Author Topic: Colored Mech cards?  (Read 3661 times)

-Ice

• Sergeant
Colored Mech cards?
« on: 10 October 2016, 11:50:31 »
Is there an option to add more "bling" to the game by printing the cards in color?  I seem to remember there were colored mech cards available...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Colored Mech cards?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2016, 12:28:26 »
Solaris Skunk Werks can do colour cards, but the stats are BattleForce/Quickstrike rather than Alpha Strike (and the differences are significant enough)

The other option for colour cards is to buy the lance packs and the con exclusive decks
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2016, 12:45:41 »
Are you talking about this background?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2016, 13:13:18 »
Yeah, that looks like the one

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2016, 13:23:04 »
I seem to remember something else, maybe I'm mis-remembering the lance packs cards...

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2016, 13:31:59 »
The lance pack cards look just like the MUL ones, only in colour with a photo of the model rather than line art.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2016, 13:36:46 »
Not really. This is a lance pack card:

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2016, 13:42:37 »
Yeah, that seems to be closer to what I remember... How hard would it be to get this to be the MUL printout?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2016, 13:53:37 »
It'd be something to ask for in the MUL feedback thread, but I don't know how feasible it is.

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2016, 16:14:31 »
Thread created!

I'm not much of a programmer, but wouldn't it simply involve changing the relevant background images and fonts?  I think finding colored images of each mech may be a trouble so I'm happy with the B&W mech images we've all come to know and love, but the rest of the card shouldn't be too hard.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2016, 16:31:25 »
The MUL not having color cards is intentional.  Both for ease of printing as well as to differentiate the "premium" cards for purchase from the "standard" free from the MUL cards.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2016, 16:47:19 »
Are there any "premium" cards available for purchase?

TurboCooler

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2016, 19:12:16 »

Nope, none that I know of unless you count the ones in the Lance Packs and I do not consider them premium.  The edges are mess from bad die cutting.  They are not laminated so you can use a white board marker for scoring and they are small.  I also do not like that they are double sided.  I would like the cards to be larger as well.

I am in the process of making my own cards.  I almost have my Photoshop layout complete.

I am making them 3x5 with my own Alpha Strike Graphic in the back.  I am sticking them together with a thick 3x5 card in the middle to make them thick.  Then I am going to heat laminate them so I can use a dry eraser pen marker.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2016, 19:53:12 »

The convention decks, the Lance Packs, the one, now obolste print on demand, and hopefully future decks.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 10 October 2016, 21:39:30 »
You could always open them up with an image altering program and use a paintbucket tool to drop a different color into the box background.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 11 October 2016, 14:34:58 »
Or find some folks who are into Bedazzling and slip them some cards and a sawbuck.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2016, 04:01:21 »
The MUL not having color cards is intentional.  Both for ease of printing as well as to differentiate the "premium" cards for purchase from the "standard" free from the MUL cards.

I do not think cards printed out from a printing company have anything to worry about when compared to cards printed out from a home printer.

I'm not looking to do this to compete with or to replace "official" cards, I'm simply looking to add a bit more color to my BattleTech materials.  We all know how everything used to be black-and-white before the recent spate of books  ::)

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 12 October 2016, 10:56:44 »
They are not laminated so you can use a white board marker for scoring and they are small.  I also do not like that they are double sided.

Might want to check that out again. They are dry-erase ready right out of the Lance packs, even says so right on the box!

TurboCooler

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2016, 16:51:57 »
Might want to check that out again. They are dry-erase ready right out of the Lance packs, even says so right on the box!

You are correct.  It says so right on the box.  But my set from a Pursuit Lance Pack now have permanent marks or smudges instead where I tried to remove the marks. 

Whatever was suppose to be coated on the cards did not work.  I have been working on my own cards instead which are easier to read and definitely work with the dry erase markers.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2016, 16:56:37 »
I just put card sleeves on mine.  They're deliberately designed to fit in playing card sleeves (2.5" x 3.5").
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.