Author Topic: VLK-QF Valkyrie / 1st Davion Guards RCT  (Read 3596 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
VLK-QF Valkyrie / 1st Davion Guards RCT
« on: 03 April 2017, 21:12:44 »
A little over two years ago, someone was discussing on the VLK-QD1 Valkyrie and let’s just say the comments were less than flattering. Having seen the newer Valkyrie, but not owning one, I went to my FLGS and purchased one. Once I had a chance to look at it I had to agree that the jump jets were too big, the fins on the shoulders look more like they belonged on a ’59 Cadillac and if Tony Stark ever built Stewie Griffin power armor I’m sure that’s what the head would have looked like… But underneath it all, the VLK-QD1 has some solid lines and all it needed was a little help. So I did.

The fins were easy enough to take care of, they got hacked off. The jump jets in the legs also got removed and the leg rebuilt. This also required the sculpting of more Unseen Valkyrie sides to the legs, as well as smaller ports on the back of the legs. The head once I saw it was a natural, but still required a little modifying and sculpting work. Because this is the VLK-QF, I also decided to modify the arm with a new barrel and tanks. I also moved the legs into a more running pose, but didn’t get the knee high enough so it may be more of a walk. The paint, gave me issues. Not the painting portion mind you, but the pallet. In my STK-3H Stalker post, I was talking about Reaper’s True Blue Triad, and planned to use it here. What I forgot was that the Stalker used Reaper’s Ultramarine Triad, which are more vivid blues. I got half way through using the True Blue, realized it was too light and started over. Fortunately, because the Valkyrie is a smaller ‘Mech, I only lost 1 day of painting. I like the end color, but I am still waffling back and forth between the True Blue Triad and the Ultramarine Triad. But it will be a while before I paint another, so I have until then.

Even adding insignias gave me a hard time on this one… Normally, I stop at CSO, check placement and go to town. The problem is, CSO will tell you what the Davion Guards insignia look like, but not where they go. Normally that gives me a lot of freedom, but then I ran into a snag. The original House Davion: The Federated Suns sourcebook, <1623>, on page 137, states “Only the RCT patch marks a Brigade member”. I took about an hour of trying to dig something up to confirm or deny this, but ended up only with artwork that suggest they use no other insignia than the RCT patch. So where normally I would decal it up, it only has the insignia for the 1st Davion Guards. That is why instead of it being on the arm or leg where I tend to put them, I went right up front on the torso.

Lastly, while this is the first mini specifically painted for the 1st Davion Guards, it is not my first Davion Guards mini. To my surprise, I have three already that were painted up but never really designated with an RCT. I have a plasTech Atlas, a Pegasus and a custom made Ferret. The first two were painted back in the early 80’s, while the Ferret was done about 2 years ago. I added a group picture just for fun.

As always: Comments, suggestions and steal-able ideas welcome…

Caz
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 17:31:45 by Cazaril »

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
Re: VLK-QF Valkyrie / 1st Davion Brigade of Guards
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2017, 23:19:07 »
A real feast for the eyes, Cazaril, especially the "group picture".  I've always loved that "classic" Davion Guards paint scheme, and you've certainly done it justice.

Somewhat tangentially, my favorite of these is the Ferret.  This has long been one of my favorite VTOLs in the game, and I've long hoped for a miniature to represent it.  I like the nice, clean lines, and the incredibly fine detail on the tail rotor.

Back to the main subject, the Valkyrie is quite good too!
Hayden

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2017, 23:30:03 »
Somewhat tangentially, my favorite of these is the Ferret.  This has long been one of my favorite VTOLs in the game, and I've long hoped for a miniature to represent it.  I like the nice, clean lines, and the incredibly fine detail on the tail rotor.

The original post for the Ferret is here, if you would like a couple of extra angles.

The tail rotor is custom built. I used a hoop of brass (cut from a longer piece of brass tubing), surrounded by a little strip styrene. Then made the trapezoid shaped back piece and rotor from a couple of more pieces of strip styrene... Simple, but I think it captured the tail nicely.

Caz

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2017, 02:41:08 »
Bravissimo. 8)

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2017, 11:58:46 »
The original post for the Ferret is here, if you would like a couple of extra angles.

