Author Topic: Any Kingfisher fans?? <Kingfisher X Build>  (Read 4386 times)

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
Any Kingfisher fans?? <Kingfisher X Build>
« on: 26 September 2015, 16:26:38 »
I've always wanted to tackle the Kingfisher, and free it from it's ugly hips. The first order of business, though was
actually finding my favorite configuration to build. After much debate, I settled on the 'X' since I happened to have
a few critical parts necessary for the bash, and I enjoy the weapons loadout. Especially, for a Clan zombie...

First step-- lose those hips!

This is the cutting paths I took with the original miniature. In addition to removing both legs, I also cut-off a small
portion of the codpiece area to make it flat, and ready to accept a new hip piece.

These are the cuts I will make to remove the feet from the original legs.

So, I went though many cutting tools before finding a very nice jewelers saw. Take my word for it, all the others are
terrible. Save yourself a lot of trouble, and buy a decent jewelers saw. I can't tell you how much time I would have
saved over the years if I would have started with one. <the one in the back is the one you want, NOT this one>

Alright, so on to the replacement legs. Originally, I was just cutting the legs off and mounting them on a new hip
piece from another miniature. However, I always seem to get distracted while building, and this can sometimes lead
to picking up random parts to test fit. It often doesn't work, but in this case I found a perfect set of legs for this build
that I will go ahead and swap in. I begin cutting the legs from the Wakazashi into the parts I will need for the Kingfisher.
I also cut off the right leg from the hip, as there was an extra bit on this side pushing the leg farther out from the hip
than I wanted.

Here you can see some of the work I did to get the left arm. I started with two Warhawk 'H' arms. Then cut the barrel
from one...

I then glued it to the other two. I later went and added a plastic bit behind the tirld laser to make it look like it
belonged. At this point, I also added on the LRM 20 to the RA, and the tip of a plastic Hellbringer's arm to the
CT for the ERPPC>

Rear view, showing the Heavy Laser, and also the right arm. For this, I simply cut off the end of the existing
RA gun, and glued on a spare LRM 20 I had.

Then, I went-on to pin the entire miniature together. I still need to add a bit of brownstuff to some of the gaps
before painting. I think that the Wakazashi legs were a nice find, though. They make it look more like the original
artwork, and like what I've always imagined a Kingfisher to represent on the battlefield. I hope that you like it, and
that perhaps I've make this simple enough to copy or inspire your own Kingfisher conversion. Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: 26 September 2015, 16:30:09 by IAMCLANWOLF »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Any Kingfisher fans?? <Kingfisher X Build>
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2015, 16:37:16 »
Definitely inspired!

I'm finishing painting up a Kingfisher H. Thought long & hard about what to do with the legs; my razor saw wouldn't be flexible enough to demount the hips the way you did, so I ended up separating the left foot and doing some minor bending/repose. I think it was Siberian-Troll who demounted the legs, moved them closer together, then rehipped them higher.

It looks great, and will look better painted, so don't get me wrong. Just I think if you'd taken the sides off the top of the hips, so they were less bulked out at the connection point, it might have looked more like the original.

Re-use of the feet is brilliant though!

W
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jrvk777

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2015, 16:42:33 »
Great work! O0 Hope to see it painted soon...

What paint scheme are you planning to do for it?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2015, 16:46:34 »
Awesome work Justin! You are a truly awesome basher.

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2015, 16:55:57 »
It's a treat to see a step-by-step like this.  Thanks for posting this, 'WOLF.
I use a jeweler's saw like that (in the back ground) for torso twists and reposing arms and legs. It's indispensable.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2015, 17:46:13 »
That is spectacular  :). Really, really well done. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2015, 17:47:52 »
Nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2015, 17:56:13 »
Thanks guys. Worktroll is the one who got me back to doing step-by-step pics, so thank him for that.

As for the paint scheme, honestly, I have no clue. Perhaps The Shadow Wolves (Beta Galaxy) colors?

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2015, 18:21:58 »
  Awesome work. Oddly enough it looks more like a Rampage than a Kingfisher. A big improvement. And your suggestion regarding the jeweller's saw is golden. A good saw is a big difference.

I have several nitpicks... the feet are too different. The Kingfisher lacks "talons" like the Wakizashi. Cutting them and replacing them with smaller bits could be a good idea.

