Author Topic: Catapult  (Read 2122 times)

jskinny

• Private
Catapult
« on: 14 May 2016, 16:51:35 »
Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the IWM Catapult to the plastic one from the from the box set?  The box set version seems much smaller.

Thanks
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Catapult
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2016, 18:45:28 »
Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the IWM Catapult to the plastic one from the from the box set?  The box set version seems much smaller.
It is smaller than the other three metal IWM sculpts (1st, 2nd, and Limited Ed.)  It's the same as the Lance Pack/Beginner's Set version. The torso is from the 1st sculpt Catapult, and legs from the 2nd sculpt (modified quite a bit).  Whereas the limited edition, IIRC, is a modified 2nd sculpt body on top of modified 1st sculpt legs.

jskinny

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2016, 08:34:39 »
HMMM...Thanks.  To me it just doesn't look right.  Can't imagine that it's be able to throw more than a single salvo of missiles.  :(  I'm trying to do up a company of IS in plastic and wanted to include  Catapult but now I may need to move on.
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2016, 09:02:50 »
If you're going to be that picky, you might have a hard time finding plastic minis. ;) The 24 plastics in the boxed set (that are shared with the Alpha Strike lance packs) came from the metal Beginner's Sets.  Those sets were not designed to be paragons of scale--just something quick and easy to put down on the board for those who don't want to deal with the complexity of metal minis. Something better than cardboard cutouts. If you're looking for something more, give the metals a try.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2016, 10:08:31 »
I think the boxes scale pretty well to the body . . . especially since the -C1 only has a limited amount of reloads.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2016, 10:17:55 »
My first Catapult came out of the PlasTech boxed set. All other models look weedy by comparison.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Bartholomew bartholomew

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2016, 10:24:47 »
here, I have a plastic, one of the 2 metals, and a limited ed k4.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2016, 11:58:41 »
The K4 seems too tall but as there is no Atlas or other mech besides the Cats its hard to tell.  I like the middle one, it reminds me of the art/model for MCG.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2016, 13:53:50 »
The K4 seems too tall but as there is no Atlas or other mech besides the Cats its hard to tell.  I like the middle one, it reminds me of the art/model for MCG.
IMO, the K4 is too tall and the plastic is too short.  Proportions on them both are good, just not overall size. 1st sculpt's legs are a little too long. The 2nd sculpt is a copy of the MechCommander version, and proportions are way off on it. If you want what I feel is the correct size these days, drop the arms off of the current Mad Cat and widen the torso a hair.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2016, 17:12:57 »
Dunno, the 1st Cat does fit next to the Atlas, remember it makes up the volume the Atlas has in height with the projection of the torso.

The 2nd Cat I just like due to my fondness for MCG.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2016, 17:34:00 »
I may have to dig up pics, but I've found substituting DA legs very effective. Will have to dig up the photos, but I've used both DA Locust legs and DA Raven legs. With the Locust legs, I used the Catapult's torso & feet; with the Raven, I just used the entire lower torso, feet & legs.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2016, 18:00:14 »
Dunno, the 1st Cat does fit next to the Atlas, remember it makes up the volume the Atlas has in height with the projection of the torso.
But the proportions of the 1st Cat don't match the artwork. The stilts are too long. Reduce the legs by about 10% and they're close. It's still my favorite sculpt, though.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2016, 18:55:34 »
See, I do not think they are out of place . . . its the leg positions between the mini and the art that throws it.  It would be interesting to get a ruler and check ratios- I think its pretty close.
Colt Ward

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2016, 21:03:39 »
I don't think there are more than a handful of sculpts that match up to the Loose artwork, even after 30 years.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP