Author Topic: Tell me about...the Marauder IIC (and variants)  (Read 3453 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Tell me about...the Marauder IIC (and variants)
« on: 04 July 2015, 11:52:25 »
Looking for info/thoughts on the Marauder IIC and its variants.

I found a reference to a mech-of-the-week article about it in the directory, but when I click on it, it takes me to a Centeur battle armor of the week article.

One big question I have, is whether any of the canon variants move 5/8.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Tell me about...the Marauder IIC (and variants)
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2015, 12:01:35 »
for one, it's 85tons, so the best it can move is 4/6.

and the MotW is here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-articles/mech-of-the-week-marauder-iic/
« Last Edit: 04 July 2015, 12:03:30 by glitterboy2098 »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2015, 12:05:12 »
Yeah, you would need an XXL engine to go faster, though there is a 4/6/6 improved jump jet version.

I only have personal experience with the original Marauder IIC variant.  With 42 heat dissipation and three ER PPCs, it's a beast at long range.  The problem I always had was getting overexcited at close range with the secondary twin MPLs and quad ERSLs.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2015, 12:45:07 »
actually to go faster you'd need a 425 engine.

but even with the 4/6 limit, you could boost speed with supercharger or MASC, though thus far no Mad-IIC uses those, to my knowledge.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2015, 13:31:58 »
They're good
The original is probably the best.  I like the 3 a lot (particularly post Reaving when I can swap in an improved missile launcher).  The 2 is good but it's a different animal than the others.  It wants to fight close and maul face to face.
The 5 is good too, nice mobility and good punch

To the patient go the spoils

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2015, 16:14:04 »
Love the Marauder IIC . . . I have used it in campaigns as part of a Clan secondline force.  I wish we had seen more of it appearing in the IS like the Sharks/Foxes selling Warhammer IICs . . . both form a solid solid secondline force that I am not sure any of the Clan specific options can really outdo post Reaving.  Wolves have the Night Wolf (eh), but shine with the Tundra Wolves . . . sort of the same but smaller, I just think the BV is higher.  Bears?  Koadiks are fun but against I think they concentrate their secondlines in the heavies, all much smaller with less punch . . . but more Bear-like maneuverability.  Falcons?  Flamberge, Battlemaster C, and then into the heavies . . . the TBolt IIC can sort of mimic the Warhammer IIC & MAD IIC 2 but still comes up short with EXPLODING arms.

Post 3090, I wish it was being sold to the IS like the Warhammer IIC series was . . .

The MAD IIC 3 is also fun since you have a rack throwing ER ATMs further than anything else.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2015, 19:51:58 »
Should be plenty of MAD IIC's on both sides of the blockade.  Everyone seems to make them or have them

To the patient go the spoils

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2015, 20:18:36 »
Really?  I do not remember seeing too many mentioned in the fiction, the Warhammer IIC yes and specifically the 4.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2015, 23:26:10 »
The Marauder IICs are still being produced by the IS Clans (though presumably the later variants). Though unlike the Warhammer IICs, the Marauders are being kept close to the Clans.

So in production, but not being sold around the IS.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2015, 01:04:17 »
Considering the Cygnus and Hellstar are on the open market, I doubt many tears will be shed.

If your looking for a 5/8 energy boat, the Sphinx does the job frighteningly well. As for IS, Major Buck Tripp of the Thumpers mercenary group swapped the engine on his Awesome 8Q for a XL for a 5/8 moment profile. I don't care who you are, a Awesome 8Q that moves like a Timber Wolf is a scary thing for all the right reasons :D 
« Last Edit: 05 July 2015, 01:06:16 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2015, 01:14:02 »
Yeah, but the Hellstar is a bit more blah . . . I loved piloting my Marauder IIC in Ghost Bear Legacy and it is a more challenging ride.
Colt Ward

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2015, 01:54:22 »
I prefer Mad IIC myself, just making a logistics reference for those who see the MUL as a bible. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Register