Author Topic: 1st & 2nd Generation OmniMechs 2855-3010 from S.gage Golden Century Campaign  (Read 25333 times)

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
The role of OmniVehicles in the Clans was likely controversial because of the application of modular components to these 'inferior combat machines.' Who is going to waste the Kerenskies on building these things besides Hell's Horses and endure the potential scorn of the more hidebound Clans like Coyote, Jade Falcon, and Smoke Jaguar? Right now Wolf is possible I suppose on the experimental front cause they were always cunning and may have sought some sort of advantage but more likely Hell's Horses is your best bet because of their philosophy. I don't see it as a Fire Mandrill project cause the Kindraa are always wrecking their stuff and don't have the unity or time to develop such a concept. Blood Spirit just outright lacks the resources and has to be wise in order to conserve their energies. Probably best discussed in another thread, yes.

Well, we can make an argument for seven Clans tolerating or even embracing OmniVehicles, but even among these, most likely would not bother to make them. The rest use Combat Vehicles a bit, but I don't think they are likely enough to even deserve consideration.

The Blood Spirits have the resources of an impoverished Clan. They also use Combat Vehicles, a bit.
The Burrocks adapt.
The Cloud Cobras use Combat Vehicles, but in roles OmniVehicles don't make sense.
The Fire Mandrills have so many Kindraa in 1870s, there is the opportunity, and small touman size may force their deployment out of necessity. But do individual Kindraa they have the manufacturing capability? That makes them unlikely.
The Hell's Horses have always embraced Combat Vehicles.
The Sea Foxes could build them and trade them away.
The Wolves seize opportunity.

To me, the Burrocks, Horses, Sea Foxes, and Wolves make the most sense. The Burrocks make sense because we know they adapt their tactics, but not much else, and as we learn more, that might change. The Horses would use them in all facets of warfare, they are a good choice. But in my mind the Sea Foxes and Wolves are the best choice, and I believe they introduced the Bandit and the Badger.

The two earliest known OmniVehicles, the Badger and the Bandit, appear in 2875. Fast and with 5-ton infantry compartments, their primary role is deploying battle armor, critical to many Clans' newly evolving combat doctrine and technology. While mechanized battle armor will become the preferred method of deployment, in 2875 it is too physically punishing for non-Elemental phenotype Battle Armor. The Wolves only obtained Elemental breeding protocols five years earlier, meaning it would likely be 2885-2890 before we see widespread deployment of Elementals among most of the Clans. As a short-term solution, fast OmniVehicles like the Bandit and Badger used to deploy battle armor are a great solution. I personally favor the Wolves introducing both because Wolf's Dragoons have a lot of them, and had the production schematics, but arguments could be made for other Clans.

Where does that leave other Combat Vehicle roles? I don't know. But I have some ideas...
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
Ah, very good. The initial Trickster OmniMechs (intriguing cause the Clans don't play tricks especially Coyote but you can see at this point in history they are certainly pushing the bounds of what is acceptable) would be the Coyotl (#1), the Lupus (#2), along with the assault Warlock and an unnamed Light I'll assume. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the Trickster Initiative.
Lastly, can't wait to see how Sea Fox factors in on all of this. Does the Grand Council direct all challenges to Coyote? Are they protected by some sort of agreement made during the develop of the OmniMech which they help facilitate??

I understand but because of the configurations things get a bit fuzzy on what an Executioner B really is. ;)

The first reference I remember to Clan Coyote was in Invading Clans (1994). Described as the inventor of the OmniMech, I thought at the time the Clan animal was chosen because Coyote is generally considered a trickster in Native American myth. And being able to customize loadout after your batchall is pretty tricky.

RE: Sea Foxes, they say in FM:WC they allowed the Coyotes to take most of the attention. Maybe that is the reason, but I really don't know. there may have been some dealing going on.

RE: Executioner B vs. Executioner-B, yes this could be confusing.
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

Charistoph

• Major
I think Hell's Horses would have been the ones to create the first OmniVehicle, as they would be one of the few who would bother having such as a dedicated front-line unit.

Speaking of such concepts, I wonder why we haven't seen dedicated "Novas" of Combat Vehicles and Battle Armor.  Admittedly, I haven't gone back to look at Hell's Horses (the most likely candidate) info in some time.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
I think Hell's Horses would have been the ones to create the first OmniVehicle, as they would be one of the few who would bother having such as a dedicated front-line unit.

Speaking of such concepts, I wonder why we haven't seen dedicated "Novas" of Combat Vehicles and Battle Armor.  Admittedly, I haven't gone back to look at Hell's Horses (the most likely candidate) info in some time.

While it won’t happen until much later the Ghost Bear Polaris drop ship was designed around transporting BA/combat vee Supernova Binaries.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
I largely agree with you, and I very much wanted to make mechanized battle armor capability the defining characteristic of 2nd Generation OmniMechs, too, but when I asked here, Wantec indicated the term was nebulous (at least as of 2013) and also involved a combination of factors, not the least of which was the ability to construct OmniMechs with an Endo-Steel chassis, Ferro Fibrous armor, and an XL fusion engine.

