Author Topic: CGR-1A1 Charger / 17th Galedon Regulars  (Read 4478 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
CGR-1A1 Charger / 17th Galedon Regulars
« on: 22 March 2017, 19:00:06 »
Because I seldom if ever play anymore, gone are the days when I am frantically trying to ready a force for a mission, only to need to replace it with another when the mission is over all too soon. Instead, I paint for other reasons… The 349th Dragoons and 256th Support Group are both part of my non-canon Stormbringers and therefore hold a special place in my heart. Meanwhile the 23rd Arcturan Guards has become something of a signature piece for me. I love purple, so the 9th Marik Militia was an easy pick. The blues of Reaper’s Pure Blues triad really blend well, and make a choice like the 3rd Davion Brigade of Guards, or the 3rd Lyran Guards, almost natural… But of them all, it really seems like the 17th Galedon Regulars are the most fun. Sure, they are a solid mass of grey, but the mini street scene dioramas are almost as much fun to do as is reposing them (my favorite part) and really allow me to get creative.

I’ve been kicking this idea around for about 4 years now. Sadly, with my production grinding down to about 1 a year, it took some time before the idea could be realized… The original idea was to have the Charger peaking around the corner, with kind of a “Please Dear God, don’t let there be anybody there” stance. To pull it off, I really think it needed to be bending more at the waste, something that the Charger does not lend itself to (at least not without filing down half of the waist and torso). Instead, I think I got more of a “cop about to bust a bad guy around the corner” look. Still cautious, but not timid. Meanwhile, I’ve added infantry again, something I started back with the dead guy on my ARC-2K Archer. This time the infantry is friendly, and it wouldn’t be too hard to believe the guy also looking around the edge is in command (although the Charger is actually numbered as a Lance Commander). I thought about adding a 5th guy, considering the almost superstitious nature of that number with Kuritian troops, but then I realized the Charger WAS the 5th guy… And speaking of the troops, it is the guy with the flamer I like most, probably because I could add a touch of color to their uniforms.

I had to explain this to Diamond Shark already, so I figured I would mention it here… In a perfect world, I would have a prebuilt city-scape that would have hexes cut from it, and this ‘Mech would just drop right in completing the building. Therefore, what you are seeing is a slice of the structure, that ends at the edge of the hex base. Which is also why you see four different living rooms and some furniture…

Finally, for those who have spotted something a little different about the head, I’ve added back the head mounted small laser. If you look at the original artwork it is there, although it is a bit more pronounced on my version. I modified it slightly with a protruding barrel, which necessitated the larger weapon. I don’t think the extra size takes away from the mini though.

As always, comments, suggestions and steal-able ideas welcome...

Caz

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
Re: CGR-1A1 Charger / 17th Galedon Regulars
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2017, 19:04:16 »
That is some very nice work  8)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2017, 19:07:09 »
Caz, that's another amazing piece of work from you!

In awe of the love & detail you put in.

W O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2017, 19:17:43 »
Holy crap that's fantastic, and really brings it to life.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2017, 19:44:16 »
 O0
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2017, 21:44:13 »
I adore this!  Just incredible details all-over.  The Charger itself is superbly painted, and the composition of the pose is both serious and slightly comical.  The Kurita infantrymen at its feet immediately caught my attention and are both a great reference for scale, but well-detailed in their own right.  The building cutaway was a fun surprise as well!
Hayden

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2017, 21:50:16 »
Very nice.  O0
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2017, 23:31:31 »
Wow, I love it!  O0

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."

Spacecowboy

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2017, 23:40:27 »
That thing looks sweeet! O0

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2017, 06:57:06 »
WOW! That is awesome. Love all the detail, and gr e at action pose.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2017, 16:27:35 »
That is stunning work! O0

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2017, 22:59:28 »

The skills on display far exceed the stats of that mech.  Nice work.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2017, 05:29:49 »
 :o [applause]

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2017, 09:40:07 »
I feel you, Caz; I never play anymore, and my production is also about one miniature a year. However, you actually paint your minis. So, I think you're doing great. Especially considering the level of paintwork you've come to be known for. This is a fantastic piece. I love the mods to the miniature. The shifting weight of the stance is perfect. And, I love the mood of the setting. I completely agree with the “cop about to bust a bad guy around the corner” aesthetic to this. Even before I read your description. Did you cut-up a miniature building, or sculpt this? Either way; great stuff. Thank you for sharing. 

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2017, 12:10:36 »
Did you cut-up a miniature building, or sculpt this?

Let's call it 50/50... The outer shell is a commercially produced HO building. The interior (floors, I-beams, paneling, furniture, tree) was created from my collection of brass and styrene...

Truth be told, with the sole exception of my SHD-2K (whose parking garage was custom made), all the other members of the 17th Galedon Regulars have utilized this one building for their bases...  The upside of using HO scale is the price. The down side is scale... Regrettably the majority of the walls are filled with windows that are taller than a door should be. Which means I'm going to have to get creative the more of the 17th I do (or I could just stop being cheap and buy a new building  ;) ).

Caz

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2017, 14:24:38 »
Amusingly I looked at the building and thought of a Barbie Dream House.

I now picture this conversation. 

Infantryman: Aw crap, it's one of those elementals with a AP Gauss!

Mechwarrior: Aw crap, he has more firepower than I have!
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2017, 15:13:09 »
Amusingly I looked at the building and thought of a Barbie Dream House.

If it was, Malibu Barbie would be living on the third floor...  :D

The third floor by the way was a total accident... I started with light blue walls, then I decided to go two-tone and added the darker blue. The floor was suppose to be mahogany colored, but I thought it seemed too dark so I switched to the lighter colored "wood"... When I got all done, I looked at it and realized it looked like a beach. The idea for the tree and furniture came easy after that. The only thing I didn't add was the ice bucket of Coronas.

Caz

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2017, 19:37:00 »
This made my day!

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2017, 11:18:25 »
That's incredible! Love how "alive" you made the scene look. I enjoy seeing folks make mechs into dynamic poses like this. Really gives character to the machine
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2017, 05:29:46 »
 [applause] [applause] O0 just WOW!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2017, 10:53:31 »
This is an absolutely marvelous little vignette. I love it!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2017, 11:30:04 »
Oh my ghu...that is a breathtaking display of skill...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2017, 21:46:13 »
Holy.......   cow.

Amazing work.   :o
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 07 April 2017, 01:27:17 »
Everything's great. I really like the feel of the pose, especially the mini's hand on the building (and the fact that you added such a detailed building).  I didn't notice that you added the head mounted laser, but I'm glad you did. That's a nice touch.

The painting is a joy to behold as well.  Seeing all your posts about customized minis made me want to customize some minis. I'm glad you're still posting your work.

Register