Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars  (Read 485749 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars
« Reply #1350 on: 26 August 2016, 15:16:33 »
The Alternate Reality shows that the SLDF had sufficient commanders and troops in good shape to preserve the Hegemony, so that holds true in the main timeline as well. 

The Exodus journey, execution of the mutineers on the Prinz Eugen, and sense of being stranded in the back end of beyond on marginal worlds can't have helped.  Being amidst trillions of their fellows on familiar ground would have helped some of the senior SLDF staff with issues work them out.

The LCAF got suckered by Combine mercs pretending to be RWR patriots, and denuded their Combine border to go fight off what they thought was another Republican resurgence.  The AFFS wasn't well equipped for a defensive campaign, because of the flaws in their Military Region structure.  That wouldn't apply to an offensive campaign.  With Hegemony support to form a common front, the Combine wouldn't be able to make a significant offensive move.

Bastardy hasn't stopped other Houses.  The Von Rohrs are descended from a bastard sired with a stablehand, and another illegitimate Kurita descendant was required to get the Kurita dynasty going again.  Sure, nobody much liked Richard, but if you can put a genetic test result forward and frame it as "Simon Cameron's granddaughter," you'd get a certain level of support from the get go.  Marie Davion was born on the wrong side of the sheets, and yet her husband was Hanse's heir until such time as Hanse had his own kids.

Jessica doesn't need Kerensky to play regent.  She's been running with the Moscow resistance for years (the first time we see her, she has someone else's blood on her face) and is tight with Nicholas, who has plans of his own.  Plus, the SLDF officer sent in to save Kerensky's family has already "adopted" her and given her identity cover.  She's got support from the SLDF, at least.  To a great extent, they were fighting for House Cameron.  The news that one survived, even if her ancestry is a trifle tainted, would go far.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1351 on: 26 August 2016, 19:35:17 »
The alternate reality is an alternate reality for a reason; it assumes or changes a number of things in order to make said AU a viable occurrence.  If it were not an AU, it'd be full of retcons by the dozen or hundred.  Using it, even its background which is treated as similar to the 'prime' events of the same period, is foolishly misguided at best and disingenuous at worst.

I'm growing to really dislike that product, if only because of the ammunition it provided to the group that thinks everything bad that happened after 2780 can be laid directly at the feet of Alexsandr Kerensky.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #1352 on: 29 August 2016, 01:28:03 »
Regarding Adept Spelvin, I thought you might find this interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Spelvin

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1353 on: 29 August 2016, 05:54:58 »
Regarding Adept Spelvin, I thought you might find this interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Spelvin

Very interesting.  If "George Spelvin" was a pseudonym, I wonder what the chances are that Thomas Marik was involved in writing the report on the alliance his ancestor helped found?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1354 on: 02 September 2016, 09:51:37 »
Date: May 5, 3026

Title: Proprietary

Author: Stephan A. Frabartolo

Type: Short Story (BattleCorps)

Synopsis: Meeting covertly at Galaport, Mister Johnson and Mister Ling review a crate containing a prototype heat sink from a secret Federated Suns lab, recovered after the Black Widows sacked the Hoff research facility. 

Johnson notes that the Federated Suns lacks the resources to mass produce the "freezer" heat sinks, and has contracted with Lyran producers to make them.  He suggests that he could provide Mister Ling with a supply, for a very high price.  Johnson justifies the sale to Ling, a Capellan agent, on the grounds that the Capellans routinely battle the Free Worlds League and, as the League is a bitter foe of the Lyrans, the enemy of his enemy is his friend.

Notes:  This covert meeting is linked to an inconsistency created by several of the early scenario packs.  In the Tales of the Black Widow scenarios on Hoff, Natasha and company face off against a Super Wasp and Super Griffin equipped with prototype double heat sinks.  However, these were not in wide distribution with the FedCom during the 4th Succession War.  In fact, the only scenario that featured them was in a 4th Succession War BattlePack scenario that put them on a Capellan 'Mech. 

This covert meeting on Galatea replaces the "Huh?" with "Aha!".

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1355 on: 02 September 2016, 10:21:11 »
Date: May, 3026

Title: Revenge on Griez

Author: Peter Fokos

Type: Encounter (MechWarrior I)

Synopsis:  With Kangaroo Jack assassinated by Grim Jim and Jim himself not being too talkative, on account of being dead, Gideon has only Kearny's lead on Wolf's Dragoons being the culprits.  He asks his contact on Ander's Moon, Jordan Rowe, for information on their current whereabouts, and then takes a detour to take care of some long delayed payback.

Smuggler Grig Griez has now tried to have Gideon killed at least twice (three times if the shooting in the FWL was his doing), so Gideon journeys to Delacruz.  En route, he gets a message from Rowe about the Widows' location - Misery.

On the Combine world of Delacruz, Gideon is approached by a drunk who offers to help him confront Grig Griez when he oversees an outbound smuggling shipment that night.

Gideon lies in wait at the edge of a disused military DropPort until night falls, and sees Griez arrive with two bodyguards.  Gideon uses his gyroslug carbine to take out the bodyguards.  Griez first denies responsibility for the assassination attempts, then tries to bribe Gideon, and finally tries to shoot him with his dead guard's machine pistol.  Gideon ends the crime boss with two shots, then takes the body to the local Civilian Guidance Corps office to claim the bounty.

Notes:  Just how recognizable a figure is Gideon?  The story text indicates he's just walking down a street when the drunk wearing an eyepatch calls out and indicates he knows all about Gideon.  This raises a number of questions:

1) How was a drunk with one eye able to recognize Gideon?

2) How was the drunk so well informed about Mr. Griez's smuggling operations and arrival times?  Yes, he used to work for Griez, but that was years ago.

3) If Gideon was so conspicuous on Delacruz, and the Civilian Guidance Corps was being paid off, why didn't any candystripers see Gideon and introduce him to the business end of a combat shotgun?  They'd be fully justified, after all, since he's a citizen (and potential ducal heir) of an enemy state during a time of war.

