Author Topic: Any updates for the Wasp?  (Read 51393 times)

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
Re: Any updates for the Wasp?
« Reply #30 on: 20 March 2017, 22:24:34 »
Here are some comparison shots next to a Loki Mk. II and a reseen Locust.

« Last Edit: 20 March 2017, 22:26:53 by Wolf Reaper »
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2017, 22:26:55 »
Beefier than I expected. Looks like you assembled it as a D variant?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2017, 22:28:52 »
Beefier than I expected. Looks like you assembled it as a D variant?

Yep. The only issue was trying to place the small lasers. Under the torso was the only way I saw to keep normal mobility in the arm. (As much as it is already impeded by the fire breathing leg)
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
"The Blood Pack"

"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 20 March 2017, 22:58:34 »
Would the same lasers fit on top of the torso? I ordered 2 and I plan on making a Wasp-1W out of one of them
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 20 March 2017, 23:24:40 »
Would the same lasers fit on top of the torso? I ordered 2 and I plan on making a Wasp-1W out of one of them

When i was trying placement it seemed to bulky. You could also trim the laser box down to fit. It all falls to preference.
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
"The Blood Pack"

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 21 March 2017, 00:55:57 »
No SRM 4?!?!?! How dare they!  :D

I had a similar reaction, but I've already got a plan for this.  I've got a lance worth on order, and I'm planning on building a WSP-1A, -1D, -1K and -1L.  For the L, I'll chop the laser off the arm and combine extra missile pods from the -1D or -1K and throw them on in place of the medium laser.
Hayden

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #36 on: 21 March 2017, 01:12:10 »
Wow, that's a beefy Wasp.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 21 March 2017, 01:35:04 »
So am I imagining things or is that Wasp one piece aside from the variant bits?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 21 March 2017, 01:54:20 »
Think it's split at the waist.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 21 March 2017, 05:27:18 »
Think it's split at the waist.

Torso, legs, each arm. Four pieces total plus the variants bits.
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
"The Blood Pack"

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 21 March 2017, 05:58:43 »
too beefy but still better looking than the reseen and cheaper than looking for more unseen. And can't use unseen in tourney anyway.. so theres another plus I guess.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #41 on: 21 March 2017, 09:49:12 »
No SRM 4?!?!?! How dare they!  :D

There's a handy SRM-4 in the XTRO Vixen that might work well. Not sure how well it would fit (I don't have a Wasp), but it's far better-scaled than the Clan Omnimech SRM-4 at least.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 21 March 2017, 10:22:10 »
I wonder if we could see the 3D file for the Wasp-1D to get an idea were the lasers were designed to go?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 21 March 2017, 11:18:49 »
too beefy but still better looking than the reseen and cheaper than looking for more unseen. And can't use unseen in tourney anyway.. so theres another plus I guess.

The torso feels very Whitworth to me in its bulkiness. I think I'm more likely to go with the Primitive Wasp for my future Wasp mini needs, and wait and see what happens with the Stinger when we get art for that.  If that doesn't work for me, I'll probably go with the Stinger IIC for any future old Stingers I need.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 22 March 2017, 08:01:28 »
Sorry, but this feels like a huge letdown (seems like a really bad 3D printer was used). The Wasp mini is missing so many details and most of the shape is just wrong (the head ...just... no). Seems like I have to use the primitive as a proxy. :'(
« Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 08:05:20 by Domi1981 »

ijewett

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 22 March 2017, 10:35:11 »
Sorry, but this feels like a huge letdown (seems like a really bad 3D printer was used). The Wasp mini is missing so many details and most of the shape is just wrong (the head ...just... no). Seems like I have to use the primitive as a proxy. :'(

It looks like the flash washed out most of the details. But it does seem like they are there. That said however I agree with the head looking.... bad. Also I agree with previous posters, this Wasp is very very bulky. Things like the fairings on the legs, that appear to come out at around a 45degree angle on the image in FSS, look much more like an 60 or 70 degree angle on the miniature. This makes them much too think. The chest also looks a bit too Bulky. I am a bit disappointed. I have been very happy with IWM miniatures over the past few years. But this one I may skip on.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 22 March 2017, 10:45:41 »
I'm not ready to judge based on this one set of pictures. I've had some pretty misleading stuff come out of my phones camera before when it comes to pictures of minis! Anyway, it does look a bit...thick, but it also seems quite small, so it may not seem so big in person. I'm reserving judgement at this point.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #47 on: 22 March 2017, 11:18:20 »
Yeash that thing bit bulky than i would imagine a Wasp should be. It's suppose to be one of the leaner machines.  I keep remembering yarns of Wasp/Stinger size mechs being lifted by Atlas and bodily thrown.  That thing bit bulky for that, unless the stockiness only appearance and not weight.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 22 March 2017, 12:11:05 »

I think the details are being heavily obscured by glare in those pictures.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 22 March 2017, 15:44:08 »
I just received it.  It is a full head taller than the primitive Wasp.  It looks like a medium mech.  Is it possible that the sculptor thought that it was 45 tons and sculpted accordingly?  How is quality control being handled?
I think I'll stick with the primitive Wasp.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 15:53:29 by jimdigris »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 22 March 2017, 16:20:29 »
With all this in mind, I suppose I'll have to limit my initial purchase to one mini to see how it looks up close with paint on it.

