Author Topic: TRO 2866: Rise of the Scavengers - Complete .pdf  (Read 17577 times)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
TRO 2866: Rise of the Scavengers - Complete .pdf
« on: 17 September 2015, 11:46:10 »
I've just unleashed the Beta version of my fan produced, unofficial, unsanctioned, but perhaps not unappreciated, TRO 2866:  Rise of the Scavengers.  Whether or not I'll go back at it and give it proper edit remains to be seen.  I never got around to it with my two novels, but you never know. 

In any case, I appreciate comments, suggestions, criticisms, and whatever else.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bs-p7nTybeeOlc_woJek6Xhue5a3khpg

« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 10:49:17 by Sigil »

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
Re: TRO 2866: Rise of the Scavengers
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2015, 11:52:27 »
really liked it on my quick inspection

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2015, 15:17:16 »
Very well made, i like how you detailed factories, parts of mechs for possible objective raids.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2015, 21:18:14 »
SQUEE!

NEW FAN PROJECT!  GIMMIE!

Thank you!

*edit

...And this is your BETA?  Jeez.  Very good work - better than most of the fan projects I collect, easily Good/Professional.  One question, though - I recognize MWO screenshots, canon TRO pencil art, what I think is MW: Living Legends, but where did you get the company logos?  The House books?  And from where else?

I'll be uploading this to the dropbox file and putting it on the list of battletech fanbooks thread.  I think its going to be popular!
« Last Edit: 17 September 2015, 21:40:57 by Red Pins »
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2015, 21:55:47 »
There is a stupid amount of research behind the curtain of this little project.  The vast majority of the company logos are from the original FASA House handbook series but I confess there are a few companies that lacked a canonical logo.  One such company was Argile Technologies of Skye.  In that case I generated the logo myself.  Shhh... don't tell anyone.  >:D

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2015, 23:28:46 »
Oh.  ...Sure...   : )  I wish mine will look as good, but while I can lie like a rug I don't do art well.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Fragger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2015, 14:31:33 »
Great work! I cant even begin to imagine how long that research took you.

And I love your Jagermech variant so so much.  O0

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2015, 14:33:40 »
Thanks Sigil, look forward to reading it.

I love well put together fan project.  8)
« Last Edit: 19 September 2015, 19:12:03 by Cidwm »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2015, 18:16:36 »
Just finished reading it.
Loved the artwork, and some of the designs were interesting.
The Shadowhawk actually becoming very useful.
Great work again Sigil. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Re: TRO 2866: Rise of the Scavengers - Complete .pdf
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2015, 12:00:11 »

I've now finished with this project.  I'm sure there is more than a few typos or inconsistencies, but I'm now through with it unless there is some kind of huge outpouring of support that might rekindle my enthusiasm. 

Back when I was in high school, some 25 years ago now, and reading the original TRO: 3025, I fell in love with BattleTech.  After devouring it repeatedly, I had a thought that I'm sure all of us have had and consequently I created a spiral notebook full of reworked 3025 designs which I entitled, in typical high school fashion, "Honest John's Refits."  The idea, back then, was a company specializing in refitting old BattleMechs. 

Where that lovely little notebook ended up, I have no idea.

Fast forward to today, and I have completed the circle I began a quarter century ago.  My own TRO based on all the old standard BattleMechs and set immediately before the outbreak of the Third Succession War.  It took much longer to complete than I had originally anticipated.  I kept just saying to myself, "Oh ya, I've gotta do the Shadow Hawk.  And oh, wouldn't it be cool to rework a salvaged Thorn!  And what about the Chameleon?"

It is styled directly on the first run TRO: 3025, as opposed to the much slicker looking TROs currently bring produced, but really that was intentional.  It's my tribute to the original TRO in both spirit and looks.

Here's hoping you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed seeing my own private little dream realized. 

