Author Topic: STK-3H Stalker / 3rd Lyran Guards  (Read 4631 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
STK-3H Stalker / 3rd Lyran Guards
« on: 31 March 2017, 15:04:55 »
If you live in the United States (I’m not sure about elsewhere), you’ve probably heard the expression “His eyes were bigger than his stomach”. Well there seems to be a corollary to this in regards to minis, and that is “His plans were bigger than his attention span”.

It is not uncommon for me to bash/repose a mini fairly quickly only to have it spend weeks, or months, waiting to get painted (and since I try not to start the next until the current one is finished, you can see why I produce so few a year). My problem is that I don’t really enjoy the painting part as much anymore, so it takes a bit to motivate me to start painting… Having said this, it might then surprise some to know that this mini has been pretty much finished for months, but still sat on my workbench. The reason for this is that when I built this one, I decided to have him walking down the gangplank of a dropship. What I wanted to do, was build a diorama of the dropship with a hole cut in the gangplank where I could just insert each member of the 3rd Lyran Guards for pictures. On the tabletop, each would have less of a dynamic action pose as they walked down their little piece of gangplank, but they would still be different from the normal “just standing here” pose that many seem to have… Well the diorama became problematic and while I haven’t abandon the project, I am certainly setting it aside for now. Maybe when I get tired of stumbling over the pieces-parts to this project, I’ll finish it. For now though, I’ll be posting any members of the 3rd that I manage to complete without it.

For those of you unfamiliar with the STK-3H Stalker, it has its roots all the way back to the original TRO:3025. This variant removes the Large Laser and replaces the LRM-10s with a set of LRM-20 racks and 2 tons of ammunition. I’m not sure how I feel about the variant, as in 6 short rounds the LRM-20s are empty and the pilot is then restricted to fighting only at medium range (9-hexs or less), but I don’t play often enough to really evaluate whether this is an issue or not.

As for the mini itself… Every mini I’ve ever completed always has that little twinge of regret when I’m done because something could have been done better. Sometimes it is an idea that comes too late, and other times it is a matter of someone making a suggestion once I’ve posted it saying “you know what would have looked cool”. And then there are other times where, like the torso of the 17th Galedon Regulars Charger I recently posted, you just have to say “this is good enough” and move on… This Stalker is one of those last cases… Putting aside the fact that the design is a snooze-fest to begin with (come on. It is a bullet shaped brick with legs. And that description is even more exciting than the mini is), I still ran into some problems with the execution of the bash. In this case, the problem was with the missile racks. First, I really would like the SRMs to be bigger than the LRMs, which was something that sort of came to me late. It makes sense. They do more damage per missile and the extra weight from the payload could make them bigger and the reason they don’t fly as far. But in this case a larger warhead wouldn’t have fit in the SRM spot, and I don’t have a smaller “tool” that I could have made the LRMs with. Even if I did, the LRMs would have been tiny then. The other problem was that I am still learning how to sculpt the green stuff. When I press the tool into the putty to make the warhead, it tends to shift and distort. This will cause the putty to build up on one side while you work across the area. What I realized, after I finished this mini of course, is that if I let the green stuff set for an hour or so then I don’t get this problem. Letting it get firm first really keeps this from happening. And while it isn’t a lesson I learned on this Stalker, I recently learned that if you let it set, then lay down a layer of water for your tool to work through, the putty doesn’t shift and the tool releases easier, giving you a much more defined missile… While I obviously am not going to scrap this one and go back and redo it, lesson learned for the next one I do.

Paint wise I am a little disappointed, as I never got the missile heads or the unit number quite the way I wanted it (the unit number is larger on one side than the other), but overall I like it. Granted, it could be that I love Reaper’s True Blue triad and obviously have an affection for white… But with the 23rd Arcturan Guards, and the recent addition of the 1st Davion Brigade of Guards, I will get my blue and white fix separately and that may impact the number of these that get done or how often I pump one out (which will in turn also affect the completion of the diorama I mentioned). But who knows…

Anyway… I hope you enjoy… And as always, comments, suggestions and steal-able ideas welcome.

Caz

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: STK-3H Stalker / 3rd Lyran Guards
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2017, 16:12:06 »
 O0

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2017, 17:03:39 »
You know, I think the 'best' part about that pose is that it is, literally, the first time I have seen a Stalker mini where the leg position looked even remotely reasonable. It doesn't look awkward and physically impossible like the Stalker mini tends to. I normally prefer the Stalker II as it has less silly legs, but this pose made it a complete non-issue. So kudos for that!

