Author Topic: Mech of the Week on New Years day on New years day! - Hellhound  (Read 16958 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
The Conjurer – Aka Hellhound aka REDACTED

The Conjurer is basically the Wolverine IIC and as such it…*sounds of the door breaking down* THIS IS THE WATCH! GET ON YOUR KNEES! ON YOUR KNEES! *Muffled thud, the sound of sirens and a body being dragged away.*

That writer has been dismissed and I am his replacement.  The Conjurer or to give it it’s Spheroid name of Hellhound is a COMPLETELY AUTHENTIC DESIGN AND NOT BASED ON ANY PREVIOUS DESIGN OR MACHINE that was developed after the formation of the Clans and was first seen in 2829 after being produced by Clan Nova Cat. 

Whilst NOT a IIC design the Hellhound is generally lumped with them and was first seen in the Inner Sphere as a Garrison and second line machine.  When first introduced it was of course a front line combat machine but was rapidly eclipsed by the introduction of Omni-Mech’s and like many standard Battlemech’s the Hellhound was consigned to Garrison and Solhama units.

At 50 tonnes its rather large for a NOT IIC like design and unlike its REDACTED and other IIC type designs it loses weight.  Like many Clan second line machines it features an endo-steel skeleton and Ferro-fibrous armour for weight saving but has a standard engine (this does change in variants and will be mentioned where needed) to keep costs down as well as be easier to maintain in the field.  The engine can still propel the machine to 96kph making it as fast as the much feared Stormcrow.

Despite this, like many Clan Garrison machines the Hellhound is a fearsome foe for an Inner Sphere MechWarrior to face due to the advantages of Clan weaponry on an agile and mobile platform. 

Design

As mentioned the Hellhound uses Endo-steel and Ferro-fibrous compounds to save weight whilst protecting it with 8.5 tonnes of plate, the standard engine also makes the machine irritatingly difficult to disable.  The only fitted equipment are 6 jump jets which can throw the 50 tonne machine into 180-meter-long leaps and when combined with its high speed makes the Hellhound quite capable of running down any of the Inner Sphere’s 55 tonne machines that are in common service across the Clan front. 

The 8.5 tonnes or armour gives it a protection profile as follows

9/19/23/19 (5/7/5)
14/14/24/24

The combination of protection, mobility and firepower all make the Hellhound a nasty hunter killer and has made a Mech that has stood the test of time and has seen a surprising number of variants, although the future of the Hellhound does look bleak. 
With its main builders, Clan Nova Cat now all but extinct and it no doubt being viewed as a tainted design by the Homeworld’s Clans I doubt there are any manufacturing plants that can produce this Mech in existence.  If this is true then the dwindling number of Hellhounds are the last of their kind unless the Shark’s got their hands on the plans when helping the Nova Cat’s out or the plants to produce it were captured by the DCMS.

Variants

Standard – The original killer that was based in part on the REDACTED a popular machine before the Exodus.  Designed to be easy to maintain and with a decent heat curve that does not punish its pilots the Standard’s main armament is a Large Pulse Laser mounted in a rifle like assembly on the right arm.  This gives the Mech an unlimited supply of long range and accurate fire as the Clan Large Pulse Laser is a brutally efficient weapon for dismembering other machines and is useful on a second line machine who’s pilots are often inferior to the front line Star’s and Clusters.

Supporting the big cannon are a pair of ER Medium lasers, simple but effective firepower which allow the Hellhound to dance around at longer ranges than equivalent Inner Sphere weapons whilst finally a pair of Streak SRM-2’s drawing from a shared tonne of ammo.  The paired Streaks might seem a bit odd but I’d say they are useful, if you fired a SSRM-4 and it didn’t lock then you fire nothing, firing two smaller launchers give you a higher chance of causing some damage.  The ten double heatsinks fitted can be overwhelmed but not enough to discourage extensive weapons use.