It was probably just lazy writing, but one might suspect that one of Griez's lieutenants, perhaps even Mr. Brown from Dustball, used Gideon to bump off the boss and take control of the organization.  The "drunk with a sob story" may, in fact, have been an operative in Brown's employ.  Otherwise, the random drunk who just happens to know everything needed to serve the plot smacks of contrivance.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1356 on: 02 September 2016, 14:08:22 »
This encounter - Grig Griez meeting his end at the hand of Gideon Braver and Gideon then even collecting the bounty on Griez's head - is purely optional. It doesn't have to be played to finish the game, and as such may or may not have happened (even when you assume the core points of the plot happened, this isn't a core point).

Also, the scene does (iirc) play out at any point in time when Gideon returns to wherever the game randomly placed Griez's hideout, so neither the time nor the place are easily determined.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1357 on: 02 September 2016, 14:23:08 »
As I stated previously, the locations assigned are based on what took place in the YouTube "Let's Play" I got the text from, unless a canon source suggests a better alternative, and the dates are based on standard transit times between those locations. 

As Frabby notes, anyone seeking canon information from the MechWarrior I game should be aware that key details are randomized each playthrough.  The presence of the Civilian Guidance Corps, however, requires it to be a Combine world.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1358 on: 07 September 2016, 23:12:21 »
the Federated Suns has a network of recharge stations in uninhabited worlds to help troops reinforce neighboring PDZs without using major commercial jump points. 

Actually got a slight question. Where was this from?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1359 on: 08 September 2016, 04:30:45 »

Field Manual: Federated Suns

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1360 on: 08 September 2016, 07:51:22 »
Field Manual: Federated Suns

Really? I can't seem to find it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1361 on: 08 September 2016, 11:46:55 »
I'm pretty sure it's in there.  Or perhaps Handbook: House Davion.  One other potential source is the FM:Mercs entry on the Wild Geese.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1362 on: 08 September 2016, 19:39:55 »

Found it.  FedCom Civil War, p. 155.  "...though not secret, it is uncommon knowledge that centuries ago the Federated Suns set up recharge stations in systems directly connecting regional capitals and other significant systems."

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1363 on: 08 September 2016, 20:49:49 »
Found it.  FedCom Civil War, p. 155.  "...though not secret, it is uncommon knowledge that centuries ago the Federated Suns set up recharge stations in systems directly connecting regional capitals and other significant systems."

Found it. So thats in reference to a "Loyalist" unit jumping through one such system from Tikonov to Marlette. Something like 50 odd LYs between the two...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1364 on: 08 September 2016, 22:36:30 »
It would suck to be assign to that duty station.  In deep space, possibly no habital worlds
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1365 on: 09 September 2016, 04:44:16 »
It would suck to be assign to that duty station.  In deep space, possibly no habital worlds

Given its a recharge station, it probably has a decent grav-deck at least.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1366 on: 09 September 2016, 07:19:16 »
This is probably why the crews in "The Sword and the Dagger" were so eager to break regs and help Ardan - everything else in their tour of duty would just be routine cargo transfer and troopships coming through.  Facilitating a hijacked ship's passage to save the First Prince is more action than the stations at Ral, Hamlin, or New Cleveland usually get.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1367 on: 09 September 2016, 13:59:36 »
Date: April 12, 3026

Title: The Ozawa Campaign - Day of the Dragon

Author:  Dale L. Kemper, Blaine Lee Pardoe, Anthony Pryor, and John Theison

Type: Scenario (Sorenson’s Sabres)

Synopsis:  In 3026, Palmer Conti sought to advance his political fortunes with an assault on the Federated Suns world of Ozawa.  Far from a sneak attack, the Federated Suns noted the build-up of DCMS forces on Markab, across the border, but AFFS reinforcements were delayed, and the planetary government went on the record as hoping for a negotiated truce that would spare them an invasion.

This was not to be, and Conti’s 5th Sword of Light spearheaded the invasion in April 3026, hoping to isolate the Saffel “Draconis March Sector” (aka the Addicks PDZ) from the rest of the Federated Suns.  The 5th targeted the Farow Junction urban center, battling Ozawa Urban Defense Brigade forces under General Lyle Harker.

The 5th used its superior firepower to occupy large sections of the city in the first day of the invasion, killing Governor John Seaforth in the process. 

The scenario pits the full Sorenson’s Sabres company against Lt. Sandra Drake’s Urban Defense Lance and Lt. Alan Thorgil’s Assault Lance, plus 2 AC/20 turrets, in a dense urban sector containing 8 light buildings, 20 medium buildings, 20 heavy buildings, and 12 hardened buildings.   The two sides are fighting for control of an industrial sector in the city’s northern sector.

Garrison forces:  Phoenix Hawk, 3 UrbanMechs, Stalker, Warhammer, Griffin, 2 turrets
Attacking forces:  Marauder, Warhammer, Samurai fighter, Phoenix Hawk, Longbow, Rifleman, Trebuchet, Stinger, Archer, Phoenix Hawk LAM, Hermes III, and Wasp.

The Sabres score 1 point for each Light ‘Mech they destroy, 2 for each Medium or gun emplacement, 3 for each Heavy or Assault.  There is a 10 turn time limit.  The Sabres need to score at least 10 points to win.  If not destroyed, the gun turrets are considered captured, and can be used in the next scenario.

Notes:  There’s some definite early installment weirdness going on here.  Per “FedCom Civil War,” the Federated Suns had chains of recharge stations in uninhabited systems between major worlds to allow covert redeployment of troops and keep region supplied even if major inhabited systems were blockaded.  Taking Ozawa would have just made the AFFS use those networks.  Plus, this was apparently written before Addicks had been identified as the PDZ HQ, and before the term ‘polymorphous defense zone’ (PDZ) had been coined.

