Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Questions about combat  (Read 1859 times)

Ferretz

(Answered) Questions about combat
« on: 30 January 2011, 16:12:28 »
Hello,

I'm quite new to A Time of War, although I did play Mechwarrior rpg ages ago. It looks quite interesting. :)

After skimming through the rulebook, I have a few question regarding combat. The rules are nice and neat, and they seem to be very playable. However, if I'm going to run this, I know that some players will want to do the following:

-Use two melee weapons in close combat. For instance, a Kurita "samurai" would want to do this, using a katana and a wakisashi.
-Use two pistols, firing them at the same time, even inaccurate.
-Fire several shots of a semi-automatic weapon in the same round.

If I haven't read the rules wrong, these things aren't covered in the rules.   :-\

-Eirik
« Last Edit: 22 August 2012, 03:09:49 by Xotl »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Questions about combat
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2011, 22:14:28 »
Hello,

In effect, the rules support two "Simple Actions" per 5-second combat turn, and an attack--melee or ranged--qualifies as a "Simple Action". This can either be done by one weapon in one hand, or by one weapon in each hand. The rules, as presented, leave this detail intentionally vague, for the benefit of playability and fun.

Hopefully, this helps you.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Ferretz

Re: Questions about combat
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2011, 00:03:40 »
It seems that the rules have a natural flow to them, from my initial impressions.

It would be excellent if there were additional special abilities for personal combat too, like the ones for mech pilots. For instance, granting a bonus to defending while using two melee weapons, or firing two guns at the same time. Would be easy enough to add as an optional rule, as the framework for this is already in place for mech combat. ;)

Really looking forward to trying this rpg.

Eirik