2 – A MASSIVE rebuild by the Nova Cats who were in dire straits (no not the band) after the first Ghost Bear-Combine War.  Built in part with assistance from Clan Diamond Shark the Hellhound 2 turns the second line machine into a front line Battlemech that became a common sight in Nova Cat service.  The design has been so extensively re-worked you could call it a brand new machine.  Out goes the 300 rated engine and in goes a far more potent 350 rated XL engine to kick the speed up to 119kph whilst the jump jets were increased to allow for 210 meter leaps. (7/11/7 in game terms).

The weapons were also remodelled and an additional half tonne of armour saw the Hellhound 2’s profile also get completely re-worked to look nothing like the Standard variant whilst also giving it the most protection a Mech its size can carry. 

For its main punch the 2 relies on a meaty ATM-9 which is fed by an ample 3 tonne ammo bin allowing for full use of the warhead types used by the flexible launcher.  A pair of medium pulse lasers replace the ER Mediums and SRM’s whilst the electronics suite has been reworked to fit a targeting computer to tie all three weapons together.  As with the standard the 2 is fitted with 10 double heatsinks and is very hard to overheat. 
The mobile hunter killer has now become even more mobile and is quite capable of running down many light Mech’s in Inner Sphere service whilst the threat of 9 HE ATM rounds into the back make the 2 a fearsome backstabber with the speed to do just that.  Still 3 tonnes of ammo is rather limited and you will probably have to pick and choose what you want rather than load up with a tonne each of HE, ER and Standard rounds.

3 – More a reworking of the Standard the 3 is a generalist machine and seems more like a weapons swap to try new toys more than anything.  An ER Large Laser provides the main punch, letting it reach out and slap someone at long range whilst also being useful up close.  But that’s what the secondary weapons are for.  A pair of Heavy Medium Lasers give a nice armour/face melting punch and the 3 retains the targeting computer of the 2 making this thing surprisingly accurate.  Three extra heatsinks are added but even so this is a cool running machine and it can happily fire a full alpha and not generate a blip on the heat scale as long as you don’t move.

4 – THE city fighting/garrison version of the Hellhound 2 the 4 retains an XL engine but its downgraded to a 300 engine rate dropping speed to 96kph whilst reducing the jump jets by one as well for a 6/9/6 movement curve.  The 4 is built seemingly with combined arms and infantry opponents in mind.  The main anti-Mech and battle armour punch comes from a quartet of Heavy Medium lasers which the machines 14 double heatsinks struggle to cool.  Backing up the laser battery is a pair of Streak SRM-6’s which can be effective against Mech’s, Battle armour and tanks whilst a pair of Light machine guns can reduce infantry to chopped meat.  To tie it all off and put a pretty pink bow on it a targeting computer links all the weapons together for maximum squishy caramelisation whilst both ballistic weapon systems also share a tonne of ammo between them.  Whilst not great against Mech’s the 4 can still be a serious threat thanks to its close in firepower but its real job is turning battle armour and infantry into smears.

5 – The last variant and a kissing cousin of the 2 yet is far inferior a machine and is actually based on the Standard.  A pair of ATM-6’s gives it formidable firepower but this is firepower it simply can’t use. Each launcher is fed by a single tonne of ammo, which means that the flexibility of the ammo types gets thrown out the window as a pair of launchers will chew through a tonne of ammo in 5 shots meaning you have to double up on ammo which then renders the flexibility of the system moot and pointless.  Supporting the launchers are a pair of ER Medium Lasers which are great weapons but they can’t carry this variant and its woefully limited ammo supply.   A 300 rated standard engine move this variant at 96kph.

Thoughts

The Hellhound is a potent and dangerous machine in the right hands, the Standard version is still a lethal  killer of lights and mediums whilst its guns can also let it take a chunk out of bigger machines.  The 2 is a rock solid sand blaster and because of the more dispersed nature of its punch it can take some time to wear a foe down but 9 ATM’s are still a weapon you’d not want to get slapped too often by, especially if you’re a smaller machine that does not have the armour to spare or as happened more and more, in cases where Zell is long gone and the 2 can use its sandblasting ATM to fill holes ripped by other Mech’s.

