Register Register

Author Topic: Earliest Dropship mounting Capital Missiles?  (Read 898 times)

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Earliest Dropship mounting Capital Missiles?
« on: 13 September 2021, 11:33:36 »
Just like the topic says,  what is the Earliest Dropship mounting Capital Missiles?

I'm fairly certain the Overlord-A3 is the earliest post clan invasion to mount them, but, was there something earlier?

Edit, I did fine the SLDF era Mule-PWS that is earlier.

Is there anything else anyone knows about?
« Last Edit: 13 September 2021, 11:37:32 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Re: Earliest Dropship mounting Capital Missiles?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2021, 22:29:52 »
Mule. Then toss a coin for the Overlord A3 or Excalibur PWS.

The Excaliburs are listed as 3059 and served in Op Bulldog. The Overlord A3 is listed as 3058. I am not sure I buy the 3059 date as time needs to be taken to refit the Excaliburs then transport them to the Smoke Jaguar OZ.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tyrannosaurus_Rex and friends.
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4776/overlord-a3
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4140/excalibur-pocket-warship

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2021, 01:08:45 »
There are many undocumented capital missile refits for dropships; commonly on cargo dropships.  Thus the Mule is kind of a 'catch all' for them.  Of particular note, my favorite dropship type without a record sheet is the various 'boomer' types used by all factions in the succession wars.  These were dropships with barracuda launchers and VERY deep missile bays, used for the largest nuke payload and were what bombed every faction back 300 years tech wise.  So we know capital missile dropships were ubiquitous among the houses, not just the SLDF.

Kasaga

• Warrant Officer
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2021, 11:00:48 »
I am not sure I buy the 3059 date as time needs to be taken to refit the Excaliburs then transport them to the Smoke Jaguar OZ.

I am sure its just when the first mention of them was.  I bet they were probably fielded mid 3050's following the Clan's arrival and the race to build warships.  If we work it back they probably fielded a couple as early as 3056 or so.  Who knows.  But first actions were probably during Bulldog.  Or at least that's the BS Retcon story I would come up with lol.

dgorsman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2021, 14:32:43 »
There are many undocumented capital missile refits for dropships; commonly on cargo dropships.  Thus the Mule is kind of a 'catch all' for them.  Of particular note, my favorite dropship type without a record sheet is the various 'boomer' types used by all factions in the succession wars.  These were dropships with barracuda launchers and VERY deep missile bays, used for the largest nuke payload and were what bombed every faction back 300 years tech wise.  So we know capital missile dropships were ubiquitous among the houses, not just the SLDF.

I'm ambivalent as to whether those 'boomers' were actually equipped with dedicated launchers.  Can a DropShip actually mount enough launchers to meet the rate of fire requirements for that level of bombardment?

They may just be primed in a launch bay and dumped en masse through a cargo door en masse on 'smart palettes', like a super-sized cluster bomb, that releases them after a short delay.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2021, 20:50:02 »
I'm ambivalent as to whether those 'boomers' were actually equipped with dedicated launchers.  Can a DropShip actually mount enough launchers to meet the rate of fire requirements for that level of bombardment?

They may just be primed in a launch bay and dumped en masse through a cargo door en masse on 'smart palettes', like a super-sized cluster bomb, that releases them after a short delay.

You realize that by using the term 'boomers' I must now search for and watch my copy of the 'Hunt for Red October'.  Strange thing, I always want to change the 'c' to a 'k' in October.  🤦‍♂️

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2021, 07:06:38 »

It was both if I recall.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2021, 07:45:47 »
You realize that by using the term 'boomers' I must now search for and watch my copy of the 'Hunt for Red October'.  Strange thing, I always want to change the 'c' to a 'k' in October.  🤦‍♂️

Makes me think of Rolf Harris. But you aren't allowed to do that any more.