Register Register

Author Topic: Odd Question Hightech on LAMs  (Read 355 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Odd Question Hightech on LAMs
« on: 11 May 2022, 20:41:02 »
Looking at the Screamer and seeing that it carries double heat sinks and bombbays, now is anything in rules or designed for XL engine into 1?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: Odd Question Hightech on LAMs
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2022, 20:48:33 »
Double heatsinks and bomb bays are and have been normal tech for LAMs, unlike endo IS or XL engines.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

pokefan548

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2022, 20:58:53 »
Looking at the Screamer and seeing that it carries double heat sinks and bombbays, now is anything in rules or designed for XL engine into 1?
XL engines are still incompatible.
Warheads on foreheads.

#FreeMauser
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Fortyone

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2022, 16:33:17 »
I'm not sure exactly where the construction rules for LAMs is at these days, but I'm fairly certain it was worded at one point that you couldn't have a single component using crit slots in multiple locations. Since XLs go in all torso locations and you can't fit all the drugs from endo or ferro into a single location, they're not usable.

pokefan548

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2022, 17:17:22 »
I'm not sure exactly where the construction rules for LAMs is at these days, but I'm fairly certain it was worded at one point that you couldn't have a single component using crit slots in multiple locations. Since XLs go in all torso locations and you can't fit all the drugs from endo or ferro into a single location, they're not usable.
They're in Interstellar Operations: Advanced Eras.
Warheads on foreheads.

#FreeMauser
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Fortyone

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2022, 19:56:35 »
They're in Interstellar Operations: Advanced Eras.

Thanks for that. Given the last set of construction rules I read was from the early 90's, they haven't changed much other than rewording to account for new stuff.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2022, 20:26:13 »
LAMs were in a weirdly convenient state for what they became in Int Ops. Even before the infamous Lawsuit, Fasa had already decided they were a bad idea and had settled on soft-killing them, first shunting the rules to the first experimental rulebook (at a time when they had a policy against publishing things with 'Level 3' tech in TROs and record sheet books) and then canonically declaring the last factory for them destroyed down to the microchip.

That meant there weren't any advanced tech LAMs to contradict when Catalyst wrote the restrictions on what they could use. Catalyst could get away with being strict.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2022, 17:49:56 »
The construction rules may not have been much different, but the playing rules certainly are!  8)