The 3 is a good solid upgrade take on the I, trading versatility for close in punch so with those two its six of one, half a dozen of the other.  4 is built for close quarters fights and can do fearsome damage in a close in brawl whilst the 5 is really the only egg of the chassis. Its limited ammo supplies make it have very little effect in all but the shortest of battles and its remaining armament simply does not make up for the shortfall.

Variant 5 aside the Hellhound is a darn good remake of the Wolverine and.. oh Kerensky I didn’t mean it WAI… *TAZER SOUNDS*

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/f/fa/Hellhound.jpg  - Nothing to see here Citizen.  (The Unseen artwork for the Hellhound)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/e/e8/3055U_Conjurer.jpg  - A Hellhound II - Image not shown due to the HUGE size of it.

A Hellhound II as you can see its quite different from the original look. 

As always thoughts are most welcome.

And the Watch is watching you Citizen.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2016, 14:06:35 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Grey

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mech of the Week on New Years day on New years day! - Hellhound
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2016, 02:57:20 »
Ha, good start to the year, both in tone and quality of the article. :D

I'll admit I use the Conjurer quite a bit when using Clan garrison forces because it seems authentic, but I have a hard time liking it. Not that I have any idea why I don't like it.

But you've hit upon it's core strengths, it is nasty against anything it's own size or smaller and can be a real pain to anything else regardless.

Aunodin

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2016, 10:56:14 »
My first introduction to the hellhound was via mechwarrior 4 where it is one of my favorite mechs to use. A solid medium mech with enough firepower to hold up against a heavy. Plus the design for it is pretty good with the chicken walker legs and the two weapon mounts over its head.

(Image is rather large so putting in a hyperlink)
http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/34/33969/MechWarrior_4_Mercenaries-wallpaper.jpg

It honestly makes me regret that when I found the actual hellhound/conjurer that it was basically not the mechwarrior 4 version. While I understand the redesign was mainly to fit the skeletons of the chicken walkers, it got my hopes up for an actual TT version of it.

I still like the hellhound on the TT as it does provide the clans with a solid 2nd line unit and is still used up to 3085 at the very least, at least really heavily by the Jade Falcons

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2016, 11:31:53 »
I was the same MW4 was my first experience with the Hellhound easily one of my favourites its a good Mech in BT as well - nice article
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2016, 12:22:32 »
Good Article on a solid mech. Kudos.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #5 on: 01 January 2016, 15:49:04 »
My first introduction to the hellhound was via mechwarrior 4 where it is one of my favorite mechs to use. A solid medium mech with enough firepower to hold up against a heavy. Plus the design for it is pretty good with the chicken walker legs and the two weapon mounts over its head.

same, and i always wished they'd found a way to sneak the design into the game, because that is really one of my favorites.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 01 January 2016, 16:55:53 »
Huh, never knew about the 4 or 5 before now. The 4 looks especially interesting, I can't imagine how effective it would be against IS forces. Totally gonna take it out for a ride when I get the chance.

same, and i always wished they'd found a way to sneak the design into the game, because that is really one of my favorites.

Gotta agree.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #7 on: 01 January 2016, 17:05:33 »
It honestly makes me regret that when I found the actual hellhound/conjurer that it was basically not the mechwarrior 4 version.

It's funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. When I got MW4 Mercs and saw they had the Hellhound I got really excited....then I was like "WTF this isn't a Wolverine IIC at all!"

Although I do admit that...whatever the MW4 thing is, while it may not be a Conjurer, it is pretty badass looking and I wish it had made it into the TROs. It's certainly more deserving than any of the clickytech crap to be canonized.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #8 on: 01 January 2016, 20:50:55 »
The first TRO I ever got was 3055. The Conjurer immediately caught my eye, the sleek gundam-esque lines, the speed and firepower.... I always regretted that this was not a Ghost Bear second-line mech.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #9 on: 01 January 2016, 22:10:53 »
The first TRO I ever got was 3055. The Conjurer immediately caught my eye, the sleek gundam-esque lines, the speed and firepower.... I always regretted that this was not a Ghost Bear second-line mech.