I know what you mean about preferring the building process to the painting process...however my painting never turns out as nice as yours! Still, I greatly prefer assembling and tweaking the physical minis to painting them. I've got boxes of silver-surfers that haven't even made it to the primer stage yet. The only difference is that I've got absolutely no compunction about stuffing minis into a box once they are assembled, and moving on!

Nice work though. It's a great pose and a nice bash of a variant that I am fond of.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2017, 17:23:40 »
Great work.   I got lazy with my 3H and just put lids over the launchers i think.   :D

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2017, 17:41:11 »
I got lazy with my 3H and just put lids over the launchers i think.   :D

Of all things I did or didn't do, "got lazy" wasn't one of them...

The SRM-6 racks are made from a thin strip of styrene that I curved along the front edge of the existing launchers and then filled with green stuff and added the missile tips.

The LRM-20, required that I extend the left and right torso, then I followed the same process as the SRM-6s. Meaning I outlined the boxes with styrene, again filling with green stuff and adding the missile heads. But then I also had to add back the medium lasers and work the channel-like "forearms" so that it looked like all one piece.

The legs required both to be cut and reset, because if I didn't the pilot would be looking at the bottom of the ramp... I also added the little slits/grates along the leading edge of the boxy portion of the center torso. It may be just grebble, but sometimes it is the little things.

Caz

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2017, 18:35:45 »
 You guys always inspire me for modding.  The 3H i mentioned i did was before i got serious about modding and is at least 15 years old.  I'm pretty sure if i did a new one,  it would definately have more work put into it.  :)

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2017, 00:34:20 »
Really sublime job, your diligence definitely shines through on this.  I enjoyed looking over the model and trying to figure out where IWM's work stopped and yours started.

I also appreciate the in-depth writeup.  While I have no intention of getting into this level of modification, it's still very interesting to read about this aspect of the hobby.
Hayden

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2017, 11:42:34 »
 :o I love your work of art. Thank for the pics.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2017, 15:38:12 »
That is wonderful! Its got all that old-school vibe to it, and I dig the Steiner logo you used. Beautiful mini! Now I want a Stalker
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2017, 15:47:12 »
This is GD work of art, amigo.  Every time I see pics like this, I realize what utter s**t my own paint jobs are.

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2017, 15:50:50 »
 O0
Life: Some assembly required!

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2017, 15:55:13 »
I think the Mini looks great Caz, 95% of us here on this forum would love to paint and mod as well as you and do. I know I do. And I know I wouldn't mind having that mini in my force. Well done!  O0 O0 O0
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2017, 17:09:34 »
Every time I see pics like this, I realize what utter s**t my own paint jobs are.

...95% of us here on this forum would love to paint and mod as well as you and do.

I'm not doing anything that I don't believe most people can't do. Also, my stuff didn't always look like this.

It does take time, patience, practice and desire though. And when I say desire, I mean you have to want to paint the mini to the best of your ability. I don't play, so I'm not rushed by a need for my work to be ready for an upcoming game or anything. This allows me to paint when I want to and spend as much time as needed. If I was trying to produce a company of Mechs in a week so I could game with them, my painting would suffer and the quality of work would go down.

The other thing is that each set of skills (painting, sculpting, reposing) is different. Just like you wouldn't ask a plumber to frame your house, you can't expect because you become proficient in one aspect that the others skills just come as bonuses. Each one requires its own development, tools and time to become proficient at (tools tend to be an aspect that I lot of people ignore, but that is a rant for another time)...

My best advice is try. Do something, whether painting, sculpting or reposing, post it and ask for feedback (feedback in this case does not mean hoping for a sting of  O0. It means asking the question "What could I have done better" and then listen to the advice). Don't be afraid to fail (I know I have and still do). Don't take the advice personally. Remember, it isn't about you, it is about getting better... Set a high standard for yourself, and then hold yourself to it. Some people wait for a mini exchange to "do their best work". Don't. Do that every time... Find a friend that can help. I know that one of the things that helped me the most was Diamond Shark. I don't post a lot of WIPs, but I certainly email them to him. And on those occasions I've gotten sloppy and try to just let poor quality slip through, he is more than willing to call me on it (trust me on this...  :) ). But it has to be a friend that is willing to tell you the truth and then have them push you... Lastly, don't paint in a bubble. Whether it is a painting club where everyone gets together to paint and exchange ideas, "how to" paint videos, or just asking someone how they do it, learn what you can from others. Remember, you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Caz

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2017, 19:25:56 »
Well done O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

pipeline

• Corporal
    • My painting blog
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2017, 23:12:21 »
so dope.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2017, 10:17:39 »
I'm not doing anything that I don't believe most people can't do.

