Author Topic: Most common "signature weapons" systems?  (Read 8943 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Most common "signature weapons" systems?
« on: 28 June 2016, 16:15:41 »
Although I'm pretty sure not every one has a particular "signature weapons", I'm curious what folks here would say were the most commonly utilized "signature weapons & systems" for each of the following (circa 3050-3070):

( 1 ): Federated Commonwealth

( 2 ): Lyran Alliance

( 3 ): Draconis Combine

( 4 ): Free Worlds League

( 5 ): Capellan Confederation

( 6 ): Jade Falcons

( 7 ): Smoke Jaguars

( 8 ): Nova Cats
« Last Edit: 30 June 2016, 00:56:27 by Black_Knyght »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Most common weapon systems?
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2016, 16:28:22 »

Do you have a certain time frame in mind?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2016, 19:13:27 »
1) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

2) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

3) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

4) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

5) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

6) ER Medium Laser

7) ER Medium Laser

8) ER Medium Laser

In other words, pretty boring, medium lasers and ER Medium lasers are both at the most efficient spot both heat-wise and damage-wise that they can and often are dropped in just about everywhere.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2016, 20:32:30 »
You may mean "signature weapons" - those most commonly associated with that faction. They won't be the ones numerically most common, but they're the ones you think of when you talk about a "typical ### design".

I'm splitting into pre-3060 and post-3060, for simplicity - obviously years of introduction will vary. But it's a useful simplification.

FedSuns: Autocannons. Then Rotary Autocannons.
Lyran Alliance: no real signature, and then Heavy Gauss.
Draconis Combine: no real signature, and then (if you allow it) C3 masters/slaves
Free Worlds League: LRMs, then Light Gauss
Capellans: mines, then (again at a stretch) Stealth Armour

The Clans don't really get signature weapons, they use signature chasses instead.

My two M-bills, anyway.

W.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2016, 00:40:47 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2016, 23:42:43 »
You may mean "signature weapons" - those most commonly associated with that faction. They won't be the ones numerically most common, but they're the ones you think of when you talk about a "typical ### design".

Probably what he meant, I was being particularly literal when I read the question the first time.

Draconis Combine: no real signature, and then (if you allow it) C3 masters/slaves

I always got the impression that the DC trended towards PPCs in the pre-3060 days, two of their most iconic mechs had either their most common or close second most common variant using them (this being the PNT-9R Panther and the DRG-1G Grand Dragon)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2016, 00:40:05 »
I'd pay that. Particularly, now that I go back and look at it, the heavy & snub PPCs are Kuritan in origin. SO make that:

Draconis Combine: PPCs, then more PPCs and C3.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2016, 00:49:23 »

I'm splitting into pre-3060 and post-3060, for simplicity - obviously years of introduction will vary. But it's a useful simplification.

FedSuns: Autocannons. Then Rotary Autocannons.
Lyran Alliance: no real signature, and then Heavy Gauss.
Free Worlds League: LRMs, then Light Gauss
Capellans: mines, then (again at a stretch) Stealth Armour

The Clans don't really get signature weapons, they use signature chasses instead.

My two M-bills, anyway.

W.

Bingo !!!

I worded this all wrong, but that was indeed the point of my inquiry. I need to reword that.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2016, 03:39:03 »
Not exactly true, Clan Nova Cat for instance is know for using the ERLL and ERPPC a lot.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2016, 09:12:47 »
Not exactly true, Clan Nova Cat for instance is know for using the ERLL and ERPPC a lot.

ERLL with a Clan Targeting Computer, but dialing down the power would make a great signature weapon at Extreme Ranges:

"Program loaded?"
"Aff."
"Target in sight?"
"Aff."
"Fire."

On the other side of the field, the locals trying to spot the Nova Cat personnel suddenly see a beam of light on their boss's Atlas, and one of them looks at the damage.
"Well?"
"Sir, the laser was used to write 'Clan Nova Cat was here'."
"Not again!"

The Nova Cat warriors agreed, the ERLL was an excellent 'signature' weapon.

Chaeronea

• Master Sergeant
Re: Most common "signature weapons" systems?
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2016, 10:07:21 »
Plasma Rifles for the Capellan Confederation?