Likewise, a lot of products that came out in 1986-1987 suggested that peace was the default status, and that many officials restrained themselves from taking actions that could lead to renewed warfare.   Governor Seaforth’s statement that he hopes for a “negotiated settlement” with the Combine seems a bit misplaced, given that Ozawa is only two jumps from Kentares IV.  This speaks to the attitude of exhaustion at the end of the Third Succession War.  The people of the Federated Suns no longer thought of themselves as one united nation (attack one of us, you attack all of us), but rather as autonomous members of an umbrella organization that provides mutual defense via the AFFS.  With the massive-scale full-front wars of the 1st and 2nd Succession Wars long over, the low-level raiding of the 3rd allowed worlds that hadn’t been attacked recently to consider themselves “at peace,” and to take steps to keep the central government or regional military commanders from doing anything to stir up trouble.  The presence of 'Mechs suggests that it is common for planetary garrisons to field them circa 3025, despite the description in the House Davion book that describes Planetary Guard Units as little more than local infantry used as scouts for heavier offworld forces.

The scoring system rewards the Davion forces for avoiding contact entirely.  I’d recommend that the Davion forces hole up inside hardened buildings and force the 5th to dig them out.  There’s not much room to run (this is a one-map scenario), but you can use the buildings for cover and use the jump jets to put the UrbanMechs, Griffin, and P-Hawk out of contact with the Sworders as much as possible.  You aren’t focusing on getting kills – just keeping your skins intact.  Keep the Stalker and Warhammer with the turrets to punish any Dracs that go for them, but don’t be afraid to pull back if you face overwhelming force.

The Sworders, on the other hand, are trying for as many kills as possible.  The preponderance of LRMs on the Sabres’ roster (they can put over 100 missiles in the air each turn) lends itself to having all the LRM-equipped units park themselves in one location and use the fast units (like the LAM) as spotters.  If the LAM gets a good vantage point, the turrets and other slow-movers could even be bombarded with no ability to respond.  If the initiative is with you, the UrbanMech trick of hopping one street over for cover won’t help, with the Samurai strafing and the LAM, Wasp, Stinger, and Phoenix Hawk keeping up with them.  Don’t expose yourself too much, though, since that will leave you weakened in the follow-up scenarios.  Armor and ammo will be replaced, but lost limbs and internal crits won’t be fixed, so pull back any unit that starts to get thin on armor, and ensure that nobody goes off alone (the wingmen can cover the retreat of the damaged unit).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1368 on: 09 September 2016, 14:29:08 »
Date: April 22, 3026

Title: The Ozawa Campaign - Swift Vengeance

Synopsis:  Ten days after the initial Combine landings on Ozawa, the 3rd Crucis Lancers landed and counterattacked.  Though initially successful, their advance stalled until the surviving militia forces, which had fallen back to the hills to conduct guerilla strikes, hit the Combine occupation zone and cut many of their forces off from the main body.

The Sabres defend the northern industrial area, with fresh armor and ammo, but retain any critical hits or missing limbs from the first scenario. 

The 3rd Crucis Lancers bring the following:  Stalker, Warhammer, 2 Archers, Thunderbolt, Rifleman, Crusader, Wolverine, Locust, 2 Stingers, 2 Vedettes, 2 Hunters.  (If the Sabres got hammered in the first scenario, the tanks may be removed from the roster to balance the forces.)

Scoring is similar to the first scenario – rewarding the Sabres for how many kills they get by turn 8.  1 per tank, 2 per Light/Medium, 4 per Heavy/Assault.  They need at least 25 points to win.

Historically, the Sabres held the industrial zone, but territorial losses by other elements of the 5th left them in an untenable situation, forcing them to withdraw.

Notes:  More odd early terminology present in the writeup, which repeatedly uses the term “Federation” to refer to the AFFS units, rather than “Federated.” 

The Lancers are described as having surprised the Combine by executing a high-G approach to Ozawa from the jump point that reduced the transit time from days to hours.  Since the standard 1G transit time is 4.12 days, that would require at least a 4.3 G approach for about a day.  I think the surprise is that the AFFS troops were able to walk after a day at 4+ Gs, let alone fight.

The Sabres are in a tough position – if they want to win, they have to hunt down and destroy as 25 points worth of AFFS forces in just 8 turns, and to reach that number, they’ll need to bring down a number of Heavies and Assaults.  Their chances of doing so depend greatly on what the AFFS player does.

The optimal play for the AFFS side is to find a clearing (or make one by leveling buildings) and mass their forces there.  Sure, it invites strafing attacks, but the Samurai will likely just get one pass and then be flaming wreckage.  The AFFS force can then mass its firepower on any Sabre unit that wanders into the kill zone.  None should last long enough to do significant damage to any of the AFFS heavies, and those that do take severe damage can be rotated to the rear. 

If the AFFS force plays heavy defense, the Sabres don’t have much of a chance.  Since they deploy first, they can’t even arrange themselves in ambush formation inside hardened buildings.  (They can arrange themselves along the southern edge, where the AFFS forces enter, but that’s the long edge of the map, and it’s unlikely that the AFFS forces will just charge into any major troop concentrations.)  Perhaps use massed volleys of indirect LRMs aimed at the heavies to goad the AFFS player into charging the launchers’ position (covered by the AC/10 turrets, if you have them), but 8 turns isn’t very long, and they’ll be lucky to get one kill that way, let alone the six you need for victory.  Another option would be to charge in en masse, guns blazing, hoping to get enough kills before they go down, but this will doom you to absolute failure in the third scenario.  If the AFFS player turtles, the Sabres should just pull back and wait out the clock, angling for victory in the third round.

If the AFFS player moves to actively engage, the Sabres should use their superior mobility to get rear attacks – especially on the Rifleman, and strafe any columns moving along the streets. 
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 18:40:41 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1369 on: 09 September 2016, 15:04:12 »
Date: April 23, 3026

Title: The Ozawa Campaign - Lance and Sabre

Synopsis:  The Sabres are assigned as a rear guard force at the Charkai power station, in a strategic mountain pass, hoping to buy time for the main body of the 5th Sword of Light to embark on their DropShips and escape offworld.  The Crucis Lancers pursuers are led by Morrow’s Company, which arrives piecemeal.  Historically, the Sabres held their positions until sundown, then withdrew to their own ship and joined the 5th’s retreat to the jump point. 

The Sabres have all the units that survived the previous scenario, with all damage and ammunition expended the same.  (Another argument for forfeiting Scenario 2 and just withdrawing.)