You know, you say that, but you are selling yourself a bit short. The focus and dedication of time it takes to produce work at that quality IS something that many people can not make themselves do. While, in theory, they can spend the same time as you, there are many folks who honestly can't stay focused and interested enough to get work like this across the finish line. The history of half-finished 'project cars' across the country are testament to this.

Also, there are some mechanical limits that come into play as well. For example, I've discovered that my fine motor skills (which are probably average, not unusually bad or anything) only allow me to accurately work on details of a certain size. I quite literally cannot guarantee that I'll end up painting what I mean to when it comes to very fine details. This also limits how accurate I can be with panel highlights and blending on smaller surfaces. Basically, there is no point in me buying 0000 brushes because I don't have 0000 control! This kills me on the traditional lense flare effect. My inner 'rings' of color get sloppy and misshapen, and where that final white dot ends up is always a crap shoot!

Seriously, your work is well above average, and spending the time to get it there is absolutely part of your 'skill'.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 03 April 2017, 10:48:46 »
That is by far the best 3H i've seen so far. Congratulation for that mod.
Btw. i also like to play that variant.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #17 on: 04 April 2017, 02:46:42 »
Oh my gosh... :o

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2017, 10:40:27 »
Well, I'm a bit skeptical of the design, in-game, but your conversion looks pretty spiffy.  O0

Nice work, as usual.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2017, 19:43:38 »
Well, I'm a bit skeptical of the design, in-game, <snip>

Funny, I am too... Actually, I question all three Mechs I've done recently... An 80 ton Mech with just small lasers. A 30 ton Mech with an LRM-10 rack and a short range flamer. And then this one, which to me seems like an up tonnage Archer. I'd rather have kept the Large Lasers, dumped the SRM-6s, bumped the LRMs to 15 racks and picked up more ammo and a couple of extra heat sinks... But that is just me.

Caz

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 06 April 2017, 18:48:51 »
I actually like the 3H. The LRM ammo usually holds out just long enough to get into range for the mediums and SRMs to take over. Sure, a canny player can try to wait you out and keep you at arms length, but then you still get to throw two tons of LRMs at them, which isn't half bad. Plus, with 20 heat sinks and two tons of SRM ammo, you can afford to let loose with all the close range weapons even if the to-hit numbers aren't great.

hauptmann fanjoy

• CamoSpecs
  • Corporal
    • Heavy Gauss - Dave Fanjoy's Mech Gallery
« Reply #21 on: 09 April 2017, 20:21:31 »
My problem is that I don’t really enjoy the painting part as much anymore, so it takes a bit to motivate me to start painting…
Heh, I am literally the opposite.  From time to time I enjoy doing a good mod, but most of the time what stops me from painting is not wanting to have to assemble a mini. :D

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 10 April 2017, 14:59:29 »
This is a really great pose for the Stalker, it looks like it's naturally shifting its weight as it walks.

What other panel work did you do for this mech, and could you show the missile shaping tool you use? They came out great and I would like to know how you did it so I can borrow the idea. It sounds like you've created a missile stamp, but I would like to see if that's a good assumption.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 10 April 2017, 16:56:55 »
What other panel work did you do for this mech, and could you show the missile shaping tool you use?

My "missile shaping tool" isn't very impressive as it is nothing more than a piece of brass tubing... Most people poke or drill holes for the missile tubes, but if you use tubing, it doesn't just create a hole but instead creates a ring (the missile tub) around a little nub (the missile)... What I've learned from doing it this way is; You need enough room to lay down a layer of green stuff, let it set about an hour or so before trying to create the missiles (otherwise the whole mass of green stuff will shift) and to work through a thin layer of water so the tubing releases better (your missiles are better defined this way)... I do use a few different sizes of tubing and anything with a thick wall you may want to file down (filing the outer and inner edge is not a bad idea regardless of thickness actually)... But that is it. I like the missile look better than just the holes and it is a lot easier to do than drilling holes and making missile tips to glue inside them.

As for "What other panel work did you do for this Mech", I don't quite understand what you are looking for... Are you asking what else I changed?

Caz

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 10 April 2017, 21:46:28 »
****edit - just saw the write up on reply #4, never mind ****
« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 21:53:23 by Mwenski »

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2017, 05:12:16 »
Sweet! O0