And maybe look into bits to convert primitive wasps...

Though now I'm wondering how the new wasp would look converted into a phoenix hawk, or maybe something inbetween...

I just received it.  It is a full head taller than the primitive Wasp.  It looks like a medium mech.  Is it possible that the sculptor thought that it was 45 tons and sculpted accordingly? 

I recall some talk earlier that they wanted to scale it with the new stinger, and there were some detail issues that necessitated scaling up the stinger. This probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if the new wasp wasn't quite so beefy. You know, something lanky like the phoenix version of the wasp, but not crappy like the phoenix wasp.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 22 March 2017, 16:24:18 »
Yeah, I coulda seen a skinnier Phoenix Hawk, which would then fit with the Phoenix Hawk's in-universe origins as being essentially a beefed-up Wasp/Stinger.  And, like the old Marauder/Marauder II, it wasn't a huge size difference between them (I have neither of the new minis, note, to see if that's still true).

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 22 March 2017, 16:44:19 »
After buying the Thor II and Bakeneko and now seeing the Wasp I sadly have to say that there seems to be a trend with some sculptors doing everything via 3D printers alone. All those minis lack the detail and correct angles of many other minis, yet there are stellar minis like the Zeus X. If soomebody of IWM reads this I would like to know if I would be allowed to take on the task of doing my own mini in order to give it away to IWM for free as a master. I dont say that I can do it better but now I am really eager to give it a try. But first I need an OK from IWM.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #53 on: 22 March 2017, 17:11:16 »
Yeah... After seeing the actual mini I'm not too enthused about it either... That's not to say that I won't pick up one or two; but most things look better with a bit of paint. I'll probably hold out until I see some painted.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 22 March 2017, 17:31:47 »
After the great Shadowhawk and Ostscout that would be hard, if the Wasp is suddenly out of scale again. I hoped this all time issue would be solved now.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: 22 March 2017, 17:46:00 »
I just received it.  It is a full head taller than the primitive Wasp. 

Just out of curiosity, what did it come out to in height (bottom of the feet to the top of the head), and widest point of the shoulders?

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 22 March 2017, 18:29:19 »
Just out of curiosity, what did it come out to in height (bottom of the feet to the top of the head), and widest point of the shoulders?

1 and 5/8 inches.
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
"The Blood Pack"

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 22 March 2017, 21:31:54 »
 [AAAH] Looking at the TRO art in 1st SW the pics of the wasp mini above looks like the Valkyrie in several places. Perhaps that is why it looks... beefy. The legs could possibly be reused as well as at least one arm. Head I'm not so sure. It kinda looks more like the Valkyrie art than the wasp art. Torso could possibly be used as a base for the Valkyrie too. Just my thoughts.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #58 on: 22 March 2017, 21:35:47 »
After buying the Thor II and Bakeneko and now seeing the Wasp I sadly have to say that there seems to be a trend with some sculptors doing everything via 3D printers alone. All those minis lack the detail and correct angles of many other minis, yet there are stellar minis like the Zeus X. If soomebody of IWM reads this I would like to know if I would be allowed to take on the task of doing my own mini in order to give it away to IWM for free as a master. I dont say that I can do it better but now I am really eager to give it a try. But first I need an OK from IWM.

So, I've got interesting news for you.  Of the Wasp, Thor II, and Bakeneko, only the Thor II was done with a 3D printer.  All 3 of the minis you have named, while they may have their flaws, were thoroughly reviewed by artists and sculptors alike and were approved by the IWM QCC.  I know you may disapprove of these minis, but they have been overall well received. 

If you have any feedback on minis done by M. Cross (that's me), please let me know via PM or this older thread (http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56130) as I was specifically asking for feedback.  The Thor II was my first mini, so it is a little rough around the edges.

As for sculpting your own, I believe you have posted at least two threads on the matter and in both, you were given solid recommendations on how to get started.  I highly recommend you start a mini, something that hasn't been done before, and make a master of it.  When you feel it is perfect, send an email with photos to IWM and they will evaluate it.  If you are having trouble contacting IWM, talk to Speck, he is the representative around here for IWM.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: 22 March 2017, 21:36:50 »
1 and 5/8 inches.
Which would be 41mm... I'm assuming that includes the foot pad/base portion of the mini then. That's alright, close enough for what I needed. Thanks!