Author Topic: My 3 OpFors in one thread, part 2: 8th Sword of Light!  (Read 5047 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
So, having found an acceptable (if not great) camera, I'm gonna be posting pictures of my Battletech units in this thread - aside from the mercenary White Hat battalion, which I've already put on this forum in this thread right here - until I, well, run out of units to post.

Anything I do in the future (like the Ghost Bear Cluster I've got planned for when the Clan boxed set comes out) will also be posted here, I think - I mean, why clutter up the forum with multiple threads when one can edit the title of a thread to reflect any changes within said thread?

Anyway, here's my 5th Crucis Lancers, or 19 'Mechs of them at least. (I'd forgotten that one of my Hunchbacks was actually slated to be in this unit, but mixing up the proper color isn't worth it for just a single 'Mech, so... that one stays unpainted til I get my next boxed set).

The command lance - all jump capable, with a TDR-5SE and a Victor. The dark ink on green wash is great; but sadly the camera STILL washes out the detail on the white. I'll probably be revising the shoulder pack of the TDR when I add more 'Mechs to the Crucis Lancers; but until then... it'll have to stay a mess.

The Victor here is by far my favorite of the Crucis Lancers lot. Even though it's a very static pose, something about it is just right.

The Fire Support lance, with a converted Jagermech and some smoke added to the Archer's launchers via steel wool. The hair on the Cyclops' arm is courtesy of a cute li'l kitten I've got romping around here - thanks, Tubby!

Some extra sprue, a pair of barrels clipped from a can of air cleaner's straw, and a bit  of greenstuff = the usable variant of the Jagermech. Plus, I lost one of his arms when the cat knocked down my Btech display and mission killed 18 'Mechs, so I kinda had to do this...

The Attack Lance - nothing much of mention here, aside from the camera once again washing out all the white on the Orion. The Enforcer and Awesome are IBT minis; I love the plastic in those because it's so easy to cut and convert. Not like....

That 'Mech in the middle (that I use as a Watchman with no CASE in 3025-games) is only a slight conversion from the ancient PlasTech Panther with a Space marine head, and man... I had to bust out the jeweler's saw for it.

Closer detail on the conversion - I also nipped off his hands and replaced them with more detailed Space Marine ones. Now I just have to figure out what to convert the plastic (ugly) Valks that came in the PlasTech box into...

Lastly is the Recon lance. Of minor note are the Valkyries made from old 3rd Edition plastic Wasps - I only wanted one bug 'Mech (Stinger/Wasp) in each unit, so I used the three extra plastic Wasps for Valks and turned the extra Stinger into... well, you'll see.

Finally, a group shot to show how the unit looks as a whole. Nice and stand-outish, even against the primarily green background.

I chose the 5th Crucis Lancers scheme because I knew that I wanted Kuritan/Davion units for my non-pirate and non-merc units, that my Kuritan unit would be Sword of Light, so a green scheme would be perfect for contrasting against the SoL's red. (And any 3025 grognard who wants to say that fluff says the 5th Crucis didn't have a 'mech regiment in the SW-era... go call an Elemental freebirth).

By the way, if you want to know why I'm constantly bitching about my camera situation, here's a pic I took of the exact same unit over a year ago with my old camera, that required no touching up at all or extra work at all but a bit of resizing:

By contrast, I had to get deep into the 'new' camera's settings, then fiddle with it in photoshop to get even close to the right lighting, and even THEN it didn't read whites right. *sigh* Seriously, I'm still mad at my ex-roommate for getting grit into my old camera's focusing devices and trying to fix it himself.

Anyway, next up, 5 lances of the Sword of Light!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: My 3 OpFors in one thread, part 1: 5th Crucis Lancers!
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2011, 05:44:03 »
Some excellent work there.

I love the oldschool Watchman you made up.
Great work.

Great work on the minor mods as well.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2011, 05:49:04 »
O0

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2011, 06:03:29 »
Sweet mechs [rockon]

Love the Thud
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2011, 06:11:44 »
Great looking Lancers!  8)

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2011, 06:22:24 »
Very nice 8).
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
  • We will deal with your rebel farmers soon enough..
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2011, 07:40:16 »
i'm actually impressed with the space marine head swap. it looks good!
nice work, sir!
Spaceman has his own blog now!
http://spaceman-spiff-studio.blogspot.com/

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2011, 08:26:38 »
 [rockon]
Life: Some assembly required!

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2011, 09:41:56 »
Those Lancers are looking good.  O0
Made by HikageMaru

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2011, 10:59:17 »
Hahah. Loved the use of the Beakie Space Marine helmet!

Saatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2011, 18:01:16 »
Love it! That's my "home" unit,  you've done them proud.

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2011, 18:23:44 »
LoL, had to double take on that Space Marine helmet. Nice job by the way. Man thats a lot of mechs.
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2011, 21:27:44 »
Awesome work!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2011, 00:00:05 »
From thy lips, Spacemanspiff, those words mean... er, something or other. Heh. Same for the rest of y'all; everyone I play with up here pretty much takes painted minis for granted. "Oh, what do you mean you don't have the Necromunda Goliaths painted?"  :-\

I picked the beaky-head because it had a small blister on the side that looks as though it could be for a medium laser or some other head armament; though I had to trim off the beak itself (obviously) because with a full beak it just looked like a Space Marine in some weird Mk suit.  #P

One thing I'd like to mention, too, is the reason I don't have lance designations/kill markers/unit insignia is because I eventually want to build each unit up to a full battalion, so putting on lance designations before then would be a bit premature. :D

Anyway, here's 5 lances worth of the 8th Sword of Light!

First, a general overview of them all together:

I like these guys. Can't help it, there's something about red and black that just makes me smile.

One thing I may not have mentioned before is that my primary focus on painting wargaming minis is 'getting them painted decently and looking good as a whole unit', not 'making each mini into a work of art.' Way I see it, if I get them all done decently, I'm free to do up each one later at my leisure into incredible works - but if I only focus on a few at a time, I get discouraged.

That doesn't mean I don't LIKE looking at the works of art, and that I haven't done some in the past, but I don't like focusing exclusively on them. *ahem* anyway...

The Command Lance, complete with an Atlas that came straight from the IBT (with plenty of Greenstuff to help it actually NOT look anorexic.) My greatest annoyance is the metal Warhammer; I moved last August and somehow the launcher and searchlight got lost. They'd broken off beforehand in the same War of Cat Destruction, and I could swear I stashed them someplace safe to glue back on later, but... *sigh* Need to find new bits to use, now.

A better shot of the Atlas, complete with destroyed Stinger. I hadn't known exactly what scheme I was going to pick from the Davion lineup when I did this guy, so I went with a generic camo scheme.... that illustrates why camo just doesn't work too well in Battletech. When I do another batch of Crucis Lancers I'll probably break the Atlas off his base and do the Stinger up along with those guys. 'Course, it means some CL 'Mech will have to get SoL-related debris...

Reinforced Attack Lance, complete with the Ostgunn-modded mini. (5/8, 60t, 1xAC/20, 2xML, 9t armor... works brutally well with the other Osts out there.) The Commando I find reasonable as battle salvage, and it makes a great finisher for the rest of the lance's victims...

The Light Fire lance, complete with Whitworth, Panther, and Griffin - yes, the Griffin is holding a 40k Plasma Pistol. I couldn't stand my Griffins having their hands permanently linked to their hips, so a bit of surgery later...

Recon Lance. My favorite part of this unit is actually the antennae on the Wasp/Phoenix Hawk. Rather than just have them straight up...

I slicked back the Wasp's, and pointed the Pixie's forward. I personally think the Wasp looks the sharpest.

The Fire Support Lance. The Zeus is, again, battle salvage (and works well as a trooper supporting the Fire Lance), and the Crusader's launcher smoke is, once again, courtesy of steel wool. The Rifleman...

It never sat well with me that the mini has four identical-looking guns, but two pairs of two, so I set to tinkering with it, and gave it a more interesting pose while I was at it. The bottom guns are from Battlefleet Gothic Imperial Cruiser antennae (and proves the value of having a bottomless bits box! Now if I could just figure out what to do with the extra fighter bays from said sprue...) And yes, I drilled little holes in the top guns as well. It's a plastic mini, but I assure you that even if I had the metal one I would have done the exact same thing to it.

Anyway, next up my pirate band/ComStar/WoB/other random baddies unit!

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
Re: My 3 OpFors in one thread, part 2: 8th Sword of Light!
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2011, 04:41:46 »
I like the rifleman conversion, very nice!
"I think it was two ninjas taped together to make one giant ninja!"

The First Proserpina Hussars were eager to fight the Smoke Jaguars, but the commanders assigned them to attack worlds held by Clan Nova Cat instead. They faced a hard fight on Kanowit, but took Mualang by winning a round of miniature golf. This obviously minimized further losses.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: My 3 OpFors in one thread, part 2: 8th Sword of Light!
« Reply #15 on: 12 June 2011, 06:32:10 »
Excellent force.
I hope we get to hear about them being crushed by the Davions. :)