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2016, 11:42:22 »
Circa 3050, I'd put the FWL at "Anything new". They were the ones peddling upgrades and lostech weaponry during the Invasion. Of course, for them, if anyone had a PPC at one point in their history, that was a novelty, so you could put "Anti-PPC" in there somewhere.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2016, 19:44:36 »
ERLL with a Clan Targeting Computer, but dialing down the power would make a great signature weapon at Extreme Ranges:

"Program loaded?"
"Aff."
"Target in sight?"
"Aff."
"Fire."

On the other side of the field, the locals trying to spot the Nova Cat personnel suddenly see a beam of light on their boss's Atlas, and one of them looks at the damage.
"Well?"
"Sir, the laser was used to write 'Clan Nova Cat was here'."
"Not again!"

The Nova Cat warriors agreed, the ERLL was an excellent 'signature' weapon.

ROFLMAO !!!

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2016, 15:07:59 »
Capellan Signature Weapon was the Dirty Trick. Stealth Armor was just an Upgrade for this. The specifics of the Dirty Trick varied battlefield to battlefield.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2016, 15:13:23 »
Black_Knyght I get that you might frequent this part of the forums most, but Fan Designs and Rules is not the appropriate place for this.  May I instead suggest General BattleTech Discussion instead if you want to discuss the weapon systems but not specifically their usage in the BattleTech board game, or Ground Combat if you do.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2016, 07:06:41 »
[copper] As per usual, no warnings or cross words, but the question posed was not appropriate for Fan Designs.  Cheers, all!  [copper]

Also...

1) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

2) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

3) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

4) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

5) Medium Laser (after about 3060 or so, ER Medium Laser)

6) ER Medium Laser

7) ER Medium Laser

8) ER Medium Laser

...that  :P
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2016, 15:55:41 »
Black_Knyght I get that you might frequent this part of the forums most, but Fan Designs and Rules is not the appropriate place for this.  May I instead suggest General BattleTech Discussion instead if you want to discuss the weapon systems but not specifically their usage in the BattleTech board game, or Ground Combat if you do.

For the record, the point of this thread was to determine what were "signature weapons" for each empire in order to create a number of fan designs using those weapons.

BUT, I get that moderators often make arbitrary decisions without fully understanding the nature or purpose of a given thread and will often move them to a completely different section wherein the discussion stalls and the thread dies.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 30 July 2016, 16:03:32 »
For the record, the point of this thread was to determine what were "signature weapons" for each empire in order to create a number of fan designs using those weapons.

BUT, I get that moderators often make arbitrary decisions without fully understanding the nature or purpose of a given thread and will often move them to a completely different section wherein the discussion stalls and the thread dies.

Or they move them somewhere more appropriate, as they're supposed to do.

Can the attitude.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 30 July 2016, 16:08:35 »
Equally for the record, this is still the forum that this thread should have gone to start.  Feel free to make a thread in the Fan Designs board when you're ready to post fan designs or start tinkering with fan rules.  Until then, talking about things that already exist in BattleTech in the forms that they already exist is some thing that falls firmly within the bounds of General BattleTech Discussion.

As an aside, this board is by far the most visited and most posted in on the entire forums.  You'll get more discussion here than you will down there.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 30 July 2016, 16:13:53 »
The problem with your question is some factions have signature mech's or weight classes, rather than signature weapons. For example the Lyran's signature is using assault mechs in recon lances. While the clans, with their omni heavy armies, have signature Mechs, but they use multiple versions, which carry a wide variety of weapons. In the clan's case the exception is Nova Cat, which favors Energy Weapons.

Nothing in the OP reflects any of that, so I get where the mods are coming from.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 30 July 2016, 16:44:49 »
I feel like I should point out, if only to keep the myth from perpetuating as more fact than fiction, that the Lyran Medium 'Mech Corps is one of the best and most flexible stable of designs in the IS.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #20 on: 30 July 2016, 18:11:13 »
I feel like I should point out, if only to keep the myth from perpetuating as more fact than fiction, that the Lyran Medium 'Mech Corps is one of the best and most flexible stable of designs in the IS.

