Author Topic: Movies and TV shows  (Read 8801 times)

solmanian

• Captain
Movies and TV shows
« on: 27 April 2015, 17:09:53 »
Out of curiosity, who owns the rights to making BattleTech movies, cartoons and TV shows?

And also, why aren't they doing anything with it? Seriously, "futuristic Game of thrones meets power rangers" and they can't think of anything to do with it?
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Re: Movies and TV shows
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2015, 17:20:01 »
Out of curiosity, who owns the rights to making BattleTech movies, cartoons and TV shows?

And also, why aren't they doing anything with it? Seriously, "futuristic Game of thrones meets power rangers" and they can't think of anything to do with it?

I wouldn't be surprised that the whole Unseen debacle has made everyone gunshy about anything being done out of house to make sure that there are no rights tangles ever again.

My broken Majik Ayght Bawl says "Unless Catalyst convinces Topps to buy them a movie studio, don't hold your breath, kid."
« Last Edit: 27 April 2015, 17:21:47 by Pat Payne »

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2015, 18:08:14 »
IIRC the Battletech cartoon has never even gotten a legitimate video/DVD release
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2015, 18:32:16 »
I wouldn't be surprised that the whole Unseen debacle has made everyone gunshy about anything being done out of house to make sure that there are no rights tangles ever again.

My broken Majik Ayght Bawl says "Unless Catalyst convinces Topps to buy them a movie studio, don't hold your breath, kid."
The unseen crap happened decades ago. Why not take a risk, if they have absolutely no plans (do they?) of making such media? License it, for a limited time, to an established studio, and have some extra cash? The publicity can only help; even if it won't be super successful (I optimistically see it being at least as successful as "Pacific Rim"), it will still be a shot in the arm, bringing more cash, more players. Maybe a show on Netflix?

I've recently seen this on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/56yGc-zVH_E

And couldn't think of what could be accomplished if they a little more resources.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2015, 19:07:34 »
IIRC the Battletech cartoon has never even gotten a legitimate video/DVD release

ISTR someone saying there was a rights kerfuffle there (what a shock) between Saban and Fox, preventing a home video release.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2015, 19:35:02 »
As for movie rights...the last I ever heard anything about it was that Dean Devlin had bought the movie rights before FASA folded. As for since then...who knows...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2015, 19:36:40 »
The unseen crap happened decades ago. Why not take a risk, if they have absolutely no plans (do they?) of making such media? License it, for a limited time, to an established studio, and have some extra cash? The publicity can only help; even if it won't be super successful (I optimistically see it being at least as successful as "Pacific Rim"), it will still be a shot in the arm, bringing more cash, more players. Maybe a show on Netflix?

I would imagine Harmony Gold, and to an extent Sony, doesn't want anyone else playing with their "Toys" without paying a pretty penny.

Relevant link:
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/robotech-movie-sony-tv-series-anime-1201460191/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2015, 19:48:31 »
As long as none of the Unseen were involved, neither HG nor Sony could do anything if Topps wanted to make a Battletech movie or TV show.  But it really seems doubtful that one would get made.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2015, 20:00:54 »
I would imagine Harmony Gold, and to an extent Sony, doesn't want anyone else playing with their "Toys" without paying a pretty penny.

Relevant link:
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/robotech-movie-sony-tv-series-anime-1201460191/

What Ogre said.
And honestly we have enough eras the unseen just isn't an issue. We can ignore them. Even if they wanted to do a Succession Wars movie, they could still ignore them: they only make up about 39% of the 'Mechs in TRO: 3039, a big chunk sure, but not really a huge one. Could certainly have a good spread among forces in the film.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2015, 21:07:06 »
Would film and television rights be held by the same owner, or be different properties? As byzantine as FASA's sell-offs were, I feel like I need to ask.

The chance of a Battletech movie occurring would be more likely if the stalled Voltron & Robotech movies get made and turn hefty profits. Or if someone with a name like Brad Pitt decides they want to be Anastasius Focht or Devlin Stone.

I almost would prefer a long-form series to a film. Maybe one that handles a different era each season. So you get a young Hanse Davion in season two's 4th Succession War, and an older one in season three's Clan Invasion.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2015, 21:31:51 »
The rights to make new TV or movies would, I believe, reside with Topps.

Saban & Saban - yes, makers of the many Power Rangers shows - made the old Somerset Strikers cartoon, and control the rights to broadcast of that show. But the production of the Somerset Strikers sourcebook, and later use of that IP in FASA and later books, indicates that S&S don't own the BT IP involved. From that I theorise that - given Topps' permission, and avoiding Unseen - a new video "thing" could be made.

