Author Topic: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??  (Read 43147 times)

Kat

• Freelance Artist
  • Warrant Officer
    • Kat's deviantART
Re: Pacific Rim -- But...was it Battletech??
« Reply #270 on: 23 July 2013, 22:46:08 »
Sorry...don't get it...

Hand in your nerd card!  >:(

Then go watch MST3k. One of the robots is named Gypsy.
The preceding post has been Smart Wolf®-Approved for quality!

BattleTech and original art          Free hex map template!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #271 on: 24 July 2013, 05:14:53 »
I'm -really- hoping for a prequel movie, showing the jaegers in their heyday.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #272 on: 24 July 2013, 16:54:00 »
That was one of the things I can't understand reading some of then less then stellar reviews, saying between the rain and the darkness you couldn't follow the action. WTH? I had no problem following the action, Transformers I couldn't track most of the action and it was done mostly in broad day light cause too much was going on at once.

Yeah, I have no idea what those folks are talking about. As opposed to (for example) Bay's idea to shoot every robot scuffle from three feet away, Pacific Rim's battles were big, wide-field-of-view affairs.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #273 on: 24 July 2013, 19:16:48 »
I'm -really- hoping for a prequel movie, showing the jaegers in their heyday.

That would be really awesome.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #274 on: 25 July 2013, 09:45:53 »
I actually put this up on the Web back on Tuesday, but finally have my own review ready....  http://paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/moviereviews/x1724760090/Pacific-Rim-a-new-standard-of-monster-and-bot-excellence

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #275 on: 26 July 2013, 00:20:51 »
While Pacific Rim didn't do that great in the US I believe the rest of the global market picked it up a lot.
Made by HikageMaru

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #276 on: 26 July 2013, 00:37:39 »
I think it has done OK, but part of the problem is 'Every blockbuster this summer is a flop!' seems to be the chant.  I mean I heard a summary of its opening weekend as 'gaining no traction, this looks like the 4th flop so far.'  Besides, if the critics talk down a movie I am interested in, it generally means I will like it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #277 on: 26 July 2013, 01:23:12 »
Have to agree with you on that, if the elitist, critics pooh pooh something I usually like it. a lot.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #278 on: 26 July 2013, 08:09:51 »
Between domestic and an early international release, I believe it's already made back its production money. So, yeah, not a flop.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #279 on: 26 July 2013, 08:24:00 »
I think it has done OK, but part of the problem is 'Every blockbuster this summer is a flop!' seems to be the chant.  I mean I heard a summary of its opening weekend as 'gaining no traction, this looks like the 4th flop so far.'  Besides, if the critics talk down a movie I am interested in, it generally means I will like it.

That is why when reading reviews from critics is best to try read between lines or just ignore them. This way you know are you going to like it yourself. it. After all those reviews are always based on critics' opinions that might not match your personal opinion. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #280 on: 26 July 2013, 08:46:46 »
Whether a critic did or did not like something is far less important to me than why.  That's why I still watch Maltin's reviews even though he gives everything 2.5 stars.  I frequently disagree with his conclusions but it's the analysis that let's me know if I'm likely to like the movie.
"Everything starts as someone's daydream." -- Larry Niven

MM Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/_list/tickets

MHQ Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/_list/tickets

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #281 on: 26 July 2013, 10:09:22 »
Film criticism used to be an elitist game, but Ebert and the internet have really democratized it.  Like Netzilla said, it's more important to understand why a critic feels the way they do than to agree with them, but failing that just find someone that you do agree with.   For what it's worth, critical reaction to Pacific Rim was generally favorable.  It's important to differentiate between discussion of box office returns and discussion of a film's quality.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #282 on: 26 July 2013, 14:07:32 »
Damn, I wanted to go see it again today, but seems the theaters have all pulled it to just two showings a day now.  And neither at a convenient time.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #283 on: 26 July 2013, 18:50:07 »
Film criticism used to be an elitist game, but Ebert and the internet have really democratized it.  Like Netzilla said, it's more important to understand why a critic feels the way they do than to agree with them, but failing that just find someone that you do agree with.   For what it's worth, critical reaction to Pacific Rim was generally favorable.  It's important to differentiate between discussion of box office returns and discussion of a film's quality.

One thing I like the late Ebert.. is while he may not like a film he made certain you understood his reasoning and let you draw your on conclusion from that if the movie is the sort you as a fan would enjoy.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #284 on: 27 July 2013, 12:49:10 »
One thing I like the late Ebert.. is while he may not like a film he made certain you understood his reasoning and let you draw your on conclusion from that if the movie is the sort you as a fan would enjoy.

Yeah, I am really going to miss his reviews.  :'(
He was one of the very few film critics I actually respect. Unlike most of the others he wasn't an elitist snob. He genuinely loved movies and wanted to cultivate that in others.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #285 on: 27 July 2013, 18:42:49 »
Saw it today and loved it; though it reminded me more like Evangelion than Battletech- minus the religious elements, the characters whom all have parent issues, and AT Fields.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #287 on: 29 July 2013, 14:39:44 »
You may call me "Jumpin' Jim Tong"  ;)
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #288 on: 29 July 2013, 16:01:15 »
Saw the movie twice, bought the graphic novel, soundtrack, and just got the art book. Then I saw this:

And it reminded me of this:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #289 on: 29 July 2013, 20:40:10 »
Looks LAM-ish to me. Or should I say "Remoinds moi orv ar LARM" - about as authentic an Aussie accent as the movie featured ;)

Saw it on the weekend, enjoyed it. Liked Cherno Alpha and its crew best, albeit only used in snippets. When everyone else was fleeing the charging weapon in the hanger, they just casually strolled away.

Soundtrack - got that. Really reminds me of the original Iron Man soundtrack, not suprisingly (same composer). Djawadi seems to be one of the few graduates of the Zimmermatic who's prepared to different. Unlike his old master, he didn't bother using the mixing deck to produce the signature "foghorn" tone - he went out & hired more basses & bass trombones. And no woodwinds (except for a small flute solo) helped make it suitably "heavy", IMO.

Listen to the Iron Man track "Driving with the top down" and then the theme "Pacific Rim". The leit-motifs are different, but the framing seems very similar. But it works for both.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Register