Author Topic: (Answered) Air Defense Arrow vs. Airborne Targets  (Read 2670 times)

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
(Answered) Air Defense Arrow vs. Airborne Targets
« on: 01 October 2015, 20:17:12 »
Hi,

Following up on the previous  Air Defense Arrow question.

Alpha Strike page 76 states that Air-Defense Arrow IV can be used against "any airborne targets in the Central Zone".  I always assumed this meant fighters and aerospace units.  After all, on page 23 under Air Vehicles it does state that "air vehicles are not considered true aerospace units...are thus not governed by the same rules".  However, reading some other passages makes me wonder what "rules" this refers too and I was hoping someone could clarify.

Alpha Strike, page 31 under Wing-in-Ground Effect Movement, the WiGE is able to "take off".  It is also described as "airborne" in the same paragraph.

Alpha Strike page 37, on the To-Hit Modifiers Table under Target Type Modifiers, air vehicles like VTOLS and WiGE are described as, "Airborne VTOL or WiGE +1".

Alpha Strike Companion, under Land-Air Battlemechs, under Target Movement Modifiers, page 43, "LAMs in Fighter and AirMech mode are considered airborne units for targeting purposes, with attacks against AirMech-mode LAMs treated as an attack against an airborne BattleMech,".

Am I reading into the rules or can Air-Defense Arrow artillery rounds be used against any "airborne" units?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edit!

Under the errata thread found this which answers my question, unless I'm mistaken:

② Common Game Terms p.8
Insert the following new entry:

Airborne – Any unit that is in the air, whether an aerospace unit or a vehicle such as a WiGE or VTOL, counts as an airborne unit (though a WiGE unit must have taken off to count as airborne). Units that are taxiing, have landed, or are jumping are not considered airborne.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2015, 09:00:46 by nckestrel »
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Air Defense Arrow vs. Airborne Targets
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2015, 09:00:20 »
Yes, all those (WiGE or VTOL with elevation, aerospace fighter that has not landed, etc).

However, the Air Defense Arrow also adds in the Central Zone.  This does not mean on the ground map.  The Central Zone is over the ground map. It means a unit that moves on the Radar Map and is in the Central Zone (and therefore has a flight path on the ground map).  A WiGE or VTOL is never in the Central Zone, they are always exclusively on the ground map. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
Re: (Answered) Air Defense Arrow vs. Airborne Targets
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2015, 23:11:07 »
Sir,

You start off with "Yes, all those" but then the "However" part sounds like no.

Air Defense Arrow does not work on Airborne units on the ground map?

Mike

Yes, all those (WiGE or VTOL with elevation, aerospace fighter that has not landed, etc).

However, the Air Defense Arrow also adds in the Central Zone.  This does not mean on the ground map.
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Answered) Air Defense Arrow vs. Airborne Targets
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2015, 05:39:06 »
The ground map has nothing to do with the air defense arrow.  It references the Central Zone.  A unit is in the Central Zone if moved in to the Central Zone on the Radar Map this turn.  VTOLs and WiGEs are never on the Radar Map, so they can't be in the Central Zone of the Radar Map.

If an aerospace fighter (or dropship or conventional fighter, fixed wing support vehicle) was on the Radar Map and moved to the Central Zone this turn, it would have a flight path on the ground map and the air defense arrow could attack it.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2015, 00:30:14 by Xotl »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register