Author Topic: Clan laborer education  (Read 1696 times)

solmanian

• Captain
Clan laborer education
« on: 07 February 2015, 16:46:50 »
What is the appropriate stage 3 module for a member of a clan labour caste?

The other civilian caste are pretty obvious
Tech - tech college
Merchant - trade school
Scientist - university

But labourer is difficult. It's hard to pin what is the appropriate field for them. I'm leaning toward college, but I don't want to step on the tech caste toes. Trade school is little too generalised; I doubt the labourers are studying journalism or archaeology... 
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Archangel

• Major
Re: Clan laborer education
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2015, 18:32:36 »
In general, members of the laborer caste immediately enter the workforce upon completion of their basic education.  After all a laborer assigned to a farm or a mine has no need of further education.  Some laborers, particularly those involved in manufacturing receive additional vocational training appropriate to their assignment.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Death_Mechanic

• Recruit
  • Fly, fight, win
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2015, 21:51:46 »
I haven't delved that deeply into it, but agriculture is a field at Universities IRL. Maybe see if you can find a skill field that matches, after all, a farmer might need to learn that stuff if they become a supervisor (I imagine that all the clan castes have a hierarchy of their own).
Quantity has a quality all its own...
No OPLAN ever survives initial contact...
You, you, and you, panic. The rest of you, come with me...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2015, 22:25:50 »
A Clanner who know soil conditions, when to plant what, and how to keep the farm functioning might actually be Scientist caste and not Laborer.  Laborers just need to know how to pull the crop good from the plant and how to slaughter the livestock.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2015, 22:47:16 »
I've always envisaged labour castemen organised into gangs of like 100 overseen by a technician or science caste member, depending on what role they're assigned to.

Ie: a mine might have 10 shifts - each consisting of unskilled grunt labour who actually mine, dig, etc. each of them is overseen by a supervisor who actually has a bit of training in mining operations and is drawn from the technician caste.
A senior technician would be appointed overall administrator of the mining compound.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2015, 02:46:15 »
I always reckoned that the clans civilian castes are better educated than IS counterparts, after all we know they are more skilled.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2015, 05:18:44 »
I always reckoned that the clans civilian castes are better educated than IS counterparts, after all we know they are more skilled.

That is probably a misconception.  After all if they were more educated more and more might get the crazy belief that they know more than the ruling warrior caste and thus should have a greater voice in how the Clan is run like the Society's core belief.   ;)

The Clans live(d) in a world where resources were extremely scarce.  As a result, education in the Clans is focused on making them productive members of the Clan ASAP.  For most members of the lower castes that means that experience and hands-on education is more important to excelling at their job than what is taught in the classroom.  After all, how many of the tasks that today's farmers, ranchers, miners, tailors, cooks, bakers and fisherman perform on a regular basis actually require a college education?  Even the majority of workers in factories have jobs that don't require college education especially as a lot of the tasks are highly automated.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Death_Mechanic

• Recruit
  • Fly, fight, win
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2015, 14:44:26 »
I don't know if that's necessarily true, that it would be a scientist that knew the planting cycle, or soil conditions. It would certainly be a Scientist testing the PH of the soil, forecasting the weather  and accounting for climatology(I don't care if it is the 31st century, a machine can never replace a human forecaster), and doing all the science, but as far as applying that information to say, we shouldn't plant when it's raining, or we should wait a couple days after the rain to plant, would need to be a scientist. And certainly the techs would fix the equipment, but a laborer would be the one operating it. After all, techs and scientists are not as numerous as laborers, so laborers would have the most diverse skill sets, although not as useful.
Caste Breakdown (as I see it, Broken Down Barney Style)
Merchant - I trade things
Warrior - I fight over things
Laborer - I pick things up and I put them down
Tech - I maintain the machines that pick things up and put them down
Scientist - I design the machines that techs maintain that pick things up and put them down

Obviously that's in order of Job complexity, not Importance to clan society. Warriors may be at the top, but A good clan warrior (Wardens are the Best) knows that He is ony as good as the equipment the Scientists design, the laborers build, and techs maintain.

The clan castes are only as educated as they need to be to perform their function. However, they don't discourage growth, as long as said growth benefits the clan. If a laborer compiles a farmer's almanac, and makes referencing information easier, and thus makes growing easier, the clan won't say that it's time wasted. If a tech builds a widget that makes his job easier, allowing him to work more efficiently, the clan won't argue.

The clans are utilitarian, ethically and practically, so if it makes you more useful it's ok. As long as you can explain how it makes you more useful.
Quantity has a quality all its own...
No OPLAN ever survives initial contact...
You, you, and you, panic. The rest of you, come with me...

Register