The Lancers consist of :
Light Lance (arrives Turn 1): Blackjack, Ostscout, Stinger, Wasp
Medium Lance: (arrives turn 2): Ostroc, 2 Crusaders, 1 Phoenix Hawk
Heavy Lance: (arrives turn 4): Marauder, Rifleman, Catapult, Archer
Command Lance: (arrives turn 6): Warhammer, Thunderbolt, Whitworth

Every turn, a 2d6 roll checks for a withdrawal order (less than or equal to the current turn number).  The Combine gets 1 point for each Sabre ‘Mech that withdraws off the northern edge after the recall order, and loses 1 for each Lancer ‘Mech that exits off the northern edge before that. 

Notes:  This is a “breakthrough” scenario on two maps (connected on the short edge).  The Sabres set up on the southern map, and the withdrawal edge is at the top of the northern map. 

For the Sabres, I’d recommend setting up at the top of the southern map and immediately withdrawing at full speed to the hills along the northern edge.  It will be a couple turns before even the Light Lance units catch up, so you can turn and run, rather than walking backwards.  If you attempt to make a stand on the southern map, the jumping ‘Mechs will just soar over you and break for the edge.  (I’ve learned the hard way that it’s nearly impossible to stop jumping ‘Mechs in a breakthrough scenario).   Once you’re in position, turn and face the Lancers.  Mass fire on them as they approach (the Ostscout will probably get through, but you can swat the bugs).  Use terrain as cover to keep distant foes from targeting your forces.  Remember – you not only have to keep the Lancers out, but you have to have your units survive to withdraw, too. 

Statistically, the recall order is likely to come by turn 7.  The Light Lance can reach that by turn 4 (turn 3 in the case of the Ostscout, turn 6 for the Blackjack).  It’ll take most of the Medium lance until Turn 8 to reach the finish line, so (unless you’re unlucky), they aren’t likely to score any points.  Ditto the Heavy lance (Turn 10), and the Command Lance (Turn 12).  The only way they can influence the point score is by picking off exposed Sabres with long range weapons, so keep your troops behind hills or otherwise out of sight and ready to bolt at the first opportunity.  Go prone if there’s not enough Level 2 terrain around.  Once the recall order comes, stand and (having positioned yourself correctly) walk off to score points.  Mass fire on any bugs that get near, but it’s okay if they get past, since (hopefully) you have more than four ‘Mechs left after the first two scenarios.  If the Light Lance gets through, you can still win by walking  single ‘Mech off.

For the Lancers, this is a hard one to win if the Sabres set up a defensive line at the very northern edge.  Your slow units won’t be able to do much more than hope for a lucky PPC shot as they lumber towards the distant goal line.  Your lights can cross without much difficulty – they should race forward (making use of cover and maximized movement mods) to get past before the Sabres fully establish their defensive line.  They lack the firepower to put much of a dent in the Sabres.  (You may want to have the Ostscout stick around, though, to spot for your Heavy lance’s LRM boats – hoping to knock out some of the lighter Sabres and deny them points).  Ideally, the Sabres will form a forward defensive line among the structures at the power plant on the southern map, and you can send the scouts zipping past while your heavies have their way with the overconfident Sworders, dropping enough that the points swing in your favor because more of your ‘Mechs made it off than theirs.

The time scale’s a bit of an issue – the setup says the arrival was staggered, with the main unit arriving “later in the day” and the battle lasting a full day.  Standard BattleTech timescales put one turn at 10 seconds, so that’s not much of a “staggered” arrival (20 seconds).  (The main board game isn’t well suited to fighting out epic stands, due to the tactical timescale vs. the strategic/cinematic one).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1370 on: 09 September 2016, 15:47:26 »
Rough scenarios.  I wonder how different this be if they were using battlevalue or Points Value (for you Alpha Strikers).  I know there over arch story of main event already happened, your force needs succeed in least safeguarding things.  These forces are really out wack.

The Ozawa Campaign - Day of the Dragon one pretty difficult for the AFFS to succeed with that force.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1371 on: 09 September 2016, 16:06:57 »
Date: June 1, 3026 [See notes]

Title: A Sense of Foreboding

Author:  Pat Zircher

Type:  Graphic Novel (Blackthorne)

Synopsis:  At midnight, a sneaksuited commando sneaks aboard the MCS Faultless, kills a guard, and takes his uniform.  He hides in the ship’s laundry.  Twenty hours later, he’s still aboard as the ship reaches an Invader-class JumpShip, docks, and jumps six-trillion miles.

Notes:  This story is undated, but Kyalla Centrella is the Magestrix, and there aren’t active hostilities along the Canopian/FWL border, so it’s likely set before the 4th Succession War.  I've chosen June 1, 3026 arbitrarily.

Oddities…where to start.

Six trillion miles sounds like a nice big number.  Plugging in a li’l ol’ conversion factor, we see that the jump took the ship…1.02 light years.  Vakarel is 43.92 light years from Canopus (258 trillion miles).  So….where were they going?  Is there an uninhabited system with a recharge station (Davion-style) just one light year from Canopus? 

Likewise, the canon transit time from Canopus IV to a standard jump point is 14.94 days, suggesting that the JumpShip must have met the Faultless at a pirate point 20 hours out, since the sneaksuit guy would certainly be discovered under the dirty socks during a two week transit.  Oddly, however, the panels of the sneaksuit guy knifing a guard are overlayed on a picture of an Olympus-class recharge station hanging in close proximity to a planet and a belt of smaller moons, with the sun in the background.

Also, apparently in Canopian, “Danstun Porgha” means “Laundry Deposit.”  Not exactly Star League Standard English.

The Faultless launched from Canopus II, rather than IV.  Perhaps the Canopians have a staging base on II.  Canopus II seems to have at least 11 moons.  The area around the JumpShip is similarly busy, with at least 10 moons in close proximity.  Calculating a pirate point in that mess must have been a bear.