Feedback, errata, observations, comments, etc are all welcome.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bs-p7nTybeeOlc_woJek6Xhue5a3khpg
« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 10:49:43 by Sigil »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2015, 22:40:12 »
Thank you again for finishing this book, it really a great book to have for campaign where you want your players to live off land during really bad time in history.  Having basic staples with some "new" refit variants great.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2015, 22:50:40 »
 O0 nice!  looking forward to reading this!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #12 on: 07 December 2015, 23:08:13 »
Thanks
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

DaddyHolby

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2015, 13:04:55 »
Great job Sigil!

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2015, 11:40:36 »
Great job.  This was a very good read.  O0

Zinmar

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2019, 20:02:31 »
One thing I like is that one of the initial images you posted I commissioned Spooky777 to draw it for me. My character had a dropshuttle and we were ambushed at a jump point. My character had some of the PAL armor instead of mechs. We were running a non-mech campaign and it was a blast. Sadly the game ended from the GM moving for work but until that happened it was fun. I got Spooky to draw this for me before it died. The knight you see on the dropshuttle was our unit emblem. I called us the Knight Templars and we were building a good reputation. This campaign happened about 5 years before the clans arrived and we were operating on the Davion/Kurita border mainly. Really cool seeing the image someplace other then my wallpaper.  :thumbsup:

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2019, 20:18:45 »
spent the last ten minutes looking at it... my first impression?  HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2019, 07:05:59 »
spent the last ten minutes looking at it... my first impression?  HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was actually the genesis for the later TRO: 3028 project.  I tried to talk an artist into creating custom art for each of the "Scavenger" 'Mechs but ultimately failed and was forced to recycle (another great FASA tradition).  I've been meaning to add my "History of the Industrial 'Mech" to this TRO as well since I had to pull it out of a different fan work of mine. 

It's actually my favorite project as it features my own creative designs, especially the ones in the back, i.e., Captain “Wild Bill” Remington's Awesome "Buckshot".

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2019, 17:25:19 »
If you ever decide to take another whack at it, Plog does fantastic work on commission... It won't be cheap, but hey, artists deserve to be paid for their work.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2019, 04:26:38 by Daryk »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2019, 17:30:11 »
it's good source for people want play a campaign during the hell-raising Second Succession War period.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 31 March 2019, 00:46:27 »
I especially like the way mech designs were subdivided by generations.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #21 on: 31 March 2019, 00:55:39 »
Always great getting my hands on another fan TRO! Thank'ee kindly! :thumbsup:

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 31 March 2019, 09:48:30 »
I added "Appendix: IndustrialMech History" to the TRO: 2866 as well as cursory set of .pdf "bookmarks" for easier electronic navigation of the document.

IndustrialMechs are, in my experience, an often overlooked unit in the BattleTech Universe.  Ironically, they don't really come into focus until the Dark Age.  Nonetheless, there are plenty of pre Dark-Age IndustrialMechs.  You will see as full a canon list of IndustrialMechs as I could unearth :)

Enjoy!

P.S.  This made a brief appearance in an earlier version of TRO: 3028 before I cut it for space. I'm thrilled to find a place to park this nice bit of research.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 31 March 2019, 11:16:31 »
cool.  I love the workmechs.  I think they are a key addition for any pre-3030 fights

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 31 March 2019, 17:24:20 »
Oh, an update?  Where can I download this, the link in the first post?

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 31 March 2019, 17:45:26 »
Oh, an update?  Where can I download this, the link in the first post?

Yes  :)  I maintain the link from the original post.  Just makes it easier to maintain and easier for people to find.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 01 April 2019, 01:03:39 »
Ah, thank you for your hard work - I love fan products more than canon ones now!  So creative!

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2020, 12:56:28 »
Wow top notch work on this! Many of these designs will se my table top games.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 28 March 2020, 13:00:58 »
Would love to see a 3145 version. New scavenger age!

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 31 March 2020, 10:38:32 »
Wow top notch work on this! Many of these designs will se my table top games.

Thx!  2866 was my first fan-produced product and paved the way for the later 3028 and 3049 TROs.  That said, 2866 is a personal favorite of mine since it contains my own personal designs ;)  Happy to know you enjoyed them!