Mechanizing Battlearmor really doesn't seem to be all that complex and could be (at least IMO) retrofitted onto first generation OmniMechs without much trouble. Then again, I never understood why a regular BattleMech couldn't just utilize this technology (handholds) either. Clan tactical bias (Elementals and OmniMechs being frontline units) seems to be primary driver here.

I am still working on my Quicksilver Trials TRO for the Clans in my Salient Horizon setting which deals with further OmniVehicle and standard Combat Vehicle development for them. I don't want to sidetrack the discussion off of early OmniMechs further but I can with details of that if you wish. Tis non canon.  ;)

Charistoph

• Major
Mechanizing Battlearmor really doesn't seem to be all that complex and could be (at least IMO) retrofitted onto first generation OmniMechs without much trouble. Then again, I never understood why a regular BattleMech couldn't just utilize this technology (handholds) either. Clan tactical bias (Elementals and OmniMechs being frontline units) seems to be primary driver here.

It's not just the handholds, it's that a standard BattleMech's gyro is dedicated to a specific balance of the 'Mech, while an OmniMech's is required to be balanced more on the fly.  This effectively allows the OmniMech to handle Battle Armor units hitching a ride without difficulty, while the BattleMech has to dedicate resources to maintaining balance (represented by a reduction in Movement).
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

CVB

• Captain
You are of course correct that this is the official line, but when an AC20-variant Urby can move normally after losing an arm with almost half his weight far on one side, it's hard to argue that four or five tons of cooperating Elementals around the torso would unbalance a mech.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Charistoph

• Major
You are of course correct that this is the official line, but when an AC20-variant Urby can move normally after losing an arm with almost half his weight far on one side, it's hard to argue that four or five tons of cooperating Elementals around the torso would unbalance a mech.

There's a difference between losing weight that's accounted for and adding weight that is not accounted for.  Mechs lose limbs and mass, that's one of the reasons why there is a PSR for damage, and special rules for when more damage is done.

CVB

• Captain
I think I could lose a limb (by crit) without a PSR, and losing a limb shifts the centre of gravity much more than distributing 4-5 BA around the torso. And yet even with a PSR it's just a one time event, while mounted  BA hinder the mech every turn.
And adding 4-5% of distributed, cooperating weight to an Atlas is worse than picking up 10% of cargo or an unbalanced tree?
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

S.gage

• Lieutenant

I have not come to a conclusion regarding the Xibalba. It is quite different from the new heavy OmniMech, and from a lot of other published Omnis from this period. When I do, I will let you know.

Enjoy TP:Foster, and Death to the Chalcas William Smythe (lol)!

Hello Everyone,

After re-reading the Xibalba entry again, I realized there was no way it could have been a First Generation OmniMech. The Xibalba is constructed at Zuni OPC on Foster, and Clan Coyote did not take Possession of Foster enclaves until the Smythe-Jewel Absorption of 2872. The name reference, while it is an indigenous North American mythological reference, is specific to an underworld, a "Hell". I realized all along my source for the Xibalba had left out that it was a nod to Clan Hell's Horses, and their mechanized Battle Armor tactics. I will be modifying the Xibalba accordingly.

And of course, if we discover any more information about early OmniMechs and their later uses, I will post here. Thanks!

S.gage

S.gage

• Lieutenant
Hello,
I just caught rumor of an Experimental Clan Ice Hellion 2nd Generation OmniMech dating from the late 2800s. It is fast for its size and is named for another predator indigenous to Hector, but it appears to have not been put in full production. The OmniMech was either difficult to manufacture, expensive, or both. When I find out more about the OmniMech, I will share the details.
S.gage

S.gage

• Lieutenant
Remora

Mass: 85 tons
Chassis: Hellion Assault V1
Power Plant: Magnaline Large Extra-Light Fusion Engine
Cruising Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h (108 km/h with MASC)
Fixed Jump Jets: 0
Armor: Compound Beta Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
16 tons of Pod Space
Manufacturer: Fallen Tower Testing & Manufacturing Facility
Primary Factory: Babylon
Communications System: FTT 2890 1.8
Targeting and Tracking System: FTT 2890 2.8

Clan Ice Hellion has always espoused a faster-paced style of combat, and has long devoted resources to the advancement of technologies to make their fast BattleMechs more capable. The Hellions Scientist Caste pioneered early Clan advances in miniaturizing endo-steel structure (IO, p. 48). Additionally, upon winning OmniMech technology from Clan Coyote (FM:CC, p. 76, "Golden Rebirth"), Hellion scientist also pioneered adaptions to Clan ferro-fibrous armor, allowing for improved compatibility with extra-light fusion engines and endo-steel structure in their OmniMechs. These modifications were later adopted by many Clans (C: WoK, p. 85, "Clan Ice Hellion") (FM: CC, p. 76, "Golden Rebirth"). However, endo-steel, ferro-fibrous, and xl fusion engines only spare space and tonnage, allowing modest improvements in survivability and offensive capabilities. OmniMechs are still limited by their total mass, especially in durability.

Around 2850, Clan Ice Hellion scientists on Babylon began to recognize the limits of the Hellion’s lighter touman. Knowing the Clan would not accept slower BattleMechs in an effort to decrease attrition, one group of scientists began to experiment with applying the mass-saving materials used in Clan xl fusion engine technology to Large Fusion Engines, primarily found in superheavy equipment used by the lower castes (IO, p. 44). These experimental “Large XL Fusion Engines” ended up having little practical combat value for the Clan, because their rapidly increasing mass, even using the lightest materials available, left prototype BattleMechs with only modest increases in speed, and little mass remaining for offensive loadout.

To the leadership of Clan Ice Hellion, this was a poor sacrifice. Though faster and/or a bit more likely to survive, Hellion tactics required a combination of speed and striking power. Sacrificing too much offensive capability was therefore not tolerable to the Hellion Warriors. Combined with the exorbitant costs of these experimental engines, the Hellions shelved the idea, and few other Clans took notice.

In 2885, Clan Ice Hellion scientists resurrected the concept with another prototype, albeit briefly. Because OmniMechs are especially useful in a touman favoring speed, Clan Ice Hellion began using OmniMechs for offensive operations whenever possible. As important as OmniMechs were to the Hellion touman, their greater price tag itself became a hinderance, only mitigated by the lower costs required to produce lighter machines. However, the decreased durability of the Hellions’ OmniMechs meant they had limited service-time before requiring replacement.

In order to solve the issue of Hellion OmniMech attrition, and at the same time restart research into large xl fusion engines, Hellion scientists proposed testing a new, larger prototype OmniMech, capable of speeds impossible using standard engine technology. They reasoned the higher expense of building OmniMechs with large xl fusion engines would be offset by the increase in survivability. A larger OmniMech would also give the Hellion touman a little more endurance. The Khans of Clan Ice Hellion agreed to the prototype program, and the Remora began field testing five years later in October, 2890.

Capabilities

The Remora is named for the large, fast, predatory iceworms of Hector, a distant relative of the Eden burrock, but which can reach much larger size in Hector’s arctic wastes. The Remora is 85 tons, and powered by a 425-rated large xl fusion engine. This oversized engine gives the Remora the capability of sustained runs of over 86 km/h, unheard of in an 85-ton ‘Mech, but in addition the Remora can also sprint over 100 km/h using MASC. The Remora also has sufficient Podspace for 16 tons of equipment. The OmniMech mounts 11.5 tons of ferro-fibrous armor. While still not extremely durable, the Remora has nearly 50% more armor and structure compared with the similarly mobile Thresher.

Despite its potential on paper, the Remora had an inauspicious start. Production of the first prototype of the Remora was halted mid-fabrication and the designers were reprimanded because Clan Ice Hellion leadership discovered the designers were building a Quad OmniMech. Clan Ice Hellion’s Khans chastised the scientists, and insisted the Hellion touman would only accept the larger OmniMech if it were a standard, bipedal design, allowing flippable arms and sufficient Podspace to mount larger ballistic weapons. The scientists had originally intended for the Remora to be a Quad OmniMech, to make use of its speed in lateral movement. The designers reworked the prototype and schematics together, modifying the original prototype as the design was redrafted. When the first prototype took to the testing field, the long, Quad torso had been adapted to new hips and legs. Rather than resembling the iceworms of Hector, the design now resembled a Marauder IIC, but with small vestigial arms mounted on shoulders near the back of the frame, forward hinging knees, and a larger, wider, hulking torso. The design’s appearance was decidedly un-Hellion-like, and did not have the aesthetic appeal of recent Hellion ‘Mechs.

The first prototypes went through their paces, and standard configurations were established for the OmniMech, with almost all weapon systems mounted in the arms. The Primary configuration paired ER PPCs with ER Small Lasers, and ran relatively cool. Configuration A was a fire-support OmniMech, combining paired LRM-20s and ER Medium Lasers. B Configuration mounted paired ER Large Lasers in the arms, but also had 4 ER Medium Lasers as secondary weapons. “D” combined Pulse Lasers, an advanced Targeting Computer, and an Active Probe. In a twist, none of the standard configurations mounted ballistic weapons, though there was barely enough Podspace to mount 20-class Autocannons or Gauss Rifles.

Deployment

Clan Ice Hellion never deployed the Remora. While the Remora’s improved durability could have been an asset to Clan Ice Hellion, the OmniMech’s limited Podspace meant it was similarly armed to the Hunter, the Nova, the Crossbow, or the brand-new, 30-ton Kit Fox. The similarly mobile Thresher also boasted nearly 50% more weaponry.

Moreover, Warriors within Clan Ice Hellion were not terribly impressed by the speed of the fastest Assault OmniMech yet conceived, because it was only “fast for an Assault”. Unconvinced the increased durability was worth the loss of firepower, and unswayed by the still-modest speed, the Remora failed to sufficiently impress, and the Star’s worth of prototypes were shelved at Fallen Tower. As for large xl engines, the technology would again sit dormant for another 200 years. As part of their building, albeit short-lived, détente (WoR, pp. 35-36, “Quiet Movements”), Clan Ice Hellion traded large xl engine schematics to Clan Hell’s Hores in 3068.

When the Remora was shelved, the same team of scientists had been working on schematics for two more new OmniMechs utilizing large xl fusion engines. However the extreme mass of the LXL engines meant drafts of both subsequent prototypes had paper-thin armor, and very limited Podspace, and even more limited utility. Neither project had come to the point of naming before being canceled.

Remora (2890)

BASE

Code: [Select]
Remora

Mass: 85 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Biped Omnimech
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-E-D
Production Year: 2890
Dry Cost: 53,525,510 C-Bills
Total Cost: 53,525,510 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,173

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 425 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h (108.0 km/h)
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    16.0 tons of pod space.
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   130 points                4.50
    Internal Locations: 3 LT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             425                      40.00
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8 (10)
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             12(24)                    2.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               5.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 220                 11.50
    Armor Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     27           39       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  10       
                                           L/R Torso     18           26       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  7         
                                             L/R Arm     14           22       
                                             L/R Leg     18           26       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MASC                                         RT        -         3         3.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 28

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 12
6          0       0       0       0      4     0   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: OMNI, ENE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

CONFIGURATIONS

Loadout Name: Prime                                          Cost: 55,006,667
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-E-D                       BV2: 2,617

Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             15(30)                    3.00

ER PPC                                       RA        15        2         6.00
ER Small Laser                               RA        2         1         0.50
ER PPC                                       LA        15        2         6.00
ER Small Laser                               LA        2         1         0.50
                                            Free Critical Slots: 16

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 26
6          4       4       3       0      4     0   Structure:  5

Loadout Name: A                                              Cost: 55,403,010
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-E-D                       BV2: 2,418

CASE Locations: LA, RA                                                 0.00

LRM-20                                       RA        6         4         5.00
ER Medium Laser                              RA        5         1         1.00
LRM-20                                       LA        6         4         5.00
ER Medium Laser                              LA        5         1         1.00
@LRM-20 (12)                                 RA        -         2         2.00
@LRM-20 (12)                                 LA        -         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 14

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 24
6          4       4       3       0      4     0   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: OMNI, CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, LRM 2/2/2, IF 2

Loadout Name: B                                              Cost: 55,637,635
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-E-D                       BV2: 2,638

CASE Locations: LT                                                     0.00

Streak SRM-6                                 LT        4         2         3.00
ER Large Laser                               RA        12        1         4.00
2 ER Medium Lasers                           RA        10        2         2.00
ER Large Laser                               LA        12        1         4.00
2 ER Medium Lasers                           LA        10        2         2.00
@Streak SRM-6 (15)                           LT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 19

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 26
6          4       4       2       0      4     2   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: OMNI, CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Loadout Name: C                                              Cost: 54,813,573
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-E-D                       BV2: 2,280

Active Probe                                 LT        0         1         1.00
Targeting Computer                           LT        -         3         3.00
Small Pulse Laser                            RA        2         1         1.00
Medium Pulse Laser                           RA        4         1         2.00
Large Pulse Laser                            RA        10        2         6.00
Small Pulse Laser                            LA        2         1         1.00
Medium Pulse Laser                           LA        4         1         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 18

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 23
6          4       4       2       0      4     0   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: OMNI, PRB, RCN, ENE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

References Used to Write The Background for The Remora
Field Manual: Crusader Clans
The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky
The Wars of Reaving
Interstellar Operations
« Last Edit: 28 August 2023, 11:40:08 by S.gage »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
Not a bad Level 3 design, I could see the Society picking up along the way. However, the price tag is enormous and because of that plus the big engine there is no way this would be put into production.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
Not a bad Level 3 design, I could see the Society picking up along the way. However, the price tag is enormous and because of that plus the big engine there is no way this would be put into production.

You’re exactly right, and that is why it never left the prototype stage.

The Star League (TH) tinkered with military Large Fusion Engines (IO), but abandoned them because they were too large to allow the ‘Mech any armor and weapons.

CIH tinkered with LXL (IO), and it makes sense they would try it out if the Hellions thought maybe using LXLs conferred an advantage for their style of combat. LXLs did not, and the Hellions abandoned them. One could conjecture the price for LXLs might drop if they became common, but we’ll never know because they never became common.

As any scorpion can tell you, “Star League knows best” lol.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2022, 20:04:34 by S.gage »

S.gage

• Lieutenant

I am still working on my Quicksilver Trials TRO for the Clans in my Salient Horizon setting which deals with further OmniVehicle and standard Combat Vehicle development for them. I don't want to sidetrack the discussion off of early OmniMechs further but I can with details of that if you wish. Tis non canon.  ;)

I am also concerned about derailing the discussion, but this would be really cool to see. Do you have a thread or link you could share? Or maybe we can start a new section on OmniVehicles. I also have a Clan Vehicle thread you could use here.

I am continuing research on Clan OmniMechs, and I want to see if I can dig up a little more history before finishing the thread with new configurations observed in Clan space and the deep periphery during and after the Wars of Reaving.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2022, 13:47:40 by S.gage »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
There is a bunch of them. Seven to be precise. Here is the first.

A Proposal for a Quicksilver OmniVehicle
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/vehicle-factory/a-proposal-for-a-quicksilver-omnivehicle/

S.gage

• Lieutenant
There is a bunch of them. Seven to be precise. Here is the first.

A Proposal for a Quicksilver OmniVehicle
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/vehicle-factory/a-proposal-for-a-quicksilver-omnivehicle/

I’m having trouble with the link, maybe because I’m not subscribed to this website…? Do you have another link?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech

S.gage

• Lieutenant
You can try this one

Quicksilver Program #30: Clan Helicopter Gunship
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/vehicle-factory/quicksilver-program-30-clan-helicopter-gunship/

Unfortunately, both links are giving me problems. It probably is because I do not have a login for this website. Here is the return from the first link:

Too few arguments to function httpBL_look_for_empty_ip(), 0 passed in /home3/jk514284/public_html/forum/Sources/httpBL_Subs.php on line 680 and exactly 1 expected

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
I apologize S.gage and will pass this info along to MechRat so that Knightmare will address it.

To summarize the Quicksilver Trials begin after the Truce of Tukayyid in my Clarion Call setting as part of Operation Restoration. This new plan proposed to the Grand Council by a character of mine with the approval of the ilKhan does several things to upgrade Clan preparedness in the lead up to Stalkas Nomen (3067 and the eventual resumption of the invasion). The Trials themselves first - optimize existing equipment (these Reconfigurations essentially set new modular packages for OmniMechs in service for best possible future performance), second - (Filling the Gaps) design new OmniMechs to fill unoccupied niches (every tonnage from 20 to 100) in the three established combat roles (Werewolf or Speedster fastest XL available expensive, Vampire or Assailant smaller XL max weapons, and Zombie or Defender slower fusion engine max armor cheap), third - expansion to other equipment including Fighters and Armor in much the same way. Many new designs created and yes, I am working on putting this altogether still. It is quite a lot of stuff.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
I apologize S.gage and will pass this info along to MechRat so that Knightmare will address it.

To summarize the Quicksilver Trials begin after the Truce of Tukayyid in my Clarion Call setting as part of Operation Restoration. This new plan proposed to the Grand Council by a character of mine with the approval of the ilKhan does several things to upgrade Clan preparedness in the lead up to Stalkas Nomen (3067 and the eventual resumption of the invasion). The Trials themselves first - optimize existing equipment (these Reconfigurations essentially set new modular packages for OmniMechs in service for best possible future performance), second - (Filling the Gaps) design new OmniMechs to fill unoccupied niches (every tonnage from 20 to 100) in the three established combat roles (Werewolf or Speedster fastest XL available expensive, Vampire or Assailant smaller XL max weapons, and Zombie or Defender slower fusion engine max armor cheap), third - expansion to other equipment including Fighters and Armor in much the same way. Many new designs created and yes, I am working on putting this altogether still. It is quite a lot of stuff.

Sounds like an interesting premise and a lot of work! That would be interesting to see.
S.gage

S.gage

• Lieutenant
Hi everyone,
In doing some more research, I discovered Clan Coyote had been quietly upgrading their Talaria OmniMech to become a true, Second Generation OmniMech. The details of the new OmniMech are currently elusive, but there appears to be some promising leads. Even if we discover more about the Talaria's successor, this OmniMech was produced on New Kent at a facility that was all but destroyed in the mid 2950s, and is likely consigned to the past.
S.gage

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
What is the source for this new lead?

S.gage

• Lieutenant
What is the source for this new lead?

I found this information by complete chance. My first lead was reading through some of the Warrior Codices of the Rosanke Bloodhouse to get a better idea of the Warriors of this Bloodname. I stumbled upon one Star Captain Jamie Rosanke, and saw that she had been assigned a Petasos OmniMech in 2953. The Codex included descriptions of several Trials in which Star Captain Rosanke had defeated a few in single combat, including Star Commander Bertram Showers, a veteran of the 2nd Jaguar Guards, piloting a Mist Lynx on Albion. I had seen Petasos mentioned in the reports from the destruction of Ernst OPC, but I believed at the time Petasos was the nickname of a particular Talaria, given their relationship.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
It took a long time to piece this story together, because the details of this OmniMech were largely lost to history or hidden. What I have discovered changes some of our understanding of later Clan history, or at least gives us more insight into the nebulous tech progression of the later Golden Century. Bear this in mind as you read it.

S.gage

Petasos

Mass: 30 tons
Chassis: Talaria Mk.II Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Fusion 240 XL
Cruising Speed: 86.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 130 km/h (173 km/h with Experimental Supercharger)
Fixed Jump Jets: 0
Armor: CI 99 Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
10 tons of Pod Space
1 Supercharger (fixed)
Manufacturer: Ernst OmniMech Production Complex
Primary Factory: New Kent
Communications System: CI-Com 6
Targeting and Tracking System: CI-X4

Some times fresh sets of eyes and a new approach can solve the hardest problems. As Clan Coyote’s rivals began introducing their own OmniMechs, new groups of Scientists and Technicians began improving compatibility between the Clans’ upgraded technologies and Omnitech. It took Clan Coyote several decades, but in the middle of their punitive Trials of Possession against Clan Cloud Cobra, Coyote Warriors began to attribute the Cobra resilience to limitations of their First Generation OmniMechs (and not any Cloud Cobra “virtue”, for instance their aerospace dominance or dezgra reserve system). In response, Coyote Scientist at Ernst OPC on New Kent began to reverse engineer early examples of Second Generation OmniMechs, as well as a few Wolf Hunters gifted from Clan Wolf. The Scientists then began customizing existing First Generation Coyote OmniMechs. After some preliminary work, the group proposed a radical upgrade to the Talaria with the blessing of the Warrior Caste in 2949.

The Talaria was chosen as the testbed to upgrade to a true Second Generation OmniMech for several reasons. While all of Clan Coyote’s original and Pueblo Initiative OmniMechs performed to specifications, the Talaria had the highest attrition rates in the Coyote touman, for the obvious reason it was a light OmniMech and not a sniper like the Piasa. Even with more dangerous mission profile, the Khans of Clan Coyote believed a significant increase in armor protection could reduce attrition. Additionally, Ernst OPC, which was responsible for all Talaria gyro production and most of the Talaria OmniMechs ever constructed, was largely overlooked and had been Clan Coyote's most secure testing facility for a few decades. The upgrade could be done their with a greater degree of secrecy. And privately, Clan Coyote's fracturing into Warden and Crusader camps made the Talaria the ideal candidate, because both factions favored the upgrade. The smaller Crusader faction was far more enamored with the agile Talaria; and while Crusaders within the touman clamored for the upgrade, the Wardens within the Clan saw upgrading the Talaria as a means to make the ‘Mech more desirable to the entire Clan, and at the same time disrupt production just enough to aggravate their rivals.

The increased size of the endo-steel, as well as heavier ferro-fibrous coverage, slightly altered the upgraded Talaria’s appearance. This change required a new cowl extending from the torso to the back of the head. While not conferring any improvement beyond the increased mass of armor, the cowl reminded Scientist the God Hermes was frequently depicted wearing a winged helmet. The new OmniMech would be rechristened Petasos, the winged, armored hat worn by Hermes, instead of Talaria II, a nod to both the cowl and the improved armor.

Ernst OPC’s proximity to Eagle Crater also allowed Coyote Scientists to continue materials and weapons research past the natural death of Richard (Remer). Of particular interest was an alternative to using Clan Ice Hellion’s improved myomer acceleration signal circuitry. While able to give the Talaria and other 'Mechs short bursts of speed that could prove the deciding factor in many duels, the system was slightly error prone, and MASC failure was responsible for many lost Trials over the decades. (Remer) had been experimenting with adapting early spaceflight superchargers (IO, p. 35) to Clan extra-light fusion engines. While not necessarily a cutting-edge technology, one of the early Petasos prototypes was fitted with a ‘Mech-grade supercharger, with promising results. Subsequently the Petasoses were fitted and refitted with superchargers, although each one had to be custom built and installed, meaning they were fixed, and until large-scale production could begin, each experimental supercharger constructed was unique.

The Petasos had one more surprise. Already developing their new supercharged OmniMech with the highest possible secrecy Clan Coyote could provide, Coyote Scientist had used the ultra-secure Ernst OPC as a weapons testing facility for a few decades. One of these weapons, "Advanced Tactical Missiles", was nearly ready for testing, so Coyote Scientists decided to use their prototype OmniMech as a testbed for the new system. “Advanced Tactical Missiles” was a system initially conceived and partially designed by Scientist (Remer) in the early Golden Century (FM: WC, p. 190, “Advanced Tactical Missile System” says this explicitly). The system married improved missile guidance with multiple ammunition types, allowing Warriors adjust the capabilities as required on an ever-fluid battlefield. It took a few decades after his natural death before Clan Coyote had improved their technology sufficiently to begin building test-types of this new type of missile launcher. This was in great part due to the Coyote mining efforts at Eagle Crater on New Kent.

While still only in the “test type” stage, these new missile launchers could be initially loaded on demand with three types of missiles, and came with standard Artemis IV guidance. Further research promised later upgrades would be available in the future. However at the time of their hasty “introduction” in 2954 (vide infra), Ernst OPC was the only facility producing these new “ATMs” (at their specialty munitions satellite facility), and did not yet have the capability to scale manufacture of the munitions with installed guidance systems. The prototype missiles performed optimally in live-fire tests, but when fielded in 2954, there were insufficient numbers of missiles to actually use guided ATMs in combat.

Beyond the highest echelons of the Coyote Warrior Caste, the existence of both the supercharger research and the ATM research were tightly guarded secrets.

Capabilities

The Petasos bore some outward resemblance to its predecessor, the Talaria. It massed 30 tons and stood slightly taller at 8.9 meters, with a bulkier torso and clearly heavier armor. The Petasos had a forward-facing cowl between the side torso and head that designers adorned with little “wings”. The feet also had the same wing-like structures “for traction”.

The Petasos was powered by a 240 XL-fusion engine, meaning it could outrun almost every other light ‘Mech it encountered, or strategically deliver Elemental Infantry. Installation of endo-steel allowed designers to maximize ferro-fibrous armor coverage, so it was also one of the most durable light ‘Mechs yet constructed. The NKT active probe, useful mostly for detecting unarmored infantry and hidden units, was deemed unnecessary in the age of zellbrigen, and was therefore removed from the Petasos, freeing mass and space for other systems. However, changes to the original Talaria made maintenance more complicated, especially installation of the prototype supercharger. Until standard supercharger production could commence, the modifications to the Fusion 240 XL required to install custom-built, prototype superchargers precluded them from being installed in an OmniPod, and replacement required a new supercharger to be built and fitted to the engine from scratch.

In addition to radical speeds and full armor coverage, the Petasos was able to mount an impressive 10 tons of OmniPods, more than both the Petasos’s two direct competitors, the Mist Lynx and the Fire Moth. The Petasos’s Primary Configuration was designed as a light ‘Mech hunter, but could also be used against Combat Vehicles, mixing jump jets with ER medium lasers, ER small lasers, and small pulse lasers. While still effective against infantry, the limited range of these weapon systems made the prospect less than ideal in combat versus battle armor. Configurations A, C, and D are all backstabber and/or dueling ‘Mechs, mounting either a quartet of medium pulse lasers with an advanced targeting computer, a sextet of ER medium lasers with a targeting computer, or an octet of ER small lasers, jump jets, and a suite of advanced electronics, respectively. Configuration B is a multi-role skirmisher, combining an ER large laser, an ER medium laser, and Streak SRMs for seeking critical damage. ”E” was designed as a testbed for Clan Coyote’s new ATM system. With the exception of Configuration C, all builds are able to remain near neutral heat with modest heat management, even when alpha-striking.

Deployment

The Petasos was quietly introduced in 2953, with the retooling of several lines at Ernst OPC. The first two production runs of the Petasos were small, primarily because each supercharger had to be custom built, and a new orbital foundry to produce endo-steel had yet to be constructed (all chasses were constructed outside the New Kent system). Because of the small number of ‘Mechs actually walking off the production line, the similar appearance to the Talaria, and Clan Coyote Wardens’ focus on heavier ‘Mechs, only a couple Clans even noticed the new OmniMech. One of these Clans, Clan Ice Hellion, quickly distinguished between the Talaria and the Petasos, and took an unnatural interest.

Paying close attention to Clan Coyote’s escalating conflict with the Cloud Cobras, Clan Ice Hellion decided to acquire the Petasos production, and possibly determine how the new OmniMech was able to outperform its rivals. Little did the Hellions know or anticipate the resistance Clan Coyote would put up or did they?. Two full Clusters of Pi Galaxy were stationed at Ernst OPC, one recently created to take in an influx of older, capable Warriors from Epsilon (mostly in their mid-30s). The defense was coordinated by Star Colonel Ephraim Graves, an early hardline Crusader within the Coyote touman, with strict orders that Ernst OPC and the research on site had to be protected at all costs. After bidding down to his best Supernova Trinary, Graves and his aide, Star Captain Susan Rosanke, led the Coyotes piloting primarily Petasos, Talaria, and Coyotl OmniMechs. One of these Petasos OmniMechs was the “E” configuration; the defense also served as a forgotten introduction for ATMs, although these missiles lacked the guidance of the later, standard versions. The Coyotes quickly gained the upper hand, prompting Star Captain Travveris to order his Hellions to break zellbrigen and begin focusing on individual Warriors with pack attacks. Star Captain Rosanke was one of the first casualties, killed when her cockpit was struck by an SRM that penetrated the outer armor. In addition to Rosanke, the Coyotes quickly lost most of their Battle Armor in the next few minutes. What happened next is... unclear. Most Coyote reports indicate the breaking of zellbrigen boosted the Coyote morale, despite the sudden losses. What is clear is the battle for the factory suddenly washed into the factory itself, destroying the lines producing the Petasos, a few lines still producing the Talaria, as well as the part of the factory required to manufacture the Talaria and Petasos gyro. The satellite research building was also destroyed, and many personnel there died when they were mistaken for Coyote infantry. After the partial destruction of the factory became apparent, Star Captain Travveris ordered a retreat from the Trial, and was summarily executed by Ice Hellion Loremaster Nigel Moore.

Clan Ice Hellion would again attempt to take Ernst OPC a few months later, but after winning the Trial of Possession, abandoned the factory, realizing it required almost complete reconstruction.

While the Petasos was a superb light Clan OmniMech, the Coyotes did not attempt to resurrect the design. Most Coyote Warriors favored a direct fighting style, and piloted either heavy or assault OmniMechs. The Coyote Warden faction largely eschewed the Talaria and Petasos, meaning despite their performance record, both were beginning to develop a poor reputation within the Clan. And even Warriors who preferred lighter designs agreed the Coyotl was still largely sufficient for most Trial objectives. The remaining Petasos OmniMechs were all cached, their whereabouts completely lost to history. The fate of the prototype ATMs and superchargers was also unknown.

It now seems there may be more than meets the eye in the case of the Talaria and Petasos. The Scientist Caste put a lot of pressure on Coyote Warriors to let the destruction of Ernst OPC fade from Coyote history, and not seek retribution from Clan Ice Hellion. The fact that the Scientists at Ernst OPC had working test types of the ATM nearly 100 years before it was officially introduced is incredible. The additional revelation that they had prototypes of working fusion engine superchargers is also amazing. There is also a mention of a “hybrid laser” nearly 100 years before Clan Coyote research dating to the mid-31st century (FM: WC, p. 190, “Advanced Tactical Missile System”).

Beyond the research at Ernst OPC, research into Ephraim Graves also raises even more questions. Graves’ orders were to protect the facility and its research. After Ernst had been mostly destroyed, Graves was promoted by Clan Coyote leadership to Galaxy Commander of Gamma Galaxy. It is unclear if this is the result of political machinations, or if leadership recognized the stout defense of the facilities after having lost several excellent Warriors. Reports of the Trial even led to questions about how Ernst OPC was damaged. Was the damage a result of impulsive Clan Ice Hellion orders, did the Coyotes turn their guns on the factory to prevent the Hellions from taking cutting edge research, or was it something else? Regardless, Galaxy Commander Graves served in Gamma Galaxy for the next 4 years before being killed in a Trial of Refusal in 2958.

Petasos (2953)

BASE

Petasos

Mass: 30 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Chassis Config: Biped Omnimech
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-F-D
Production Year: 3025
Dry Cost: 9,481,875 C-Bills
Total Cost: 9,481,875 C-Bills
Battle Value: 542

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 240 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 86.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 129.6 km/h (172.8 km/h)
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    10.0 tons of pod space.
    Supercharger (fixed)
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    51 points                1.50
    Internal Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             240                       6.00
    Walking MP: 8
    Running MP: 12 (16)
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             10(20)                    0.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 RT
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 105                  5.50
    Armor Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     10           14       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  6         
                                           L/R Torso     7            10       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  4         
                                             L/R Arm     5            10       
                                             L/R Leg     7            14       

Supercharger (fixed)                         CT        -         1        1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 30

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 5
10         0       0       0       0      1     0   Structure:  2

CONFIGURATIONS

Loadout Name: Prime                                          Cost: 10,464,188
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-F-D                       BV2: 1,537

Jumping MP: 8  (Standard)
    Jump Jet Locations: 4 LT, 4 RT                                         4.00
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             11(22)                    1.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT

Small Pulse Laser                            RA        2         1         1.00
ER Small Laser                               RA        2         1         0.50
ER Medium Laser                              RA        5         1         1.00
Small Pulse Laser                            LA        2         1         1.00
ER Small Laser                               LA        2         1         0.50
ER Medium Laser                              LA        5         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 14

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 15
10/8j      4       4       0       0      1     0   Structure:  2

Loadout Name: A                                              Cost: 9,904,375
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-F-D                       BV2: 1,896

Targeting Computer                           LT        -         2         2.00
2 Medium Pulse Lasers                        RA        8         2         4.00
2 Medium Pulse Lasers                        LA        8         2         4.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 24

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 19
10         4       4       0       0      1     0   Structure:  2

Loadout Name: B                                              Cost: 10,243,400
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-F-D                       BV2: 1,743

CASE Locations: LA                                                     0.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA

ER Large Laser                               RA        12        1         4.00
Medium Pulse Laser                           RA        4         1         2.00
Streak SRM-6                                 LA        4         2         3.00
@Streak SRM-6 (15)                           LA        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 22

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 17
10         3       3       1       0      1     0   Structure:  2

Loadout Name: C                                              Cost: 10,313,875
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-F-D                       BV2: 2,518

Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             12(24)                    2.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 2 RT

Targeting Computer                           LT        -         2         2.00
3 ER Medium Lasers                           RA        15        3         3.00
3 ER Medium Lasers                           LA        15        3         3.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 18

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 25
10         4       4       0       0      1     1   Structure:  2

Loadout Name: D                                              Cost: 10,902,125
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-F-F-D                       BV2: 1,405

Jumping MP: 8  (Standard)
    Jump Jet Locations: 4 LT, 4 RT                                         4.00

ECM Suite                                    LT        0         1         1.00
Active Probe                                 LT        0         1         1.00
4 ER Small Lasers                            RA        8         4         2.00
4 ER Small Lasers                            LA        8         4         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 12

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 14
10/8j      4       4       0       0      1     0   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: OMNI, ECM, PRB, RCN, ENE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Loadout Name: E                                              Cost: 10,194,375
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-F-D                       BV2: 1,245
Rules Level: Era Specific

CASE Locations: LT                                                     0.00

ATM-6                                        RA        4         3         3.50
ATM-6                                        LA        4         3         3.50
@ATM-6 (10)                                  LT        -         1         1.00
@ATM-6 (ER) (10)                             LT        -         1         1.00
@ATM-6 (HE) (10)                             LT        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 21

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      4    Points: 12
10         3       2       1       0      1     0   Structure:  2

References
Field Manual: Warden Clans
Interstellar Operations
« Last Edit: 04 March 2023, 23:06:58 by S.gage »

S.gage

• Lieutenant
Hello All,

I wanted to point everyone to the newest Recognition Guide, ilClan Recognition Guide 26, for the latest early OmniMech to be revealed! Great product with some cool content!

As such, I will be revisiting our running blog of early OmniMechs. The nature of this new Omni likely does not influence our previous discoveries, but I will take a few days to look and see what I find. Enjoy!

S.gage

S.gage

• Lieutenant