Author Topic: New Ostscout mini  (Read 9995 times)

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
New Ostscout mini
« on: 26 November 2016, 01:26:50 »
Here's a couple pictures of the new Ostscout for anyone curious. Its a great mini that's scaled well and features lots of sharp details. It comes in 7 pieces: torso, arms, sensors/jump jets, right leg attached to lower torso, left leg. I am looking forward to painting it. I think I put the sensors/jump jets on correctly?

Partially built new Shadow Hawk for size reference.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
Re: New Ostscout mini
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2016, 01:27:59 »
No pic displayed for me.  :(

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2016, 01:47:37 »
No pics showing for me either :(

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2016, 01:52:12 »
I can see it. Looks good. I'll definitely be picking one up at some point.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2016, 01:59:00 »
Fun fact. Those pictures will only show up in google chrome (only tested Firefox, MS Edge, and Chrome)

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2016, 05:14:43 »
Fun fact. Those pictures will only show up in google chrome (only tested Firefox, MS Edge, and Chrome)

Probably related to me linking them from Google+. I need to find an alternate picture hosting site

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2016, 06:05:06 »

Also Opera.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2016, 08:04:00 »
Nice fig

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2016, 16:46:29 »
I know I'm probably going to get "boo"ed for this, but I don't care for it...

With the exception of the arms (which remind me of cannons and not sensors), the Project Phoenix artwork look better. Sadly, that doesn't seem to have translated to the mini though, as the mini looks almost anorexic with the narrowing of the waste and even the cockpit didn't transfer well.

The new Ostscout loses some of it's identity with that protruding cannon, instead of the recessed one from the original and PP version (which is too big on the PP mini). It also looks a little too thick in both arms and legs to be a Mech that only carries 4.5 tons of armor. With stats closer to the Spider than most others, it should be lean like the Spider. This one looks like it has barrels for legs and plenty of armor. The shoulder mounted jump jets are OK, although the 4 exhaust ports on each one seem crowded. I think one big vent on both sides would have been better. The cockpit is uninspiring too... For some reason it reminds me of the Exterminator.

I think if I was going to take a swing at painting one of these, I'd have to; bash new arms below the elbow, remove the medium laser and drill a new one in the center torso, replace the legs (maybe with the PP ones) and cut out the top two ports on each jump jet pack and modify the bottom two as a single one.

Maybe my problem is that all the new Classic designs have been such an improvement over the PP versions the level of expectation was set too high. Or may it just isn't too my taste. For those that do like it, my opinion shouldn't matter. For me, I am a little disappointed.

Caz
« Last Edit: 26 November 2016, 16:50:08 by Cazaril »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2016, 21:03:49 »
boooooooooo

Ha! Never cared for the unseen Ostscout and the only reseen Ostscout I liked was the 11J. While the new classic Ostscout is much better than either of them it does have that meh factor compared to other classic designs. While I wouldn't go so far as kitbash it to bits I agree that it could have been better. Regardless i plan on having several to go around in various formations. The first will become part of the 4th Deneb while the second may end up in the Marik Militia.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2016, 22:31:47 »
Probably related to me linking them from Google+. I need to find an alternate picture hosting site
You can simply download them to this thread.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2016, 09:51:50 »
While I wouldn't go so far as kitbash it to bits I agree that it could have been better.

Have you not seen my work!!! I'm one of those people that kitbash Rifleman from Reaper CAV minis because I don't care for the ones IWM has (this may change with the Classic Rifleman artwork, when it gets released).

Nothing makes me happier than to kitbash something. I just got my first Xanthos in a trade. When it arrived I first was disappointed in it (another Mech not to my taste), but as I explained to the person I traded with, now I can't wait to bash it into something I do like. I've got; 1 mini that needs touch up, 1 I just started to paint, 2 that have been started but I lost interest in them, and one in pieces waiting to be rebuilt (just a few minor changes) and painted, all currently sitting on my workbench. I'm struggling not to tear open the Xanthos blister and start bashing.

For me, kitbashing isn't a chore, it is my favorite part.

Caz

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2016, 12:36:08 »
Not sure if I have so... Point me toward danger Cazaril, I'm ready!

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2016, 13:38:17 »
Not sure if I have so... Point me toward danger Cazaril, I'm ready!

Full Custom Bashes: SHD-2K Shadow Hawk, Clan Mad Dog II, RFL-3N Rifleman, and MAD-3M Marauder.