That's also a recent development though.  The initial medium Mech stable of the LCAF was the Phoenix Hawk, Vulcan, and Griffin.  Not exactly spoilt for choice.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 30 July 2016, 18:22:19 »
Don't forget the Sentinel and the Enforcer purely among units that have Lyran Commonwealth availability that aren't also on IS General, where you get things like Centurions and Hunchbacks.  The Hatchetman also makes an appearance in the next era.  Here's the DC non-IS General list for comparison as well as the Free Worlds League version.  Nobody in 3025 was swimming in exclusive variants, but I'd honestly call the Griffin one of the best and most flexible designs in the IS of the period. ;)

Unless you mean "initial" as in "as of TRO 3026's publication" in which case nobody had much of anything.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 30 July 2016, 18:34:20 »
I actually thinking purely of new production capacity; the original Steiner house book only lists those three being manufactured inside the Commonwealth.  So statistically, they would be the most common.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #23 on: 30 July 2016, 18:36:21 »
The original Steiner mediums were better than their assaults.  #P

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 30 July 2016, 19:59:44 »
Something that's also extremely relevant to the OP:

Draconis Combine MechWarriors by and large dislike Medium 'Mechs, finding them to be improper compromises between Lights and Heavies.  With the singular exception of the Wolverine 6K (which is fairly popular, being a homegrown design and a good one at that), most Mediums are not well received (even if they are used).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #25 on: 30 July 2016, 21:00:14 »
Something that's also extremely relevant to the OP:

Draconis Combine MechWarriors by and large dislike Medium 'Mechs, finding them to be improper compromises between Lights and Heavies.  With the singular exception of the Wolverine 6K (which is fairly popular, being a homegrown design and a good one at that), most Mediums are not well received (even if they are used).

Additionally, the Combine is the last major power to deliberately create homogeneous units. A high percentage of the DCMS, especially in the Succession Wars, was made up of nothing but Panthers, Jenners, and/or Dragons; entire lances or companies of just one type of 'Mech. This is called out as persisting into the Dark Ages with the Dragon II.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 30 July 2016, 21:25:42 »
Taking it even further, Combine MechWarriors are some of the finest individual duelists in the Sphere at any given point in the timeline, to the extent that the 2nd Sword of Light were the first regiment to go blow for blow with the Dragoons and not only hold their own but actually inflict equivalent damage.  This has been a tradition in the DCMS since the heydey of the Star League and exemplified in the First Hidden War, where DCMS MechWarriors would challenge SLDF pilots to honor duels to test their worth.  They won most of them.

As such, Kurita pilots will favor weapons that favor the duelist, and will favor the duelist across multiple battles.  PPCs, SRMs, and Medium Laser batteries are commonplace.  LRMs are less frequent but present on units like the Dragon.  High caliber autocannons are practically unheard of (Hohiro Kurita piloted a Hunchback, which at the least indicates that those still exist in the DCMS, but there are very few others; evidence: this is every single DC unit from the Succession Wars to the Clan Invasion that has enough autocannons to qualify for the AC Special in Alpha Strike - which is 10 damage).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 30 July 2016, 21:53:07 »
« Last Edit: 30 July 2016, 21:58:05 by Black_Knyght »

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #28 on: 31 July 2016, 07:00:06 »
WT summed it up pretty well. Just looking at the field manuals should reinforce most of this.

An alternative question for you: what are the signature mechs using these signature systems?

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 31 July 2016, 09:37:08 »
I gotta say that finding a decent "flagship" FWLM 'Mech carrying an LGR is going to be difficult.  They're a hard weapon to fit to a 'Mech's weapon suite efficiently.  I'd rather take an Ontos (LGR) over 99% of our LGR 'Mechs, for example.  As for the LRM launcher being a Marik staple, I'd actually narrow that down to the LRM-15.  Apollo, Trebuchet, Grand Titan, Albatross, Phoenix Archer, every Thunderbolt variant up to and including the TDR-9M, Yeoman; and that's just off the top of my head.  The other rack sizes are used, sure, but I believe the number of designs carrying LRM-15s outnumbers them.