The appearance of the Union DropShip and the Invader JumpShip are spot-on, suggesting that the artist, Cesar Magsombol, either had DropShips & JumpShips or the MechWarrior RPG book for reference.  Cesar went on to have a substantial body of work as a background artist in animation, working on the BattleTech cartoon, King of the Hill, X-Men Evolution, Bob’s Burgers, and others.  Pat Zircher did a lot of work on major comic books in the 1990s, including Cable & Deadpool, New Warriors, and Thunderbolts.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 18:29:41 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1372 on: 09 September 2016, 19:42:53 »
Date: May 17, 3026

Title: Gunship Simulator

Author: Thomas S. Gressman

Type: Scenario (BattleTechnology)

Synopsis:  Captain Alan Cameron and Lt. Scott Davis, attached to the 2nd Syrtis Fusiliers' 1st Battalion, piloted a pair of Wyvern-class VTOL gunships against elements of the Second Kearny Highlanders as they traversed a sheer-sided valley.  The VTOLs inflicted several casualties, and sufficiently disrupted the Highlanders that the outnumbered Fusiliers were able to withdraw following their raid on a 'Mech production facility.

The VTOLs have to hold the Liao 'Mechs 8 turns, but can shorten that duration by one turn for each 'Mech downed.  The Liao forces are suprised, and cannot fire on turn 1.  The Liao units have to make a friendly-fire check any time there is a friendly unit between them and the target, and run the risk of hitting their own side. 

The Liao lance consists of a 2/3 Victor, a 2/2 Shadow Hawk, a 1/1 Assassin, and a 1/1 Locust. 

The Davions win if at least one VTOL can withdraw after the time limit has expired.  The Liaos win if both VTOLs are destroyed prior to turn 8.

Notes:  This is one of the first published BattleTech works by Thomas S. Gressman, one of the lead authors for the Twilight of the Clans novel series.  He used this scenario to use his optional rules for VTOLs, which had not previously appeared in the game, but debut in this issue.  They allow VTOLs to conduct strafing runs and have chin turrets.  The ruleset is described as "a variant, not yet officially sanctioned."   

The VTOLs are (non canon) Wyverns (30 tons, 9/14, lasers and SRMs in the nose, with a small laser tail gun).  As written, the design is illegal, since it predated vehicle design rules and assumed that all 10 heat sinks could fit in the fusion engine.  It also uses fractional accounting, and assumes 24 shots/ton for the SRM-4, rather than 25.  The legal version (with 2.25 less tons of armor) comes in at a BV of 977.

One wonders exactly what the Syrtis Fusiliers were on Wei for in 3026.  No official source records a BattleMech factory there, but there are reports of a facility used to manufacture the UrbStryc-A nerve gas.  Was Duke Hasek-Davion shopping for Hanse's birthday present?

The only way to go for the VTOLs is to get max movement modifiers and keep their distance from the Liao forces - picking away at them with the Large Lasers.  A few lucky hits should take the Locust down, and then they can concentrate on the slow-moving Shadow Hawk.  With luck, both the Hawk and the Locust should be down by turn 6, and the VTOLs can withdraw.  Since the Liao 'Mechs have powerful short range weapons and unbelievably good gunnery scores, the Wyverns need to keep their distance at all costs.  Whenever possible, try to move to get the leading Liao 'Mechs to block the lines of fire from the others, making them risk friendly fire.

The Highlanders should use the Assassin to the maximum extent possible.  With great movement and a 1/1 gunnery, the Medium 'Mech has a pretty good chance of hitting the choppers, and just a bit of damage is enough to do serious harm.  The Locust also has the ability to hit, but lacks range and jump jets, so getting into firing range will require significantly more effort.  The Victor should just go prone, since the VTOLs (unless they're stupid) will never get within 9 hexes, and this variant lacks long range weapons.  The Shadow Hawk should stay still and try to land hits with the AC/5 and LRM-5.

The accompanying article introduces a number of new VTOLs (Goshawk, Iroquois, Ki-Rin, and Lifesaver), and claims only the AFFS, DCMS, and LCAF use VTOLs as part of their frontline forces, as do mercenary units.  (For some reason, the CCAF and FWLM don't use VTOLs in 3030).  This actually fits with the Ferret being a FedSuns design, while the Warrior is Lyran.  (Though the CCAF was apparently experimenting with one in 3025, and the FWL caught up by 3058.)
« Last Edit: 04 November 2016, 13:54:57 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1373 on: 09 September 2016, 22:40:10 »
Date: June 10, 3026

Title: The Red Forest

Synopsis: During a combat landing on Errai, the Sabres' Medium Lance's Leopard DropShip crashes in the Red Forest, surrounded by Davion infantry.  They marched overland through heavy woods to rejoin the rest of the Sabres, pursued by infantry.

The Sabres have a damaged Longbow, Rifleman, Trebuchet, and Stinger.  The AFFS troops (the Errai Planetary Garrison Unit) has 12 platoons of foot infantry that deploy hidden and stay hidden when moving, until it opens fire.  Every hex is covered by heavy woods hexes.

The Sabres try to exit three of the four 'Mechs off the northern edge of the map by the end of turn 8 to win.  If they fail, the Davions win. 

Notes:  Yikes!  Given the timing, the Sabres went straight from Ozawa to Errai, about two jumps away.  And then whey they arrive, their pilot crashes them into a mountainside.  3026 is a pretty rough patch for the Sabres.

The Sabres have to move 14 hexes in 8 turns, with each move forward costing 3 MP.  While the Stinger won't have any problems jumping to freedom, the Trebuchet will move 2 hexes per turn, and the Rifleman and Longbow will move 2 hexes per turn, and 1 on rounds they have to turn to zig-zag.

The defender can designate 10 hexes as rough ground, forcing those who enter it to make a PSR at +3 or fall.  I would recommend putting them in a long row in the middle - where any units trying to traverse the map in a straight line will have to cross.  If any risk going through and fall, they'll lose a turn of MP getting back up, and won't stand a chance of making the 8 MP deadline.  If they detour around the edge, that costs them forward progress. 

Put half your infantry on the left flank, half on the right, and vector them towards the incoming 'Mechs once their path of advance is evident.  If you get troops in the same hex as a target, try to kneecap them to slow them down.  Your primary target should be the Rifleman - it's very slow and its rear is very thin.  You should also try to target the Longbow - which is massive, but lightly armored (due to the huge engine) and full of explosive ammo.