Partial Bash and/or Reposes: ARC-2K Archer, GOL-1M Goliath, SHD-3J ShadowHawk, GHR-5H Grasshopper, and TDR-5SS Thunderbolt

Pretty much everything I have done for quite some time is at least reposed (the exception to this is plastic Mechs). so if you are interested, <Here> is a link to an index of about 5 years of my work.

Caz

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2016, 18:15:41 »
Be prepared to be awed by Caz' skill, then depressed by the knowledge that as merely human, we are unlikely to achieve his levels of mastery ...  ;D O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2016, 11:27:32 »
Overall a win.

Scale/proportions off a bit with the legs...thunder-thighs?

Thank you for taking the time to do scaling pictures!
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: 06 December 2016, 21:33:10 »
Yeah, not really feeling this one either... The legs seem to thick to belong to it, which was apparent with the lineart, but did somehow manage to look thinner and sleaker. Maybe it was the angle the mech is viewed at in the art?

Thanks for posting comparison pics!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2016, 00:58:31 »
I'm iffy on how the mini looks, but I couldn't really see myself buying a lot of Ostscouts at any rate. I mean, how often do you see one on the battlefield?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 07 December 2016, 07:18:15 »
I ordered 2 from the local store. I use them a fair bit due to the quirks it has, especially in 3025 play with a pilot with Eagle's Eyes. Makes a nice BAP replacement.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #19 on: 07 December 2016, 13:38:59 »
I wish I could see it. I'm curious how it compares to the Phoenix version.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2016, 15:29:53 »
I'm iffy on how the mini looks, but I couldn't really see myself buying a lot of Ostscouts at any rate. I mean, how often do you see one on the battlefield?

In my Independent Recon Group (part of my Stormbringers), Ostscouts are paired with two Spiders. The Spiders act as over-watch, meant to worry more about the tactical situation immediately around the Ostscout, so the Ostscout pilot can get lost in the data stream (a take on the TRO:3025 fluff). I always planned to paint 4 groups of three (Ostscout and 2 Spiders), with the panel lines of the Spiders being different colors (instead of the red from the TRO:3025 fluff)...

But how often would you see them on the battlefield? In theory, never. The idea of the IRG is to gather intelligence, not fight battles. That's why they are mated to Spiders instead of something more powerful. If they run into a contact and can't hide, then their mission is to evade and get out as fast as they can. Few Mechs, at least from TROs; 2750, 3025 and 3039, can keep up with either the Ostscout or Spider, so getting out fast shouldn't be a problem.

So while I plan to eventually paint a handful up, they are meant more for RPG, then combat...

I'm not sure, but I think I just proved what you were saying...  ;)

Caz

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #21 on: 13 December 2016, 15:22:58 »
Are there photos of the new Ostscout anywhere else?  I can't seem to view the ones in the OP no matter what I do.   :(
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: 13 December 2016, 16:19:44 »
For those that can't see them... I saved them to my PC and attached them here.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 13 December 2016, 17:06:28 »
Thank you Mech42ace!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 14 December 2016, 06:48:04 »
Thanks - that mini looks great, both in detail as in size.
While i'm not a fan of that particular artwork, the mini looks good compared to the artwork.
So i will definitely buy that mini to have a SSW Ostscout at hand.

smcwatt

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 14 December 2016, 10:03:29 »
That thing has thighs like a long track speed skater.

SMc.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #26 on: 14 December 2016, 13:12:36 »
Thanks! 

I've heard a bit of negative feedback on this miniature, but I think I actually like it!   O0

That thing has thighs like a long track speed skater.
Yes!  They do look too big compared to the artwork, but on the other hand they look like just the thing on a mech that's supposed to run away from trouble. 

Definitely adding this to my wish list. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #27 on: 15 December 2016, 14:19:28 »

Thanx for this, Mech42ace!

I didn't realize the NuSeen Ostscout's body was so small compared to those legs. Not a deal breaker, just not what it seemed to show in the little artwork I've seen for it.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2016, 00:37:23 »
Thanks Mech42ace! That is a fantastic looking revival of the Otscout. I don't own any models of the mech (unseen,Phoenix Project), but I intend for this sculpt to be my first when it gets produced.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #29 on: 03 January 2017, 20:07:15 »
Anyone have an Ostscout painted/complete yet?
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Register