The problem is, of course, being able to promise enough money coming in as a result to make it worth Topps' time decanting some fresh Legal Collective drones ;)

So such is my humble opinion. I am not a lawyer, nor am I a proctologist, facts I regularly give thanks for (despite having a son training for the Collective ...)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2015, 21:45:29 »
Just making a show is more than the rights to the show.
Or at least my assessment of it will be that.
First we already know of the 80 ton Goliath in the room, the Unseen rights.
Assuming they even want to go in that time frame, that would have to be tackled.

Now we don't need to, but that only means we have the other things to consider.
Who is the market for? Kids? Adults? in between?
What is the medium? Live Action? Animated? CGI? Some amalgamation of these?

When you do that then there's the art direction to consider.
No, I doubt the mentality of "use the TRO art/MW Online art/Whatever other previous art" will suffice.
Directors and Producers love to mix around things, bring their own vision to a show. Even if it is a well established title.

I'll gloss over many other things and come straight to, what might be the biggest hurdle in my opinion, merchandising.
Mel Brooks said it best, "Merchandising! Merchandising! It's how the real money is made."
Much like others here, I'd love a Spaceballs Battletech the Flamethrower.
The problem I can see is who really does have the rights to stuff? Apparel isn't toys and that isn't video games.

Oh dice gods, electronic rights for games based on the movie/show would be a nosebleed of a headache.

I know some folks will think, "Dude you're just making it complicated" or "Well I just want a show to watch".
To the latter I agree and would love to see something.
To the former, my only defense is how much merch has been pushed on various titles through the years now.

Somehow that junk has to get through, but with FASA's rights being as cohesive as a FWL family picnic I can't imagine a good possibility for us.
My god, the lawyers... suddenly hundreds of them.
The SLDF didn't win through military, they won through the legal work.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2015, 22:22:27 »
Just making a show is more than the rights to the show.
Or at least my assessment of it will be that.
First we already know of the 80 ton Goliath in the room, the Unseen rights.
Assuming they even want to go in that time frame, that would have to be tackled.

Now we don't need to, but that only means we have the other things to consider.
Who is the market for? Kids? Adults? in between?
What is the medium? Live Action? Animated? CGI? Some amalgamation of these?

When you do that then there's the art direction to consider.
No, I doubt the mentality of "use the TRO art/MW Online art/Whatever other previous art" will suffice.
Directors and Producers love to mix around things, bring their own vision to a show. Even if it is a well established title.

I'll gloss over many other things and come straight to, what might be the biggest hurdle in my opinion, merchandising.
Mel Brooks said it best, "Merchandising! Merchandising! It's how the real money is made."
Much like others here, I'd love a Spaceballs Battletech the Flamethrower.
The problem I can see is who really does have the rights to stuff? Apparel isn't toys and that isn't video games.

Oh dice gods, electronic rights for games based on the movie/show would be a nosebleed of a headache.

I know some folks will think, "Dude you're just making it complicated" or "Well I just want a show to watch".
To the latter I agree and would love to see something.
To the former, my only defense is how much merch has been pushed on various titles through the years now.

Somehow that junk has to get through, but with FASA's rights being as cohesive as a FWL family picnic I can't imagine a good possibility for us.
My god, the lawyers... suddenly hundreds of them.
The SLDF didn't win through military, they won through the legal work.

Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. IF! If I say, the entire rights for the BattleTech IP were held by one entity, there could one day be something done along these lines. But since all of the different licences are spread around to kingdom come...I am strongly inclined to think no one would think it worth the effort. Especially since this IP isn't exactly high profile...

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2015, 22:42:12 »

Exceptionally good point. And George Lucas worked that angle extensively. I also suspect merchandising and market penetration is what has made Transformers a viable franchise while other giant stompy robot franchises get sidelined.

In regards to the IP maze, you guys have reminded me that one of the biggest problem with Battletech as a franchise is that the rights for various mediums and incarnations don't revert back after a time (that I'm aware of at least anyways). And so the pieces don't make it back to the same pot for a renewed and coordinated effort.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2015, 23:04:14 »
Exceptionally good point. And George Lucas worked that angle extensively. I also suspect merchandising and market penetration is what has made Transformers a viable franchise while other giant stompy robot franchises get sidelined.