Well, considering the way the Clans work, and considering how much the Bears eventually wail on the Cats, it's something EASILY justified in the Touman.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2016, 01:30:04 »
Talk about irony - the Hellhound was a near-perfect duplicate of my own Leo, but with a C-lgpl rather than ER-lgl.  It kind of annoyed me at first, then I realized I was doing something right.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2016, 06:11:12 »
I was actually thinking about putting that version of the Hellhound in as a possible reference but thought against it, shame really as it is a lovely looking take on it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2016, 13:52:21 »
Wouldn't the dual SSRM-2s on the original have allowed it to use Infernos under the rules at the time of its release, which a single SSRM-4 wouldn't have been able to do?

I haven't seen this mech used much: it never seems to get much attention thanks to the plethora of high powered omnimechs that the Clans have in the 50-55 tonnage bracket.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2016, 16:59:26 »
Yeah, it probably had the 2 SSRM2s for a lot of the same reasons other mechs at the time did the same thing.

IMO its a toss up whether the Vapor Eagle or Conjurer are the Wolverine IIC.  The Vape has the edge in that instance because of the weight being exactly right.  Heck, even the difference in the Clans it originates with helps . . . two Clans take on the old SLDF Wolverine.

I was also a fan of the looks for the Hellhound in MW4 and I really wanted to see it get included art-wise in a TRO somewhere.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2016, 17:03:17 »
Yeah, it probably had the 2 SSRM2s for a lot of the same reasons other mechs at the time did the same thing.

IMO its a toss up whether the Vapor Eagle or Conjurer are the Wolverine IIC.  The Vape has the edge in that instance because of the weight being exactly right.  Heck, even the difference in the Clans it originates with helps . . . two Clans take on the old SLDF Wolverine.

I was also a fan of the looks for the Hellhound in MW4 and I really wanted to see it get included art-wise in a TRO somewhere.

None of the first-gen IICs except the Jenner had the same weight as the originals though. Also, you have to admit the (original, not godawful reseen) art for the Conjurer matches a Wolverine IIC perfectly. Plus the weapon loadout is a near-perfect match for the WVR-6M variant, upgraded to Clan tech.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2016, 17:06:34 »
I can see it appearing/retconned as a Clan Solaris Mech.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2016, 02:37:17 »
Anytime I field a Clan second-line force, the Conjurer/Hellhound is in the mix.  Preferably with a Griffin IIC, Shadow Hawk IIC, and Horned Owl/Peregrine (which, let's face it, is the *real* Phoenix Hawk IIC).

cheers,

Gabe 

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2016, 02:46:59 »
Anytime I field a Clan second-line force, the Conjurer/Hellhound is in the mix.  Preferably with a Griffin IIC, Shadow Hawk IIC, and Horned Owl/Peregrine (which, let's face it, is the *real* Phoenix Hawk IIC).

cheers,

Gabe

*Watch Officers nearby put their stun sticks away*

Yep, its a good solid Mech, if it wasn't for the Omni bias of the Clans the Hellhound would do well in front line service as well.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2016, 18:13:17 »
Want a Hellhound in a front line unit?  Play Blood Spirit.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2016, 21:11:10 »
I've always liked the stats of the Hellhound since i first read it's entry in the original TRO:3055.  I wasn't exactly happy way the Hellhound 2 came out, with that ATM 9 on the right arm. The Miniature looks like i has a Refrigerator attached to it.   I do wish Hellhound 3 was given a canon images I could substitute it for the original, since it has a Heavy Large Laser that play the role of the original's rifle-like laser.

I have to agree that, the original image struck me as being basically Gundam without the head attached. 