For the Sabres, this is another tough scenario.  The Stinger can get through without a problem, but the rest will be lucky to cross by turn 7.  Put the Rifleman and Longbow in columns where they can go straight across the map without having to turn.  This will allow them to move two hexes per turn and make it off by turn 7.  (Unfortunately, it also forecasts exactly where they're heading, so expect lots of infantry contact) 

One option would be to try to start fires as you go.  This will clear out the infantry, but runs the risk of heating your 'Mechs up to the point where they slow down.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1374 on: 09 September 2016, 23:21:19 »
Date: June 15, 3026 [See notes]

Synopsis: Upon arrival in the Vakarel system, the Magistracy commander, Major Akii-Bua, is informed that an unknown sentry in a House Centrella uniform has been spotted walking the corridors.  The Major calls out the guards, but it is too late.  The intruder kills the guard at the communications room and sends a message to Lord Corwan Walkner, identifying himself as Rene Gerant, and warning Corwan that a company of Canopian 'Mechs is inbound.  He is killed, much to Akii-Bua's displeasure, who wanted Sir Gerant (bannerman to House Walkner) alive.

The Major uses the open channel to demand Vakarel's surrender, promising that House Walkner will be given a Canopian landhold.  Walkner says he needs time to consider, and Akii-Bua gives him the four days it will take for his DropShip to land on the planet. 

Notes:  I'm placing this two weeks after the initial scene, because the Canopian Invader would have needed at least three jumps (two 7-day recharges) to reach Vakarel, having only gone 1.02 light years in the first jump.

In the Magistracy Armed Forces, a Major usually commands a Battalion, and sometimes even a regiment, making one wonder exactly why Akii-Bua is heading only a company.  Perhaps his chromosome count has resulted in less authority than is usually commensurate to his rank. 

Every trooper on the Faultless is male, an oddity in the female-dominated MAF.  The all-male revue crew loadout may suggest that none of the female MAF officers would consent to serve under him.  Their aesthetic style also runs heavily towards Flash Gordon (a common theme in the Blackthorne comics). 

Vakarel, based on the illustration, has at least 22 moons.  Cesar Magsombol sure did like drawing moons.

If I follow the chronology correctly, Rene Gerant must have penetrated the perimeter of the military starport on Canopus II, killed a guard wearing a House Centrella uniform, used that uniform to board the Faultless and spent 20 hours hiding in the laundry, and then started wandering the corridors, only to be spotted and reported just as the ship completes its final jump to Vakarel.  The Union isn't that large of a vessel - why wasn't he noticed earlier?  Did he spend the majority of the trip hiding under a pile of DRTs and tighty-whities in the Danstun Porgha, only to emerge and make a run for the comm center once the ship reached Vakarel? 

The FWL colony on Vakarel apparently has deep space communications equipment, which implies a certain level of technological advancement.  (If you'll recall, Grayson and the Gray Death Legion had to stage a raid to get access to a transmitter capable of reaching the jump point on Verthandi, so this isn't tech one just has lying around ubiquitously.)  However, they appear to lack scanners and early warning systems at the jump points.  Otherwise, why would they need a spy to warn them that a hostile ship was inbound?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1375 on: 10 September 2016, 07:07:02 »
Date: June 16, 3026 [See notes]

Synopsis:  Count Corwan Walkner, ruler of Vakarel, calls the world's leading nobles together to discuss what to do about the Canopian 'Mech company on approach.  Before any of the nobles can speak, Precentor Cirilo and two ROM agents burst into the room and demand to be present, noting that ComStar is considering establishing a permanent presence on Vakarel.  Count Walkner agrees to let them observe.

Major Torac (late of the Fusiliers of Oriente) argues that House Marik has no interest in defending a "blizzard-cursed ball of ice" like Vakarel, but advocates resistance out of loyalty to the Grand Duchy of Oriente.  Count Walkner notes that the Magistracy has been raiding the Free Worlds League for centuries, and says that Captain-General Janos Marik would send support if he knew about the planet's secret resources.  Baroness Sabell also votes to fight.  Lady Lyta, and Baron Lauron, and Baron Omervoff vote to yield.

Lieutenant Vaughn, commander of Bowman's Banshees mercenary force, announces his intention to surrender under the Ares Conventions, rather than fight the invaders, out of fear that the damage inflicted will exceed his pay for the contract.  He suggests Count Walkner accept Canopian rule.  Precentor Cirilio muses that he'll have to find a way to make use of Lt. Vaughn.

With the vote two for fighting and three for yielding, Count Walkner closes the meeting and retires to his private chambers to discuss matters with his wife, Countess Trista.  He worries that Major Torac will not abide by the vote, and will try to fight.  Trista worries that the Canopians have come seeking the valuable Qaere crystals which lie beneath Vakarel's surface.  He worries that House Marik will one day send forces to reclaim Vakarel, and then he'll be branded a traitor. 

Trista interprets the Count's worries about Torac as suspicion that the Canopians caused the disappearance of two planetologists between Watermael and Kanata.  She discounts that theory.

Their discussion is interrupted by the arrival of Lt. Vaughn, who informs them that he's changed his mind, and says the Banshees will fight the Canopian invaders, explaining that he didn't like feeling cowardly.  Count Walkner is convinced, but Trista remains suspicious of Vaughn, and resolves to summon the Count's household guards to the war room in the morning.

Notes:  The conference scene is undated, but I assume it would take at least a day to pull together the planet's ranking nobility for a conference.

The implication of Precentor Cirilo's statement is that there is no HPG on Vakarel, which conflicts with the MechWarrior RPG's statement that, circa 3025, ever inhabited world in the Inner Sphere had an HPG station (though perhaps that statement should only refer to "major worlds," since it appears low-population worlds like Trell I, Verthandi, and Vakarel don't have HPGs, and certainly remote mining colonies, military outposts, and the like wouldn't have their own HPG stations. 

