Author Topic: (Answered) Bearings-only Capital Missiles and Orbit-to-Surface fire  (Read 1623 times)

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
I've scanned through the PDF and errata, plus a quick search of this sub-board, and didn't find this.  If it's already answered somewhere, my apologies, but please point it out.

Can capital missiles be used for orbit to surface fire on a bearings-only launch? (Rules on pp 100-106)

Say my warship is burning towards a planet.  I'm days away from orbit.  But I want to soften up the ground for my troops.  So, I fire off capital missiles (conventional or nuclear), targeting known military facilities in range of my intended landing zone.  Accelerating faster than I am, they reach target a day or two before me.  So, when I arrive, things are nicely pre-bombarded.

Conversely, can bearings-only launches be used in surface to orbit fire? 

Using the above example, the defenders detected my jump signature and launch a volley or six of missiles to coast along my likely path and activate in staggered locations calculated as my likely points while accelerating at 1G.  So, as I burn towards the planet, I might suddenly have to dodge a fast approach by a cloud of White Sharks hoping to crit me before I orbit.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 16:53:42 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Bearings-only Cap Missiles and Orbit-to-Surface fire
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2014, 17:32:38 »
No and no.  Capital weapons fire in atmosphere works under the rules on pp. 103-110.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register