Also, the right arm shoulder assembly looks too empty. The joint doesn't "flow" like the rest of the miniature and it just looks like a glued part from other place. Of course, adding superglue in the zone or a small metal bit could solve it. It is pretty easy.

Finally, the right arm is too thin for the LRM launcher. A small piece of plastic or metal to make the part behind the launcher bulkier could solve this.

It is weird because, despite all the criticism, you have achieved the notable feat of making a Kingfisher look good. Congratulations! O0
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2015, 21:53:49 »
Looks great
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2015, 01:13:43 »
  I have several nitpicks... the feet are too different. The Kingfisher lacks "talons" like the Wakizashi. Cutting them and replacing them with smaller bits could be a good idea.

um, aside from the heels, the feet are the original Kingfisher feet (unless you were referring to the heels)
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2015, 03:43:47 »
  Awesome work. Oddly enough it looks more like a Rampage than a Kingfisher.

Exactly what i thought. If you hadn't posted the progress, i wouldn't have seen the Kingfisher in the result.
The hip make him very different and i'm not sure, if i like that. But for the weapon modifications your mod is great.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2015, 04:12:42 »
Thanks for sharing! O0

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2015, 05:50:19 »
um, aside from the heels, the feet are the original Kingfisher feet (unless you were referring to the heels)

Yes, I was refering to the heels. Anyway, it is a great work.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2015, 07:59:00 »
I am impressed! O0

Nine_Iron88

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 27 September 2015, 12:55:53 »
The normal Kingfisher is so stiff looking; all the great weapon mods aside, the new striding pose is so much more dynamic.  Does slightly resemble a Rampage/Novacat (in the left arm mostly), but I think it's great work.  Can't wait to see it painted.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."  -Aleksandr Kerensky

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2015, 13:53:20 »
Reading what GoD said, I'm also wondering about the right arm assembly compared to the left. Looking at the art work you posted it would seem like the upper right arm should be a little "bulkier" instead of the thin "tube" connecting the shoulder assembly to the LRM launcher? I'm no expert at all, but the upper right arm just seems a little thin.

Otherwise, I like the new pose and use of the Wakazashi legs. The conversion kinda reminds me of a Rampage with that nose/torso gun. Also, I'd be remiss in not saying this thing is frigging awesome looking!

« Last Edit: 27 September 2015, 17:56:05 by Knightmare »
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2015, 14:24:51 »
Looks like a whole ton of work to get this done, but... man, it was worth it. This is just fantastic. I've got a Kingfisher, but never have wanted another one due to being such a dumpy miniature (despite my love of it on the record sheet). This? I'd buy a few of these from IWM and think nothing of it if this was the sculpt sold.

Very well done indeed. Can I ask about the difficulty you have with the jewelers saw? You removed the half-base at the feet, and I'm curious if that was challenging or not. (I'm terrible with those things)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2015, 09:33:05 »

I'm not sure I understand. The Wakizashi has normal box-like feet that taper into a blunt point. The Kingfisher has the talons. This is
why I cut the feet off of the Wakizashi, and replaced them with the talons from the Kingfisher.

Reading what GoD said, I'm also wondering about the right arm assembly compared to the left. Looking at the art work you posted it would seem like the upper right arm should be a little "bulkier" instead of the thin "tube" connecting the shoulder assembly to the LRM launcher? I'm no expert at all, but the upper right arm just seems a little thin.

Yeah, I think you two are onto something here. I plan to revisit the arm, and bulk it up some. Also, as previously mentioned-- all of the
gaps will be filled with brownstuff. I suppose I should have done this before pics, but got excited to share.

Can I ask about the difficulty you have with the jewelers saw? You removed the half-base at the feet, and I'm curious if that was challenging or not. (I'm terrible with those things)

Actually, the jeweler's saw cuts though this stuff like butter. Seriously, it cuts as if it were plastic. What I was talking about above
was not using the saw I hold up in the picture. I used this one, and probably three others before discovering the joy of using a decent
jeweler's saw. If I can save anyone some trouble (for me it was years, and years of using other, less capable cutting tools) then please
just go get the right tool for the job as soon as you have some extra cash.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm glad it's an interesting conversion.