Author Topic: Best IS Battle Armor? (removed topic)  (Read 5117 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Best IS Battle Armor? (removed topic)
« on: 17 May 2016, 20:25:38 »
* removed topic *
« Last Edit: 20 May 2016, 16:15:56 by Black_Knyght »

sillybrit

• Major
Re: Best IS Battle Armor?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2016, 22:18:55 »
Assault: Hauberk - it's showing its age and is perhaps no longer the best performing, but the Hauberk set the standard of long range fire support suits. With mixed suits under consideration, the Fenrir II is very good, but quad, therefore sucks.
Heavy: Taranis - it was tough to decide between this and the Grenadier II, as both perform so well, but I do love the Mimetic/DWP combo, plus the Grenadier II is disgustingly filthy. Depending upon the day I'm asked, I could easily opt for the flexibility of the Grenadier II instead.
Medium: Cavalier II - unfair, because the majority of you won't know its stats, but [borat]is nice[/borat]. If I was to avoid Clantech, I'm split between the Amazon and Infiltrator Mk II in terms of performance and concept. Both have their cosmetic issues, but overall I prefer the looks of the Infiltrator Mk II.
Light: Achileus - older than the Hauberk, but who cares, it's still excellent.
PA(L): Nighthawk - because it was the first and I could use them in the Star League era against the rebel scum.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2016, 10:22:47 »
Are the Jihad era WoB designs fair game for this discussion?  They're built to an optimized standard that is otherwise rarely used by devs.

Starmage21

• Corporal
  • full of win
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2016, 14:29:22 »
I've been pretty happy with the Longinus in a "why do I need anything else?" kind of way when it comes to IS battle armor.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2016, 14:57:56 »
Best overall is the Amazon, daughter of the IS Standard.

For BV, I like the GDL Scout and Kage . . . simply because the movement allows them to do the most devastating attack a BA can, the Leg Attack, easier than others.

As a advocate of strategically mobile play, I generally leave the assault suits alone though I think a few have niches.

Heavy- Fenrir . . . 4 movement is pretty nice

Medium-  Amazon like I said, though I like the fluff on the Trinity.  Void follows closely on the Amazon

Light- Kage for the special reasons, Achelius is the trooper in this class and the Djinn is noteworthy.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2016, 17:59:07 »
WHY was this post moved?

Once AGAIN, a moderator has made the entirely arbitrary decision to pointlessly move, and thus kill, a post to an area that has NOTHING to do with the point behind the post or WHY it was made!!!

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2016, 18:11:24 »
an area that has NOTHING to do with the point behind the post

BA aren't ground combat units?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Best IS Battle Armor? (pointlessly moved)
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2016, 18:20:25 »
sure but he is asking for opinions on the BA, not how to employ them in ground combat . . . this sort of thing happens.

Lots of similar questions still floating around in General- which is where a lot of ranking type questions do get asked.

You did get a answer and as sillybrit is one of the two guys who writes the BAotW articles, its a solid answer.

Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2016, 18:36:10 »
BA aren't ground combat units?

This was NOT about ground combat units!

It was about what people thought about the various DESIGNS of Battle Armor. I was asking for peoples' THOUGHTS, not for some specific rules related answer. I also opened it up for adding your own designs, which is punitively VERBOTEN in THIS part of the forum.

THIS thread was about opinion, justification, and exemplification.

NOT about ground combat or official rules.

If it was so mandatory a thing that just HAD to be moved, why not just moved it to the "general" area of Fan Designs and Rules?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2016, 18:38:34 by Black_Knyght »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2016, 18:39:23 »
Fan designs and rules forum and sub-forums are for custom designs and discussion about custom designs.
This thread? Discussion about canon designs, ergo, Ground Combat forum seems to be the best fit. At least, that would be the logic i'd use were i a mod. (Besides, this place gets more visitors probably :P)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2016, 19:01:13 »
(Besides, this place gets more visitors probably :P)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2016, 19:55:13 »
As noted, the Battle Armour subforum of the Fan Designs forum is specifically for fan designs, and discussion of those designs.

Discussion of canon Battle Armour best fits the Ground Combat subforum. Alternatively, an in-universe discussion of best Inner Sphere armour by faction could reasonably live in the Inner Sphere subforum of the BattleTech Universe forum.

Please take a moment to read the brief forum descriptions on the main page, to avoid similar confusions in future.

(As a personal observation, as someone who does post moderately often in the Battle Armour subforum of the Fan Designs forum ... it's a heck of a lot quieter than this subforum. As another observation, please don't 'yell'.)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2016, 01:29:59 »
Medium: Cavalier II - unfair, because the majority of you won't know its stats, but [borat]is nice[/borat]. If I was to avoid Clantech, I'm split between the Amazon and Infiltrator Mk II in terms of performance and concept. Both have their cosmetic issues, but overall I prefer the looks of the Infiltrator Mk II.

Speaking of Cavalier II... when are we getting it's stats anyway? I mean, its obviously got the Grenader II's armor, improved jump capacity (Jump Booster I would presume...)

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2016, 18:16:55 »
Speaking of Cavalier II... when are we getting it's stats anyway? I mean, its obviously got the Grenader II's armor, improved jump capacity (Jump Booster I would presume...)

I have no idea.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2016, 06:59:44 »
Are the Jihad era WoB designs fair game for this discussion?  They're built to an optimized standard that is otherwise rarely used by devs.

I'm not sure I've ever heard the Demons described this way.

Register