech put into production, has a production date of 3057.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 28 December 2015, 14:19:46 »
I think you're forgetting that the Clans themselves were the first to experiment with Interface tech - it made its first debut in the 3050s with Protomechs from the Smoke Jaguars, using EI.

I'm reasonably sure that the Word's advances in VDNI were a direct result of studying captured Smoke Jaguar Protos after Bulldog and Serpent.  The Hell's Horses' pursuit of the subject follows easily from applying Protomech design concepts to larger 'Mechs, but would be of particular interest to their QuadVee program.

That's possible, but ROM got a hold of Dr. Kane's DNI research post Unbound, and a lot of the background kind of points to that being WOB's jumping off point for VDNI, though salvaged EI might have given some hints.

Register