The tail rotor is custom built. I used a hoop of brass (cut from a longer piece of brass tubing), surrounded by a little strip styrene. Then made the trapezoid shaped back piece and rotor from a couple of more pieces of strip styrene... Simple, but I think it captured the tail nicely.

Caz

Thanks Caz, I appreciate the link.  Was this a conversion from another mini, or a scratch build?
Hayden

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2017, 14:27:42 »
 :o ...Stunning work, Caz!! This might very well be the best Valk miniature to date. Lovely head. Congrats on the sculpting work. And the paint; superb. Although, I think you need a side-by-side pic with the original unmodified reseen miniature-- so folks can see the level of work here... Great stuff. [notworthy] 

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2017, 15:55:28 »
 O0

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2017, 19:24:38 »
Was this a conversion from another mini, or a scratch build?

I'm going to assume you are talking about the Ferret and not the Valkyrie... The Ferret was a conversion. While I will scratch build grebble and some other types of parts, I'm not about to try a full scale scratch build. I like things I can repeat, and I don't have it in me to try and repeat entire minis... The Ferret started life as a Tef Dragonfly Gunship;

The wings went. The engine intakes went, as did the tail assembly. I used the provided cannon with the Ferret, by using the side mount as something to pin it in with. I want to say it also took some reshaping of the front and fuselage.

I think you need a side-by-side pic with the original unmodified reseen miniature-- so folks can see the level of work here...

I don't have another one of these to use for comparison, so I'm using one that Psycho posted two years ago at CSO.

Caz
« Last Edit: 04 April 2017, 19:28:02 by Cazaril »

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2017, 09:22:59 »
Yeah, man... brilliant work!! Thx... 8)

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2017, 17:09:38 »
Now I want to try to mod mine to something like this.  Very nice work, Caz.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2017, 19:37:16 »
Now I want to try to mod mine to something like this.

If you are truly interested, let me know and I'll try to work up a tutorial... A little warning first though. The hardest thing about copying this conversion is that the head is from a Reaper Spitfire and I believe they are OOP. While another head could work, the vent in the back torso comes from the Spitfire also and would also need to be replaced with something else. Therefore getting the parts may be your rate limiting step...

Caz

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2017, 19:45:02 »
I'm going to assume you are talking about the Ferret and not the Valkyrie... The Ferret was a conversion. While I will scratch build grebble and some other types of parts, I'm not about to try a full scale scratch build. I like things I can repeat, and I don't have it in me to try and repeat entire minis... The Ferret started life as a Tef Dragonfly Gunship;

The wings went. The engine intakes went, as did the tail assembly. I used the provided cannon with the Ferret, by using the side mount as something to pin it in with. I want to say it also took some reshaping of the front and fuselage.

I don't have another one of these to use for comparison, so I'm using one that Psycho posted two years ago at CSO.

Caz

You assumed correctly, i thank you for the time you took to give such a detailed response!
Hayden

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2017, 21:17:27 »
I need to remind myself to add fuel tanks for any flamer mods.   Thanks Caz!

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2017, 22:37:41 »
I need to remind myself to add fuel tanks for any flamer mods.

Technically... I believe the addition of fuel tanks are incorrect. My understanding is that it is some by product of the fusion engine and does not require expendables. Hence the difference between Flamers and Vehicle Flamers, and the fact that Vehicle Flamers need "ammunition".

Aesthetically... They are awesome and you can't beat them!!! And if you are going to have a Flamer, you should show it...  :D

Caz

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2017, 22:04:14 »
I'm interested in how you modified the jump jets. Did you cut away the nozzles and reattach them after removing the remainder of the jump jet port?

Fantastic looking Valkyrie. The vehicles are also great.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2017, 22:22:14 »
Amazing work, Cazaril.  Just amazing detail and awesome paint job.  The head is brilliantly done, the mini truely feels like its more direct descendant of the Valkyrie done right.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2017, 12:22:46 »
Please provide the step by step to IWM so they can resculpt the re-seen valk to look like this.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2017, 17:57:45 »
Sweet! O0

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2017, 09:14:48 »
Great stuff, nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Register