Author Topic: Retractable Blades: Lost tech?  (Read 8264 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Retractable Blades: Lost tech?
« Reply #30 on: 08 October 2015, 06:00:11 »
I guess that does mean you can use retrac blades as "bayonets" of a sort, slinging them directly under a gun without the need for LA and hand actuators.
I'd love to see one put in a hand-held weapon for BattleMechs just for visual. :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 08 October 2015, 07:08:11 »
I'd love to see one put in a hand-held weapon for BattleMechs just for visual. :D
Probably not legal to add one to a hand-held weapon. Would be cool for sure.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #32 on: 08 October 2015, 07:21:59 »
Can't figure out what they're for in industrial use. Are they meant to be like a knife for 'mechs that are going to be moving stuff around but may occasionally need to cut something?

I think they're just like 'Mech sized machetes for cutting through jungle growth, heavy forests, and plastic clamshell packaging.

(If so, i'm kind of surprised no one has made "hand-held knife" for 'mechs that can be magnetically carried at waist/hip. Seems like more practical option. Of course, since hand-held weapons never gained any popularity in BTU, this may apply to "knives" as well.)

'Mechs aren't as dextrous as you and I are. They have a hard time with the motor control you'd need to get the knife in hand. Try cutting a potato while wearing gauntlets from plate armor to see what you'd be dealing with. Sure there are exceptions (Morgan Kell, Kai Allard-Liao) but overall it's probably easier for Average Joe to use an arm mounted knife than fumbling around at the waist of his 'Mech trying to juggle the knife.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 08 October 2015, 07:41:43 »
I think they're just like 'Mech sized machetes for cutting through jungle growth, heavy forests, and plastic clamshell packaging.

'Mechs aren't as dextrous as you and I are. They have a hard time with the motor control you'd need to get the knife in hand. Try cutting a potato while wearing gauntlets from plate armor to see what you'd be dealing with. Sure there are exceptions (Morgan Kell, Kai Allard-Liao) but overall it's probably easier for Average Joe to use an arm mounted knife than fumbling around at the waist of his 'Mech trying to juggle the knife.

Pretty sure it has been established most hand-equipped 'mechs can pick up humans without harming them. Don't think dexterity is an issue.

At least, it isn't my head-canon, where 'mechs are reasonably flexible and agile. (I hate MWO-like stiff walking tank portrayal of 'mechs, might as well have actual tanks rather than humanoid robots if the dexterity offered by a humanoid form is not used.)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #34 on: 08 October 2015, 10:46:52 »
Pretty sure it has been established most hand-equipped 'mechs can pick up humans without harming them.

It is.  It's shown up multiple times in the novels.

At least, it isn't my head-canon, where 'mechs are reasonably flexible and agile. (I hate MWO-like stiff walking tank portrayal of 'mechs, might as well have actual tanks rather than humanoid robots if the dexterity offered by a humanoid form is not used.)

Mechs aren't supposed to be as stiff and clunky as the video games make them, they're officially about halfway between the walking-tank of the video games and the agile-as-a-human portrayal of most Japanese mecha- reasonable manual dexterity but they can't bounce around like they only weigh 100 kilos, either.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 08 October 2015, 17:37:11 »
Mech arms are perfectly precise and dextrous within their designed range of movement, multiple sources state this. They possibly even compensate for pilot clumsiness to some degree, if that was ever needed.

It is, however, rather obvious that not all mech arms are capable of a human arm's full range of movement. For example take the Awesome's left arm. It has a hand, but with that armour shield, it'll never be able to raise that arm up sideways, it's shoulder is basically an axle joint, not a ball joint (in the words of the Terminator: Why didn't god use more ball joints when he made humans?).

The ability to stow a weapon on its person(?) might simply not be an efficient design for mechs. The quickdraw with the lift hoist arrangement from one of the XTROs seems to require extra equipment to do so, it stands to reason most designs would.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #36 on: 08 October 2015, 21:44:08 »
Retractable blades are like Mass Drivers: Most of the time they don't do much, but every once in a while the stars line up, the Elder Gods smile upon you(or at least you hope it's a smile under all that writhing), and the results are hilarious.
Whenever Weirdo talks about random technology, comedy gold seems to happen.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 09 October 2015, 00:56:36 »
That's why everyone wants to pull a "Weirdo" at least once in their life. He deserves his own smiley  O0

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 09 October 2015, 16:37:54 »
The retractable blade is kind of fun.. yeah, it is not as efficient as a punch, and yes, you really need the TO rules to make it effective.... but it can be a fun thing to consider.
It has worked a couple of times for me --- as noted above, and once, managing to crit both gauss ammo bins on a fairly undamaged opponent, effectively taking the Gauss out of the battle....
Outside of that, it is really just a punch.... not something you want to try and build a whole combat force around.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #39 on: 10 October 2015, 05:24:31 »
Anyone ever feel the urge to build a WVR with Retractable Blades in each arm?

You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #40 on: 10 October 2015, 07:04:50 »
That's why everyone wants to pull a "Weirdo" at least once in their life. He deserves his own smiley  O0

He has one, it's just so amazing that the human eye can't comprehend it properly, so it looks like nothing is there. Next time you see a cat staring randomly at something that isn't really there, it's looking at a Weirdo smiley.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 10 October 2015, 11:46:50 »

What are you saying, bub?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 10 October 2015, 11:49:36 »
You have already got one Wolverine with a pair of Claws.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #43 on: 10 October 2015, 12:28:23 »
Most melee weapons added were probably already in use at Solaris and just not utilized by real military units.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #44 on: 11 October 2015, 02:05:53 »
Most melee weapons added were probably already in use at Solaris and just not utilized by real military units.

The Kungsarmee would like to have a word :p
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #45 on: 12 October 2015, 10:59:20 »
There's a Legacy variant that has claws on each hand...
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #46 on: 12 October 2015, 22:57:39 »
When you play these you have to allow the TacOps shank.  It's glorious when it happens!
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Register