The Precentor lacks the standard ComStar robes and cowl.  Most unusual, however, are his ROM security escorts - who have quivers of arrows strapped to their backs and are wearing hoods which give them pointy ears and dorsal fins on their heads.  I'm guessing Cesar Magsombol assumed there were aliens in BattleTech, or just decided to plonk a couple of Centaurians from Guardians of the Galaxy into the background for fun.  The BattleForce comic already featured a blue-skinned character.

The mercenaries are named as Bowman's Banshees in this issue, but renamed Langendorf's Lancers in the next.  The Lancers' duty station circa 3025 is Colfax, on the Lyran border near Dixie, so it's unlikely that they'd be on Vakarel, on the other side of the FWL.  The FWL sourcebook also lists the commander as Wayne Roland, not Lt. Vaughn.  It is possible that "Bowman's Banshees" is the name of two detached lances of Langendorf's Lancers, under the command of Lt. Vaughn.  The Lancers are a regiment in size, so they could split off sub-units on separate contracts.  The text describing Vaughn as the commander of Langendorf's Lancers may simply be a misstatement, while the intent was to name him as the commander of the Lancers' detachment on Vakarel.

The text referring to the Duchy of Oriente makes no sense whatsoever.  Vakarel is hundreds of light years from the nearest Oriente world (Milnerton), but only a couple of jumps from the Duchy of Andurien.  Major Torac's mention of loyalty to the Duchy of Oriente must refer only to his personal loyalty as a veteran of the Fusiliers, rather than any political connection of Vakarel to the Grand Duchy.

Given Dame Catherine Humphries' predilection for plotting and scheming in this era, I can't help but wonder if she had a hand in orchestrating this raid.  She may have meant it to fail, but make Count Walkner fear for his safety, and seek the protection of the (relatively) nearby Duchy of Andurien - allowing Humphries to spread her influence.  And if the world falls, then it still gets added to the Andurien-Canopian alliance, so Kyalla and Catherine win either way.

Without Bowman's Banshees, the Count implies the planet cannot be defended.  Yet, a background shot (with, again, a great many moons) also shows what appear to be three aerospace fighters on patrol.  Why not vector them towards the DropShip and see what happens?

The portly guy with the eyepatch technically isn't named, but I think he's intended to be Baron Omervoff.  The problem is that he calls Count Walkner by that name when he speaks.  I think there may have been some miscommunication between the artist and writer.

Trista's non-sequitur reference to missing planetologists implies that some key dialogue was cut for space, since it doesn't make any sense in the context of the rest of the conversation.  Count: "[Torac] may not quietly lay down his sword." Countess: "You mean, did the Canopians cause the disappearance of the planetologists?"  This causes the Count to go off on an expositional tangent about how great qaere crystals are. 

The implication is that some planetologists came, surveyed the world, found the qaere crystals, and then (since the world lacks an HPG) planned to return to...I dunno...Oriente? to report their find, but their ship disappeared between Watermael and Kanata.  Interestingly, both are very near the Duchy of Andurien's border.  Then again, perhaps Trista's sudden outburst was a Freudian slip revealing her involvement in their disappearance.

"Trista, how's the household budget doing?"
"I didn't kill those planetologists!"
"What?!"
"I mean, we're doing fine.  Especially with all those valuable qaere crystals which are all ours that nobody will ever know about now."
« Last Edit: 10 September 2016, 07:50:48 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1376 on: 10 September 2016, 08:04:23 »
I vaguely remember this comic book issue (it was comic before graphic novel) and  i found it at the time the least Battletech-ish and arguably worse done of the comics from Blackthorne.  It was horrible, it wanted to be novel (i have no problem with that) but writers/artist was SO DAMN OFF from anything Battletech it wasn't funny. I bet they had their own story and just randomly picked factions and combat unit's out of a hat.  It was terrible.  :P
« Last Edit: 10 September 2016, 11:31:51 by Wrangler »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1377 on: 10 September 2016, 10:48:02 »
I'm using a mobile while traveling and can't check my sources. But I recall there were two equally viable merc units for Vaughn's unit - the Bowman Banshees are a sub-unit of the 21st Centauri Lancers. Or something like that.

About the aerospace fighters: It's said that Vakarel's turbulent atmosphere precludes the use of anything smaller than a DropShip.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2016, 10:51:21 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1378 on: 10 September 2016, 21:38:56 »
Date: June 17, 3026

Synopsis: The next morning, in House Walkner's war room, Torac, the Count, and four troopers from his personal guard discuss the tactical situation.  Torac notes that the DropShip cannot conduct orbital bombardment, and will have to land to deploy its troops, but the perpetual Star Veil snowstorms encircling Vakarel will enable the Canopian vessel to enter the atmosphere unseen and land unopposed.  Interception in the atmosphere with fighters is impossible, since no vessel lighter than a DropShip can maintain control in the atmosphere.  Torac says they cannot expect help from the Duchy of Andurien, and the Fusiliers of Oriente are five jumps away, a journey of months.  He lists the assets of the household guard - two Hermes IIs, an Assassin, an Ostscout, and four Hunter tanks. 

Lady Vandveer takes command of the Hunters, Boddicker runs the Ostscout, and Torac tasks Captain Vandveer (Lady Vandveer's husband) with assembling an infantry commando unit with light environmental suits.  Torac will pilot the Assassin, and Baroness Sabell and one of her household MechWarriors will take the Hermes IIs.  Lt. Vaughn reports that his Orion and Centurion are ready to deploy, once minor repairs are completed, and the other four (one of which is a Vulcan) are in perfect condition.

Following the meeting, Precentor Cirilo meets with Lt. Vaughn.  Vaughn speculates that the Vakarel garrison may be able to defeat the Canopians, and warns Cirilo that he will not receive the promised three million C-Bills if Vaughn fails to survive the coming battle.  He advises Cirilo not to try any dirty tricks, then turns his attention to his crew.  He finds Sergeant Miranda and Tech Harleigh sparring, and orders them to put on light environment suits and go outside into the storm to finish the repairs on the Orion and Centurion.