Thanks again for your amusing article, marauder648, I didn't initially see it when was first posted so sorry for the late reply.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2016, 02:52:24 »
By the way, has anyone else noticed that the original unseen art for both the Wolverine and Conjurer depicts them with torso-mounted cockpits? That was one of the more jarring changes to the PP artwork, they turned the laser turret and comm stack on the Wolverine into a bubble canopy. I only recently noticed it on the Conjurer though. I don't have one of the original minis, so I had thought the shaded bit in the center of the "stomach" was a vent or something. Then I looked at it the other day and realized "oh crap, that's glass". Which I suppose makes the panel on the "head" a searchlight.
Kind of a dumb place to put the cockpit though, really. At least the Wolverine had the glass panels offset to the sides a bit so they weren't right on the center of mass--presumably pilot on one side and a jump seat for a tech on the other.
I guess the reseen art for the Conjurer makes more sense, although I'm with Wrangler on the refrigerator arm. That thing has got to go.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2016, 07:11:19 »
By the way, has anyone else noticed that the original unseen art for both the Wolverine and Conjurer depicts them with torso-mounted cockpits? That was one of the more jarring changes to the PP artwork, they turned the laser turret and comm stack on the Wolverine into a bubble canopy. I only recently noticed it on the Conjurer though. I don't have one of the original minis, so I had thought the shaded bit in the center of the "stomach" was a vent or something. Then I looked at it the other day and realized "oh crap, that's glass". Which I suppose makes the panel on the "head" a searchlight.
Kind of a dumb place to put the cockpit though, really. At least the Wolverine had the glass panels offset to the sides a bit so they weren't right on the center of mass--presumably pilot on one side and a jump seat for a tech on the other.
I guess the reseen art for the Conjurer makes more sense, although I'm with Wrangler on the refrigerator arm. That thing has got to go.

That's strange because the inspiration for the unseen Wolverine was the T10 Blockhead from the anime Fang of the Sun Dougram, and that anime almost exclusively uses head cockpits. The searchlight is the part with the grills in the middle where the hoses connect.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2016, 10:10:22 »
Well, the Wolverine always had its cockpit up on the top.  From one of the BT books[url=http://, not sure which.  And the original Dougram Blockhead had the same, with the ball turret just sort of blocking the view for the pilot (maybe that's why it's called that).

Check the 3025 art. Wolverine], not sure which.  And the original Dougram Blockhead had the same, with the ball turret just sort of blocking the view for the pilot (maybe that's why it's called that).
[/quote]

Check the 3025 art. [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/c/c6/Wolverine.jpg]Wolverine

Versus the Blockhead. Blockhead

The Wolvie torso is slightly different from its progenitor. Narrower head profile with armor where the window should be, and those two windows in the chest that don't even appear as blank panels in the original (complete with glass shine).

And the description in the TRO actually supports this. The laser ball turret originally had a 360 degree field of fire until they added the missile launcher and the tower for the comm system--which wouldn't make sense if the cockpit was there. Not to mention the "pinhead" head design depicted would make for a really tiny cockpit.

The 3050 art is unfortunately no help, as it shows neither windows in the head nor on the chest and the shading makes it ambiguous what the artist was trying to depict--not that that's unusual for TRO3050 art.

The original miniature sculpt looks like it could go either way. There's a bit more of a step in the head that might be a window, but the chest cutouts are there too.

FWIW I think I prefer the Blockhead's head design. If they were going to make changes from the original, it should've been to remove the ridiculous scope and forward handgrip from the autocannon, not fiddle with the cockpit.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2016, 10:55:00 »
I still want to know what the hell the Wolverine's lunchbox was.

Ghost_msl

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 06 January 2016, 15:13:27 »
Think it is a magazine for the autocannon.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 06 January 2016, 16:11:18 »
Maybe it was an actual Lunchbox. Provisions for the entire lance!
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #27 on: 06 January 2016, 21:10:06 »
Maybe it was an actual Lunchbox. Provisions for the entire lance!

Damn, I need to change one of my Mechs for the Battletech Forum Mercenary Regiment now!   :D
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #28 on: 06 January 2016, 22:20:28 »
Think it is a magazine for the autocannon.

I always thought so, since there seems to be a matching one on the side of the autocannon itself.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #29 on: 06 January 2016, 22:23:27 »
That's what you get when you recycle Japanese mecha artwork, since it seems like 99% of them all treat mechs like oversized infantry units with rifles and grenade launchers that they carry and reload externally.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman