Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Combat Initiative  (Read 1913 times)

venom9ka

• Recruit
(Answered) Combat Initiative
« on: 21 April 2011, 04:01:34 »
Okay, I'm confused... how do you determine initiative in AToW? According to the Initiative Table on p166,
*To use Skill modifiers, Squad or Team Initiative rules must be in play. For Tactics, the appropriate Subskill is required; For both, the squad leader must be present, active and able to communicate with his troops to apply the modifier.
(underlining added for clarity)

Then in the example on that same page:
Josef’s player rolls 2D6 and gets a result of 5. Robert, thanks to his Combat Paralysis, must roll 3D6 and take the worst two dice, but lucks out with a final result of 8 in spite of this handicap. For the thugs, the GM rolls a 7 for the leader, a 4 for Thug #2 and a 6 for Thug #3. Adding in the thug leader's ability to command his people (Leadership 2) — there's nothing at present to stop him from barking orders — raises the thugs Initiatives to 9, 6 and 8, respectively.

According to p165:
Squad Initiative: Under Squad Initiative, characters are grouped into squads of four or more characters apiece, with one member of each squad designated the squad's leader. The leader then rolls for his squad's place in the Initiative order, when the entire squad will resolve its actions at once. The sum of each squad leader's WIL Attribute score and Leadership Skill levels used as the tie-breaker in Team Initiative. This method works best for fights involving more than ten characters, or when vehicles are in play.
Team Initiative: Under Team Initiative, a designated leader on each side makes an Initiative roll for the entire side in a fight. As with Squad Initiative, the sum of each leader's WIL Attribute score and Leadership Skill levels is used as the tiebreaker. .... This method works best for large combat sequences involving fifty or more characters and vehicles.
it seems that for the thugs to have had any adjustment to their initiative, they would have to make a single roll as a team and then add the leader's skill to the result and all act together, wouldn't they?

I can see where the Leadership skill would only apply under either Squad or Team initiative, but it seems that Tactics would apply anytime. To my understanding Tactics is a skill that reflects an individual's understanding of general combat methods / reactions. Therefore, if they have a high Tactics skill, that would indicate they would be more likely to anticipate the next action their opponent might take under current circumstances, which would help to offset (but not eliminate) random chance. Come to think of it, neither Squad nor Team Initiative even mention adding in Tactics. Is the Tactics skill only ever applied in "Tactical Combat" as per the Tactical Combat Addendum section starting on p200?

Since posting this, I have purchased the 2010 pdf and the quotes above remain as shown. Therefore, I still don't understand how to resolve Initiative for my group. My main questions are:

When is Tactics (if an applicable sub-skill is known) applied to Initiative?

When determining Initiative, which of the following methods should be used?
If acting as individuals (each person rolling);
 a: Initiative = 2d6
 b: Initiative = 2d6 + Tactics
 c: Initiative = 2d6 + Leadership (as shown in example)

If acting as squads (4+ all move/fire at same time with single Initiative roll);
 a: Initiative = 2d6 + Leadership
 b: Initiative = 2d6 + Leadership + Tactics

Since we aren't using 50+, not concerned with Team Initiative.

(Assumptions; Leadership is only applied when communication with the leader is available: also if Combat Sense/ Paralysis are involved, the above 2d6 would be 3d6)
« Last Edit: 18 June 2013, 17:42:02 by Paul »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Combat Initiative
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2013, 17:41:50 »
Looks like we need to fix our example:

"Josef’s player rolls 2D6 and gets a result of 5. Robert, thanks to his Combat Paralysis, must roll 3D6 and take the worst two dice, but lucks out with a final result of 8 in spite of this handicap. For the thugs, the GM rolls an 8 for the leader, a 4 for Thug #2 and a 6 for Thug #3.

The Initiative sequence is thus Robert and the Thug Leader at 8, Thug #3 at 6, Josef on 5, and Thug #2 at 4.  Finding Robert’s RFL of 6 higher than the thug leader’s RFL of 5, the gamemaster determines that Robert can act before the thug leader, followed by Thug #3."
The solution is just ignore Paul.