Register Register

Author Topic: Annnd when you DON'T Superheat the Fuel  (Read 1005 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Annnd when you DON'T Superheat the Fuel
« on: 05 October 2020, 22:38:09 »
I got a rough idea of what I'm risking to the game, but dialed the heating part way back, how fast do you think you'd go trough a ton of fuel out in The Black?

… If every other set of sensors out there have their infrared gain set that way-flipping-high, do you now have a stealth flying stealth vehicle? >:D
Goose
The Egyptian God of FrustrationSurprisingly Enlightening©Not Write: Post Good!
"I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."
- Winston ChurchillThus Yorinaga Kurita threw his daishō out of the cockpit of his Warhammer in disgust

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Annnd when you DON'T Superheat the Fuel
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2020, 00:18:03 »
I got a rough idea of what I'm risking to the game, but dialed the heating part way back, how fast do you think you'd go trough a ton of fuel out in The Black?

… If every other set of sensors out there have their infrared gain set that way-flipping-high, do you now have a stealth flying stealth vehicle? >:D

Depends. Are you trying to accelerate?
"“Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” -- Stephen Hawking

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2020, 01:38:45 »
I was kind'a hoping to …

So if you merely heat it to the hot spot on your hull, you'd get a number way below that of a JumpShips station-keeper?

… And you need to be a small craft to get useful fuel bunkerdge? :-\
Goose
- Winston ChurchillThus Yorinaga Kurita threw his daishō out of the cockpit of his Warhammer in disgust

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2020, 03:01:37 »
If you merely heat it to the hot spot on your hull, you're barely going to move.  You're basically talking about a cold gas thruster:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_gas_thruster

With hydrogen, a 20-ton ASF expelling a single ton of hydrogen as a cold gas thruster will get 148.79 m/s, it's final mass of course being 19 tons.  That 148.79 m/s is half a hex per turn.

With a 200-ton small craft, you would use 19.65 tons of hydrogen to get 1 thrust point, ie. accelerating 300 m/s.  A 200,000 ton JumpShip would need 19650 tons to do the same.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2020, 18:41:12 »
Nice number crunching.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2020, 19:54:01 »
… I'm disquieting some kind'a new Mass Driver ammo? :P
« Last Edit: 06 October 2020, 19:56:31 by Goose »
Goose

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2020, 20:18:28 »
there is a reason that stealth in space is hard. which just reinforces that Capellan "stealth armor" on ASF's really isn't true stealth, but rather some sort of deception system.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2020, 21:02:49 »
there is a reason that stealth in space is hard. which just reinforces that Capellan "stealth armor" on ASF's really isn't true stealth, but rather some sort of deception system.

Remember, it doesn't actually work when expending thrust points [in space].

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2020, 21:36:07 »
Nice number crunching.

Thanks.

… I'm disquieting some kind'a new Mass Driver ammo? :P

Que?

Remember, it doesn't actually work when expending thrust points [in space].

Could be worse.  It's cold gas, at least, as opposed to combustion or fusion, so its exhaust temperature isn't as high.  I suppose if you were careful about it, depending upon where you were, you could make yourself look like a small comet that was outgassing or something.

I assume it uses some form of radar-absorbent materials to scatter or confuse radar, combined with active ECM gear.  I'm not sure how it obscures thermals.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2020, 22:10:10 »
Que?
How much fuel, and what kind'a sensors, could you put on 30-ton Lt Mass Driver round?
Goose

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2020, 22:23:28 »
How much fuel, and what kind'a sensors, could you put on 30-ton Lt Mass Driver round?

None.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2020, 13:28:36 »
None.

It's not that you can't put it on, it's that it isn't going to work, and depending how reactive your fuel is, you might get a nice explosion in the mass driver's barrel..or just tear and crush everything simultaneously when you power it up for that first shot.

The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2020, 14:56:18 »
You could shoot it at a lower acceleration of course. I could see it being my used to put a satellite into position using a ferrous sled. Build a satellite at 30 tons and see what you can fit on it.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2020, 18:12:52 »
None.

Cannon-launched guided munitions, even rockets, have a long history. You should be able to at least mount simple steering rockets and solid-state sensors on a mass driver projectile.

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Giovanni Blasini

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 07 October 2020, 18:46:43 »
Cannon-launched guided munitions, even rockets, have a long history. You should be able to at least mount simple steering rockets and solid-state sensors on a mass driver projectile.

On the Battletech ones, though?  Even if you could, given the delta-v they deliver from the mass driver itself, you're not going to be changing your velocity very much with anything short of a fusion reactor, which I suspect a mass driver's acceleration would pancake.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 07 October 2020, 19:25:01 »
On the Battletech ones, though?

There are guided AC shells now. "Precision" ammo, is it?

Even if you could, given the delta-v they deliver from the mass driver itself, you're not going to be changing your velocity very much with anything short of a fusion reactor, which I suspect a mass driver's acceleration would pancake.

Right, but you don't need to change your delta-V much to increase hit chances. Consider this kinetic kill vehicle - it's lofted at kilometers per second and then spends its few hundred meters per second of on-board delta-V playing 2D "Pong" with the target.

Giving a ballistic mass driver shell enough ability to divert to compensate for <60 seconds of target evasion would be useful. An epic-scale example of Precision ammo.

The mass driver shell wouldn't chase a fleeing WarShip or DropShip through tunnels and asteroid canyons, but it could correct for some maneuvering and errors in aim.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2020, 00:58:48 »
There are guided AC shells now. "Precision" ammo, is it?

Right, but you don't need to change your delta-V much to increase hit chances. Consider this kinetic kill vehicle - it's lofted at kilometers per second and then spends its few hundred meters per second of on-board delta-V playing 2D "Pong" with the target.

Giving a ballistic mass driver shell enough ability to divert to compensate for <60 seconds of target evasion would be useful. An epic-scale example of Precision ammo.

The mass driver shell wouldn't chase a fleeing WarShip or DropShip through tunnels and asteroid canyons, but it could correct for some maneuvering and errors in aim.

ehm, what about the electromagnetic pulse you're subjecting that to?
The core rules for interacting with me:

1.) I am not a moderator, game developer, member of Cryptic staff, relative of any members of cryptic staff, not close friends with anyone involved with the game, not a distributor of product, not an employee, employer, professional reviewer, or member of any powerful conspiracies.  What I think is my own and has no impact on the Battletech franchise in any way, shape, or form.

2) If you don't like something I've said, refer to rule 1.  If you do, god help you poor soul, you're screwed up.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2020, 07:38:16 »
ehm, what about the electromagnetic pulse you're subjecting that to?

Turn the shell into a Faraday cage, it only has to deal with a single, very well known pulse. Guidance systems for electromagnetic launchers (also usable on conventional cannons) is a modern engineering project, not an unsolvable future problem.

BAE, maker of the US Navy's railgun, is also making guided munitions for it

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2021, 23:29:43 »
* Pimp that Science! *

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2021, 17:48:05 »
The less said about modern rail gun projects, the better...  :P