In regards to the IP maze, you guys have reminded me that one of the biggest problem with Battletech as a franchise is that the rights for various mediums and incarnations don't revert back after a time (that I'm aware of at least anyways). And so the pieces don't make it back to the same pot for a renewed and coordinated effort.

Though I am curious how hard it would be if say Topps wanted to get everything under their umbrella? I could see why they might want to...and also why they wouldn't consider it worth the effort.
(And I'm wondering how much Microsoft would want to sell their BT rights for? Didn't they basically just give the Crimson Skies licence back to Jordan Weisman? Thought I read something like that in an interview he did or something...)

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2015, 23:33:15 »
The rights to make new TV or movies would, I believe, reside with Topps.

Saban & Saban - yes, makers of the many Power Rangers shows - made the old Somerset Strikers cartoon, and control the rights to broadcast of that show. But the production of the Somerset Strikers sourcebook, and later use of that IP in FASA and later books, indicates that S&S don't own the BT IP involved. From that I theorise that - given Topps' permission, and avoiding Unseen - a new video "thing" could be made.

Actually, I can add to that a bit. In 1996, Saban Worldwide merged with Fox Kids to become Fox Kids Worldwide, a subsidiary of News Corp. Then in 1998, News Corp bought the United States Family Channel which became Fox Family Channel, and it had some pretty cool animated shows as well which were mostly provided by Fox Family Worldwide. Battletech was not among the shown programs. However in 2001, News Corp sold Fox Family and Fox Kids Worldwide to Disney, and the two became ABC Family which eventually lost all animated programs (boo!) and BVS Entertainment which included Power Rangers.

Eventually Saban bought back Power Rangers and Digimon from Disney, but to my knowledge, they never reacquired Battletech. Thus, the Battletech cartoon is in the vaults of Disney along with oddly Star Wars plus the original Transformers Robots in Disguise(Car Robots) animated program. Disney probably doesn't even realize that they have the rights to the Battletech cartoon since it came from the Fox Kids Worldwide deal, and in the past, they tend to forget anything in that catalogue save for Power Rangers, Digimon, or the Saban Marvel cartoons.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2015, 23:45:46 by Lord Harlock »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2015, 01:04:52 »
Minor nitpick, but the rights to the Transformers animated series in the US have always remained with Hasbro.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2015, 05:46:01 »
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to find it's been forgotten by Disney, or Fox, or anyone else further up the line and the rights could, through neglect, be with any of them since, and let's be painfully honest here, Battletech isn't considered a widely known IP. It's probably thought of as too niche by anyone in authority who has heard of it, and therefore too difficult to market to the masses.

Which is a pity since from what I've seen with enough investment of time, energy and money you can market pretty much anything successfully to the masses if it involves giant robots. :))

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2015, 07:01:38 »
There is only one entity in my mind that could ever do the universe justice with enough clout to get the IP sorted.  HBO

I hate to reference Game of Thrones, but Battletech is the ultimate play ground for a futuristic version.

You can't do Battletech justice in a single feature film.  Too much going on.  You need a series format.

The best bet would be to follow th early novels, isn't it Warrior Repose or something?  The trilogy that introduces the characters.  That's your first season.
Second season 3039-3049
Third season, Revival and the clans
Fourth SL, Serpent, Bulldog (and end it with the great refusal and the Adders smacking the 1st FWL around to show a new threat  :D)
FedCom season 5
Jihad madness season 6

There's more than enough story for writers and the continuity between characters is great.  It would be an easy show to write.

To the patient go the spoils

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2015, 07:10:35 »
I don't know about HBO. Imagine all of the other stuff that people are trying to sell them on. Maybe Netflix would be the place to go to since they are trying to create their own content in order to lure in more customers. They might be willing to take more of a risk then HBO.

Honestly I think we would sooner see a 40k show or movie before Battletech, though movies such as the Transformer series and Pacific Rim were able to get plenty of attention. I think that Battletech would have far more appeal on screen then 40k, even though 40k is bigger in the gaming arena.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #20 on: 28 April 2015, 09:01:51 »

Transformers' cartoon and the IP was created for the purpose of selling tranforming robot toys to kids.
Ninja Turtles, the 80's show not the original comics, was usually built on the premise of toys first then we worry about storyline.
So yeah you are right, there might have been more memorable stompy robot shows, but which one sold better in terms of units on shelves?

Exactly, this is one of the big reasons why there's so many remakes of old favorite stuff.
Old, easily remembered, and all the rights in manageable little places.

Yeah somebody's going to get the torches and sharp pointy things after me for saying this:
Even though I'm a fan, I'm willing to admit that FASA equally helped and damned us.
To the former, here we are still discussing this game.
To the latter, well here we are wondering how in the heck we could expand this out into other markets.