While he works with Tech Harleigh on the repairs, Vaughn ponders why Cirilo wants to stop the Canopians from taking Vakrael, why he's asked for protection after the battle, and why ComStar is considering putting an HPG on Vakarel, when there are a dozen other worlds with better climates.

Captain Vandveer reports to the Count on his plans for the defense, and requests use of the armory's two Sniper artillery pieces.  Torac asks for the Count's supply of vibrobombs. 

As Sergeant Miranda reports to Vaughn on the status of second lance, the pair are attacked by an Ugmar, a predatory beast native to Vakarel.  Vaughn shoots it with his laser pistol, forcing it to retreat, but not before Miranda is wounded and suffering from exposure.  In the infirmary, Lady Lyta diagnoses her as suffering from cold shock, and isn't sure she'll be able to return to duty. 

Later, in the throne room, Barons Lauron and Omervoff return for an audience, and pledge themselves to support the planetary defense against the Canopians.  Baron Omervoff volunteers to pilot a Hermes II.  Precentor Cirilio applauds the Barons' pledge of support, and suggests that, if they win, ComStar could deploy weather control satellites to the world. 

Notes:  I can't quite imagine what sort of editorial process Blackthorne had when assigning jobs.  Some of the comics they made showed that the artists had official 'Mech art to work from.  This one shows that Cesar Magsombol had seen DropShips & Jumpships, but apparently did not receive Blackthorne's copy of TRO: 3025, so he went off on his own, rendering a pair of humanoid 'Mechs utterly unlike the Centurion and Orion they're meant to represent.  The listing off of the different types of 'Mechs indicates that Pat Zircher, at least, had a list of the TRO:3025 units, but for some reason Cesar wasn't in the loop on the source material. 

I'm utterly confused as to what is going on between Vaughn and Cirilo.  The Precentor seems to have asked Vaughn to step up and commit his forces to Vakarel's defense, and to serve as Cirilo's bodyguard after the battle.  Yet the subsequent dialogue suggests that Vaughn plans to pay Cirilo three million C-Bills once the battle is over, if he survives.  The word balloons can't be mixed up, because it shows Vaughn calling Cirilo Precentor and Cirilo calling Vaughn Lieutenant, but it seems like, aside from the honorifics, they should have had their dialogue swapped.

The explanation that the Canopians will be able to ground because it's impossible to send fighters up through the Star Veil remains a bit odd.  Why not send fighters to engage the Canopians in orbit, or far out towards the jump point?  The only thing I can think of is that Vakarel doesn't have any fighters, because the winds are too intense for them to be based on the planet, and they don't have any space-based launch/recovery platforms.  However, what, then, are we to make of several frames that show what appear to be somewhat off-model Corsair aerospace fighters?  Are those the Canopian fighter escorts?  Why are they flying escort two days away from planetfall? 

Pat Zircher ended up doing a fair amount of comic art in his career, and did artwork for other issues of the short-lived BattleTech comic.  I don't see any credits for writing, though, just pencils and inks.  This appears to be some of his earliest work in the industry, aside from some interior art for the Villains and Vigilantes RPG.   

Had someone slapped the title "Flash Gordon: A Sense of Foreboding" or "Buck Rogers: A Sense of Foreboding" on this, it would work about as well.  The art, by Cesar Magsombol, is noticeably better than in some of the other issues, but doesn't really match the BattleTech aesthetic that would be firmly defined by FASA's regular stable of artists.  Cesar is also credited with the lettering, and that has some problems.  It is riddled with typos and fragmented conversations that make it unclear exactly what's going on at times, and often the words are split in the middle, implying that insufficient space was left for the text.  Based on Cesar's name, I would hazard to guess that English may not have been his first language, which could account for some of the errors.

House Walkner's compound is definitely not set up to support 'Mech operations.  The mercenary 'Mechs are parked outside, in the permanent snowstorm, where wild predators are freely roaming (so, not even a security fence).  You can see in one frame that the 'Mechs have snow build-up.  Without regular maintenance and use, they'd be buried in short order.

The flag? of Vakarel, behind the Count's throne, shows a world with a ring around it in a triangle.  If it represents Vakarel, it suggests the presence of a ring in orbit around the planet.  That would explain all the "moons" seen in the sky - they're actually an orbiting asteroid belt (which may also account for Vakarel's wild weather, if they are of sufficient size to cause tidal fluctuations in the atmosphere, stirring it up constantly). 
« Last Edit: 12 September 2016, 09:44:28 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1379 on: 11 September 2016, 07:46:11 »
Date: June 19, 3026

Synopsis:  Two days later, the Vakarel garrison is as prepared as it can be, and vows to fight for House Walkner and the Grand Duchy of Oriente.  Count Walkner is morally conflicted - is he fighting for his nation, or to retain control of a fortune in qaere crystals.  Countess Trisha reassures him that his motives are pure.  Their embrace is interrupted by the arrival of Baroness Sabell, with word that the Canopian DropShip has landed on the Plains of Astreus.

Notes:  It's even more explicit here that author Pat Zircher considered Vakarel to be politically aligned with the Duchy of Oriente, despite the acknowledgement that it's at least 140 light years away.  In addition to the formal "borders" of the FWL sub-states, I wonder to what extent each has a "sphere of influence" commanding a bloc of votes from non-member, but aligned worlds.  Presumably, since Vakarel is in no way a part of the Duchy of Oriente, its MP votes in a bloc in parliament with the Oriente delegation, and this is the focal point for the loyalty the Count is feeling.  He earlier noted that he was granted Vakarel as a holding by Janos Marik himself, and that all the other Dukes laughed at his being assigned to rule a desolate iceball on the edge of the League.  So...did he do something special to merit a planetary landhold despite being a mere Count, or was he being exiled from court with this assignment? 

The story ends on the cliffhanger of the Canopians' arrival, with a "To Be Continued" notation, picking up in issue #6.  The Canopians' arrival seems to be eliciting an unusual amount of concern, given that there can't be more than 12 'Mechs in the approaching vessel, and the defenders have six mercenary 'Mechs (including an Orion, a Centurion, and a Vulcan), four House Walkner 'Mechs, and four tanks.  The defenders would seem to have the numerical advantage.