I guess the markets were a different beast back then.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2015, 09:10:04 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #21 on: 28 April 2015, 09:25:50 »
Honestly I think we would sooner see a 40k show or movie before Battletech, though movies such as the Transformer series and Pacific Rim were able to get plenty of attention.

Straight to DVD!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarines:_A_Warhammer_40,000_Movie
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #22 on: 28 April 2015, 12:34:08 »
Another unfortunate likelihood of a TV/movie attempt... brand name
Mechwarrior is far more recognizable than Battletech.  Another layer to work out.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 28 April 2015, 12:43:16 »
(And I'm wondering how much Microsoft would want to sell their BT rights for? Didn't they basically just give the Crimson Skies licence back to Jordan Weisman? Thought I read something like that in an interview he did or something...)

Just wanted to point out that Crimson Skies started as a Microsoft property they licensed out to FASA then Wizkids. Microsoft still owns the IP, nothing to "give back" since it was created in house.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #24 on: 28 April 2015, 16:23:30 »
Just wanted to point out that Crimson Skies started as a Microsoft property they licensed out to FASA then Wizkids. Microsoft still owns the IP, nothing to "give back" since it was created in house.

I thought Crimson Skies was owned by FASA interactive while they were still owned by FASA, and went to Microsoft as part of that sale.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 28 April 2015, 17:27:46 »
Hmm, it may sound childish, but I think we really need more/better battletech toys. The minis definitely aren't cutting it. After re-glueing one too many, my current policy regarding interactions between them and my nephews are pretty much "look at my brad new mini, isn't it cool? Awesome, isn't it? Now don't ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, EVER touch it! In fact, why don't I put it on the high shelf that even I can barely reach? Oh, you can't see it up there? That's OK, I'll show you pictures and we can talk about how awesome they are!".

No, we need something plastic, with opposable limbs, that shoots missiles. Think of a toy Catapult launching 40 "long range" missiles. We should probably put a "choking hazard" sticker on the box...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #26 on: 28 April 2015, 17:39:50 »
Got a lazy seven figures to bring to the table? Leviathans was six figures, and those minis weren't anywhere near as complex as the old Playmate toys. Not to mention the need to produce hundreds of thousands if you want to crack the WalMart or similar markets. Todd McFarlane figures are gorgeous, but expensive, as befits a niche collectors item. We want every kid on the block opening his Christmas presents, only to start howling when he sees a plastic JagerMech III. "But honey, the shopkeeper told me it was the most popular one!" ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #27 on: 28 April 2015, 19:11:00 »
Because a high quality, durable, plastic figure, with a high level of detail, in museum scale or bigger wouldn't sell well????  As a limited release item?  Dude, people darn near bludgeon each other to get faction dice... dice!  They'd sell every one they made (because it's CGL and they would make the right amount) and people would still be mad they didn't get any.

As it pertains to a movie.  Yeah merchandising.  But think of all the cool stuff the CGL kids could do with a little extra cash?!?!?

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 28 April 2015, 19:30:46 »

Actually it wasn't, as Lorcan Nagle pointed out it was created by FASA Interactive. It was created by Jordan Weisman. While the board game was created first, he always wanted to do it as a video game. First with Virtual World, then when Microsoft bought out FASA Interactive he finally had his chance to on the PC.

But getting back on topic...how well do you think the community will react to the inevitable messing about Hollywood would do with this property? Because you know they would. And even at best...they treat it as if it were an historical movie...we all know their track record as far as THAT goes...

If someone ever did make a BT movie I can see it ending like this: everyone is super stoked and can't wait to see it. Finally, opening night...go in full of excitement and hope. And afterwards, as we are all filing out, all we can think is: "How could they change that"? Why did they turn that character from someone awesome into someone so stupid? What kind of morons did they get to write this thing?"

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 28 April 2015, 19:50:23 »
I can see a movie series or a long TV series happening if the script and preproduction art were good enough get get the attention of a producer or studio.  I also wouldn't be bothered some changes as long as they weren't super drastic. Like changing characters genders or introducing things that never existed like fighter sized warp drives. Drastic changes like that changes the whole feel and identity of the IP.

The Unseen can be ignored. There were other mechs available. We just haven't seen them. If they did appear in the movie there's no reason they'd have to be the same variants as the unseen. But it'd be easier to just ignore them.

Would small plastic toys be considered toys or miniatures?

Register